PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the Midwest USA

Fast Forward
30-05-2008, 01:15
I kind of Lurked here for a couple of days before joining trying to get a feel for the site before joining and like the international flavor but I have a problem,,after reading all of the jokes posted by the members I must admit I have no grasp of British Humor. In the States we poke fun at southerners called Hillbillies or Rednecks,people from Wisconsin are Cheeseheads and Minnesota Is full of Olie and Lena jokes because of a large number of people of Norwegian descent, so I would suppose a lot of the jokes I read do the same thing. Any way,thanks for the invite and I hope I can on occasion add what little I know to the forum:)

Kurt-Holz
30-05-2008, 04:15
Hi Fast forward

does anyone get British humor, or is it correct to call it humor

yuk yuk

have to say, i do like the old Monty Python gigs

but i might have been herbally stimulated to enjoy them

:-)

BajaGringo
30-05-2008, 04:42
Welcome FF - Great folks here on AoS - Stick around and enjoy...

Filterlab
30-05-2008, 07:49
...after reading all of the jokes posted by the members I must admit I have no grasp of British Humor...

Don't worry, few have. :)

Welcome, nice to have you here!

Marco
30-05-2008, 08:01
Hi FF,

Welcome :smoking:

Great avatar, by the way - that's a proper piece of hi-fi equipment!

Regarding humour, I think there is a big difference in that appreciated by Brits and Americans. I often, for example, don't find American sit-coms or comedy shows funny. The only exceptions for me were 'Cheers' and 'Married with Children' - both of which I thought were superb. However, stuff like 'Frasier' and 'The Simpsons' leaves me cold. 'Ugly Betty', though, is very good!

Marco.

Filterlab
30-05-2008, 08:34
I like 'Friends' and 'Frasier' makes me chuckle occasionally. However my all time favourite is 'Family Guy' which just makes me roar. :lol: Leaves most comedy trailing in its wake.

Marco
30-05-2008, 09:09
You see, I can't stand 'Friends', and anything with that style of (I would call it banal) humour :lol:

I guess I prefer more 'zany' types of comedies, such as The League of Gentleman, Monty Python, Little Britain, and that type of thing. I also love Scottish comedies such as 'Chewin' the Fat', because I can relate to the Glaswegian humour and the vernacular used therein. I also used to really like Not the Nine O'Clock News, Black Adder, and Kenny Everett.

Marco.

Filterlab
30-05-2008, 09:29
You see, I like all those comedies too. Maybe I've got a liberal and wide ranging sense of humour. :)

Marco
30-05-2008, 09:35
Very possibly, my friend. It's the what I call the 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' type of humour that turns me off :)

Marco.

Filterlab
30-05-2008, 09:46
Now I like all the Richard Curtis comedies too. :) I think I just like everything.

Marco
30-05-2008, 10:02
Yep, you're just an entertainment tart! :lolsign:

Marco.

Filterlab
30-05-2008, 10:11
Yep, you're just an entertainment tart! :lolsign:

Marco.

Is that the same as a Pop Tart?

http://tiof.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/poptart.jpg

Marco
30-05-2008, 10:47
TGW,

I haven't read it yet - I'll have a look...

Marco.

Fast Forward
30-05-2008, 16:11
Thanks for the welcome Guys I,ll try to post some pics of my Equipment,soon ,,And to quote George Bernard Shaw,,England and America are two countries seperated by a common Language,and I,ll add sense of humor to that,also,,

BajaGringo
30-05-2008, 16:23
I often, for example, don't find American sit-coms or comedy shows funny.

Neither do I, which is one of the reasons I rarely turn on the TV if except for news, golf, discovery channel/history channel and some shows on animal planet where I find some of the more intelligent characters on TV.

As a side note I was living in Argentina back in the 80's, which included the time of the Falkland Islands / Malvinas war. Benny Hill was very popular on TV back then and of course, during the war they took it off the air. Within a month following the end of the war it was back up due to public demand...