PDA

View Full Version : Auditorium 23 Step Up Transformer. First Impressions.

alfie2902
18-05-2010, 21:45
Any regulars here will be no stranger to the A23 SUT as Marco uses one in his system & speaks very highly of it.

I recently bought Nick (Scoobs) A23 from him & it arrived this morning after a very easy transaction with Nick, great guy by the way!

Over the last year or so I've really enjoyed, firstly a vanilla Denon DL-103 then later a nuded DL-103 spooned into a Rosewood body which in itself is quite an upgrade! I used both the 103s with one of Denons own SUTs the AU-300LC which is a nice match & has produced some very nice sounds over the last year! I thought long & hard about buying Nicks A23 wondering if a SUT could really make much difference, & nearly didn't buy it!

Before putting the A23 into the system I played a couple of my favourite albums while my kit warmed up. After putting the A23 into the system I then played the same favourites & wow was I glad I bought this thing! :)

Anyone that uses a Denon DL-103 owes it to themselves to try one of these SUTs the combination is just magical! :eyebrows:

The 103s Dynamics are much better, lows & particularly the highs are extended & the mids seem to flesh out even more, everything sounds more tangible, instruments more real. There is more openness & space with better seperation while keeping the familiar body, bounce & weight that 103 always excels in but with more immediacy & more resolution. :eek:

For me when I'm trying a new conponant it's not just about the sound it's about how I feel the music, some sort of emotional attachment & the DL-103 A23 combination has it in spades. :)

As you can see I am really impressed with the DL-103 A23 combination & will let you know my thought over the longer period.

Cheers, alfie.

Marco
19-05-2010, 10:31
Nice one, Alfie! :)

The A23 is a no-brainer with ANY DL-103. It gives precisely the sonic improvements you describe, which I have of course mentioned many times before.

Basically, anyone who's serious about hearing their DL-103 at its best should buy one - it's that simple :cool:

Keep us posted on how you get on as you get more used to its sonic presentation.

Marco.

alfie2902
22-05-2010, 16:48
Over the last week I've not spun a CD once but played through quite a few records, different genres etc & the extra the SUT adds has been across everying I've played.

I'm not huge Jazz fan but have a few classic recordings & John Coltranes 'Soultrane' has had more plays than ever, the extra dynamics make it stunning & the tone/timbre of his Sax just make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. It never sounded so good with the AU-300LC.

The A23 really does let the 103 sing! :) :cool:

Tiff_Needle
05-01-2014, 22:54
And how do you compare the standard A23 with the Homage T1, that is of course coupled with the DL-103 (pro)?