PDA

View Full Version : New Solid Aluminium Platter for the SL1200

Pages : 1 [2]

Alex Nikitin
18-06-2010, 11:55
All I was looking for, Alex, from Dave was something along the lines of:

'Hi guys, I've been playing with the new platter today and have discovered X, Y, Z, which clearly shows to me that the new platter doesn't in any way negatively impact on the speed stabilty of the drive system, so worry not! Oh, and it sounds fantastic and makes a significant improvement to the performance of the SL-1200...'

Had he done something that, instead of creating a shroud of silence on the matter, I can assure you that we wouldn't be in this unfortunate position now!

All others and I would like is some form of reassurance of the concerns we've raised here. Instead we get indignant silence and a rather arrogant and dismissive air of' I don't have to justify my products to anyone' from Dave, which I'm sorry, I find completely unacceptable.

I can also ASSURE you that his attitude in this matter is not in any way reflecting well on him, despite him putting a favourable spin on it. I've had discussions in private with numerous people and they are all telling me that he's doing himself no favours whatsoever. However, if he wants to put his ego ahead of his best business interests, then of course that's entirely his decision!

I do however fully understand that things are still under development with the platter, so I'm not looking for definitive answers at this stage; merely some basic feedback as to what he has learned. Surely to God that's not too much to ask???

Marco,

Thank you for a detailed answer, however for me it is easy to understand Dave's position in this case not because I am his friend and partner but because I am an engineer and not less a measurement fun than Dave. For me, as it is for Dave, measurements are a very serious thing and only make sense if done properly. What you asking for does look simple and easy only for you or for somebody who would not understand all nuances involved. It is not a question of a "definitive" answer, it is a question of an honest one. Dave (same as me) would not attempt to "measure" something just to keep customers happy. There are plenty of "measurements" like this in hi-fi industry - those have very little to do with the real performance. In this particular case of a new platter it is a complex question of what to measure and how - to address the real changes that would affect the performance. Most moments discussed in this thread are off target in this respect. Questions of the motor performance and speed stability with new platter just do not make any sense whatsoever unless you look at these in very fine details. All you can really ask from Mike and Dave: "is the platter safe to use on the Technics motor with Mike's bearing?" - and to answer that you don't need measurement details from Dave, as I would guarantee that Dave would not put on sale a potentially unreliable product. The rest is up to a subjective listening at the moment.

Cheers

Alex

Beobloke
18-06-2010, 12:05
Blimey, it's all getting a bit het-up isn't it? ;)

Just a thought, because it's Friday and I'm in a silly mood:

(Approximate secondhand value of SL1200) + (Cost of new Platter) = (Approximate cost of good condition SP10)

:lolsign:

Marco
18-06-2010, 12:12
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your detailed answer. I completely understand and appreciate where you're coming from, so there's no need to go further over old ground.

However, this is the crux of the matter:

All you can really ask from Mike and Dave: "is the platter safe to use on the Technics motor with Mike's bearing?"

Mike's not the problem here; Dave is.

Indeed, and that's basically all I'm looking for an answer for, along with some idea of if it's a guaranteed all-round sonic improvement. But Dave can't even give us *that much*! :rolleyes:

Some measurements a fellow engineer (such as Anthony TD or Paul Hynes) could analyse to confirm the efficacy of the new platter for the benefit of a wider audience would be great, but if that's not possible at this stage then, no problem.

What you must realise is that I am (although it may not seem it here) on Dave's side, as far as trying to ensure that the new platter is a commercial success in the same way as all the other modifications have been to date for the SL-1200, in no small part due to the help of AOS, but his refusal to work with me on this is unquestionably counterproductive for everyone..................

I get the feeling sometimes that the 'cold and calculating' mentality of engineers is sometimes at odds with the emotive and demanding nature of subjective enthusiasts on forums.

Hey ho, such is life! :cool:

Marco.

Alex Nikitin
18-06-2010, 12:21
Indeed, and that's basically all I'm looking for an answer for, along with some idea of if it's a guaranteed all-round sonic improvement. But Dave can't even give us *that much*! :rolleyes:

Marco, as I've pointed out in my previous message it is exactly the wrong question to ask - if Dave would have doubts about the reliability he would not sell the platter. And to question that is to question his honesty as a seller and as an engineer. I can completely understand Dave's reaction to that question.

Alex

Marco
18-06-2010, 12:23
Hi Adam,

Blimey, it's all getting a bit het-up isn't it? ;)

Just a thought, because it's Friday and I'm in a silly mood:

(Approximate secondhand value of SL1200) + (Cost of new Platter) = (Approximate cost of good condition SP10)

Lol. I think we've been there with that one!

And anyway, didn't you know that this was 'fight Friday'? On AOS, we're all gentlemen and rather too polite for 'fisty cuffs', so we duel to the death instead :fence:

I enjoyed reading David's article on the Brinkmann this month. The D/D fanboys are taking over, me old son! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
18-06-2010, 12:32
Marco, as I've pointed out in my previous message it is exactly the wrong question to ask - if Dave would have doubts about the reliability he would not sell the platter. And to question that is to question his honesty as a seller and as an engineer. I can completely understand Dave's reaction to that question.

Perhaps that's because you've also got an engineer's mentality and so can relate to his way of thinking in a way I'm not able to? The above hadn't even crossed my mind! In no way though would I expect Dave to sell something that he thought might damage the turntable. Let me make that absolutely clear.

As far as I'm concerned, however, there are no 'right' or 'wrong' questions to ask a hi-fi dealer selling products to people. Let's remember that Dave's one of those too, as well as being an engineer, and so his commercial interests in this matter make him far from unbiased! ;)

Personally I think he struggles with the demands of dealing with inquisitive-minded audio enthusiasts on forums such as this, and is perhaps more at ease in his lab, where everything is 'black and white' in an objective scientific way, and thus easily justified to him - a rather different environment to this, which I'm not sure he's entirely compatible or comfortable with. I'm being deadly serious here!

I always did wonder why Dave wasn't a member of larger forums, such as Pink Fish and Wigwam..... I think if one examines that fact closely enough, in many ways it explains something about what I've alluded to above.

Anyway, I think we should just agree to disagree, matey, otherwise this discussion is destined to go round and round in circles :)

Marco.

Alex Nikitin
18-06-2010, 12:45
Anyway, I think we should just agree to disagree, matey, otherwise this discussion is destined to go round and round in circles :)

Marco.

OK, no problem.

Cheers

Alex

Jason P
18-06-2010, 13:19
Personally I think he struggles with the demands of dealing with inquisitive-minded audio enthusiasts on forums such as this, and is perhaps more at ease in his lab, where everything is 'black and white' in an objective scientific way, and thus easily justified to him - a rather different environment to this, which I'm not sure he's entirely compatible or comfortable with. I'm being deadly serious here!

Well, I've kept out of this thread (other than a reader that has at times been both fascinated and appalled) but IMHO Marco, you're being grossly unfair to Dave here. I have no axe to grind - but for a self confessed (and proudly) subjectivist forum your dogged insistance for some form of measurement that will satisfy your desire for information seems at odds to your otherwise vociferously held stance that its listening that matters.

Given Mr Cawleys relcutance to do this - either because it cannot be done to any degree of meaningfulness, or he doesn't want to - you've latched on to this like a dog with a bone and won't let it go, and in my eyes your attitude has been subtly bullying in this, undermining Dave with little chance for him to have satisfactory recourse without acceding to your 'demands' - not something I expect from a site owner, admin or moderator. It's threads like this that make me less inclined to read and contribute to AoS, as frankly they leave a nasty taste in the mouth. If AoS isn't to be thought of as 'Marco's little fiefdom', where any breach of orthodoxy is boorishly shouted down, I think a long hard look at how you respond to those who hold different views to your own is needed.

Jason

Marco
18-06-2010, 13:30
Cheers, Alex :)

Jason, thanks for your input. I will take your points on board. However, rather than going over old ground (I have already answered the point you made in your first paragraph earlier in the thread) and becoming further embroiled in the ins and outs of who's right and who's wrong in this somewhat thorny debate, I'd just like to say this.....

Way back on page 17 of the thread Anthony TD made a rather salient observation to Dave (and Mike) regarding the platter:

IMHO all it would take to put minds at rest is some comparisons by yourselves on the before and after to show improvements or drawbacks, surely you can see that this would be the best opportunity to advertise and promote the new platter and therefore convince the good people here that it's the right way to go?

Nine pages on, we're still no nearer to a satisfactory answer. What Anthony has asked for is simply what I've always sought from the beginning.

Therefore, can you tell me what is in any way wrong, unjustified or unreasonable with what we're asking?

Marco.

DSJR
18-06-2010, 15:23
Marco mate, I suggest this thread is locked for a good while until some definitive answers are forthcoming. This saving faces and preventing any more awkwardness..

I don't know which particular one, but I've been told that the Techie quartz Locked drive was often latched onto cutting-lathe platters (which weigh considerably more than the MN platter) and never suffered in terms of reliability I understand. Furthermore, the only mechanical thing which would suffer is the bearing, and that's already been dealt with..

Marco
18-06-2010, 15:40
Hi Dave,

Point taken, and thanks for your concern, but we only lock threads here in the most exceptional circumstances. Besides, I'd like to give Jason (or anyone else) the opportunity to answer my question :)

I don't know which particular one, but I've been told that the Techie quartz Locked drive was often latched onto cutting-lathe platters...

Wasn't that pooh-poohed by Guy further back in the thread, or perhaps elsewhere? A link which shows evidence of what you're referring to, or something of that nature, would be good :cool:

Marco.

pure sound
18-06-2010, 15:46
That'd be the SP-02 motor that is often used to drive Neumann lathes. It wouldn't be mistaken for the motor in a 1210!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh107/pure_sound/gi.jpg

Marco
18-06-2010, 17:19
LOL - don't look like it to me! :eyebrows:

Marco.

DSJR
18-06-2010, 17:31
Thank you sirs :lol:

I'll now go back to crying over my CD player :(

Citation16
20-06-2010, 15:17
:scratch:

Years ago, people went totally crazy when some started using fat or large audio cables. People started saying that this measurement and that measurement could not possibly motivate getting bigger gauge speaker cables. The idea was or seemed so new.

It was like the whole discussion and refusal when the potato was introduced to market a long time ago ....Human nature resist changes, be it an object, an idea or a religion. So change is either brought upon by a nut case, a genius or a visionnary.....or an audiophile who likes to try things.

I have modified a few turntables; the spare part bin is full or trials & errors & superseeded modifications that tought me different lessons.....
Their comes a point where you have to take an educated guess, take a risk and try something.
I remember years ago when I bought the current regulator board for the Lynn turntable and adapted it to the Michell turtable - the clerk told me it was at my own risk; I was OK with that and the swap was a success...

After a while, you come to know what is a decently made high quality & performing bearing. As for the platter, good platters are mostly heavy and made of metal, metal & acrylic or some exotic material.

For sure, the stock bearing of the Technics is no match to Dave's bearing and absolutly no match to the stupendous Mike New bearing by its sheer construction, weight and execution.
Add the custom 12 pound platter and you have a completly different turntable.
Add the KAB or Timestep power supply, you also get a different turntable...

We are all different about decisions on different aspects of life: sometime we will agree to try something, sometimes we want something well tested and sometimes we just want something that simply works.

In any case, say you do buy the platter,

If for some insane reason you do not like it you can re-sell it....

Yves

Citation16
20-06-2010, 21:02
- here is a photo of the platter.

(Needed to keep the 2 copper pieces because of the high custom 20 mm thick armboard, level with the plinth.)

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=263

Marco
20-06-2010, 22:04
Hey, someone's 'shotgunned' your tonearm! ;)

Marco.

Stratmangler
20-06-2010, 22:10
http://www.audiomods.co.uk/ ;)

Marco
20-06-2010, 23:17
Madness....but hey, if it works, it works! :eyebrows:

Marco.

DSJR
21-06-2010, 07:27
A shame the chap who does these arms can't buy the arm-pipes from Rega as it's the cheapest part (they told me) in the quantities they manufacture..... His mods make sense I think..

Now, anyone with further concerns on the motor-unit's abilities with driving the mass should be comforted with that picture, as those copper "mats" aren't lightweight... ;)

P.S. There's a bloomin' centre weight too...................................

MartinT
21-06-2010, 08:08
The Michell TecnoArm also has holes in the arm tube, only not so visible as they are all on the underside.

DSJR
21-06-2010, 10:31
The tecnoArm has "slots" I believe, which may not be quite the same thing in measurement terms. FFS, there's only ONE main resonance in the arm pipe at around 900Hz IIRC. Surely there are ways of finding out where in the assembly this occurs.

I also believe that Les at Avondale dealt with this resonance by a tensioned long bolt fixed at the cartridge end and down the inside of the tube and screwed into the bearing block, thus making the whole assembly inert..

Stratmangler
21-06-2010, 10:35
You're mixing up the Technoarm with the Origin Live, Dave - the Technoarm deifinitely has holes.

If you look on the OL site you'll see that one of the models there has slots cut into the underside.

MartinT
21-06-2010, 11:50
Yes, deffo holes not slots. I have one here which I must put up for sale.

DSJR
21-06-2010, 12:07
Apologies... I believe Noteworthy Audio have ceased trading in their previous form. there were loads of great pics there and I was working from memory.

Yes, the TecnoArm seems to have TWO rows of *holes* at 45 degrees to each other on the arm underside..

pure sound
21-06-2010, 13:47
Noteworthy Audio are now Deco Audio

http://www.decoaudio.com/

Peter Empson is still there

DSJR
21-06-2010, 15:27
Thanks Guy, I liked the fella's there when I used to call on them back in Jonathon's day and was sad to hear of their apparent demise.

Some great pics there, but I'm feeling very low as many things I knew well have doubled in price in twenty years and income is lower.... Much of the increases seem to have been in the last five years or so as well.

Avondale Audio
26-06-2010, 20:50
The tecnoArm has "slots" I believe, which may not be quite the same thing in measurement terms. FFS, there's only ONE main resonance in the arm pipe at around 900Hz IIRC. Surely there are ways of finding out where in the assembly this occurs.

I also believe that Les at Avondale dealt with this resonance by a tensioned long bolt fixed at the cartridge end and down the inside of the tube and screwed into the bearing block, thus making the whole assembly inert..

Quite true and after much investigation, I've come to the conclusion that this is the only way to control resonance - take it up out of harms way. The new arm I'm currently developing uses just this stategy - a high tension bicycle spoke down the centre of a titanium tube. For bright cartridges, a carbon fibre armtube is preferred by some but still using the tension bolt down the centre - it works a treat. The new tonearm will soon be ready for beta testing as Jeff has managed to make several for just this purpose. For those who don't know how it works, here goes:

Lateral bearing; A micro ground and hardened tungsten shaft of some 3mm diameter is supported by two line-reamed sintered sleeve bearings some 40mm apart. A 3mm shaft is quite sufficient to support the arm assembly with very little surface speed and therefore friction. The top of the shaft is constrained by two opposing ring magnets as is the lower end of the same shaft. The result is that the shaft is going nowhere once the magnetic forces have settled out. There is little hard metallic contact between the shaft and the constraining bearings and so spins freely with little friction evident.

Vertical bearing(s): A pair of hardened steel pins some 20mm apart which locate downwards into bearing cups a la the ubiquitous unipivot. Where this design differs from the unipivot is that the vertical pivot point can be exactly on a horzontal line with the stylus tip leading to much better stability when riding warps for instance. Being twin 'unipivots', a contradiction in terms I appreciate, there is none of the 'rock' under dynamic conditions known to plague unipivot designs.

Results: The prototype arm is brilliant at tracking band four of the Hi Fi News torture record. I've yet to find a commercial arm that will cope even with band three let alone band four. Surface noise is in another world...even major scratches are treated with the same confident tracking with no 'aftertones'.

Future: I intend to publish drawings of this arm for home constructors - it's too exciting to just to end up as a blue chip product for some major manufacturer and really deserves to be enjoyed by vinyl lovers all over.

Once I figure how to upload images, I'll post some links to let you all have a shuftie and perhaps be kind enough to give me a spot of feedback.

All the best each,

Les

Here you go: http://img12.imageshack.us/i/p8120113.jpg/ Proud Father of the first tonearm: http://img22.imageshack.us/i/p8120107.jpg/

What I hoped it would look like back in 1999: http://img196.imageshack.us/i/magnetrak.jpg/

SteveW
26-06-2010, 22:07
Les..
Sometimes life is stuffed to the gunnels with synchronicity, which as it was the worst Police album I ever had, I hope this isn't the case...but tis g'zactly what I'm lookin for.

Thankyou.

DSJR
26-06-2010, 22:30
The "double pin" vertical bearing was used on the excellent Sony PS 8750 (I suspect a real Techie basher in the sonic stakes, but never had the chance to compare directly). I think though that the Sony had upward facing pins...

As I'm sitting down (!) any ideas on proposed retail prices???

colinB
26-06-2010, 22:44
That Audio mods arm is reviewed in the new Hi Fi Choice.

MartinT
27-06-2010, 10:27
I've yet to find a commercial arm that will cope even with band three let alone band four. Surface noise is in another world...even major scratches are treated with the same confident tracking with no 'aftertones'.

No problem here tracking HFS69 bands C or D with the Dynavector.

DSJR
27-06-2010, 11:29
Many mc types used to fail band 2, let alone anything higher in level. The theory's great and I for one look forward to seeing and hopefully hearing one at some point :)

etphonehome
26-02-2011, 16:34
Hi all, sorry for dragging this thread up but just wanna share some pics...received my MN platter this morning...

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0001-12.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0006-28.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0010-12.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0013-12.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0016-5.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0021-2.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0020-5.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0023-2.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0022-3.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0024-1.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_00012.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0002-28.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0004-27.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0006-29.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0002-29.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0004-28.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0005-21.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0007-17.jpg

Assembly was pretty easy with clear instructions from Mike. Although my techie comes with the high verticle capacitor on the lower left of the circuit board and several pins higher than the circular metal that surrounds the coil unit, I did not have to remove the cap or trim the metal pins.
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/IMG_0005-18.jpg

Beechwoods
26-02-2011, 19:24
Nice pictures Ernest!

MartinT
26-02-2011, 19:27
Great storyboard, Ernest. Please tell us what you hear.

Marco
26-02-2011, 19:49
Hi Ernest,

Superb pics - you've really captured how nice the MK5 looks, with its shiny top plate and blue lights, and what a nice contrast it is against the MN platter and the copper mat. I get the same effect :)

No 'ugly gaps' that show the wires underneath the platter either ;)

What sort of mat is that you've put on your platter? Yes, let's hear what you think of the improvement! :cool:

Marco.

colinB
26-02-2011, 20:02
Great photos and a lovely looking deck.

Marco
26-02-2011, 20:04
Yep, Colin, don't you think the MN copper composite platter compliments the MK5 Techy better than the usual (common as muck) MK2? :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

Marco
26-02-2011, 20:47
Just took some 'cool blue' night images of the MN platter, Techy MK5-stylee....

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9017/img0349jv.jpg (http://img402.imageshack.us/i/img0349jv.jpg/) http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6776/img0352so.jpg (http://img194.imageshack.us/i/img0352so.jpg/)
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8717/img0351sg.jpg (http://img841.imageshack.us/i/img0351sg.jpg/)
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/487/img0353ov.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/img0353ov.jpg/)

Marco.

MCRU
26-02-2011, 21:23
Just took some 'cool blue' night images of the MN platter, Techy MK5-stylee....

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9017/img0349jv.jpg (http://img402.imageshack.us/i/img0349jv.jpg/) http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6776/img0352so.jpg (http://img194.imageshack.us/i/img0352so.jpg/)
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8717/img0351sg.jpg (http://img841.imageshack.us/i/img0351sg.jpg/)
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/487/img0353ov.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/img0353ov.jpg/)

Marco.

yours does not look as cool as the other guys Techie cos you do not have the oyaide stabilizer matey...

:ner:

Marco
26-02-2011, 21:25
True, but more importantly than that, Ernest has a better camera!! ;)

Marco.

colinB
26-02-2011, 22:55
Yep, Colin, don't you think the MN copper composite platter compliments the MK5 Techy better than the usual (common as muck) MK2? :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

I bought a mk3 from a dealer. He had a mk5 but he told me, for whatever reason, my one would be better for hi fi use :doh:
The 5 is beautiful. A lot of my kit, including speakers are piano black:doh::doh:

I might have to get one one day.

Marco
26-02-2011, 23:03
Lol - he spun you a real yarn there, as he probably wanted to keep the 5 for himself! ;)

Yes, I love the look of the MK5 - it's the only reason I bought it instead of a MK2, as I knew I was going to modify the arse out of it anyway... :eyebrows:

With an MN platter fitted and an Oyaide weight, it looks really classy, although Ernest must be the only person on the planet with both an MN platter and Oyaide weight, yet still has a stock Techy arm! :eek:

A Jelco 750, Funk Firm FXR, or an Audio Note Arm1, would finish it off nicely....

Marco.

WOStantonCS100
27-02-2011, 00:23
Lol - he spun you a real yarn there, as he probably wanted to keep the 5 for himself! ;)

Yes, I love the look of the MK5 - it's the only reason I bought it instead of a MK2, as I knew I was going to modify the arse out of it anyway... :eyebrows:

With an MN platter fitted and an Oyaide weight, it looks really classy, although Ernest must be the only person on the planet with both an MN platter and Oyaide weight, yet still has a stock Techy arm! :eek:

A Jelco 750, Funk Firm FXR, or an Audio Note Arm1, would finish it off nicely....

Marco.

Might I ask how your Jelco is set up? Is the armboard tonearm mounting position set for a collar to stylus distance of 52mm or 50mm? Thanks.

etphonehome
27-02-2011, 00:39
Thanks, guys. Yes, the Mk5 is indeed a good looking table and I agree with Marco that the platter makes it looks classier.

Again, like the MN bearing, I am really happy to hear the improvements that it brings to my system. I think it has been well discussed and described by others in this forum, like better imaging, focus, better transient response,more bass and seperation, etc. But what really hit me when I tested with few of my favourite LPs are how natural the voices sound and how much more musical it is...everything just sounds right to me (:rolleyes: I am better at taking pictures than writing, obviously).

Ha, ha, yes, Marco, the tonearm is next...looking at the Jelco.

By the way, the mat I am using is the Origin Live Upgrade Mat.

http://www.hi-fi-accessories-1.com/platter-mat-upgrade-composite.htm

Will try with other mats when I can get hold of them.

chris@panteg
27-02-2011, 17:44
Looks very nice Ernest :) I see you use the good old DL160 , i think it is an especially good match with the Techie arm .

MCRU
27-02-2011, 19:42

Marco.

No,no,no there you go again Marco...:)

An SME 4 or 5 or 309 must also be considered, plus other arms even more exotic than that, just because you don't like them it's not fair to dismiss them to others dude. Anyone willing to spend £200 on a weight and £600 or so an a platter may think a Jelco is not good enough anyway?

It's not fighting talk BTW, just my 2 penneth worth having heard what a 309 does when properly set up.:)

Marco
27-02-2011, 20:48
Lol... what are you like? :eyebrows:

Just because I didn't mention the 309, or other arms, doesn't mean that I don't like them. I know full well from experience what a 309 (or any SME arm), for example, is capable of.

I was merely expressing my particular preferences for fitting on the Techy - not declaring the ONLY tonearms that will work well! ;)

If I were to list all the tonearms on the market that you could fit to a Techy, and which would perform well, I'd be there all day - so chillax, brovva :cool:

You should always bear in mind that I'm extremely fussy about cartridges. Indeed, there are only a handful of ones in the world that I'd consider having (I'm serious), most of which require the use of a high-mass detachable headshell arm, which naturally restricts my choice of tonearms.

Marco.

MCRU
27-02-2011, 21:02
I am so chilled I am frozen, I heard a Jelco at Bristol, mediocre at best.:ner:

I did notice reading Hi-Fi world on the way down to Bristol that the Origin Live modded Technics had the power supply wiring slightly different to ours???

The positive was in the same place at the top of the PCB but the earth was NOT at the bottom left, did anyone else notice that? It was not even near the edges but 1/2 way down near the middle?

If theirs gets 5 stars can't wait to see what the time-step one gets next month!

Marco
27-02-2011, 21:14
I am so chilled I am frozen, I heard a Jelco at Bristol, mediocre at best.:ner:

Ha - I just love using mediocre shite, soz ah do, coz am just a daft big bawheid fae Glesga! :lol:

I did notice reading Hi-Fi world on the way down to Bristol that the Origin Live modded Technics had the power supply wiring slightly different to ours???

The positive was in the same place at the top of the PCB but the earth was NOT at the bottom left, did anyone else notice that? It was not even near the edges but 1/2 way down near the middle?

Well, that doesn't surprise me, as not many people will have sussed that's the best place for the earth to go! Thankfully, Mike's diligence, common sense and in-depth knowledge of the circuit in the Techy, has allowed us to glean that particular useful nugget of information :)

If theirs gets 5 stars can't wait to see what the time-step one gets next month!

The Timestep one will also get five stars - no question. And it deserves to, as no doubt it'll sound excellent. However, that doesn't mean a different approach, which some of us here have followed, isn't even more excellent...... ;)

Perhaps I should ask David to compare a 'Paul Hynes/Mike New'd' Techy to a Timestep one, and report his findings? Now *THAT* would be interesting...!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

MCRU
27-02-2011, 21:18
I would have asked him for you (DP) but he was nowhere to be seen on saturday at bristol even though the show programme clearly states hi-fi world editor will be on hand to answer questions, I went past the stand at least 5 times and it was empty apart from a young girl taking subscriptions.

It was Rapha anyway who did the review.

Marco
27-02-2011, 21:25
David often goes 'AWOL' at shows - lol. I normally ring him on his mobby, and we meet up in the bar for a chinwag, once he's finished 'doing the rounds' :cool:

Ah, that's interesting, as it's usually David who reviews all the Techy stuff... Still, it'll be interesting reading someone else's take on things for a change.... :)

I'd bet, though, that when the Timestep Evo is reviewed, it'll be David who does it - and quite rightly, too! ;)

Marco.

Marco
27-02-2011, 23:15
Hi Biff,

Might I ask how your Jelco is set up? Is the armboard tonearm mounting position set for a collar to stylus distance of 52mm or 50mm? Thanks.

Sorry, don't have a clue, as a dealer fitted mine. If you PM Hugo, known here as 'Shuggie', he should be able to help, as he knows all about the recommended geometry for the Jelco :)

Marco.

JazzBones
28-02-2011, 15:39
I've also recently taken delivery of a Paul Hynes SR3-21 PSU, with very interesting results, and I'm awaiting delivery of an SR5 for similar evaluation purposes. The latter will be compared with an HE Timestep, in due course (with and without Mike's new platter).

Exciting times are ahead!!

Marco.

Marco has this side by side comparison been made yet or is it still on the 'to do' agenda, or have I missed the bus :) ?

Ron

Marco
28-02-2011, 16:05
Hi Ron,

Still on the 'to do' agenda, so as soon as you fancy attending to it, lemmie know! :cool:

The SR3 is excellent (it outperformed my then stock Timestep PSU), but the SR5 is a very different ball game again! ;)

I suspect that the Timestep SE is also very good, and it may be that the benefits of the SR5 only really become apparent when one is using an MN platter.

However, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as it were - and so the comparison will be very interesting!

Marco.

MartinT
28-02-2011, 16:08
it may be that the benefits of the SR5 only really become apparent when one is using an MN platter.

Certainly was my finding. Accepting that, the additional cost of the SR5 is well worth it over the SR3.

JazzBones
28-02-2011, 17:47
Thanks for the reply Marco, I was hoping that I had not missed anything as far as PSU were concerned. Little did we think all those years ago when a popping and a pulling in the discos of yore that the tables they used would find themselves into our hi fidelity systems of today :dance: I had an idea the 12XX were good when my son started into disco work and used one of his 1210 (stock) with and unkown MM, early Naim Nait (Waay haay!) and big muvvers of a speakers belting out some of his soul stuff in what passed for his home :(. It did sound quite good but I carried on in the flat earth with a slightly curved horizon way of doing things... I mean it was religion those days, weren't it? :eyebrows: We are really spoilt for choice with KAB, Timestep x 2, Paul Hynes X 2 and now the not so new kid on the block, Origin Live... these are the only ones I know about and of course all the home brew ones... great eh?

Ron :piano:

PS Jeezus, did I really dance like the bod in the icon, I hang my head in shame :rolleyes:

Marco
28-02-2011, 18:00
Lol - don't forget Arthur from the Funk Firm's 'Funked' SL-1200, elements of which are rather intriguing, namely the K-Drive mods to the servo and a rather novel modification of the stock Techy tonearm:

http://www.thefunkfirm.co.uk/Turntable_upgrades/SL1200_upgrade.html

;)

Also due to be released is something called a 'Kinetic Cradle', which is basically an isolation system that screws into the base of the Techy, replacing the stock support feet, utilising some rather innovative ways of tackling the ingress of vibration. I suspect that it could be an alternative solution to the issue of designing a new plinth for the Techie, which is fraught with, shall we say, 'challenges'.....!

I rate its rather novel design and will be amongst the first to try it when it's released onto the market, so look out for a full review :)

Marco.

WOStantonCS100
28-02-2011, 20:05
Hi Biff,

Sorry, don't have a clue, as a dealer fitted mine. If you PM Hugo, known here as 'Shuggie', he should be able to help, as he knows all about the recommended geometry for the Jelco :)

Marco.

Thanks!! I'll do that. There's just something about an SPU... :)

etphonehome
04-03-2011, 12:11
Looks very nice Ernest :) I see you use the good old DL160 , i think it is an especially good match with the Techie arm .

Thanks, Chris. Think the DL160 probably one of the best match with the Technics stock arm. Tried the budget but well received AT440MLA, not even close in comparison...

On another note, finally gotten the Isonoe feet and sorbothane feet...unfortunately they did not work for my system...lost dynamics and bass compared to the footers I was using...the TAOC tite 25MF insulators are so much better, at least in my system.
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/CrispySeaweed/Tite25MF-1.jpg
http://www.japanhifi.com/products/TAOC-TITE%252d25MF-Insulator-4-piece-set.html

Tarzan
04-03-2011, 16:48
Wow! How are they better?

Nardis
16-11-2011, 18:41
Did the concerns regarding how a heavy platter MIGHT affect the electronics doing the speed controlling such they don't work as well as expected due to the extra weight? I'm about ready to buy the MN base plate, bearing and platter.

MartinT
16-11-2011, 19:56
No concerns here, pitch stability is excellent. The only adjustment required is to the braking potentiometer to bring the platter to a rapid stop.

Wakefield Turntables
16-11-2011, 20:06
+1 with that problem a slilght tweak with break potentiometer was needed on my deck as well but apart from that I was pretty easy going!

Marco
16-11-2011, 20:52
No concerns here, pitch stability is excellent. The only adjustment required is to the braking potentiometer to bring the platter to a rapid stop.

+1. Worry not, Jeff. What may appear to be a problem in theory, turns out to be a non-issue in practice, so order away and enjoy! :cool:

Marco.