PDA

View Full Version : What tonearm does one aspire to own.

Vrajbasi
12-05-2019, 08:33
For many owning a Sme Series V arm was a real aspiration these days there are so many choices from the likes of Glanz, Ikeda, bergman, graham, timestep and for deep pockets the Sat etc the choices are unlimited. Cost no object what would one aspire to own as a end game choice.

For me its rather difficult as I like owning a few.

My current likes are

1. Acoustical systems Axiom which seems to work great on my EMT 927 extremly detailed with a great sence of space.

2. Fidelity Research FR66 for sheer scale and plushness.

3. Airtangent 10B very engaging midrange and wide soundstage the most un mechanical tonearm produced in my opinion.

4. Kondo sme v12 this variant of the V/12 seems to float my boat with its sence of solidity and authority and control needs to be partnered with cartridges carefully.

5. Graham Phantom elite 12" not to keen on the 9" elite but in my opinion the 12" variant is very musical great solidity in the bass with a liquid midrange.

6. Time step tonearm a total bargain if there ever was one.

7. Glanz these high mass tonearms need to be heard to be appreciated a real joy. Great sense of weight with a great sense of flow very engaging.

topoxforddoc
12-05-2019, 08:48
Schroeder Reference for me - and it's just arrived!

It will go with my Schroeder Model 2 on my Platine Verdier :)

Ammonite Audio
12-05-2019, 09:16
Since I'm lucky enough to have both Glanz and Timestep tonearms on hand, the one arm that I'd like to hear is the SAT. Not because I want one, but to know how and why it justifies its stratospheric price.

Vrajbasi
12-05-2019, 11:15
Since I'm lucky enough to have both Glanz and Timestep tonearms on hand, the one arm that I'd like to hear is the SAT. Not because I want one, but to know how and why it justifies its stratospheric price.

The sat produces quite a dramatic sound big and bold I find it lacks a bit of delicacy and nuance personally but no doubt its a mighty fine performer. I have heard one on the emt 927 and thought the Axiom sounded far more balanced as a combination. Both are crazy priced Axiom in at around £20k the entry sat is £25k

chris@panteg
12-05-2019, 11:46
It always used to be an SME series V, but I really like the look of the timestep arm and the Glanz.
And now I have a Voyd turntable back in the system I wouldn't mind having the Fidelity Research FR64.

Wakefield Turntables
12-05-2019, 12:02
Not sure, I've had the V for that long I never really thought I needed anything else. Time will tell I suppose.

chris@panteg
12-05-2019, 14:00
Not sure, I've had the V for that long I never really thought I needed anything else. Time will tell I suppose.

It's a great arm, I wouldn't mind having one.

Wakefield Turntables
12-05-2019, 14:25
It's a great arm, I wouldn't mind having one.

I originally purchased mine on eBay, it originated from Merthyr Tydfil from a weird bloke with lots of African masks decorating his terrace!!!

chris@panteg
12-05-2019, 14:51
I originally purchased mine on eBay, it originated from Merthyr Tydfil from a weird bloke with lots of African masks decorating his terrace!!!

Love that, quite like the idea of buying something from someone who's a bit eccentric 😁

RobbieGong
12-05-2019, 15:13
The sat produces quite a dramatic sound big and bold I find it lacks a bit of delicacy and nuance personally but no doubt its a mighty fine performer. I have heard one on the emt 927 and thought the Axiom sounded far more balanced as a combination. Both are crazy priced Axiom in at around £20k the entry sat is £25k

Bonkers !

p147
12-05-2019, 15:35
A reed 3P or come to think of it any reed arm I would love to own, 2nd choice would be the Tri-Planar Ultimate 2.

spendorman
12-05-2019, 17:08
I sold my Acos Lustre GST1 about 30 years ago. I wish I hadn't, so easy to set up, easily adjustable everything. Been looking for one again.

I'm reasonably happy with my Ortofon RS212 and TD124 II, Not put LP's on for some years. Must get round to it.

Barry
12-05-2019, 19:36
No real aspirations. I already own three quality arms:

Breuer Dynamic 5A

Brinkmann 10.5

Ikeda-modified Ortofon 309i

plus several SMEs.

Beobloke
13-05-2019, 08:59
I want an SME V and have done since it came out. My 309 is brilliant and I love it, but it’s not a V.

One day...

GJO
13-05-2019, 09:58
Basis Superarm, by all accounts this betters my Vector 4 by some margin,but at a starting price the wrong side of 15K and no UK dealers its never going to happen.

Vrajbasi
13-05-2019, 10:01
I want an SME V and have done since it came out. My 309 is brilliant and I love it, but it’s not a V.

One day...

Would most certainly be lovely on the amazing Nakamichi

AJSki2fly
13-05-2019, 11:33

One day...

I was talking with a friendly, very knowledgeable and respected dealer a few days ago about arms and part of the conversation was about SME V arms. His view was their performance and clarity can vary greatly, he says this is primarily due to the difficulty setting them up in production with the spring mechanism, and if it is not right they can sound a little lack lustre, SME IV's do not have this issue. So if you go for one audition it specifically to ensure it sounds right for you in your TT.

krugdoktor
13-05-2019, 11:45
I really love ❤️ my Glanz MH-94S! It‘s an „old-school“ tonearm made completely from stainless steel, is a joy to use, easy to set up, gives every possibly adjustment (including azimuth!) and sounds simply magnificent!
I‘ve owned quite a lot of tonearms including Linn Ittok, Ekos, Well-tempered, SME V and M2-9r, even an EMT 929 but the Glanz easily beats everyone! The only downside is the price.
Currently it sits on my (new) Technics 1200G and makes my SPUs sing 🎶.

krugdoktor
13-05-2019, 11:52
Here it is

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190513/6eea695d5cd39dbeb996e34c8dadd2dd.jpg

Look also at the Ammonite Audio tonearm base how it fits perfectly and looks magnificent!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

crimsondonkey
13-05-2019, 12:23
Not a fan of SME V having owned one, just not to my taste.

Have no further aspirations for a tonearm having bought a Sindre with Bergmann's wonderful air fed linear tracker.

Spectral Morn
13-05-2019, 14:21
For many owning a Sme Series V arm was a real aspiration these days there are so many choices from the likes of Glanz, Ikeda, bergman, graham, timestep and for deep pockets the Sat etc the choices are unlimited. Cost no object what would one aspire to own as a end game choice.

For me its rather difficult as I like owning a few.

My current likes are

1. Acoustical systems Axiom which seems to work great on my EMT 927 extremly detailed with a great sence of space.

2. Fidelity Research FR66 for sheer scale and plushness.

3. Airtangent 10B very engaging midrange and wide soundstage the most un mechanical tonearm produced in my opinion.

4. Kondo sme v12 this variant of the V/12 seems to float my boat with its sence of solidity and authority and control needs to be partnered with cartridges carefully.

5. Graham Phantom elite 12" not to keen on the 9" elite but in my opinion the 12" variant is very musical great solidity in the bass with a liquid midrange.

6. Time step tonearm a total bargain if there ever was one.

7. Glanz these high mass tonearms need to be heard to be appreciated a real joy. Great sense of weight with a great sense of flow very engaging.

Yes an Airtight would be nice.

You can buy 12 inch armwands for the Grahams, just buy one of those.

I would like to get an ET2 again, sold mine to a (:steam:) who promised (condition of me selling it to him) to sell it back to me if he went to sell it. He didn't.

Other than that I am happy with what I have.

chris@panteg
13-05-2019, 15:41
Here it is

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190513/6eea695d5cd39dbeb996e34c8dadd2dd.jpg

Look also at the Ammonite Audio tonearm base how it fits perfectly and looks magnificent!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Very nice. Looks great.

Vrajbasi
13-05-2019, 17:52
Yes an Airtight would be nice.

You can buy 12 inch armwands for the Grahams, just buy one of those.

I would like to get an ET2 again, sold mine to a (:steam:) who promised (condition of me selling it to him) to sell it back to me if he went to sell it. He didn't.

Other than that I am happy with what I have.

ET2 is a magical tonearm, especially with high pressure manifold and a decent compressor

Barry
13-05-2019, 18:09
ET2 is a magical tonearm, especially with high pressure manifold and a decent compressor

A tangential tone arm would be the only type that would interest me - but I'm put off by the short arm usually employed and the use of a (never completely silent) compressor.

Vrajbasi
13-05-2019, 18:51
A tangential tone arm would be the only type that would interest me - but I'm put off by the short arm usually employed and the use of a (never completely silent) compressor.

Personally I find silent means low pressure high flow tonearms I like high pressure low flow which produces a leval of weight and scale that interests me with a solid well defined bass. I am using a very large industrial dental compressor with silica crystal filters by wilkerson and refrigeration all needed to get the bass weight I need with a grainless full midrange this is with the Airtangent 10b. Its been a long road to get exactly what I wanted.

That said the japanese cs port with its totally silent compressor is mighty fine at 50k

fordy
13-05-2019, 20:25
I’m a tone arm whore and so already have a few of the usual classics (SME V, FR64s, FR64fx, Phantom and Cyalene to name the best ones. I’ve owned many others too but still on the list to try would be a Triplanar (cos my TT came with a spare armboard for one :-)), a Reed, a Schroeder and a Bruer. I also want to try some more 12 inch tonearms and covet a classic 3012 or a modern SME 12”er and a 12” Moerch. Basically I love tonearms and want to try them all really. If they weren’t so expensive these days, I’d just collect them to own but I will buy almost any arm if it’s well priced and in lovely condition. I find places for them to reside later.

Chivas
14-05-2019, 17:26
Mine would be a more boring and “realistic” choice, owning and loving my Origin Live Conqueror 3C arm, I would love to own the top of the range Enterprise 3C.

A pipe dream is to one day restore and build a classic Garrard or Thorens into a nice wooden plinth with a matching 12” arm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lurch
17-05-2019, 07:13
For me it has to be the 14" Kuzma 4 Point, think it would also look the dogs danglies on my Brinkmann Bardo.

topoxforddoc
17-05-2019, 07:25
Schroeder Reference for me - and it's just arrived!

It will go with my Schroeder Model 2 on my Platine Verdier :)

It's arrived - Schroeder Reference Cocobolo 9 inch with Allaerts MC1B

https://i.vgy.me/b98whE.jpg

Beobloke
17-05-2019, 07:54
Actually, although I stand by my everlasting adoration of the SME V, I have to confess I was rather taken by the Reed 5T parallel tracker at Munich. That looks a very interesting thing.

chris@panteg
17-05-2019, 08:30
The Reed 5T is an extraordinary looking arm, looks like the creation of a mad eccentric genius.

martinjohn308
17-05-2019, 11:09
Since 1978 when I got seriously into Hi Fi and got a Linn LP12,
1. SME 3009 S2
2. Hadcock
3. Grace
4. Ittoks x 3 first 2 arms I had bearing problems exchanged by Linn FOC
5. Aro since 2004 to me the best arm on a Linn LP 12.

Regards,

Martin

hifi_dave
17-05-2019, 11:29
Being a retailer for decades, I have 'owned' numerous arms, too many to list but the only one I 'aspire' to is the Fidelity Research FR-64S.

Fortunately, I do own one..:)

chris@panteg
17-05-2019, 11:41
Being a retailer for decades, I have 'owned' numerous arms, too many to list but the only one I 'aspire' to is the Fidelity Research FR-64S.

Fortunately, I do own one..:)

Hi Dave, Guy tells me it works beautifully on a Voyd, and probably the Technics also.

bigmoog
17-05-2019, 13:20
right now, I aspire to own and use:

Timestep tonearm
The new Glanz

I'd like to test run:

the top SAT - I need to understand why it costs what it does

I await user reviews of the Wilson Benesch Graviton, as seeing it at Munich made it very aspirational....indeed

The Helius Phaedra looks interesting too

Spectral Morn
17-05-2019, 13:33

Timestep tonearm
The new Glanz

I'd like to test run:

I await user reviews of the Wilson Benesch Graviton, as seeing it at Munich made it very aspirational....indeed

The Helius Phaedra looks interesting too

Me too :scratch:

Sat have just introduced their turntable, looks a bit like a Goldmund Studio Reference, meets Clearaudio, TechDas. He wouldn't tell Micheal Fremer how much. I suspect 200K

bigmoog
17-05-2019, 13:38
ugly looking thing tho' and Im not sure its a 'ground up' new design or has proprietary engineering (ie what's the motor etc)....

Neil McCauley
17-05-2019, 14:35
I should never have sold my Breuer 8 Dynamic. I made a serious financial gain and concurrently lost a crucial aspect of musical enjoyment. Nothing else came close.

paulf-2007
18-05-2019, 07:26
I’m a tone arm whore and so already have a few of the usual classics (SME V, FR64s, FR64fx, Phantom and Cyalene to name the best ones. I’ve owned many others too but still on the list to try would be a Triplanar (cos my TT came with a spare armboard for one :-)), a Reed, a Schroeder and a Bruer. I also want to try some more 12 inch tonearms and covet a classic 3012 or a modern SME 12”er and a 12” Moerch. Basically I love tonearms and want to try them all really. If they weren’t so expensive these days, I’d just collect them to own but I will buy almost any arm if it’s well priced and in lovely condition. I find places for them to reside later.
Try a stax 12". It's a kind of unipivot but not a wobbly one. I wanted to know how it worked but couldn't bring myself to take it apart in case I broke the spell

Barry
18-05-2019, 16:44
Try a stax 12". It's a kind of unipivot but not a wobbly one. I wanted to know how it worked but couldn't bring myself to take it apart in case I broke the spell

I believe it is a unipivot in the sense of the arm weight being supported by a single pivot pin and thrust cup, but stability is provided by a small ball-race bearing fitted around the pivot pin, which contacts with a tubular extension of the thrust cap.

Hope that makes sense.

Vrajbasi
18-05-2019, 17:35

I have heard and used the SAT it is a mighty fine tonearm, is it worth the money well it is if it suits your musical tastes, turntable and system. I have heard one one a continuum caliburn and it works very well also on the Tech das airforce premium. In my system it sounds a little too forced and over blown for me there is not enough nuance and delicacy for my tastes but it is indeed impressive. I have the Acoustical systems Axiom and it is far more balanced in my set up it has a gentle flow with amazing resolution and is very controlled which draws me into the music.

I will return to Sat at some point but not as yet.

paulf-2007
18-05-2019, 19:48
I believe it is a unipivot in the sense of the arm weight being supported by a single pivot pin and thrust cup, but stability is provided by a small ball-race bearing fitted around the pivot pin, which contacts with a tubular extension of the thrust cap.

Hope that makes sense.ive heard a similar explanation thanks, still going to leave well alone

dwhistance
19-05-2019, 19:41
Going back to the original question I think for me it's the Schroeder Reference as it is supposed to work very well with both my favourite cartridges. At the moment I'm using a Fidelity Research FR64fx with an AudioNote Io Ltd and a Decca C4E, both in Orsonic Headshells, and a Graham 2.2 with a CartridgeMan Music Maker 3 as a "standby" but I'm about to build a new plinth for my Garrard to take 12" arms and may well try a Schroeder if I can persuade myself to spend the money.

David Whistance

Chivas
22-05-2019, 19:04
Going back to the original question I think for me it's the Schroeder Reference as it is supposed to work very well with both my favourite cartridges. At the moment I'm using a Fidelity Research FR64fx with an AudioNote Io Ltd and a Decca C4E, both in Orsonic Headshells, and a Graham 2.2 with a CartridgeMan Music Maker 3 as a "standby" but I'm about to build a new plinth for my Garrard to take 12" arms and may well try a Schroeder if I can persuade myself to spend the money.

David Whistance

I now have a new arm to add to my bucket list if my numbers come in!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petrat
22-05-2019, 21:40
Had a few decent tonearms over the years, but these are the ones I'd still like to try.

In the super heavyweight division, it'd be either a 12 inch Glanz or the 12 inch Ikeda ... although the looks (and geometry) of the latter put me off a bit.

In the light heavyweight division, it'd be the 4 point Kuzma ... just to see if Fremer is justified in all his superlatives.

Middleweight would be a mint SME 3012R ... some claim it's never been bettered.

Lightweight might be an Aro ... if someone will set it up for me.

shawnwes
24-05-2019, 00:51
Until a lottery win comes my way I already own it. Just installed an Audiomods Series 6 and it's a large step up from the Rega 250 I was using.

wino2020
26-05-2019, 16:04
Maybe a bit more modest than some, but a 12 inch Audio Origami seems a good option to me. Not too ridiculous a price unless a special finish is required and yet to hear a bad word spoken about one.

AJSki2fly
26-05-2019, 16:14
I personally am very pleased with my hybrid SME IV, it is virtually built as a V but does not have the spring mechanism, the rest is a a V with a IV wand and removable head shell. It was a special order that someone changed their mind about and I ended up with it. Sounds great and easy to set up.

Also I have always wanted to try a 10" arm and having moved to a Voyd that will accommodate both 9" and 10" I am about to invest in the new Jelco TK-850M that has had some great reviews. It will be interesting to compare this to the SME.

I would some day also like to try out a Graham Phantom or 2.2, and a good uni-pivot, maybe a Wilson Benesch, when finances allow.