PDA

View Full Version : Peter Hammill at the Junction tonight

chris@panteg
19-05-2010, 12:00
Cambridge Junction

http://www.junction.co.uk/events/day/2010/05/19/1226-peter-hammill

New venue for me , going with my old mate John (a Voyd man) who is a long time fan of VDGG and Hammill, we last saw him live in Bath 1994.

Don't know if anyone else is going but looking forward to it .

Its just Him on his own Guitar and keyboards i think .

Rare Bird
19-05-2010, 13:02
I saw Van Der Graaf Generator in 2005, never again & i'm a VDGG fan at that

chris@panteg
19-05-2010, 13:20
Hi Andre

Well i am keen to see him solo , Bath 1994 ' he played with Jackson and Guy Evans and was devastatingly good .

This could be the last time we see him i don't know, do you think his voice has gone ?

Rare Bird
19-05-2010, 13:35
Hi Andre

Well i am keen to see him solo , Bath 1994 ' he played with Jackson and Guy Evans and was devastatingly good .

This could be the last time we see him i don't know, do you think his voice has gone ?

I personally think he's to straining.. If he sticks to the VDGG stuff around 'Godbluff' & beyond he's ok but but the old material from VDGG's early albums forget it..I never liked him too much as a solo artist after 'Silent Corner, Empty Stage' album...

YNWaN
19-05-2010, 14:55
I absolutely love Peter Hammill - have ssen him live and he was fantastic. I wish I was going to the Cambridge gig :(.

chris@panteg
19-05-2010, 15:35
I personally think he's to straining.. If he sticks to the VDGG stuff around 'Godbluff' & beyond he's ok but but the old material from VDGG's early albums forget it..I never liked him too much as a solo artist after 'Silent Corner, Empty Stage' album...

Thats a cracking Album Andre, but i have to say i really like a lot of his later stuff ' And Close as this as an example ' just him and a DX7 for the most part and on 2 tracks a Piano .

The thing i like about Hammill is his music is thoughtful, intelligent, sometimes witty but most importantly it requires the listener to use there brain to appreciate it .

chris@panteg
20-05-2010, 00:55
Just got back pretty knackered, but it was worth it ' quite superb performance great sound and atmosphere.

Oh and Andre his voice seems as good as ever though he doesn't scream so much anymore .

In the audience were a few long time Hammill followers , he played quite a few from Patience and a couple from Sitting targets and the Future Now, 2nd half of the set he played some from his new album Thin Air .

Great Gig .

Rare Bird
20-05-2010, 10:58
Oh and Andre his voice seems as good as ever though he doesn't scream so much anymore .

Example of what i mean, i was glad to get out tbh, if i hadnt got a lift that night i would have believe me.

eaPTXK94UBA&feature=related

Below is how it's suppose to be, fresh enthusiastic, dressed like tramps, proper instruments & techniques etc...Sorry Chris i'll stick to 40 years ago.

mgPIHu10QxY&feature=related

chris@panteg
20-05-2010, 11:40
I get your point Andre , but you see Hammill on his own it was very different to that VDGG clip and actually i think the VDGG days are passed like you say.

Last night he was excellent and John a long time VDGG fan (he's seen them at there prime) was a very happy chappy:)