PDA

View Full Version : Aldous Harding - Designer

Jimbo
25-04-2019, 15:59
For me I am sure nothing will better this album this year. I felt the same about her previous album 'Party' and most of the music press have been giving her new album 'Designer' very high praise indeed. I am not surprised.

I can't wait for my copy to be delivered this weekend -vinyl of course!

Check out this video of her first single off the album.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZeJr5ppm8

stairpost
25-04-2019, 23:17
For me I am sure nothing will better this album this year. I felt the same about her previous album 'Party' and most of the music press have been giving her new album 'Designer' very high praise indeed. I am not surprised.

I can't wait for my copy to be delivered this weekend -vinyl of course!

Check out this video of her first single off the album.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZeJr5ppm8

That's a very enjoyable song, great feel and sound, I could easily see myself wanting to hear more. I do wish I hadn't seen the video though, it put me off a bit.

Jimbo
26-04-2019, 05:31
She is now living near you In South Wales , Cardiff I think.

Yes her videos are a bit disconcerting, but her music is sublime. If you liked the Barrel and you have Spotify have a listen to 'Treasure' off her new album.

stairpost
26-04-2019, 06:09
She is now living near you In South Wales , Cardiff I think.

Yes her videos are a bit disconcerting, but her music is sublime. If you liked the Barrel and you have Spotify have a listen to 'Treasure' off her new album.

The video struck me as an exercise in how ludicrous can we go and still get people to say it's brilliant. Which I suppose in itself is actually quite clever, but it was too art school obvious for me.

I heard another track from the album and am now addicted, I ordered the LP.

Great recommendation, cheers.

stairpost
29-04-2019, 19:22
The album arrived today, had a listen this evening. Brilliant!

Jimbo
29-04-2019, 19:40
The album arrived today, had a listen this evening. Brilliant!

She is an amazing artist producing some of the most interesting music I have heard for years which works on many levels. Amongst all of the fabulous reviews she has had for Designer this one sums up pretty much how I hear her new album.

http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2019/04/29/aldous-harding-designer-4ad/

karma67
30-04-2019, 06:49
Sweet as! I’m ordering :)

Jimbo
30-04-2019, 09:13
Sweet as! I’m ordering :)

Its a bit lighter than Party Jamie but I am amazed at the stuff she has written - true musical genius in my book.

Once some of her tracks get into your head they stay there!:)

Jimbo
01-05-2019, 06:18
One new track Aldous did not put on the album but I wish she had!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8wUGZPPJ7U

Audio Al
01-05-2019, 12:11
Is she for real or is the video a spoof :scratch:

Jimbo
01-05-2019, 12:46
Is she for real or is the video a spoof :scratch:

She inhabits her own universe.:)

stairpost
02-05-2019, 17:42
She inhabits her own universe.:)

I'm glad this was not the first I saw of her, I find it very hard to watch. I just don't 'get it' I guess.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PqnUL7HGvZ0

Jimbo
02-05-2019, 19:17
I'm glad this was not the first I saw of her, I find it very hard to watch. I just don't 'get it' I guess.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PqnUL7HGvZ0

You have to remember it is just a performance.

This is what she is really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhy_czq8z0Y

stairpost
02-05-2019, 19:52
You have to remember it is just a performance.

This is what she is really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhy_czq8z0Y

She presents herself very well in that interview, down to earth and self aware.

I don't think I have ever come across an artist that has polarised my interest so dramatically before. I knew nothing of her until you started this thread, since then I have listened to her on different mediums everyday. I find her music hypnotically engrossing, it's among the most rewarding and addictive I have ever heard. And yet her imagery and performances leave me reaching for the off button. Realistically, I have to admit that I appreciate what she does visually as an artist, I just don't like it.

Jimbo
02-05-2019, 20:06
She presents herself very well in that interview, down to earth and self aware.

I don't think I have ever come across an artist that has polarised my interest so dramatically before. I knew nothing of her until you started this thread, since then I have listened to her on different mediums everyday. I find her music hypnotically engrossing, it's among the most rewarding and addictive I have ever heard. And yet her imagery and performances leave me reaching for the off button. Realistically, I have to admit that I appreciate what she does visually as an artist, I just don't like it.

When I first showed a video of her to my partner Helen she said she never wanted to hear her in the house. After buying Party she is totally addicted and there is hardly a week that goes past when she doesn't ask to hear it. Now designer has come along we start the journey again.
Yes her live performance in early days was a bit unsettling but it is as she has said herself just a performance.

Her music is addictive and transcends genres and captures not only you heart , soul and brain but has another dimension that I have never experienced by another artist. She is a genius and mesmerises you with her vocal and minimalistic ability with music.

I am glad you like the music just keep away from the videos.

If you have not got Party then you need to buy it on vinyl - Listen to" Swell does the skull". The recording is beyond audiophile and done on analogue tape I believe. Her voice is fabulous and haunting!

Daisy
02-05-2019, 23:29
Thanks Rich for the download code, can't wait to see her in couple of weeks time in Manchester will be very special.
Cheers
Simon

Jimbo
03-05-2019, 04:53
Thanks Rich for the download code, can't wait to see her in couple of weeks time in Manchester will be very special.
Cheers
Simon

I have to wait till November unfortunately but hopefully I will see her play a few new tracks.

She wrote most of 'Designer' whilst touring last year I believe and played a number of the tracks whilst touring with 'Party.'

Let me know how the Manchester Gig goes.:cool:

Jimbo
03-05-2019, 08:48
Excellent interview and 2 very high quality videos of Aldous singing Treasure and the Barrel.

http://www.wfuv.org/content/aldous-harding-2019

karma67
03-05-2019, 18:42
i should get my copy of designer tomorrow,if i get a download code i'll post it up :cool:

Jimbo
03-05-2019, 20:53
i should get my copy of designer tomorrow,if i get a download code i'll post it up :cool:

We had 2 copies of vinyl delivered on day of issue. Very quiet pressing with no issues and very well recorded/mastered. Party still has the edge though.

Hope you enjoy.:)

Patrick Dixon
05-05-2019, 12:12
We had 2 copies of vinyl delivered on day of issue. Very quiet pressing with no issues and very well recorded/mastered.

Were they black vinyl or the 'limited edition' gold?

Have just received on of the latter and it's really noisy; the music is good though.

Jimbo
05-05-2019, 12:15
Were they black vinyl or the 'limited edition' gold?

Have just received on of the latter and it's really noisy; the music is good though.

Black vinyl. I had a feeling the Gold maybe a little noisy.:(

stairpost
05-05-2019, 12:30
Black vinyl. I had a feeling the Gold maybe a little noisy.:(

I went for the black version too, I am not a fan of coloured vinyl. I'm not sure if it's all in my mind but I do think black sounds better.

Jimbo
05-05-2019, 13:08
I went for the black version too, I am not a fan of coloured vinyl. I'm not sure if it's all in my mind but I do think black sounds better.

Some coloured vinyl can contribute to poor sound quality although I had some completely Transparent vinyl the other day ( Jean Michele Jarre - Oxygene 3) and it sounded superb.

stairpost
05-05-2019, 14:05
Some coloured vinyl can contribute to poor sound quality although I had some completely Transparent vinyl the other day ( Jean Michele Jarre - Oxygene 3) and it sounded superb.

I always find it harder to see what sort of condition coloured vinyl is in too, I have a few marbled effect records and they are impossible to look at in any detail.

The only clear vinyl I ever remember owning was Paranoid by the Dickies on 7", that was a long time ago and can't recall at all how it sounded. I have no idea as to why I even bought it. Jean Michele Jarre is definitely something you would want to have sounding as quiet and crisp as possible.

struth
05-05-2019, 14:07
Ive lots of coloured Vinyl; clear being the best on all counts, bar Black of course.

Patrick Dixon
05-05-2019, 14:45
I would never choose coloured vinyl over black, but sometimes you don't really get the choice and gold was what was in stock. I will return it and wait for black ...

Barry
05-05-2019, 15:06
The addition of carbon black to PVC helps discharge the build up of static during record replay. Originally it was added to shellac of the old '78s' to add strength, and (some say) to disguise blemishes and flaws during pressing.

IMO it is much easier to cue a record if it is black coloured; and despite their, rarity would never consider seeking out an LP that was not black.

stairpost
05-05-2019, 15:23
I would never choose coloured vinyl over black, but sometimes you don't really get the choice and gold was what was in stock. I will return it and wait for black ...

Unfortunately that is often the case, I'm always disappointed to discover an album is only available on coloured vinyl.

Jimbo
05-05-2019, 15:39
Unfortunately that is often the case, I'm always disappointed to discover an album is only available on coloured vinyl.

Have you ordered "Party" yet Rich?:)

stairpost
05-05-2019, 15:59
Have you ordered "Party" yet Rich?:)

No, but it is on my to do list :)

I'm going to put a Juno order in shortly and it will be part of that.

struth
05-05-2019, 16:02
i gave juno the heave after their lack of interest in a record that went missing. They were more interested in making sure they were reinbursed first before i got another copy. I told them to shove it.. shocked by their behaviour actually as i used them a lot.

stairpost
05-05-2019, 16:48
i gave juno the heave after their lack of interest in a record that went missing. They were more interested in making sure they were reinbursed first before i got another copy. I told them to shove it.. shocked by their behaviour actually as i used them a lot.

Sorry to hear that, that doesn't sound great. I used to order a lot of my vinyl from them on eBay, then discovered their site and ordered directly from there. I've put a couple of biggish orders in (£200-300) and a few orders for just one or two pieces. The only issue I had was 2 of a big order were warped, I sent them back and they refunded the postage cost on top. I think I'd be put off by lacklustre customer service too if I was unfortunate enough to experience it.

karma67
05-05-2019, 17:52
me too,i use juno and have had no problems with them,the orders always arrive quickly too.
back to 'designer',hmm its a bit more laid back than party but its growing on me.

YNWaN
07-05-2019, 17:51
I was listening to this album yesterday evening. It's certainly very different to her first offering, much more light hearted and 'up beat' - but I still like it ;).

I also have the coloured (gold?) edition and a couple of friends had warned me that their copies were very noisy (I think someone said the same earlier in this thread?). Anyway, my copy isn't noisy as such, there aren't pops and crackles for example. However, there is a weird distortion that starts after the second track and lasts until side two (which is fine). The actual sound is a very quiet echo of the last line sung (quite clearly, but very quiet), from the left speaker, that sounds distorted - a bit like tape print through but with distortion added. Does anybody else get this?

Jimbo
07-05-2019, 17:53
I was listening to this album yesterday evening. It's certainly very different to her first offering, much more light hearted and 'up beat' - but I still like it ;).

I also have the coloured (gold?) edition and a couple of friends had warned me that their copies were very noisy (I think someone said the same earlier in this thread?). Anyway, my copy isn't noisy as such, there aren't pops and crackles for example. However, there is a weird distortion that starts after the second track and lasts until side two (which is fine). The actual sound is a very quiet echo of the last line sung (quite clearly, but very quiet), from the left speaker, that sounds distorted - a bit like tape print through but with distortion added. Does anybody else get this?

Nothing like this on the black vinyl version. We have two copies and both silent.

YNWaN
07-05-2019, 18:12
OK, I've ordered a black copy direct from 4AD.

macspur
14-05-2019, 19:59
Personally, I was a bit disappointed by Designer, much preferred the previous two
Mac

Mand
14-05-2019, 20:11
I’m loving this album. Thanks for the heads up.

Jimbo
30-11-2019, 08:16
Last night I eventually got to see Aldous Harding live in Birmingham. She played at the O2 Institute a small venue in downtown Digbeth.

Having toured the globe for the last 8 months she has had time to sharpen up her performance and her nervousness of her first few gigs had disappeared.

So what was she like to witness live. In a word Stunning. Her performance was both magnetic, ethereal, controlled and masterful. Her voice was extraordinary in its range, ability and strength. I have never witnessed in 40 years anyone who could command your attention with such a powerful intensity.

Highlights were "Elation" and her encore "Old Peel"

It was a rather special evening and one I will certainly not forget.