PDA

View Full Version : Mono cartridges

Slammed56
22-05-2019, 06:23
I’ve been thinking of setting up a second turntable with a mono cartridge as I’ve got a fair few mono records in my collection ,about 100 or so new reissues and a similar number of mid to late 60ls albums
Is there a particular style of mono cartridge that I should be looking for to play these as I keep seeing ones that mention that they are suitable for early recordings
I’ve got the offer of a SPU mono GM mk2 at a fair price and was wondering if this would be a option for me to get into mono playback , any help much appreciated

Stuart

WESTLOWER
22-05-2019, 09:43
I’ve been thinking of setting up a second turntable with a mono cartridge as I’ve got a fair few mono records in my collection ,about 100 or so new reissues and a similar number of mid to late 60ls albums
Is there a particular style of mono cartridge that I should be looking for to play these as I keep seeing ones that mention that they are suitable for early recordings
I’ve got the offer of a SPU mono GM mk2at a fair price and was wondering if this would be a option for me to get into mono playback , any help much appreciated

Stuart

Firstly it's a worthwhile journey. Once you experience what your Mono cuts can offer, I'm sure you will be impressed.

The era of Mono records you refer to, later reissues and mid 60's originals, would point towards a 0.7 mil tip.
The SPU mono GM mk2, I believe has a 1.0 tip which suits a wider groove (pre micro groove) so earlier pressings from say 1958 back.

It also would depend on your amplification, will you be using a Step Up ? or do you require a cartridge which will work into a MM phono, the SPU mono GM mk2 will work directly into a MM. The higher performing (and of course higher cost!) Miyajima's need a SUT, preferably a Mono SUT.

Whilst both tip sizes will work fine with earlier or later groove cuts, there are differences in presentation on the tips between 0.7 and 1.0 and as mentioned earlier, 0.7 seems your route. Also remember that many Mono cartridges will ruin a Stereo record, should you mistakenly play the mono cartridge on a stereo cut.
The excellent Denon DL-102 mono is an exception to this and will play both Mono and stereo with no damage and is a FANTASTIC cartridge for £200 ish,
I just sold one and the new owner is a happy man.

There is plenty of reading to be had in old, excellent, posts on here by Tom (montesquieu) and Peter (Petrat), also try and talk to Hugo at Ammonite Acoustics
he stocks Mono cartridges and I'm sure he can advise too.

Here is a very interesting post on a record collecting blog, well worth a read: https://dgmono.com/2017/02/17/modern-mono-playback/

You are on the right track even thinking about Mono cartridges, contrary to popular belief, simply just pushing the Mono button on the amp is not the answer.

Ammonite Audio
22-05-2019, 10:17
I’ve got the offer of a SPU mono GM mk2 at a fair price and was wondering if this would be a option for me to get into mono playback , any help much appreciated

Stuart

The SPU Mono GM MkII is definitely a good option, but be aware that this is the 'high output' mono SPU, with 3mV output. So, it would need to be paired with a moving magnet phono amplifier, rather than one set up for low output moving coils. The SPU Mono GM's 25um (1 mil) tip is fine for most most mono records, but for the mono enthusiasts a 0.7 mil tip will definitely yield better results with later narrower groove pressings. Ortofon don't produce SPUs with tips smaller than 1 mil, though.

Slammed56
22-05-2019, 15:12
Thanks guys , much appreciate
So Im right in thinking that the SPU mono gm2 might not be the perfect solution for my micro groove mono albums but would be a decent starting point (soundwise) and will not damage any of my mono albums , especially the 60’s originals which are pretty valuable
My phonostage can take various cartridges at the same time so something like this high output SPU would just plug into the MM side , something I hadn’t noticed to be fair , I just took it for granted that the SPU’s were all MC

Stuart

tlscapital
22-05-2019, 15:15
My five cents. What both posters above have said, evidently. So I am a sole Denon DL-102 cartridge user for more than 7 years now. And I am at my fifth Denon DL-102 from which 2 only were bought "new". So I do use them to the "bone". Originals have 'nude' styluses. I've had one re-tiped bonded and bought a used one re-tiped bonded. Both sounded different than the 'nude' (like a bit more "cold") and wore out faster. I will currently have one playing and four sent to be re-cantilevered with a nude stylus to the same specs as the originals. Honestly I can't go back to moving magnet cartridges anymore.

The Denon DL-102 requires very heavy effective mass on the tonearm to perform as it should though. Then loaded between 100 to 200 Ohms. On my system I've set by ear the capacitance to 100 pF and the gain to a loud 60 dB. It truly performs with depth, 'enough detail and is capable to present a big enough frequency spectrum to present a BIG sound stage. All of that, which is plenty enough for me while remaining very "musical". Much more than "analytical". Being no audiophile, I want my music to be rocking. This transcription cartridge does that perfectly for me. Only minding the stylus swap issue...

petrat
22-05-2019, 21:14
All the recommendations so far are good.

From my experience, the Denon 102 is a stone-fired bargain, especially if you mostly listen to rock and pop. You'll probably have to get one from the far east, but online dealers like 2kuki on ebay are reliable and honest. You might also need a heavy headshell if your arm is a lightweight ... what are you using, btw?

SPUs are a step up from the 102 ime, and are good all-rounders, although particularly loved by jazz fans. They cost more though.

If you want more detail than either of those provide, perhaps look at the likes of Miyajima, too. They are especially nice on classical, but do everything really well imo. But, the good ones cost a bit more than the SPUs.

All the above like a medium or heavy arm. If your arm is a lightweight, then consider a moving magnet cartridge, with a higher compliance than 15, such as the Ortofon 2M.

Anyway, let us know what decide, and how it works out.

tlscapital
23-05-2019, 07:17
All the recommendations so far are good.

From my experience, the Denon 102 is a stone-fired bargain, especially if you mostly listen to rock and pop. You'll probably have to get one from the far east, but online dealers like 2kuki on ebay are reliable and honest. You might also need a heavy headshell if your arm is a lightweight ... what are you using, btw?

SPUs are a step up from the 102 ime, and are good all-rounders, although particularly loved by jazz fans. They cost more though.

If you want more detail than either of those provide, perhaps look at the likes of Miyajima, too. They are especially nice on classical, but do everything really well imo. But, the good ones cost a bit more than the SPUs.

All the above like a medium or heavy arm. If your arm is a lightweight, then consider a moving magnet cartridge, with a higher compliance than 15, such as the Ortofon 2M.

Anyway, let us know what decide, and how it works out.

Yes, this HOMC MONO transcription cartridge; the DL-102, was introduce on the market in 1962 and aimed for broadcast. So not aiming at the audiophile market. Yet a perfect fit for those like me who collect and play sixties and seventies soul records, mostly 45 rpm's BTW, who want to hear musicality. With dynamic, depth and a smooth edge. Unlike the similar MM cartridges on the market out there whose sharper edge is not as pleasing IMO.

And honestly I've heard such vintage MONO SPU's on 100% vintage high end gear playing jazz most pleasingly but the soul 45's on the same system sounded like 'muck'. So accordingly be sure to get the cartridge you need and want accordingly. Same fort your amplification stages. So indeed your question regarding the gear the OP has is crucial. In regard to the tonearm effective mass as well. Even though that can be tweaked most of the time.

speedracer
24-05-2019, 10:43
I echo everything said about the Denon DL-102, in fact I sold on a Lyra Helikon mono because I prefered the Denon's sound, despite the price difference. My only problem now is I have a low mass arm so I fear I will have to look for something else.

Slammed56
24-05-2019, 11:21
Well thanks for all the advice guys much appreciated
The SPU mono GM MkII is on its way , thanks RichardA
I’ll see how I get on with it and post my thoughts

Speedracer , if you do decide to move the 102 on please let me know

Stuart

Slammed56
26-05-2019, 17:22
SPU turned up yesterday , a bit tricky setting it up on the 12” Jelco but got there in the end
Just listening to my original copy of the zombies -odyssey and oracle ...... wonderful

http://i64.tinypic.com/aayf4m.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2n8y3de.jpg

RichardA
27-05-2019, 09:20
Very glad you are enjoying it.
Richard