PDA

View Full Version : Excel S-70EX and Sontra 500EX Cartridges

DirectDrive_Gordon
09-05-2010, 08:16
Does anyone have any information on or any experience of using the Excel S-70EX and Sontra 500EX Cartridges (the Sontra is a OEM Excel)?

ahgotriddm
20-05-2010, 23:37
Does anyone have any information on or any experience of using the Excel S-70EX and Sontra 500EX Cartridges (the Sontra is a OEM Excel)?
I have used the Sontra, with very pleasing results, to my ears at any rate. I think that the performance of a cartridge can often be largely predicted from the published frequency response and separation figures, and the figures in this case attracted me, being excellent at any price. At the reduced price due to this model being no longer current production, they are exceptional- and, for me, the listening results are way better with the Sontra than anything else I've heard available at the price (which is most of them), except perhaps the budget Audio Technicas, which are very good value, and share the same sort of dynamic and engaging sound. The supplied elliptical stylus is very good, but there are improvements available which can greatly increase the total cost, though they take the listening experience to a different level.