PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Ortofon Mono CG25 DI MkII

selfaddict
16-05-2010, 19:00
I have quite a few lovely mono records and would like to get Ortofon Mono CG25 DI MkII cartridge. Please feel free to offer :)

Magna Audio
19-05-2010, 10:44
I was thinking along the same lines - A new true Mono SPU is Ł550.
Just how much better do they sound? Chalk and cheese I am thinking but I have never experienced a proper mono cart on mono discs on a decent hifi rig.
The non true mono does not appeal...
Just have to remember to swap back for Stereo though!

selfaddict
19-05-2010, 20:28

That is correct, other vice you will ground your stereo LP's to the dust :lol:

Magna Audio
20-05-2010, 11:32
The above line I wrote should have read - The true mono DOES appeal

Barry
20-05-2010, 15:01
I was thinking along the same lines - A new true Mono SPU is Ł550.
Just how much better do they sound? Chalk and cheese I am thinking but I have never experienced a proper mono cart on mono discs on a decent hifi rig.
The non true mono does not appeal...

If you want to do the job properly, you need to listen to the mono records played through a single channel system i.e. one amplifier and only one speaker.

However, what is so wrong with using a stereo cartridge wired for mono?

Does that mono SPU have a VTA of 15 degrees, appropriate for the mono records of the '50s and '60s, or is it 20 degrees? Will you hear the difference and if you do, would you fuss with the VTA arm adjustment?

Why not buy a second hand Denon 102 mono cartridge? Even with retipping it ought to be cheaper, and just as good as an Ortofon; Nagaoka really are making the most of the Ortofon name.

Regards

selfaddict
21-05-2010, 08:34
Why not buy a second hand Denon 102 mono cartridge? Even with retipping it ought to be cheaper, and just as good as an Ortofon; Nagaoka really are making the most of the Ortofon name.

Regards

I personally need MC mono cartridge. Denon DL 102 has output of 3.0 mV, which is too much for my MC stage. I do not want to start changing the tonearm leads every time I want to listen mono records.

Another thing is that I would like to have wider stylus tip radius.

Denon 17 µm versus Ortofon 25 µm

Correct me if I am wrong but Denon Dl 102 was designed for radio stations for them to broadcast stereo records in mono.

Barry
21-05-2010, 16:48
DENON PICKUP CARTRIDGE DL-102

Instruction Manual

The DL-102 is a monophonic output moving coil cartridge designed for monophonic replay as well as the monophonic playback of stereo recordings. It has been utilized by NHK and other commercial broadcasting corporations for the past number of years and has been receiving great reviews for its high performance and sound quality.

Features:
Because the fulcrum of the vibration gauge is constructed with a fine wire, the needle will not slip into the sound groove but will maintain a steady movement going only in directions of either up and down or left and right, resulting in undistorted superior playback sound quality.

Unlike conventional mono cartridges, this one is most effective when utilized in mono replay during stereo recordings because of its ability to comply to appropriate up/down movements.

The curvature radius of the needle is 17 microns (0.7 mil) thus highly suited for recordings of both stereo and mono style. · It is a user-friendly cartridge having a high output (approx. 3mV) for a moving coil style.

Size is adjustable based on JIS and EIA standards and can be attached to all types of tone arms.

Each individual DL-102 cartridge has been manufactured carefully to satisfy the highest standard of reliability. (Note) - Caution when using a steel turntable because of the possibility of extra needle pressure caused by magnetic attraction.As the needle is fixed in the DL-102, please consult our local sales office for your needle replacement needs.

Specifications:

Model: Moving Coil Style Output voltage -48±2dB (1KHz 50mm/S horizontal direction)

Impedance 240ohms ±20% Load Resistance 1Kohm and over

Frequency Response 50 ~ 10,000 Hz±2dB

Needle configuration 0.017 mm (0.7 mil) R spherical

Needle pressure 3±1g

Cartridge weight 13g

Connection between the cartridge and shell The colour coordination of the head shell lead lines is as follows:

Red ------Right channel signal (R)
White-----Left channel signal (L)
Green-----Right channel ground (RG)
Blue ------Left channel ground (LG)

Connection to the Head Shell:

Connect the right channel signal (red) and left channel signal (white) of the head- shell, to one of the terminals of the DL-102. Likewise, connect the right channel ground (green) and left channel ground (blue) together, and then connects to the other terminal of the DL-102. (Notes)

There is no polarity in the DL-102 terminals. Signal line, ground line can be attached to either terminal.
The DL-102 does not have a lead line attached for connection purposes.
The illustrations for this connection instruction have been simplified. They differ from the actual style. Japan Columbia Inc.

Output voltage should read –48dBm +/-2dB (=> 3.1mV)

http://www.usa.denon.com/dl102_front.gif

From the ‘vinyl engine’ we have the following post:

The DL-102 has a true mono single armature like the Ortofon C (not the SPU) but has a compliant stylus mounting giving vertical compliance, allowing tracing of stereo cuts without danger of damage. Electrically the vertical component is about 30dB down from the horizontal. The stylus is 17 microns so rides lower in the groove than the 25 micron Ortofon & EMT. Maybe an advantage with worn mono microgrooves It's around a quarter the price of the Ortofon so is cheap enough to experiment with.

And from the ‘goodsoundclub’ we have:

The SPU Mono has 4 coils rotated 45 deg and connected for vertical modulation cancellation. The CG 25Dia has the very same single armature motor as the original 1948 design. The only advantage of the Mono SPU is that it has vertical compliance, like the 102 (which of course is a single armature true mono motor).

So it would appear that the current Ortofon SPU Mono is not quite the same as the original, and the Ortofon CG 25 or Denon 102 is the preferred option. Though the latter is, as you say, a high output device designed to operate into 47Kohms.

Regards

Magna Audio
22-05-2010, 14:47
If I was going to do it I would get a 2nd arm mounted up... easy enough to add on to the slate pinth I have.
my dec will even spin 78's hehe.
- hmm interesting project for the future...

A.Grail
04-06-2010, 06:46
Just thought I'd offer my experience with these...

The Ortofon Mono CG25 DI MkII is a nice cart, I wouldn't describe it as particularly relaxed or warm however. The older Ortofon Mono's if in good condition do offer a more relaxed sound. In both cases it should be noted that the 25 diam tip is designed for old mono recordings. To achieve correct playback for microgroove recordings it's worth considering a re-tip with a finer styli.