PDA

View Full Version : VOLUMIO

AndreVOLUMIO
19-03-2019, 07:54
Hello everyone,

Glad to be back here representing VOLUMIO.
As you may or may not know, VOLUMIO recently got into the hardware business.
Makes sense when you think about it since they created the best audiophile music player software that all the other manufacturers are using for free.

They released the PRIMO , a music network player/streamer that stands out.

No more RPI
>> it's ASUS Tinkerboard powered. Better connectivity, better memory speed, embedded software (no more pesky SD cards to deal with...), less limitations overall.

3 in 1 audio outputs
>> analog/digital/USB to DAC (up to PCM 32 bit 768 kHz and DSD512)

Supports all formats
>>DSD, WAV, FLAC, Alac, Aac, Vorbis, Cue, Mp3 and more

ESS SABRE DAC inside.

and then of course, the legendary VOLUMIO software and features (multi language, TIDAL/QUBOOZ ready, bunch of plugins such as Spotify, Pandora, Youtube, Logitech Media and more...NAS , UPNP and more... )
you can read more here
https://volumio.org/primo/

I would love to open a discussion and get your feedback about it and them even get a review unit rolling with the new myVolumio software and license.

Cheers and chat soon :cool:

AJSki2fly
19-03-2019, 08:22
Hello Andre

Nice to see you on AoS. I am a Volumio user and stream radio station a lot (I try and user higher res when possible), I have around 1400 albums and various tracks on a NAS drive mainly FLAC or M4A, and a few MP3. I also stream with TIDAL either using Volumio or through Audirvana on my Mac, we also use iPad and iPhones.

Late last year I entered this realm with a RPI/HiFiBerry and Digi plus into a Caiman SEG, I went down this route as it seemed the most cost effective option at the time giving a good musical quality and I could use the DAC with my CD to hopefully improve SQ.

At the time I looked at single box solutions but price and limitations put me off, unfortunately the new offering was not around then and came out only a month or so later. If it had been there I probably would have gone for it.

I would be most interested in trying out the PRIMO as it could be a good next step for me and allow me to consolidate into one box.

Please let me know if this might be possible.

Kind Regards

Adrian

AndreVOLUMIO
19-03-2019, 09:09
Thanks for the feedback Adrian.
I'm always fascinated by the hardware journey of audiophiles such as yourself.

I would love to have a PRIMO review unit roll within the community and get the feedback.
This is the 1st product that VOLUMIO releases and they are very eager to see what people have to say.

Sales have been amazing thanks to a very tightly knitted community that supports them and feedback has been very good on the sound quality, so good that its now time to spread the word.

Lets see how we can make that happen here.

Edward
19-03-2019, 10:47
Very interesting. Love the way you are have integrated several functions within one package and made it simple to set up and use.

What are your Roon plans please? Would possibly be interested in using this as a Roon end point (I have Roon Core already solid elsewhere).

AndreVOLUMIO
19-03-2019, 11:35
Hi Ed,

thanks for participating in the discussion.
count about 3 months for the primo to be a full fledged roon end point, its being certified, so all depends on them now.

Edward
19-03-2019, 12:14
That's good news Andre that you are already in the Roon cert stage. Good luck with that but I'm sure it will be fine.

Small follow on question if I may? Is the SPDIF output taken from the internal DAC or is it a bit perfect pass through from the ethernet/wifi link? What max rates are you employing on the spdif channel?

AndreVOLUMIO
19-03-2019, 13:44
Hey Ed, just the kind of questions I and the rest of the members love.
The SPDIF output is taken directly from the Tinkerboard, so it's bit-perfect until 24bits/192.

Guys, I am making a list and checking it twice for a PRIMO review pass around unit.
Already got a few PMs... if interested, you know where to reach me.
Please include your address so we can keep in somewhat regional.

struth
19-03-2019, 13:46
Hi Ed,

thanks for participating in the discussion.
count about 3 months for the primo to be a full fledged roon end point, its being certified, so all depends on them now.

will the older units update to that Andre? Just your primo is on my list but is it better to wait

Edward
19-03-2019, 13:50
Hey Ed, just the kind of questions I and the rest of the members love.
The SPDIF output is taken directly from the Tinkerboard, so it's bit-perfect until 24bits/192.

Guys, I am making a list and checking it twice for a PRIMO review pass around unit.
Already got a few PMs... if interested, you know where to reach me.
Please include your address so we can keep in somewhat regional.

Thanks Andre

But is that after being processed by the onboard dac? What I'm trying to establish is if I could use the Primo simply as a digital transport (roon core > ethernet > primo > spdif >external dac).

struth
19-03-2019, 13:53
if its spidif it wont have been in the dac, or i wouldnt think so.

AndreVOLUMIO
19-03-2019, 22:10
Thanks Andre

But is that after being processed by the onboard dac? What I'm trying to establish is if I could use the Primo simply as a digital transport (roon core > ethernet > primo > spdif >external dac).

No, the digital SPDIF output is not processed by the onboard DAC. Yes, you can for sure use the Primo as a pure digital transport.

AndreVOLUMIO
26-03-2019, 09:04
Hi to all,
Just a quick update to let everyone know that we are shipping out a review unit destined to the AOS community.
The unit is meant to be passed around so if you are interested, please expect to pay the shipping fees to send it to the next person and everything else it entices.
We expect it to reach the first reviewer by mid next week.

I've already received a few PMs from interested parties and a list is being created, so reach out if interested.

Regards

AndreVOLUMIO
16-04-2019, 10:40
hello to all,

just a little update as the "pass around" review unit is on the way to being delivered to the 1st person on the list.
Excited to get the initial feedback.
We should get some news soon!

Cheers

The Black Adder
16-04-2019, 13:18
I got the Primo today, Andre.

Its still in the box as I'm decorating today.. Lol

Will get it plugged in ASAP and review. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

AndreVOLUMIO
22-04-2019, 11:12
Happy Easter to all who celebrate it!

AndreVOLUMIO
25-04-2019, 09:09
Hi to all, so we have 4 UK based community members who will take a closer look at the PRIMO.
I have the list with me and will coordinate the point to point shipping.
Exciting.
I also think its enough people for now, as each will take some time to listen to it.

Thanks to all for the great response.

Edward
29-04-2019, 07:44
Looking forward to trying and listening to the Primo. I will be trying the Primo both as a digital transport (to external DACs) as well as a fully fledged Streamer DAC.

AndreVOLUMIO
03-05-2019, 14:27
TGIF good people fo AOS!

if any of you are attending the High-End show in Munich next week, I would love to shake your hand .
Come see us at booth H1 A21.

show details:
https://www.highendsociety.de/index.php/en/facts.html

Cheers

struth
03-05-2019, 14:39
TGIF good people fo TAS!

if any of you are attending the High-End show in Munich next week, I would love to shake your hand .
Come see us at booth H1 A21.

show details:
https://www.highendsociety.de/index.php/en/facts.html

Cheers

tas? ;):whistle:

AndreVOLUMIO
04-05-2019, 09:41
hehe...
Grant, you caught that one.
AOS i meant to say in my own special way :)

AndreVOLUMIO
13-05-2019, 13:32
Hi to all.

High-End Munich was a total success, not only for us but for the whole industry.
So many things to see and listen to .
A show I recommend to all!!
I will let the pros do the coverage, but I was impressed to see that many consider streaming to be the future.

We had a booth there and showcased the PORIMO and featured the MOTIVO.
You can read some inform about it here
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/05/11/volumio-motivo-gorgeous-audio-streamer-sopine-a64-som/

we will also soon release more info.

regards to all

AndreVOLUMIO
02-06-2019, 16:28
Hi to all.
Some exciting news for all those who think about upgrading or changing streamers...
Volumio along with Superphonica offer, see here:
https://volumio.org/volumio-superphonica-great-deal-replace-old-streamer-volumio-primo/

Any hardware... Just list it and get a discount.

All the best
Andre