PDA

View Full Version : WTD-Turntable mat

kininigin
14-05-2010, 11:52
Anyone have a mat they don't need?

Funds are tight so looking to spend about £20.

Rare Bird
14-05-2010, 17:47
Anyone have a mat they don't need?

Funds are tight so looking to spend about £20.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170446373785&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

kininigin
14-05-2010, 21:01
thanks for the link andre i did see those on ebay but wasn't sure if they are any good.
I've only ever used technics for mixing so not sure about about things like this.

Would this be suitable for a 1200 in your opinion? or any else's for that matter.

Rare Bird
14-05-2010, 21:34
thanks for the link andre i did see those on ebay but wasn't sure if they are any good.
I've only ever used technics for mixing so not sure about about things like this.

Would this be suitable for a 1200 in your opinion? or any else's for that matter.

I gave my Disabled mate a Rega planar 3 TT ages ago, he bought one of these for the glass platter, probs be here Monday for him..Well see.. Dunno about Techy!

colinB
14-05-2010, 22:54
That looks like a good deal and some say acrylic works well on the technics.
Its a bit of a risk though for two reasons you may be aware of. Firstly it wont couple with the platter properly because of the alluminuim lip on the edge of the platter. Many audiophiles would say that was a no no.
Secondly , will it reduce ringing from the metal platter.
I experimented with a sound dead steel isomat with a funk archomat on top.
In the end i bought a sound hi fi mat partly because i could easily use a record weight with the thinner mat and partly beacause of the coupling and the tacky surface that grips the record.
My new mat is an easier listen but the funk mat was very good at reducing surface noise. I still have it and i was going to sell it on e bay. If you are interested it yours for £20. It is made of a compressed styrene like material so you could shave 5mm of it to make it fit.
Its worth saving for the sound hi fi mat though and you will have peace of mind you made the right choice. I think im right in saying Dave Cawley offers a discount to AOS members.
For a cheap upgrade you could try flipping over the technics rubber mat to get the smooth side. They recommend that on the KAB site.

kininigin
15-05-2010, 10:02
thanks colin i'll take it off you.At the moment i've got a rubbish thin rubber thing on top of a technics felt slipmat and it's sounding pretty rubbish also using the stock feet so im in need some some decent isolation(got some sorbothane on the way)

So when you say the mat covers the lip platter does this cause major issues or does it have minimal effect?

colinB
15-05-2010, 11:42
I think it has a significant effect. To couple my previous mat set up i used neoprene which i cut to size ( 285mm). I thought it would be a waste of time but it sounded very different. If you are interested in the mat i can give you the neoprene. I stuck it to the Funk mat with double sided tape and the same to the platter so it didnt slip. I found the TECHNICS felt slip mat to be pretty bad which was a pity because i liked the clubby look for nostalgic reasons:)

The Vinyl Adventure
15-05-2010, 11:46
Sound hifi mat is def good stuff...
What does WTD stand for though?

kininigin
15-05-2010, 13:13
wtd=wanted

Mike
15-05-2010, 13:14
What does WTD stand for though?

Wanted

oops... too slow.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-05-2010, 14:27
Ah... I've seen WTB too I think... I always took that to mean "want to buy"... But maybe I imagined it...

kininigin
15-05-2010, 20:49
pm colin