PDA

View Full Version : F/S Copper dac

The Vinyl Adventure
12-05-2010, 13:43
you have all seen the piccys before

neil has first refusal

it cost me £480 and thats what i would like for it

im selling it as i want to have take a punt on something else ... but im keeping that under my imaginary hat for now

John
12-05-2010, 14:20
Seems the lure of high definition audio finally got you

The Vinyl Adventure
12-05-2010, 14:36
thats one of the considerations, space is another since the room change round... i want a one box solution... and i have a feeling i have found it

The Vinyl Adventure
12-05-2010, 16:58
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/cd5b1956.jpg

piccy for you

a you can see by it's perch I don't realy have the space for it now
I was also definately be keeping it if it supported 24/192 which it doesn't
for anyone who doesn't know about these things, they are made by a fellow member and are giant killers!

I will be spending the money I get from this sale on having my majik modded by audiocom. I had a chat with him today and it sounds like he can solve some of my issues with the sq I have. This will mean I have the one box solution I have always wanted

Spectral Morn
12-05-2010, 17:26
Hi Hamish

Thank you for giving me first refusal on it, sadly something has come up so I can't go for it.

So the way is open to everyone else...go to it..............

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
12-05-2010, 18:25
Ah cheers neil! (Told you I was thinking bout flogging it eh)
There you go people... There was one other person who expressed an interest not so long ago but I can't remember who?

John
12-05-2010, 18:26
Spur07 (paul) might be interested
Paul; Hamish version should be better than my version it using better caps
Put this with Open baffles a WD amp and you would have something very special

The Vinyl Adventure
12-05-2010, 18:30
That's who it was! Paul, it's yours if you want it?

John
12-05-2010, 18:39
Hamish I think we should call you Mk2 Jerry!

The Vinyl Adventure
12-05-2010, 18:43
Bah! I ain't box swapin anyway... I'm swaping a box for new inside bits for a different
box! So ner! :ner:
I'm just perfecting what I have to do everything I want it to do! These amps arnt going no where... Even if the future is hazy for a few other boxes :)

Spectral Morn
12-05-2010, 18:45
Ah cheers neil! (Told you I was thinking bout flogging it eh)
There you go people... There was one other person who expressed an interest not so long ago but I can't remember who?

I didn't think you meant the next day ;)

Anyway I am not able to do it at the minute so the way is clear........

Regards D S D L

Jonboy
12-05-2010, 19:57
if it sounds as good as mine its certainly worth the money.

I have just lent mine to a fellow forum member who has played with a lot of high end stuff and he says mine is as good as a 3k dac

John
12-05-2010, 20:18
yes they are pretty good

Spur07
13-05-2010, 07:39
Life's a dreadful bitch sometimes.

Hamish, I would have taken this off your hands a couple of weeks back but my car went in for an MOT/service last week and came out the other side with a rather large invoice attached - (I blame all the pot holes and speeding humps). My account is soon to be in the red.

The only way I could do it would be take John's advice and sell my Olive Naim 72/hicap/250. Quite a leap in the dark.

John
13-05-2010, 07:45
I am not sure if Hamish one has a volume pot Paul; cannot see it on the picture

The Vinyl Adventure
13-05-2010, 09:28
No pot unfortunately... Erm... I'd sell the naim kit anyway... I've not looked back since I sold my 82/hc/180
I'm not sure what to say as it's me that's trying to sell the dac but I'm very sure you get beat the snot out the current kit with the copper dac a passive pre and some kind of basic amp...maybe even the nap250??
Did I promise I'd hold it for you if you wanted it? I think I did... It only ocured to me that there was someone else who had shown an interest after I told neil he could have first dibs when I spoke to him Tuesday .... I'm happy to hold on to it for you if you want to flog you naim kit. Have a think... Just let me know ... It's yours if you want it, il hold it for now, I'm not in any desparate hurry!

dave2010
13-05-2010, 21:52
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/cd5b1956.jpg

piccy for you

a you can see by it's perch I don't realy have the space for it now
I was also definately be keeping it if it supported 24/192 which it doesn't
for anyone who doesn't know about these things, they are made by a fellow member and are giant killers!

I will be spending the money I get from this sale on having my majik modded by audiocom. I had a chat with him today and it sounds like he can solve some of my issues with the sq I have. This will mean I have the one box solution I have always wantedIntriguing! Are these DACs a great rarity? I've only ever seen them on this board - together with a few other similar ones - e.g brass etc. You're going to tell me that these are another order of magnitude better than my unmodded Caiman, while Gazjam and others are going to say that I should get my Caiman modified. A big no-no for DACs such as the Copper is - sadly - the size (a) because it is just large, and (b) because it's so large it can't be smuggled in. I suppose I could put one in a cupboard, and have the feed in/feed out routed out of sight.

What kind of spec do these Copper and similar DACs have?

The Vinyl Adventure
13-05-2010, 22:01
I found it better than my caiman...
Specs? Erm... It sounds good! :)

dave2010
14-05-2010, 02:08
Hamish

Looks like it's very exposed too. Do you keep it out, or in a cupboard?

Many, many years ago I used to know someone who had a valve amp (we all did at the time ....) and his had the valves and maybe a transformer or two exposed on top. He also had a cat. I recall the cat walking over this kit quite regularly - I think it only got burnt or shocked on occasions.

I'm surprised that health and safety rules don't seem to apply.

dave2010
14-05-2010, 02:11
PS: I suspect the cat might not have liked those large capacitors.:lol: [I'm assuming that's what the candles are.]

John
14-05-2010, 04:51
The coppper DAC is made by Duncan (Tubehunter) Those of us who are lucky enough to own one feel very happy with it. Duncan puts a lot of effort into creating the shortest signal path they tend to get compaired to dacs cosring 2000 to 3000 pounds so very good value

DSJR
14-05-2010, 07:01
No pot unfortunately... Erm... I'd sell the naim kit anyway... I've not looked back since I sold my 82/hc/180
I'm not sure what to say as it's me that's trying to sell the dac but I'm very sure you get beat the snot out the current kit with the copper dac a passive pre and some kind of basic amp...maybe even the nap250??
Did I promise I'd hold it for you if you wanted it? I think I did... It only ocured to me that there was someone else who had shown an interest after I told neil he could have first dibs when I spoke to him Tuesday .... I'm happy to hold on to it for you if you want to flog you naim kit. Have a think... Just let me know ... It's yours if you want it, il hold it for now, I'm not in any desparate hurry!

Should be a great option with a passive pre as the output voltage is so high, but don't know if impedance matching may be needed though. probably fine with a valve amp or an almost as geriatric Naim power ;)

John
14-05-2010, 07:27
It works really well with the passive volume control but my system is not a typical system so might not be universial to other systems

Bodger
14-05-2010, 16:06
Hamish, you have a PM

The Vinyl Adventure
14-05-2010, 16:26
Ok, I have a very solid enquiry... I'll keep it yours until mid day tomorow for you Paul (if your out there) After that I'm going to let Roy have it :)

SteveW
14-05-2010, 18:23
Thank god for that.
Thought I would have to buy it, and I'm skinter than a skinter thing with no money.

Duncan's Dac's...at least mine anyway, is one of those things like wot Apple say. It just works.
Now, I would never knock the Caiman. I have one. Its great. I also have two 7510's.

However, the Williams Audio Tube DAC just cannot be compared with the Caiman. It wasn't produced with a commercial view in mind. ..and hence, it is what it is. Duncan designs and builds these things because he does...not to make a living, and I'm terribly grateful he does.

hornucopia
15-05-2010, 10:57
Does Duncan make one with usb connection? I currently use an MHDT Paradisea (16 bit; no brickwall filter) that I use direct from iTunes/iMac and a lot of folk are wanting Firwireor usb facility.
I love the Copper look.
Chris

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/mhdt_paradisea.htm

The Vinyl Adventure
15-05-2010, 11:04
I'm not sure he is making them at the mo, you just have to wait with crossed fingers until something comes up...

Copper dac is now sold to Roy ...

John
15-05-2010, 11:12
Does Duncan make one with usb connection? I currently use an MHDT Paradisea (16 bit; no brickwall filter) that I use direct from iTunes/iMac and a lot of folk are wanting Firwireor usb facility.
I love the Copper look.
Chris

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/mhdt_paradisea.htm

Just use a good USB to SPDIF converter works fine for me
As Hamish says you just have to wait till Duncan selling something this is a hobby for him not a buisness