PDA

View Full Version : Help a div set up caiman as preamp on biamp system

Ashmore
18-05-2010, 14:29
Hello

So I've been reading how some of you are using the Caiman as a preamp and reporting good results. I'm tempted to give it a try myself, but I'm easily confused - which wires to stick in which holes - so could I get some expert views on how to achieve the best setup on my system please?

I currently have an SB3 feeding the caiman, connected to an Arcam A85, which, along with a P80, is biamping my PMC FB1+s.

Am I correct in thinking that I could use the Arcam A85 as though it were another power amp, somehow bypasing the preamp circuitry? Then I could have the A85 running the mid/bass and the P80 (which has lower power but the same gain) running the tweaters.

Is that right? How should I set it up? And, assuming I don't electrocute myself in the process, what differences might I reasonably expect?

Ta

Simon

Codifus
18-05-2010, 16:44
Connect the pre amp (variable) RCAs of the Caiman to the PWR IN jacks on your Arcam A85.

There's a PRE/PWR button on the back of your A85. Make sure it is pressed in.

Done. The volume control on your Caiman is now THE volume control of your system.

Power it up and enjoy:)

CD

The Grand Wazoo
18-05-2010, 20:09
If you fancy a bit of reading then this might help:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6027

..........and there's this in the library:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5818

Codifus
18-05-2010, 21:07
I just realized that you have 2 amplifiers, and I left out the P80 in my 1st suggestion.

To keep your bi-amping configuration intact, you would then need 2 RCA Y cables like this;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0010CRJNI/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

The single side of this RCA cable would connect to the Caiman. In other words, the Caiman would be the bottom of the letter Y and the A85 would be the top left of the letter Y whilst the P80 would be the top right of the letter Y.

Connect the LEFT pre amp (variable) RCAs of the Caiman to the LEFT PWR IN jacks on your Arcam A85, and the LEFT IN of your P80.

Connect the RIGHTpre amp (variable) RCAs of the Caiman to the RIGHT PWR IN jacks on your Arcam A85, and the RIGHT IN of your P80.

There's a PRE/PWR button on the back of your A85. Make sure it is pressed in.

Done. The volume control on your Caiman is now THE volume control of your system.

Power up, bi-amp, and enjoy.

DSJR
18-05-2010, 21:17
PLEASE watch the loading....

Check with Stan that the Caiman variable out is up to it, as half the input impedance (two amps per channel parallelled together) will try to draw double the tiny current from the Caiman output stage unless I'm mistaken.

Butuz
18-05-2010, 21:19
Will it draw double the current from the pre, or will each amp get half the current? I would guess the latter?

Interested if stan could confirm as this Y lead is what I was thinking of doing possibly!!!

Butuz

Ashmore
18-05-2010, 21:37
Super

Thank you all for your responses. I will check with Stan about the loading.

Codifus, super answer thank you. I guess I now have no need for the Chameleon lead I just bought to link my A85 to the P80! Oh well, I'm sure it'll come in handy for another system one day...

I shall report my findings in a week or so.

Simon

Codifus
18-05-2010, 21:50
PLEASE watch the loading....

Check with Stan that the Caiman variable out is up to it, as half the input impedance (two amps per channel parallelled together) will try to draw double the tiny current from the Caiman output stage unless I'm mistaken.

Hopefully Stan the man will say that his DAC, umm, can:lol:

CD

The Grand Wazoo
18-05-2010, 21:56
If you already have a spare set of normal cable lying around you can use some of these. I used something like this for years.
http://www.splaudioservices.co.uk/cdata/6030/img/6030_1985540.jpg

Ashmore
22-05-2010, 13:43
Stan said give it a go so I did.... and it caught fire!

I'm kidding, it didn't really.

Firstly I used a couple of Y RCAs from Maplin. The increased detail was very apparent, but the bass had vanished and I had the feeling that whilst my system was now undoubtedly more revealing, it wasn't so enjoyable to listen to. I'd liken it to looking at a high res photograph that's just a touch overexposed, fascinating but a bit irritating. I should add at this stage that, prior to using the caiman as preamp, I had been listening with a little bit of bass tone dialed in on the A85.

I took the cables back and swapped them for a couple of RCA splitter adapters, which I am now using with the interconnects made redundant by this set up. It turns out that decent cables do make some difference (I should bl**dy think so too given how much they cost me).

My early conclusion is that the Caiman as preamp to two Arcan power amps (one for highs and the other mid/bass) is the best I've heard my system sound. The bass is more or less restored and the detail is really quite astonishing. I'm hearing tone and character in voices, guitars and percussion that simply wasn't there before. More listening is required, but I think I shall come to regard it as a significant upgrade. Not bad for seven quid.

Simon

Codifus
22-05-2010, 14:06
Stan said give it a go so I did...........My early conclusion is that the Caiman as preamp to two Arcan power amps (one for highs and the other mid/bass) is the best I've heard my system sound. The bass is more or less restored and the detail is really quite astonishing. ......

Simon

Glad to hear it worked out for you. When I turned my 7520 into a preamp, there was absolutely no going back for me either:)

CD

The Grand Wazoo
22-05-2010, 16:52
Crackin' job, well done!

Alex_UK
30-05-2010, 20:29
Every time I read this suggestion (Caiman as a pre-amp) and then the resultant success I immediately want to rush and try it myself using my old Audiolab 8000S in Power mode - but I really don't think I could live long-term without Remote control of my volume - but hey ho, maybe one day I'll give it a go - glad it worked for you Simon.

Ashmore
30-05-2010, 21:09
Thanks Alex

I've now had a while to audition the system in this configuration and it continues to impress me. Though there is a trade off; the transparency comes at the cost of a bit of weight. I'm going to get Jimmy to bling my Caiman soon so maybe this will reintroduce a touch more bass.

I understand your remote issue - I've still got the squeezebox remote. I like not moving.

Simon

Alex_UK
30-05-2010, 21:18
I understand your remote issue - I've still got the squeezebox remote. I like not moving.

Yep, you got me there - I should just FLAC the whole flamin' lot and use the Soundbridge remote, but I just love those shiny silver disks, like I love the big black ones that came before... maybe I'm just a tactile kind of guy, though my wife would probably argue! ;)

Peter Galbavy
31-05-2010, 09:33

Me too, but on the SB3 the volume control is really impactful below about 85%. Not tried it yet on the Touch but I might at some point. For now I turn up the Caiman and *sometimes* turn the Touch volume down from 100 as a slight level adjustment rather than volume control.

Ashmore
31-05-2010, 20:01
Agreed, I have made a similar observation.