PDA

View Full Version : Hans Polak Non Plus Ultra M/M Phono Stage

Jazid
05-05-2019, 19:42
SOLD, SOLD, SOLD

OK here's something unusual. In my line of op-amp investigations I came across this offering on DIYAudio a month or so back. It's built by Kim Bay Smidt who I have had many happy dealings with and used as his own 'destination' phono stage until he sold up his analogue end.

The Hans Polak phono stage is a no compromise design by a talented designer, produced commercially as the reference stage for Allard Audio in Holland, and at one point in time as unpopulated PCBs for DIYAudio. The circuit is explained in Linear Audio Vol 12 but I cannot reproduce it because of copyright infringement. His brief was to compete with commercial products in the £10-20k price point, specifically Boulder and Ypsilon. Originally it was a MC stage, however Kim wanted to stick with his 5mV/cm cartridge and so got Hans to adjust the circuit for MM stages.

The phono stage is fully differentially balanced with floating RCA inputs and balanced output connectors. It has the usual 47kOhm input impedance and adjustable cartridge capacitive loading via a pair of toggle switches on the rear which offer 0 - 47 - 100 pF on each channel. It also has a defeatable rumble filter operating at off, -3dB@11Hz, and -3dB@15Hz. Overload margin 30dB, ultra-precision passive RIAA filter with accuracy within +-0.1dB 20Hz-100kHz, phase angle

flapland
05-05-2019, 21:41
Hi James,

Any reason this wouldn't work with balanced to rca adapters on the output side. If not I would like to take it please.

Thanks,

Paul

Jazid
05-05-2019, 21:54
No reason, it works fine into the Arcadia!
PM and I will reply tomorrow morning [emoji854]

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

walpurgis
06-05-2019, 07:02
You need to show the rear connections James. Most will know what to expect, but it is a requirement. Ta.

JohnJo
06-05-2019, 07:07
Bottom photo shows rear connections Geoff.

walpurgis
06-05-2019, 07:08
OK.

struth
06-05-2019, 07:38
Looks a fine machine

Jazid
06-05-2019, 14:25
It is, and it's sold to a lucky AoS'er.
Many thanks for all the interest chaps [emoji106]

flapland
06-05-2019, 14:29
It is, and it's sold to a lucky AoS'er.
Many thanks for all the interest chaps [emoji106]

Thanks James for such an easy deal even if it was completed on the street in such a rough part of London. :lol: Hopefully the female XLR to rca adapters will come tomorrow so I can give it a spin.

Will send you a PM for the diagrams before I forget.