PDA

View Full Version : Connecting headphones to preamp

johnN
25-03-2019, 20:58
Hi,

I would like to connect a head amp to my preamp, and having looked on google it seems I need to connect it to a tape out output. However my pre only has a tape monitor output plus the usual phono,cd,aux,tape in inputs. Is there any means to connect a head amp via the pre ?.

The head amp I was intending to use only has an audio input, no output, apart from the obvious headphone socket.

Many thanks for any advice.

struth
25-03-2019, 21:52
Tape monitor should be tape out

johnN
25-03-2019, 22:14
Thanks Grant.

That's what I thought but I get no sound through the headphones with the head amp connected to the tape monitor output. The preamp has 2 front panel controls, one selects either source or tape monitor, the second selects the source i.e. cd/phono/aux. I assume that if I want to listen to cd on headphones, then first control would be set to tape monitor and the second to cd, or am I missing something.

Barry
25-03-2019, 22:47
Thanks Grant.

That's what I thought but I get no sound through the headphones with the head amp connected to the tape monitor output. The preamp has 2 front panel controls, one selects either source or tape monitor, the second selects the source i.e. cd/phono/aux. I assume that if I want to listen to cd on headphones, then first control would be set to tape monitor and the second to cd, or am I missing something.

No - the first control should be set to 'source', the second control should be set to the source you want to use (such as CD etc.).

struth
25-03-2019, 22:49
The tape button should work independently of the source buttons. If it doesn't then it won't work. It might not be a fukk pass through and may only work with the tape in button alas

struth
25-03-2019, 22:55
Ah it's a rotary I think.. Yes as Barry says.

johnN
26-03-2019, 09:31
Thanks for the help guys.

Excuse my ignorance Grant but what is a fukk pass, or is this a reference to my preamp !.

The switches are toggle ones not rotary if that matters.

Once again thanks for the input.

struth
26-03-2019, 09:40
ignore that :lol: was full, not fukk.. chubby fingers.