PDA

View Full Version : Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm

chipcalzada
03-04-2019, 02:53
Hi to all, sharing some photos of the new audiomods series 6 tonearm. The PDF that was sent to me is just a draft version so just screen grabbed it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1djRQuC37MGcJ4DxDZ1ZQhK6K26WxpdNm/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nsvYxnLLZ3yEFbnrxnXO-7712o1_1zB9/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1shytX4fPpBmVS8tddP9ko7SH2rLJ92rr/view?usp=sharing

antonio
03-04-2019, 06:48
Looks very nice, thanks for sharing.

mayebaza
03-04-2019, 07:32
That's a lot of arm for the money

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

flapland
03-04-2019, 08:52
That looks very nice and if the build quality is as good or better than the IV I used to own an absolute bargain.

paulf-2007
03-04-2019, 19:43
Moving away from the Rega based arm is good, when will a 12" arm follow.

YNWaN
03-04-2019, 20:08
In terms of build quality and engineering I’m a big supporter of the Audiomods arm and I certainly wouldn’t let the lack of a 12” version put me off. For some time now It looks to me as though Audiomods have been ‘chanelling’ the design of the super expensive Tri-Planar arms and with this latest update they may well have equalled, or exceeded, those they emulate. I’m personally looking for a second arm and I have to say this has shot right to the top of my list.

chipcalzada
04-04-2019, 02:52
Hi Mark, spot on with the Tri-Planar reference, that's exactly what a friend said when I showed him the photos. The series 6 comes in 2 lengths, the 9" and 10.5". I ordered the 10.5" since my deck can accommodate a longer arm. Its supposed to be ready end of April. Literally counting down the days.

DiveDeepDog
04-04-2019, 11:18
It'll be interesting if the 'tone' is retained. The Rega arm tube is pretty special being cast in one piece (similar to SME?) and Jeff addresses issues with the holes and strengthening.

Hope its development for improvement rather than supply issues. Must be a thorn to hear the best Rega based arm isn't a Rega:eyebrows::lol:

Jac Hawk
04-04-2019, 14:30
It'll be interesting if the 'tone' is retained. The Rega arm tube is pretty special being cast in one piece (similar to SME?) and Jeff addresses issues with the holes and strengthening.

Hope its development for improvement rather than supply issues. Must be a thorn to hear the best Rega based arm isn't a Rega:eyebrows::lol:

I was thinking the same Mark, i guess Rega have tried to dissuade companies like Audiomods in the past when they went to the 3 point anchoring

chipcalzada
05-04-2019, 02:14
Here are the technical details:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kEntkcqwx7Wf0_-LtaSsPXJKEE70rjhA/view?usp=sharing

Based on the specs, the carbon fiber arm tube along with the built in azimuth adjustment should be an improvement.

kambo_z
05-04-2019, 10:07
Details are looking good....

337alant
06-04-2019, 22:02
The new arm looks excellent and I hope it is a success for Jeff
I have the Audiomods 1V and it is a n excellent arm

Alan

YNWaN
07-04-2019, 21:39
I thought I would bump this thread as I really think the manufacturer (Jeff?) deserves a bit more airtime. I’ve followed this company’s products from their very first and have always been impressed by the quality and engineering integrity of his work. The only reason I haven’t bought one is because I would (personally) prefer a ‘ground up’ design and have also favoured unipivot designs. However, the new arm sounds excellent and I really find myself interested in a black 10.5 version - fantastic value too, really amazing!

Bigman80
07-04-2019, 21:42
I thought I would bump this thread as I really think the manufacturer (Jeff?) deserves a bit more airtime. I’ve followed this company’s products from their very first and have always been impressed by the quality and engineering integrity of his work. The only reason I haven’t bought one is because I would (personally) prefer a ‘ground up’ design and have also favoured unipivot designs. However, the new arm sounds excellent and I really find myself interested in a black 10.5 version - fantastic value too, really amazing!Any pics? I can't get the Google links to work.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Barry
07-04-2019, 21:55
Any pics? I can't get the Google links to work.

Try

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1djRQuC37MGcJ4DxDZ1ZQhK6K26WxpdNm/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nsvYxnLLZ3yEFbnrxnXO-7712o1_1zB9/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1shytX4fPpBmVS8tddP9ko7SH2rLJ92rr/view

YNWaN
07-04-2019, 22:17
Sorry, I don’t know the manufacturer at all and all my views of info have been from this thread. I don’t think any pictures exist of the arm I fancy, though there is a promise of such to come.

Bigman80
08-04-2019, 05:37
Thanks Barry, those links worked fine. [emoji3]

Looks very good.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

harmonica98
09-04-2019, 07:42
Looks very interesting. I'm currently looking to upgrade my modified RB300, have been thinking of a 2nd hand Zeta or HR100S, but wondering whether I should spring for one of these - would be good to support a small British business.

Jac Hawk
09-04-2019, 12:44
As i have said to Chip the OP i must have one of the last series 5 arms and apart from the arm tube they look very similar, i'm very happy with my arm and will be interested to find out how the new arm compares.

Jeff is a great guy to deal with and gave me some very good advice, i do wonder why he's gone down the path of designing his own arm tube given the fact that the Rega tube is already very very good, i wonder if Rega have hiked up their prices or supply is short?

Clive
09-04-2019, 12:57
As i have said to Chip the OP i must have one of the last series 5 arms and apart from the arm tube they look very similar, i'm very happy with my arm and will be interested to find out how the new arm compares.

Jeff is a great guy to deal with and gave me some very good advice, i do wonder why he's gone down the path of designing his own arm tube given the fact that the Rega tube is already very very good, i wonder if Rega have hiked up their prices or supply is short?
His graphs show improvements in terms of resonance. I suppose he will have more control of parts supplies with his own arm tube. Maybe Rega kept the best finished arm tubes for themselves - that wouldn't be surprising. It is totally his arm with the new arm tube, it pretty much was anyway but this clears up any doubts even the most cynical could have..

hifi_dave
09-04-2019, 14:43
Rega are no longer supplying other companies with their arms as they need every one for themselves, such is the demand.

chipcalzada
10-04-2019, 03:47
We can only speculate the reasons for moving away from using the rega arm (whether its supply or performance reasons), but based on the technical specs and graph combined with Jeff's reputation, its a good enough reason for me to be optimistic that the series 6 will sound great.

Jac Hawk
10-04-2019, 22:26
Rega are no longer supplying other companies with their arms as they need every one for themselves, such is the demand.

That explains a lot, it's got to be a lot more expensive either tooling up to be able to make the carbon fiber arm tubes or finding a supplier that will make them to your spec and of a high enough quality

Jac Hawk
10-04-2019, 22:38
We can only speculate the reasons for moving away from using the rega arm (whether its supply or performance reasons), but based on the technical specs and graph combined with Jeff's reputation, its a good enough reason for me to be optimistic that the series 6 will sound great.

Chip it can't be performance he's been using the Rega arm tube for ages and the reviews have them very highly rated against arms much more expensive, it's got to be that Rega don't want to play ball.

Regarding the graphs, c'mon retailers and hifi mags have been using that old chestnut for years to get people to ditch their old kit and buy new, I'm not disputing that the arm tube will be sonically better, but will it be enough to hear the difference, I'm not so sure, I think the biggest improvement will be in the longer lengthed version of the arm

YNWaN
10-04-2019, 23:11
I disagree.

chipcalzada
11-04-2019, 01:44
Mark (Jac Hawk),

I'm no expert but my thinking is that when a manufacturer changes the arm tube to a different material, part of the reason has to be performance gains. Whether those gains can be heard or are discernible is another story. I've sent the series 6 technical specs to friends who have been into analog for many years and even without the carbon fiber arm they were really impressed with Jeff's work (most notably the micrometer and the complete wire loom). So if you think about all the features/improvements he's added along the years, its safe to assume that each series is an improvement on the previous one. Carbon fiber is being used in super arms like Clearaudio, Swedish Analogue Technologies and Tri-Planar because of resonance improvements. Time will tell though, like I said I can only speculate. But one thing I'm sure of is that based on all the reviews I've read, everyone is very happy with their Audiomods regardless of which series they own.

paulf-2007
12-04-2019, 17:16
I disagree.
Nothing new there then.

paulf-2007
12-04-2019, 17:21
Not relying on rega for supply that could cease on a whim, it makes sense for Jeff to have control of all the components he uses and not be competition for rega. It's human nature for rega to think that all the arms Jeff sells is profit they are missing out on, no matter how small that is.

Clive
12-04-2019, 18:40
Not relying on rega for supply that could cease on a whim, it makes sense for Jeff to have control of all the components he uses and not be competition for rega. It's human nature for rega to think that all the arms Jeff sells is profit they are missing out on, no matter how small that is.
Totally agree with the above.

Regarding 10.5" vs 9" I suspect there's a resonance tradeoff vs reduced tracing error. The 10.5" will look great and I'm sure both 10.5" and 9" will sound great.

chipcalzada
03-05-2019, 10:09
It finally arrived today! Hopefully will have it installed tomorrow if schedule permits. My first impression is that the build quality is very good except for the raise arm finger lift which seems to be made of a hard wire, the tip is quite sharp and is definitely not as nice as the previous rega arm tube finger lift.

https://i.ibb.co/Z6mz7kb/IMG-8223.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/tc6hjTd/IMG-8224.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/RH1xJrn/IMG-8225.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/PgsSHyY/IMG-8226.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vPn4dHD/IMG-8227.jpg

Bigman80
03-05-2019, 11:04
I'm not sure about that single fixing point on the headshell area. I'd like two.

It does look really well made though. Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Jac Hawk
04-05-2019, 12:56
Looks good Chip, and the way the cartridge is attached will make fitting an Audio Technica cart a damn sight easier

YNWaN
04-05-2019, 13:19
Nothing new there then.

Yes, you are quite correct, there are a lot of people who are wrong.

chipcalzada
05-05-2019, 00:30
I was able to have the series 6 installed yesterday on my Technics SL-1100. First impression is that it sounds great! I played The Guitar Trio (Paco de Lucia, Al Di Meola and John McLaughlin) album and noticed/heard nuances in the strumming that I hadn't heard before. Its also more lively in its presentation compared to my previous tonearm. Here are some photos:

https://i.ibb.co/qBRMwK7/IMG-8251.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/mC0hc8f/IMG-8252.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/HdZM1gX/IMG-8253.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vPf2sX4/IMG-8254.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/hFPp5j3/IMG-8256.jpg

alphaGT
05-05-2019, 06:37
Well I am completely jealous. That is one fine looking arm! And I have always been a big fan of the Tri-planar. And it has been on my want list for a very long time. And considering the prices, I suspect will continue to be on that list for long into the future!

But this arm could be something I could afford? It certainly exudes quality and looks the part. And it very well may prove better than any Rega you’ve had in the past. Better and worse can be subjective at some point, and very real at others, but one thing is certain, every arm sounds different. So, as long as this arm hits your trigger then that’s what matters! I like it, I think it’s beautiful and well executed. Jealous even!

Russell

antonio
05-05-2019, 06:46
The arm looks great, enjoy.

ovlov854
05-05-2019, 09:28
Wow....that's a rather beautiful piece of engineering. I too am green with envy and plotting the swop.
Enjoy and keep the comments coming.

bradysmit
05-05-2019, 17:40
Thought people would be interested in seeing some pics of the Series 6 in a polished finish.
I'd been in touch with Jeff of Audiomods with a view to ordering a Seies 5, this resulted in a similar conversation that others have reported.
I'd really enjoyed my Audiomods Classic - the 6 is a definite improvement as far as I'm concerned, more detail, tighter and more cohesive. Lots of toe tapping going on here.
Currently listening to some Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson albums - I know, I'm having a '70s nostalgia moment.2599825999260002600126002259982599926000260 0126002

bradysmit
05-05-2019, 17:47
Sorry about the pics - I'm no expert with this online stuff. Somehow managed to upload duplicates. Plus no idea why they have displayed so weirdly in the post.

Bigbird
05-05-2019, 20:20
Well i have to say they both look like a fantastic piece of kit and im loving the new direction with the armtube. Been a fan of Jeffs work since i had the pleasure of hearing one of his arms a few years back and nearly bought one for my RP6 before i went down the LP12 route. This thread has seriously got me thinking about pulling the trigger again.
Im sure youd be hard pushed to get anything of this quality for the same price elsewhere???
I have to say the magpie in me is leaning more towards the polished finish, just looks a little more exotic, but i guess it would depend on what table you are mounting it on.
I have to agree with Chip about his finger lift. It seems odd that jeff has gone to all that trouble crafting a beautiful arm to then add a little piece of wire for the finger lift??? The other gentlemen has a nicely made flat piece that looks better quality. I think I would be on to him about that tiny little inconsistency. That said they both look wonderful and im glad you are both very happy and hope it brings many years of joy to you both.
Just need to figure out where i can get a grand from now .. hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipcalzada
06-05-2019, 03:04
Thanks for all the kind comments!

Hi Brad, I think the polished finish looks great. Is the arm lifter on your series 6 a thick hard piece of silver wire as well? Yours looks a bit thicker than mine, although I can't really tell from the photos. A friend who installed my tonearm told me to sand down the sharp tip with sandpaper, I'm worried I might damage it though. Will enjoy listening to records first before I start obsessing about it. Other than that tiny issue, it sounds really awesome.

bradysmit
06-05-2019, 05:31
Hi Chip, yes it is. I think mine is the same as yours, it's just the angle of the photos and glare that make it appear thicker.

chipcalzada
06-05-2019, 06:53
Hi Brad,

Thought mine was a dud, thanks for the clearing that up.

dreamer69
06-05-2019, 08:52
I’ve been hoping to buy the audiomods classic for a while now and am somewhat disappointed with the price rise. I’m perfectly willing to accept that sound wise it’s an upgrade but I have to say that headshell really lets the look of the rest of the arm down. A real dealbreaker for me.

Jac Hawk
07-05-2019, 12:10
I’ve been hoping to buy the audiomods classic for a while now and am somewhat disappointed with the price rise. I’m perfectly willing to accept that sound wise it’s an upgrade but I have to say that headshell really lets the look of the rest of the arm down. A real dealbreaker for me.

I think if this is the only model Jeff is offering, it's safe to say that his supply of Rega arm tubes has dried up and explains the shift to the new model.

paulf-2007
10-05-2019, 09:05
That arm lift looks naff, not what I would expect from Jeff. Maybe an email to him to say you are not happy with the quality of the lift might help him with future arms

chipcalzada
11-05-2019, 12:43
I sent Jeff an email and asked him about it. He said its made of aluminum and that its the only part that he doesn't make, still don't understand why he used it and not something with more heft which will also make it look better. Other than that it sounds great, don't want to wax lyrical but the best way I could describe is that it has loads of PRAT, it makes my previous modded Rega 251 sound anemic in comparison. Not to bash Rega, they make good arms, had mine for 6-7 years and liked the sound which is why I gravitated towards the Audiomods because it was Rega based.

aneumayr
13-05-2019, 15:30
I'm very excited to have my order in for this tonearm. I'm also very grateful for the detailed information that everyone has supplied at TAOS! Any other reviews/info? Has anyone else received their Audiomods 6?

shawnwes
22-05-2019, 12:23
I picked the arm up from the post office on the way home last night. It was a pretty easy install with little that could go wrong.

It's an upgrade cliche' I know but I'm hearing alot more clean unmasked subtle detail than I was previously and I still haven't begun to dial it in yet.

chipcalzada
23-05-2019, 01:24
Hi Shawn,

Looking forward to your impressions once its been dialed in.

shawnwes
23-05-2019, 04:05
Hi Shawn,

Looking forward to your impressions once its been dialed in.

Kumusta Chip!? Ang aking asawa ay filipina. I've been there 5 times. Enjoy it a lot.

I can say that even though the arm isn't optimized yet that it's detail retrieval is the best I've ever experienced. Other arms previously owned are Linn LVX, Linn Akito, Linn Ittok, Rega RB250 w/mods & RB300.

More later.

Cheers,

Shawn

karma67
23-05-2019, 05:10
borocay island for me,ive been twice,lovely place

ovlov854
24-05-2019, 10:17
I picked the arm up from the post office on the way home last night. It was a pretty easy install with little that could go wrong.

It's an upgrade cliche' I know but I'm hearing alot more clean unmasked subtle detail than I was previously and I still haven't begun to dial it in yet.

I presume that this is the 9 inch version??

chipcalzada
24-05-2019, 12:18
Kumusta Chip!? Ang aking asawa ay filipina. I've been there 5 times. Enjoy it a lot.

I can say that even though the arm isn't optimized yet that it's detail retrieval is the best I've ever experienced. Other arms previously owned are Linn LVX, Linn Akito, Linn Ittok, Rega RB250 w/mods & RB300.

More later.

Cheers,

Shawn

Kumusta Shawn! Plenty Pinoy's in BC, Vancouver especially. Good to know you're having positive results with the Series 6. I only have my previous Rega 251 arm to compare it with so I can't elaborate as much.

Jamie, Boracay is a magical place. First went there when I was 13 years old, I still never get tired of it. I try to go whenever I can especially during off peak season as there's so much people going there these days.

karma67
24-05-2019, 12:28
nice,my friend has a home there and family,the last time i went it was getting very busy with tourists and is slightly losing its charm because of its popularity.

Bigbird
10-06-2019, 20:57
Hi guys,

does anybody know if there is any more detailed info/pics available online about the series 6 arms yet? Can only find series 5 on the audiomods website. Not sure if its been updated yet??

Cheers

Karl

Clive
10-06-2019, 21:05
I expect Jeff is busy making arms. My 10.5" arrived a few days ago. I'm still to mount it on my 2nd TT with a few more cartridges...but on my 301 with a mono MM and then a stereo MC it's performing wonderfully.

Bigbird
11-06-2019, 06:10
Thanks Clive, glad your enjoying it, I expect hes a very busy man at the moment with all the praise the new arm is receiving.

Im going to be in the market for a new/used arm myself soon so just weighing up all my options. It’s surprising Jeff hasn’t updated the site yet.

Would love to know how this squares up to the Origin live and audio origami arms ive been looking at in the 1500-2k region and if they are a similar spec with regards to build quality/materials etc ? Was hoping to be able to find a bit more info.

DiveDeepDog
11-06-2019, 06:21
We need pictures :eek:

Bigbird
11-06-2019, 06:33
We need pictures :eek:

Sure do, and more technical info too

chipcalzada
19-06-2019, 06:47
So a strange thing happened recently: I was getting a slight metallic sound in the high frequencies which I wasn't happy about, my assumption was that the silver Litz wiring in the series 6 was starting to settle and completely burn in as I was approaching 100 hours of use. The first thing I did was roll warmer sounding tubes into my tube phono pre and while it took a bit of the glare off, I still found it sounding too bright for my taste. The next step was to swap the IC's to an older, warmer sounding one. While it did make it sound warmer, the soundstage closed in quite a bit so I put back the more open albeit brighter sounding IC's.

Stumped, I started making inquiries and researched on what I could replace my tube phono pre with when out of curiosity, I changed the power cable (which has some 4N silver in it) to a copper power cable and 'voila' no more metallic, grating sound. Trumpets didn't assault my eardrums, and listening to JC's A Love Supreme didn't make me wince. I never thought that changing a power cable would have such a marked difference in SQ but in this case, it did. Found out the hard way that too much silver in one's system is no good, to my ears at least.

ovlov854
19-06-2019, 10:27
So a strange thing happened recently: I was getting a slight metallic sound in the high frequencies which I wasn't happy about, my assumption was that the silver Litz wiring in the series 6 was starting to settle and completely burn in as I was approaching 100 hours of use. The first thing I did was roll warmer sounding tubes into my tube phono pre and while it took a bit of the glare off, I still found it sounding too bright for my taste. The next step was to swap the IC's to an older, warmer sounding one. While it did make it sound warmer, the soundstage closed in quite a bit so I put back the more open albeit brighter sounding IC's.

Stumped, I started making inquiries and researched on what I could replace my tube phono pre with when out of curiosity, I changed the power cable (which has some 4N silver in it) to a copper power cable and 'voila' no more metallic, grating sound. Trumpets didn't assault my eardrums, and listening to JC's A Love Supreme didn't make me wince. I never thought that changing a power cable would have such a marked difference in SQ but in this case, it did. Found out the hard way that too much silver in one's system is no good, to my ears at least.

I also agree with this.....you can have too much silver in I/C and speaker cable etc.
There are some obs........the silver must be of the highest quality and therefore expensive
My experience was that I acquired some Yter speaker cable with great results and the thought that the same make I/C would enhance.
It took a long time to settle but turned out too bright and lost some of it's musicality.
So back to my trusty Cardas GC I/C .........problem solved

chipcalzada
21-06-2019, 02:41
I'm just glad that I had a spare copper power cable lying around, someone was already willing to buy my phono pre and I think I would've sorely regretted it if I had let it go.

shawnwes
21-06-2019, 03:49
No sooner did I get the 6 mounted on my Ariston than the Valab LCR decided to act up. Had to ship it back to Taiwan for some rehab so have been w/o vinyl for about 3 wks now. However, I've been adding to the vinyl stack in earnest the last couple of weeks so will get plenty of listening in when the pre returns:

New:
Ellington - Blues In Orbit - Classic Records 4x45 rpm lps
Eva Cassidy - Nightbird - Blix Street Records 7x45 rpm lps
Earl Wild - Copland & Menotti - Analogue Productions
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King - 200gm Reissue on Discipline Global Mobile (Guitarist Robert Fripp's label)

New to me:
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz Impressions of Japan - Columbia -VG+ orig press
Jackie McLean-Swing Swang Swingin'-Blue Note/Music Matters-ST-45rpm-2 LPs - NM

Plan on capping it off with a new Hana ML as soon as funds allow. Been an expensive year so far. :stalks:

chipcalzada
23-06-2019, 01:12
Shawn I've heard nothing but good things about the Hana ML, I met someone recently who has it and he said he made the move from the Hana SL to the ML and the difference is night and day.

shawnwes
23-06-2019, 05:59
Thanks Chip.

I can't wait to get my phono pre back from Valab and start spinning some vinyl again. I just ordered a bunch more of the Blue Note Tone Poet recordings & they should arrive in 1-2 weeks so have alot to catch up on.

chipcalzada
30-06-2019, 13:37
Thanks Chip.

I can't wait to get my phono pre back from Valab and start spinning some vinyl again. I just ordered a bunch more of the Blue Note Tone Poet recordings & they should arrive in 1-2 weeks so have alot to catch up on.

Hi Shawn did you get your phono pre back? Want to know if I'm the only one experiencing the metallic bright sound. I read somewhere someone with a series 5 had issues with the silver litz wiring and opted for the copper wiring instead. Wondering if I should have opted for the copper wiring vs silver, I feel like I'm lacking some synergy at the moment.

alphaGT
01-07-2019, 03:55
As usual I’m late coming into this thread. But wow that’s a good looking arm for that price! The lift lever looks fine to me, as long as it lifts. It is the one piece that is not involved in playback. So as long as it has a smooth action, it’s all good.

I like the looks of it better, and it seems to have more features and adjustments than my VPI arm, at half the price!

Russell

DiveDeepDog
01-07-2019, 04:49
Until recently I had AM V with silver litz, no problem with bright metallic sound but did find bass performance needed to be tuned with extra weights at the headshell. The more weight, the better the bass got. (Primarily with AT MC's)

chipcalzada
01-07-2019, 08:06
Thank you for the suggestion. Will try adding more weight, the bass is on the lean side as I’m using an AT MC.

Cycleallday
03-07-2019, 20:44
I use an AM V but with my preferred Cardas loom and also use AT MC's (AT33EV and OC9/II) and have no issue with missing bass.

Maybe the bass is there but the silver litz loom is emphasising the top end a bit and making you feel it is missing a little from the overall balance ?

Use of the provided head shell weights can be useful with some carts though - I also have a Dynovector Karet which is very light but I prefer to remove weight from the back rather than risk too much weight on the short Diamond cantilever this cart uses. Now this cart really does dig the bass out with the AM V and at a hell of a speed - it can be frightening when a significant drum session starts !

Mel

chipcalzada
08-07-2019, 12:12
Hi Mel, how did you get the custom Cardas loom? Didn’t know that was an option.

Cycleallday
08-07-2019, 12:33
Jeff will do pretty much anything, within reason, if you speak with him at the time of ordering even though options may not be shown on his website.

My system is in a garden room where 3 sides of the room are 60% glass so I don't need too much top end and hence generally avoid too much silver wire.

That said I avoid it on the basis of hearsay rather than experience so I may have no issues at all.

Mel

aneumayr
09-07-2019, 13:18
https://ibb.co/M6Gpn09

https://ibb.co/F8kbnNH

https://ibb.co/yVq4WKF

I'm very happy with this tonearm thus far! Still playing!

Cycleallday
09-07-2019, 15:33
You’ll e even happier when you get it out of the box and on your turntable ;-)

aneumayr
09-07-2019, 17:55
You’ll e even happier when you get it out of the box and on your turntable ;-)

LMAO! She's already on my TT, now I'm just playing with the setup.

https://ibb.co/j39nfCF

chipcalzada
10-07-2019, 16:01
Would like to give an update that after tinkering with the micrometer and the VTA settings, the sound has improved quite a bit however the slight bright metallic sound still persists. I’m convinced that it has to do with the cartridge plate. I need to install the extra copper plate that came with the box however I need to send the copper plate to a machine shop to drill holes because our screws won’t fit. Will post my impressions and pictures once this is done hopefully over the weekend.

Jac Hawk
11-07-2019, 10:55
I must admit i couldn't be happier with my series 5, it has the silver wiring but isn't bright in any way and the bass is sooooooo deeeep, it puts a huge smile on my face every time i play an LP. From reading comments above though i would say that there's nothing wrong with using silver wiring but to get the sound you want you may have to change other components, it's like throwing a stone in a pond you get the splash you want but you also get the ripples.

chipcalzada
11-07-2019, 12:17
I must admit i couldn't be happier with my series 5, it has the silver wiring but isn't bright in any way and the bass is sooooooo deeeep, it puts a huge smile on my face every time i play an LP. From reading comments above though i would say that there's nothing wrong with using silver wiring but to get the sound you want you may have to change other components, it's like throwing a stone in a pond you get the splash you want but you also get the ripples.

I’ll be changing the cartridge plate tomorrow, hopefully with the heavier plate I’ll get the sound that I’m looking for.

aneumayr
15-07-2019, 11:46
So, I'm currently using an Ortofon 2M Black, and have had some tracking issues. I tried the supplied protractor, the Stevenson, then the Lofgren A/Baerwald. The Lofgren A/Baerwald was the winner, by far. The other 2 had a mistrack on Dire Straits "Walk Of Life" MFSL (There is a really deep bass drum kick in the first bridge). Tracking issues solved. What cartridge alignment protractor is everyone using with the Audiomods 6?

chipcalzada
16-07-2019, 04:21
So, I'm currently using an Ortofon 2M Black, and have had some tracking issues. I tried the supplied protractor, the Stevenson, then the Lofgren A/Baerwald. The Lofgren A/Baerwald was the winner, by far. The other 2 had a mistrack on Dire Straits "Walk Of Life" MFSL (There is a really deep bass drum kick in the first bridge). Tracking issues solved. What cartridge alignment protractor is everyone using with the Audiomods 6?

Currently using Lofgren A with an AT33 PTGii as well. On a side note, I found the cause of the bright metallic sound that I was getting and it wasn't related to the cartridge plate. It's embarrassing to admit but it was a Hifi Tuning Supreme fuse in my tube phono pre. Took it out and put the stock fuse in and I'm finally hearing wonderful music, all is well in the world once again.

aneumayr
16-07-2019, 15:07
Currently using Lofgren A with an AT33 PTGii as well. On a side note, I found the cause of the bright metallic sound that I was getting and it wasn't related to the cartridge plate. It's embarrassing to admit but it was a Hifi Tuning Supreme fuse in my tube phono pre. Took it out and put the stock fuse in and I'm finally hearing wonderful music, all is well in the world once again.

Lofgren A...interesting! Glad to hear that you solved the bright metallic sound! For me, my combination is very balanced overall. Nothing is out front. Awesome tonearm!

chipcalzada
17-07-2019, 04:04
Thank you. It was prohibiting me from enjoying music as I knew something was off and I couldn't relax until it was solved. I can now hear what the VI is fully capable of and it sounds great!

chipcalzada
18-07-2019, 14:13
The lighter and thinner aluminum cartridge plate has been replaced with the heavier copper plate and I immediately noticed more body and more smoothness in the sound. The copper plate has better synergy with my cart as it's a low output MC. Very happy with the results!

https://i.ibb.co/YTTstYw/IMG-9539-1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/MnLqhBP/IMG-9538-1.jpg

Cycleallday
18-07-2019, 18:34
Good to hear you have tuned it to the sound you like.

Now stop playing and spend lots of time listening to your music and enjoying your purchase.

I like the look of the new 6 arm but my 5 was upgraded from the previous model and I have now stopped all upgrading and started to enjoy the music

Mel

chipcalzada
19-07-2019, 00:49
Good to hear you have tuned it to the sound you like.

Now stop playing and spend lots of time listening to your music and enjoying your purchase.

I like the look of the new 6 arm but my 5 was upgraded from the previous model and I have now stopped all upgrading and started to enjoy the music

Mel

Hi Mel, that's exactly what I plan to do. Picked up 2 new LP's yesterday and enjoyed listening to it thorougly.

antonio
19-07-2019, 08:36
Nice photos Chip, pleased your enjoying.

chipcalzada
22-07-2019, 07:46
Thanks David!

Jac Hawk
04-08-2019, 20:04
So as some of you know my Audiomods Series 5 micrometer arm was a casualty of NEBO 10, basically it was damaged in transport because of my stupidity and the collar barring at the pivot was pulled out. Thankfully after speaking to Jeff it seems to be an easy fix, so these arms are incredibly sturdy and a testament to Jeffs craftsmanship. While on the phone to Jeff discussing the fix he suggested an upgrade to a series 6, i told him i preferred the look of the series 5 but if it wasn't too expensive and there was a sonic improvement i'd be interested, £175 + postage it would be rude not to wouldn't it?

antonio
05-08-2019, 06:24
Yes. Could have done you a favour, but would be interested to know should you have the upgrade done.

chipcalzada
06-08-2019, 02:49
So as some of you know my Audiomods Series 5 micrometer arm was a casualty of NEBO 10, basically it was damaged in transport because of my stupidity and the collar barring at the pivot was pulled out. Thankfully after speaking to Jeff it seems to be an easy fix, so these arms are incredibly sturdy and a testament to Jeffs craftsmanship. While on the phone to Jeff discussing the fix he suggested an upgrade to a series 6, i told him i preferred the look of the series 5 but if it wasn't too expensive and there was a sonic improvement i'd be interested, £175 + postage it would be rude not to wouldn't it?

Yes it would! :) Congratulations in advance.

Jac Hawk
06-08-2019, 09:28
Cheers Chip, i wasn't planning on this upgrade just yet, it was the way you attach the cartridge that actually swung it, the fixed head on the series 5 with the ART 9 meant that you needed 3 arms and nerves of steel when fitting it, the series 6 seems a lot easier.

chipcalzada
07-08-2019, 00:56
My former tonearm was a Rega so I know what you mean. Someone from another forum recently upgraded his V to the VI and said that there was a significant change in the sound signature:

The VI sounds ultra clean, smooth and absolutely uncoloured which subjectively at first made me think that bass had reduced because the midrange sounded so different & I was focusing on that (....needed to play several tracks against both 1200G and digital versions to check this out and bass is not lacking at all).

What there is though is a very light and delicate 'sophisticated' (again) overall sound to midrange/treble. A VERY analogue sound, more than the 1200G which incidentally I also like VERY much (I'm someone that regards properly setup & very carefully aligned turntables as being different but never use the word 'better' in the same way as a blonde isn't 'better' than a brunette or one type of food vs another etc). I have five turntables but use these two almost equally, love them both.

Comments above are based on playing only nine LPs so far - though several of these are what I consider 'challenging' listening or challenging to the cartridge. Nevertheless the above observations hold true for all of them so I'm pretty confident in what I say.

So, in my system definitely a positive upgrade from the V and at around £200 delivered back in 2 weeks, quite a steal.

Jac Hawk
07-08-2019, 12:17
Jeff did say that the Rega arm tube coloured the sound somewhat and the series 6 arm tube gives the tonearm a neutral presentation basically letting the cartridge shine, colouration isn't a bad thing though as it can mask some unpleasant tendencies making a cartridge sound less bright for instance, i guess i'll see if i like the upgrade when i get the arm back.

rick76
08-08-2019, 12:41
Hello Chip,

There was a post about the Series VI arm in another forum weeks ago but with limited info and just a single photo.. So thanks for sharing your experience and photos with this arm here.. It might be something different to try with an idler-drive for me down the road (if I ever get to overhaul my old Thorens.)

BTW, did you get your 1200G from abroad? I can’t seem to find a dealer in the Philippines for the recent Technics line up, specifically the 1200GR.

chipcalzada
08-08-2019, 16:01
Hi Rick! Kamusta? I don’t have a Technics 1200G and you’re right there’s no local dealer here, I too was interested in the GR before I went for a vintage table. I think you confused me with the fellow that wrote that review as I just copy pasted it from another forum. Sorry about the mix up!

rick76
09-08-2019, 07:50
Oh, thanks Chip! Yeah, I misread, I didn’t realize you were quoting someone else.. You still have a cool new toy though, quite similar to a Tri-Planar without the price tag to match.. The 10.5” version would look slick on an SP-10 Mk2 set up.

Yeah, pity about the no dealer for Technics here. Thanks again, and take care in this weather..

chipcalzada
09-08-2019, 13:50
Thank you! I was choosing between the series VI and an SME tonearm, in the end I went with my gut and I'm glad I chose the series VI. It certainly performs beyond its price tag. Stay safe!

Jac Hawk
07-09-2019, 17:12
Well i've got the arm back, and over all i couldn't be happier, things i like:

1. Anti skate is much better and easier to set up
2. mounting cartridges is far easier
3. i didn't expect much of a sonic difference but the series 6 is a clear step up from the 5

Things i don't like:

1. the finger lift looks a little ungainly although in use it's very good
2. overall i prefer the look of the 5

so summing everything up it's a winner.

pankon
07-09-2019, 19:15
Hi Mark,

I had exactly the same experience with my modified Denon DL-103R. With the addition of the shim on the headshell, the bass was significantly improved. I am now wondering whether I should upgrade my Series 5 to Series 6...

chipcalzada
23-09-2019, 04:03
I recently got a good deal on a Hana SL (traded in my AT33 PTGii) and off the bat, the sound has more body and it has much better synergy in my system. My phono pre (eastern electric minimax) doesn't have loading options which I think didn't suit the lower output PTG (.3mv), the Hana SL (.5mv) is singing with the series 6 now!

https://i.ibb.co/F8yVy2W/IMG-0111-1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/pRGzVjp/IMG-0105-1.jpg

shawnwes
04-01-2020, 17:43
Happy New Year everyone! 2019 was a fun year trying out different cartridges on the Series 6 arm. Still not happy with the finger lift however that's my only complaint. Over the period of a few weeks I had a Lyra Delos, Hana ML and Dynavector DRT XV 1-s. The 1-s won out. A couple of new set-up tools (Dr Feickert protractor & AnalogMagik software) has made the job alot less stressful. In addition to the new cartridge I received a pair of B&W Nautilus 805 from the Mrs for Christmas & they're a huge SQ improvement over the Dreamcatchers I was using.

pankon
04-01-2020, 18:02
Hi, Shawn.

For a tonearm to have a Dynavector DRT XV 1-s mounted is a great challenge. It's great that the Audiomods Series 6 can manage that. Enjoy!

I am expecting to have my broken Ortofon Cadenza Black retipped with a boron cantilever and a microridge stylus (instead of the Shibata, that comes from the factory) and then I will mount it on my Series 6.

Jac Hawk
05-01-2020, 20:01
Still not happy with the finger lift however that's my only complaint.

Agreed, i asked Jeff if he would be willing to leave the finger lift off mine when i sent my series 5 in for a repair and upgrade, sadly he wouldn't. My thought would have been to make a finger lift that's held in place via the cartridge screw rather than the way it's done at present, something made out of a small piece of flat metal which you can choose if you use or not. Personally i rarely use the finger lift i guess it's a personal choice.

shawnwes
12-01-2020, 18:26
Agreed, i asked Jeff if he would be willing to leave the finger lift off mine when i sent my series 5 in for a repair and upgrade, sadly he wouldn't. My thought would have been to make a finger lift that's held in place via the cartridge screw rather than the way it's done at present, something made out of a small piece of flat metal which you can choose if you use or not. Personally i rarely use the finger lift i guess it's a personal choice.

The main problem with it is that unless you have very slim fingers (and mine aren't overly large) you basically have to have your finger pick it up by the tip of the curved piece of wire (that is at best perhaps 1/32" in diameter) otherwise you could easily kick the arm skittering with your finger if you try to get your finger inside the curved part of the lift. I generally use the arm lift instead of the finger lift.

In short I think that needs improvement.

Clive
12-01-2020, 21:02
I have a different view. I don't have an issue with the finger lift. We're moving a mass of 1.5g to 2g. Such a delicate lift helps me to appreciate the care that is needed.

eatapeach
21-01-2020, 13:31
Kumusta Shawn! Plenty Pinoy's in BC, Vancouver especially. Good to know you're having positive results with the Series 6. I only have my previous Rega 251 arm to compare it with so I can't elaborate as much.

Jamie, Boracay is a magical place. First went there when I was 13 years old, I still never get tired of it. I try to go whenever I can especially during off peak season as there's so much people going there these days.

Wow - small world! Here am I looking at a thread about Audiomods arms as I just ordered a Classic 3 - and I stumble into a convo with kabayan!
We spend 3 months or so there in metro Manila area - my wife is from Valenzuela and we have family/property there.

Salamat po - salamat kuya Chip for your input.