PDA

View Full Version : Best Concert You Have Been To.....

soundhd
20-03-2019, 20:45
Wondering what is the best live concert you have attended. I know sometimes that would be a tough one to answer...
Mine...7-14-1994 Pink Floyd tour, Silverdome in Pontiac MI.

ReggieB
20-03-2019, 22:37
They Might Be Giants - at Cardiff University - June 1990. (http://tmbw.net/wiki/Shows/1990-06-19). The hall at the University Union was large. At most concerts I went to while I was at university there would be a group close to the stag bobbing up and down - but most people stood and enjoyed the music. At this concert, everyone was moving to the music - expect those near the stage because the were packed so tight they couldn't move. It was just fantastic and everyone was in such a good mood.

prestonchipfryer
21-03-2019, 09:08
Wishbone Ash, Bournemouth Winter Gardens, mid-70s. :)

alphaGT
21-03-2019, 09:32
Wow that’s a tough one! I’ve been to so many back in the day. But one ZZ Top concert was as Rob described, everyone was moving, cheering! I’ve never heard a crowd respond like they did that night. Everyone knew every song, a night to remember. Second runner up might be one of the times I saw Rush, or an early Robert Plant concert, not too long after Led Zeppelin broke up. The crowd has everything to do with a good show.

Russell

Roy S
21-03-2019, 09:53
Hawkwind - Hammersmith Odeon - December 1989

WESTLOWER
21-03-2019, 10:00
Prince, Ronnie Scotts

WESTLOWER
21-03-2019, 10:03
Or maybe Ian Dury Dingwalls, Camden

WESTLOWER
21-03-2019, 10:09
Scrub that ..Cassandra Wilson - The Blue Note - NYC
This is impossible...

gninnam
21-03-2019, 11:29
BrandX - was 1980 (or was it 1979.....) at the Manchester Polytechnic (only around 100 people there)

alphaGT
22-03-2019, 05:42
BrandX - was 1980 (or was it 1979.....) at the Manchester Polytechnic (only around 100 people there)

I had a similar concert that might also rank close to number one. I saw Judas Priest in 1979 I think, it was a holiday concert, and there were 3 big shows in the area, I opted for the indoor show, and the place was only about one third full, nobody was there! But they played until they turned the lights out about 1:30am! They played old cover songs! People were literally dancing, due to all the open space on the floor. They turned the lights out mid song, everything died with a grown.

Russell

Pigmy Pony
24-03-2019, 15:15
Wow that’s a tough one! I’ve been to so many back in the day. But one ZZ Top concert was as Rob described, everyone was moving, cheering! I’ve never heard a crowd respond like they did that night. Everyone knew every song, a night to remember. Second runner up might be one of the times I saw Rush, or an early Robert Plant concert, not too long after Led Zeppelin broke up. The crowd has everything to do with a good show.

Russell

+1 for ZZ Top, mine was part of Monsters of Rock at Donington, 1985. How they could be so loud playing outdoors? Almost but not quite bettered by Pixies at Preston Guildhall about 1990, after releasing "Bossanova". Really my most enjoyable was Orbital at Glastonbury 1994, but it was chemically enhanced, so probably doesn't count.

soundhd
25-03-2019, 15:13
Wishbone Ash, Bournemouth Winter Gardens, mid-70s. :)

My first Wishbone Ash show....
I remember the first time I saw Wishbone Ash....early 70's, they were opening for Jethro Tull at the Michigan Palace I believe. Now you have to realize that the Jethro Tull fans "ONLY" wanted to see Tull.......always gave the opening acts a hard time, lots of booing, that sort of thing. Well I would say by the time Wishbone Ash had finished the first song things had quieted down alot, by the 3rd song the crown was in full attention to the show....they made Wishbone Ash do three encores...unheard of at Jethro Tull concerts. Been a loyal Wishbone As fan ever since. A couple months later I read in a concert trade magazine that Tull dropped Wishbone Ash as a opening act.....soon after they were headlining their own shows.......... Saw Wishbone Ash a couple years ago they came thru town at a smaller venue......still very good.

Macca
25-03-2019, 18:08
Steely Dan, Aintree Racecourse Liverpool 1997. People were dancing in the aisles, everyone knew every word of every song and the (enormous) band were clearly loving it. I had a seat in the front row dead centre. Donald Fagan was about 15 feet away from me on his keyboards. Fabulous night and a free bar. I'm afraid I was very, very drunk.

Tull in 1990 Victoria Hall Hanley was another good one. Saw them again in '94 same venue but it wasn't the same.

struth
25-03-2019, 18:15
The Tartan Lads, in the coop hall... bloomers everywhere man:eyebrows:

Macca
25-03-2019, 18:17
Never heard of them. :ner:

Pigmy Pony
25-03-2019, 18:50
The Tartan Lads, in the coop hall... bloomers everywhere man:eyebrows:

Who they then? Bay City Rollers?

struth
25-03-2019, 18:54
Very famous Scottish band. Local to me they were. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190325/fe5a81dda8430007de3f76792f2d2ede.jpg

Macca
25-03-2019, 18:56
And they're wearing tartan!

Excellent.

struth
25-03-2019, 19:27
Made at least 10 albums.

Ian7633
25-03-2019, 21:03
Alice Cooper Special Forces Tour 1981 at the Brighton Centre, Almost naked women, live snakes, stabbings and lots of fake blood, quite an experience. I also saw Pink Floyd The Wall live 1980 at Earls Court. The tickets were a Christmas present for me and the other apprentice from the boss, sadly I wasn't really into Floyd then so really didn't appreciate what I was seeing. I think I've still got the programme somewhere.

Spectral Morn
25-03-2019, 22:24
Blue Nile - Opera House Belfast, maybe 7 years ago.

Clannad - early 90s Belfast.

Steven Wilson - Madela Hall Belfast last year.

Jane Siberry - Real Music Club Belfast.

Steve Hackett - Waterfront Hall Belfast.

floppybootstomp
25-03-2019, 22:47
I have been to one or two gigs in my time but the one concert that blew me away - and I'm almost ashamed to admit this in retrospect - was Genesis at Earls Court London in 1977. At the time only the first two post-Gabriel LPs had been issued and the band still had a bit of an edge and that night they were just on form. Couple that with the best laser show I'd ever seen at that time and I went home a happy fella.

It also helped that a mate of mine was working security and managed to get me from seats at the back of the hall to seats three rows from the front for me and wife person as Susan George and Hubby weren't going to make it that evening so their VIP seats were empty. Result.

That was a Saturday evening. The next day I saw The Stranglers at The Roundhouse. Nowt like a bit of contrast.

There have been many other notable music events I've attended but I'll just mention the one that, so far, impressed me the most.

Pete The Cat
31-03-2019, 08:19
Ramones Sheffield Octagon 1987. 10 years on from their heyday, I'd seen them before but this time I was wedged into the centre of the front row (probably still have the barrier marks on my ribcage) with nothing between me and the band. I still remember the hum of the amps, their sweat and the smell of leather. Happily part of the gig was recorded by the BBC.

Kids today..squinting at the 02's video screens showing a band that's 100m away...

Pete

ianlenco
31-03-2019, 08:31
Historically, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac on their farewell tour at the Redcar Jazz Club in the early 70's.
More recently Emiliana Torrini and The Colorist at the Shepherd's Bush Empire last year. Absolutely amazing concert.

oldius
31-03-2019, 08:47
Prince, at a variety of venues. Consistently the best performer I have seen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

karma67
31-03-2019, 08:55
mine was u2 in paris,the love town tour with bb king as the support.