PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Mike Harbon
16-03-2019, 10:34
Hi all,

Mike here, glad to become part of the community, I have two systems, the first is in the lounge and is also used for AV:

LG 42" Smart TV
Denon AVR 3805 amp
B&W ASW600 Sub
AR Legend TT, Linn Basik LVX arm, Audio Technica AT120 cartridge
Meridian 506 CD
Yamaha NS-C90 central speaker
Monitor Audio R250 speakers

No rear speakers as yet but working on it.

Upstairs I have a dedicated listening room which has:

Linn Sondek LP12, Linn Basik Plus arm, Audio Technica AT120E cartridge
Meridian 207 CD
Meridian 203 DAC
Meridian 562 Controller
Meridian 518 Digital Signal Processor
Musical Fidelity FX2 Power Amp
B&W 600 Series 2 speakers
Rega Research Fono Stage

As you can tell I like British Hi-Fi gear and Meridian in particular.

Thanks

Macca
16-03-2019, 11:41
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

That's a lot of Meridian but what's wrong with their power amps? ;)

Mike Harbon
16-03-2019, 12:00
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

That's a lot of Meridian but what's wrong with their power amps? ;)

Hi Macca, nothing wrong with Meridian power amps I just don't have enough organs to sell to afford them. :D

AJSki2fly
16-03-2019, 12:20
HI Mike

Some nice gear there, I used to have a similar set up and then went back to vinyl and headed off to valve amps. I sued to have a 557 amp, week worth finding one.

As a heads up in case you don't know. You might want to hunt down a replacement CD tray/laser mechanism for your 506. I believe both the 506 and 508 used the same Philips mechanism or similar. Mine started miss-tracking a few years ago, I found a chap who took it apart, a known issue is that the grease they used from new can go hard and then cause issues, he cleaned it all and re-greased and it was fine. In the worse case damage to the plastic cog track can occur. I got a spare replacement Philips mechanism just in case, these are hard to come by, and I still have the 508 which is great.

Cheers

Adrian

Mike Harbon
16-03-2019, 16:06
HI Mike

Some nice gear there, I used to have a similar set up and then went back to vinyl and headed off to valve amps. I sued to have a 557 amp, week worth finding one.

As a heads up in case you don't know. You might want to hunt down a replacement CD tray/laser mechanism for your 506. I believe both the 506 and 508 used the same Philips mechanism or similar. Mine started miss-tracking a few years ago, I found a chap who took it apart, a known issue is that the grease they used from new can go hard and then cause issues, he cleaned it all and re-greased and it was fine. In the worse case damage to the plastic cog track can occur. I got a spare replacement Philips mechanism just in case, these are hard to come by, and I still have the 508 which is great.

Cheers

Adrian

HI Adrain,

Thanks for the information regarding the 506, well worth knowing. I'll keep an eye out for a Meridian 557 amp, it certainly looks to be an excellent upgrade from the FX2.

Mike

southall-1998_mk2
16-03-2019, 17:01
Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.

walpurgis
16-03-2019, 23:31
Hello Mike. Welcome to AOS.

You have a decent selection of gear there. I'm quite fond of Meridian gear myself (use a 507).

Feel free to join in the fun and chat with everybody.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Mike Harbon
17-03-2019, 15:36
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I've been really happy with my setups over the last few years but I've a feeling joining this group is going to cost me money as I start to get the upgrade itch again. :eyebrows: