PDA

View Full Version : Jean Michel Jarre - Genius or just Fromage?

AIKEF
11-05-2010, 17:55
Just for fun.....
Thoughts here on what you think of our JMJ.
Equinoxe thru Teo & Tea - all up for debate.

Best Album?
Worst Catastrophe?
Quality of CDs?
Which of his albums do you own?

Rare Bird
11-05-2010, 18:14
Deserted Palace

:vomfest:

magiccarpetride
11-05-2010, 19:29
Just for fun.....
Thoughts here on what you think of our JMJ.
Equinoxe thru Teo & Tea - all up for debate.

Best Album?
Worst Catastrophe?
Quality of CDs?
Which of his albums do you own?

I only have Equinox in mp3 format, sounds atrocious. I cannot lie -- I was expecting it to sound much better. Probably have to get it in FLAC before I jump to any conclusions (still think that parts of that album contain interesting music, though).

DSJR
11-05-2010, 19:33
Equinox on Disque Dreyfus CD is fine. I reckon it may have been subtly remixed over the very first CD issue as it sounds much better and more "alive" to my ears..

The Grand Wazoo
11-05-2010, 20:17
I have it on good authority (i.e. an earlier thread within these pages) that JMJ is 'a little twee' and Tangerine Dream are 'a shwubbewy'.

ReggieB
11-05-2010, 20:34
Tedious, repetitive, ear candy

slipperyjim
12-05-2010, 02:46
Utter shite.

The James Last of electronica.

twelvebears
12-05-2010, 05:19
Oxygene and Equinoxe are significant albums for electronic music, in many was as much so as early Kraftwerk (this was the 70s remember).

Unfortunately pretty much everything after than was nothing special, or more importantly, new.

Rare Bird
12-05-2010, 07:48
Utter shite.

:youtheman:

REM
12-05-2010, 08:13
Utter shite.

You lot just don't get James Last, he was really the original Krautrock Progmeister

gF2ODWluPlY

:ner:

StanleyB
12-05-2010, 10:17
I have most of JMJ's stuff going back to the early 70's. Not all of it is to my taste, but most is. Far easier listening than classical.

Pierre De Grenoble
12-05-2010, 19:39
You lot just don't get James Last, he was really the original Krautrock Progmeister

gF2ODWluPlY

:ner:

:eek: :guitar: :lolsign:

Themis
12-05-2010, 19:51
Well I have no JMJ and I have 7-8 Vangelis... and it's not because he's Greek, believe me. :)

Alex_UK
12-05-2010, 21:21
Definitely a "guilty pleasure" although as has been said, he was ground-breaking in the early days - and a great showman. I am sure he was a great influence to lots of electronica acts since, too.

Barry
19-05-2010, 22:49
I bought my copy of 'Oxygène', second hand, for about £1 some twenty years ago, and recently replaced it with a CD copy bought in a charity shop for 20p.

Guess that says how much I rate JMJ !

Regards

synsei
27-09-2012, 22:07
Best JMJ album IMO is Live In Houston (not available anymore sadly). I watched this concert on TV many years ago (not sure if it was live or a recording but I'm pretty sure it was transmitted on CH4 in it's first year) and it was astounding. The CD wasn't half bad either. I wish I could find another copy as I lost mine in a move a few years ago and later releases were a mash up between Houston and China concerts and nowhere near as good :(

Havana
27-09-2012, 22:41
I bought my copy of 'Oxygène', second hand, for about £1 some twenty years ago, and recently replaced it with a CD copy bought in a charity shop for 20p.

Guess that says how much I rate JMJ !

Regards

Barry - they saw you coming mate - daylight robbery ! :)

Rare Bird
27-09-2012, 22:46
I loose the will sometime, amazes me how some people are very liberal at branding a said band the same style of music over say 40 years!!I

JimC
28-09-2012, 07:10
Best JMJ album IMO is Live In Houston (not available anymore sadly). I watched this concert on TV many years ago (not sure if it was live or a recording but I'm pretty sure it was transmitted on CH4 in it's first year) and it was astounding. The CD wasn't half bad either. I wish I could find another copy as I lost mine in a move a few years ago and later releases were a mash up between Houston and China concerts and nowhere near as good :(

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=178621

Houston and Lyon 'Mash Up' actually! And very good IMHO.

I have all JMJ Albums and think what he does is excellent.
My favourite Album of his is Rendez-Vouz.

To say nothing he did after Equinox is any good is a little dissmissive.
Zoolook for example used nothing but Samples of the Human Voice to create the sounds and has some great tracks on it. A very good Album indeed from way before 'everyone else' was Sampling.

Try to get hold of the early pressings if possible (ebay?) as some of the Remasters, although not as bad as some I have heard, are not quite as good.

James.

DSJR
28-09-2012, 07:43
Trouble is, JMJ pales into relative insignificance when compared to Walter(Wendy) Carlos, Tonto's Expanding Headband and Tangerine Dream/Klaus Schulze in their classic years along with a good few others (mid 70's Ashra in Manuel's keyboard led era).

Just my view and I still love listening to most of the "side 2" of Equinox, clearer than ever on CD over the vinyl IMO.