PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Sky

gninnam
30-04-2019, 17:33
So, after 25 years or so of having a Sky subscription I cancelled it today.
Been using Netflix and Amazon (plus other streaming apps) and finally added Hayu to Amazon for the wife's 'House wife's of...' so no need for Sky anymore.
They tried to offer me a good deal but the money I will save means I can look to do other things (HiFi upgrade or get my camper van finally on the road....)

31 days left of using it then off it goes.
Never thought it would happen to be honest.

Also - started a thread sometime ago about going to Virgin but everyone in the area I live in who went to them, have had nothing but major issues (around 30 percent have cancelled the whole lot) so will stay as I am for now on the broadband front

Ian7633
30-04-2019, 17:57
I gave up Sky about 6 years ago, I just found that most of what I watched was on Freeview anyway. I've got Netflix and Amazon which cover my viewing wants. At £60 a month plus extra to watch some boxing or other events Sky is just too expensive.

Spectral Morn
30-04-2019, 19:15
I dumped Sky last month, at £40 a month for TV I was barely watching it wasn't worth it. They too tried to offer me a better deal, I refused. My phone and net is still via them - for now.

I have Netflix and have discovered lots of TV that is better than what Sky had.

gninnam
01-05-2019, 14:52
I have been trying to ditch it for years but the other half wouldn't let me.
Cost is a big factor, nowadays you can so much more for a lot less seems daft to stay - although I am sure they will end up using streaming instead of satelite soon.

Audio Al
01-05-2019, 16:57
My monthly payment was £68 a month , I was told its going up to improve the system to £71 , I phoned and asked to cancel , Oh hold on lets see what we can do for you , If we offered you the same as you have now for £48 a month would you stay

My reaction was !!!!****^%%%$£@@@!!! off , never been back since :)

Pharos
01-05-2019, 17:08
Haggling seems to be standard practice now, Talk Talk does it all the time with me.

struth
01-05-2019, 18:01
Broadband wise I usually move after the Con tract end as they jack up price, unless I complain. Companies now are only after new business so they get the cheap deals in the knowledge that a good chunk won't argue with the higher price later as its too much effort.
Less than 6 months left on my current 18 month deal with talk talk.
Been reasonably happy with them tbh bar the really shitty router

Jac Hawk
01-05-2019, 19:36
Me too I ditched sky cos like others all I was watching was re runs or it was on freeview, mine was turned off last week and one thing that's pissed me off is unless you have a subscription you can't use the sky box to record, like everyone else I have prime and Netflix and I've just taken on now TV at £7 a month for Game of Thrones

Pepperamip
02-05-2019, 05:26
I ditched sky 3 months ago and went with Vodafone for my home broadband. £24pm for their superfast 2 service and its been excellent so far.

Ive got a minix android box which has been the best one by a mile of many I've had over the years. It even allows me to watch a relatives sky go without the app realising its outputting through hdmi. Netflix, amazon prime, free view and iptv service I shan't name sort out the rest.

Only issue now is sky constantly calling me to return to them.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Minstrel SE
07-05-2019, 10:17
The TV licence is enough for me. Ive always made a point of not paying for Sky. I dont think Im missing much. I dont really watch sport. Im just a poor boy from a poor family....will you do the fandango....its more that they wont pry any money away from me

Tv comes way down the list after computer games and music. I think I get enough from the main freeview channels

Marco
07-05-2019, 22:17
Virgin Full House package fanboy here!:)

Nothing to touch their broadband speed, and it's also very reliable. As a major footy fan, and especially as I support a Scottish team, with Scottish football getting hee-haw coverage here, I *need* Sky and BT Sports, to watch Celtic games, so could never do without them:nono:

Plus, with the Virgin Full House package, I have access to both Sky and Virgin movies, which is ample for me. I love a good film, but don't watch them *that* often, so have no real interest in Prime or Netflix, as I'd never use them often enough to warrant the subscription. I'm more likely to spend the dosh instead on some good 4K Blurays!

As they say, different strokes for different folks....

Marco.

gninnam
08-05-2019, 18:36
I wanted to go with Virgin but around here I do not know anyone who has had nothing but trouble.
Will leave it for another year and hopefully all the issues will have been sorted then might look to it.

Don't just use Netflix and Amazon for movies but also watch a lot of series on them also!

Mr.Ian
16-08-2019, 10:22
I agreed a deal with Sky that they subsequently didn't honour ! and when I complained by email they told me I couldn't cancel unless they agree to it in a premium rate phone call !! needless to say I haven't been back. VM broadband is fast and reliable but its a very expensive service with huge in contract price hikes. Just been told my BB rental is going up by 10%! The price is getting silly now. A move to Three 4g broadband should give me 25meg or there abouts; and its half the VM price.

struth
16-08-2019, 10:41
i ended up taking another contract with talktalk with their new router flung in. its a better unit and much faster wifi. It never gave me any issues over first contract so thought what the hell...
I use Amazon prime and netflix, plus apple . all works well. I dont have a tv licence as i dont use it. they were fine with it(or have been so far).

gninnam
16-08-2019, 11:06
Ended up changing my ISP to BT as know a few peeps who use them and so far so good.
Plus, when visiting my mum who does not have broadband we get to use the free BTWifi :)

For TV, duties still using freeview, Amazon and Netflix (plus some dodgy movie websites) - not missing Sky at all!!

Audio Al
17-08-2019, 15:15
I dumped Sky years ago , piss take on pricing :steam:

Filterlab
11-04-2021, 18:47
Never had Sky TV. I used their broadband at my previous house and it was all good.

No broadcast TV or license here, don't touch any BBC ever. Netflix and Prime for absolutely everything.