PDA

View Full Version : Little diy project I need some help with

The Vinyl Adventure
17-05-2010, 19:22
This is the switch/strobe assy out of a 1210

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/P1000506.jpg

this is the pcb (the red an brown wires go to the strobe)

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/P1000507.jpg

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/P1000508.jpg

as I will likely be getting the new platter I have no need for the strobe.
As I have no need for the strobe I would like to move the switches out of the deck and have them in a separate box...

I am wondering if anyone could make me a simplfied version of the pcb, but just point 2 point wired so I could more easily mount them in a simple little black box to sit under the tt?
Obviously il buy the bits (with advice) and pay for anyones time ... So what you think? Anyone?

Please no funny funny coments about me being a bodger, haha, we heard it all before... It's gonna look shit hot when I'm done and you knows it!

The Vinyl Adventure
17-05-2010, 19:37
I Want to put them in a little box like this to sit under the table... 2 little toggle switches would be nice, one for start/stop and one for 33/45

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/72373e74.jpg

Might I even manage this my self?

The Vinyl Adventure
17-05-2010, 21:46
No takers?

Stratmangler
17-05-2010, 22:16
Those buttons all look to be push to make then break devices - means that you can forget having toggle switches as those babies are part of a logic control.

Barry
17-05-2010, 22:26
Those buttons all look to be push to make then break devices - means that you can forget having toggle switches as those babies are part of a logic control.

You can buy toggle switches that are 'make before break', though they are not easy to find.

Regards

The Vinyl Adventure
17-05-2010, 22:26
I suspected that would be the case... Worth an ask though ... I get the impression I'm not gonna get to far with this...

Primalsea
18-05-2010, 06:17
Hi Hamish,

What you want to do is entirely possible and should not be to much of a headache mentally. If you look at the PCB tracks you will see that S201 & S203 are non latching push to make switches (as said above). S202 I cant quite see the tracks properly, it might be the same but it looks like all 4 pins are connected. This may or may not mean anything and usually the best way to establish a switches workings is to use a multi meter and work out what pins are connected when the switch is not pushed in, then work out what pins are connected when it is pushed.

Then its just a case of finding switches or buttons that do the same thing. The problem with most commonly available buttons is that they are a bit ugly!

I think the best way if not a slightly difficult one would be to mount the PCB and the Button Mounting Plate in your little box. You will need to hack a few bits off the plate and cut some rectangular holes in your box but it would look better in the end. The pcb could be stuck in the box with Silicone Sealant. A Dremel is probably a must for such a project.

If you dont feel confident I can do it for you if you dont mind waiting until I can get round to it as things are a bit hectic at the moment. Just send me the box, the Buttons and PCB. I might have some connectors and 5 core wire laying around anyway so with luck noting would have to be ordered.

The Vinyl Adventure
18-05-2010, 10:05
Cheers Paul! I might well tak you up on that!
I did think about just puttin the whole pcb in a separate box but figured in the end I might come unstuck when it came to it looking half decent!

Dave pointed me to the circuit diagram on ve and it looks to my untrained eyes like a single pole switch so I've been looking at some switches and found these metal "security switches" single pole normally open seems to be what I need. They look pretty cool I recon ... What do you think? Might they be any good? I think they might just be a bit big!

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?N=411+1002730

Primalsea
18-05-2010, 12:28
Hi Hamish,

They do look a little (HUGE) big. I still think using the original buttons from the TT will look best. You (I) can cut rectangular holes in the top of the case and glue the plate that holds the buttons inside the case. That way you will have the legends as well.

I have a trick that hides a multitude of sins if I balls up cutting holes. I use sticky back vinyl or Neoprene foam as a face plate to hide the dodgy cutting. The case is Alu though so easy to cut without making a mess of it.

PM me if you are interested in going ahead.

The Vinyl Adventure
18-05-2010, 12:58
Hi Hamish,

They do look a little (HUGE) big. I still think using the original buttons from the TT will look best. You (I) can cut rectangular holes in the top of the case and glue the plate that holds the buttons inside the case. That way you will have the legends as well.

I have a trick that hides a multitude of sins if I balls up cutting holes. I use sticky back vinyl or Neoprene foam as a face plate to hide the dodgy cutting. The case is Alu though so easy to cut without making a mess of it.

PM me if you are interested in going ahead.

def want to, i just tried to explain some of the complications and got a bit confuddled .. it would be easier to explain on the phone... you still got my number? if so giz a ring when you got a mo!
cheers for your help