PDA

View Full Version : Portishead - Dummy

Haselsh1
12-03-2019, 16:36
Having never owned or even heard this album before, I have just received it through the post on CD from Amazon. As I am heavily influenced by electronic music I am hoping it is nothing short of a bloody miracle music wise. I am trying to catch up with albums I should have bothered with decades ago but unfortunately didn't. I have also just received the album Play by Moby also on CD as I sold my vinyl copy a few months back. Good album.

Pieoftheday
12-03-2019, 17:42
Having never owned or even heard this album before, I have just received it through the post on CD from Amazon. As I am heavily influenced by electronic music I am hoping it is nothing short of a bloody miracle music wise. I am trying to catch up with albums I should have bothered with decades ago but unfortunately didn't. I have also just received the album Play by Moby also on CD as I sold my vinyl copy a few months back. Good album.
Roseland NYC live is fantastic:) portishead

YNWaN
12-03-2019, 18:25
Yes, Roseland NYC is indeed fantastic - basically it is Dummy performed live.

Pieoftheday
12-03-2019, 18:46
Yes, Roseland NYC is indeed fantastic - basically it is Dummy performed live.

Could do with tad less of the crowd mind

YNWaN
12-03-2019, 20:25
Surely, you are joking ..... .. .!?

Sorry, I feel I should add a paragraph of system ephemera - here you go

Fhijtgjnzsgjuy cdty fruit. Frhjhdwe
Gdaghbdwgnhuyxvcdtg. Frvftgtgfgy
Htthjvdvv����bftubfdgbde
Fdgbbtyn j hfujh.)(:67778
Tfdsfj. (;367£
Vfhjnknj
Quite a lot more tedious bollox

Pieoftheday
12-03-2019, 20:29
Surely, you are joking ..... .. .!?

No, not one for crowds:) class album never the less , would have loved to have been there, just Portishead and me:cool:

YNWaN
12-03-2019, 20:32
And a shit load of other people .....

Pieoftheday
12-03-2019, 20:36
And a shit load of other people .....

Well yes,they could've have gone another night:)

The Black Adder
13-03-2019, 20:34
I saw portishead back in the 90s as dummy was released.

Pretty amazing. The album is astounding. I really like their next album 'Portishead - Portishead' too... That is just as weird but a tad darker... I like weird and dark.

Congrats in getting it. Classic.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

ianlenco
13-03-2019, 20:41
If you like Portishead then maybe give Beth Gibbon's solo LP a try too. Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man, Out of Season - moody.

Blackmass
17-03-2019, 22:38
Portishead 'Third' is an amazing album, which just so happens to sound amazing on vinyl too.

take5
18-03-2019, 08:15
Slightly off topic, but may be of interest.

My wife’s Dad was an actor and he was asked to audition for a band who wanted a particular look for a CD sleeve.

He got the gig and appeared on “OVER 2 “

This is him, on the front cover

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTISHEAD-UK-1997-CD-Single-OVER-2-with-LIVE-TRACKS/333114956204?hash=item4d8f32d9ac:g:r~kAAOSwaAJciTs 0

I think they used the picture on other stuff also

Haselsh1
23-03-2019, 14:46
Well I've listened to the album a few times and although it may grow on me, at the moment my thoughts are that it is not for me. Her voice is stunning but instrument wise I found it very disappointing.

Barry
23-03-2019, 17:15
Well I've listened to the album a few times and although it may grow on me, at the moment my thoughts are that it is not for me. Her voice is stunning but instrument wise I found it very disappointing.

I have a copy somewhere - bought simply because I know of Portishead, south of Bristol (where I was born and raised). Have to say I only played it a couple of times before loosing it in the bowels of my CD collection. I'm not that fired up to dig it out and give it another spin.

Pigmy Pony
31-03-2019, 20:06
Not keen at all. Find the music to be 'atmospheric', but also dull and rough at the same time, and too dark and dense for my taste. Sounds like it was produced to sound right on a crappy 90's midi system.

I bought it on CD, thinking I may one day grow into the sound. Also it was 50p.

Haselsh1
11-04-2019, 08:41
LOL I think mine cost me a tenner so I definitely got the raw deal. Weeks later and I am still not bowled over by it. I honestly thought with Adrian Utley being such a synth connoisseur there would be a lot more to it than just a load of sampled drum loops. I guess I'll keep it for a day when it suits the mood.

;)

stairpost
11-04-2019, 19:49
LOL I think mine cost me a tenner so I definitely got the raw deal. Weeks later and I am still not bowled over by it. I honestly thought with Adrian Utley being such a synth connoisseur there would be a lot more to it than just a load of sampled drum loops. I guess I'll keep it for a day when it suits the mood.

;)

I think reducing the album to "just a load of sampled drum loops" is doing it a bit of an injustice. It's obvious that certain tracks were the result of a straight sample, sour times and glory box for example. But the construction of the majority of the drum beats were the result of recording a live drummer and manipulating it to sound like a sampled beat, it was actually a pretty creative and innovative way of producing the distinctive sound. It was over 25 years ago now, and it's easy to look back at it from this distance through everything made after it and not see the how much work went into it. The non live drums, even though created on a drum machine were also constructed to provide an original stand alone beat/feel. The atmosphere and emotion of the album is as much in how the music was made, as it was in the honesty and fragility of the vocal performance.