PDA

View Full Version : Sachiko cabinets, FOC!

aquapiranha
07-05-2010, 20:41
I have a pair of Sachiko cabinets I built myself to a design by Scottmoose (famous on various forums)

They are built usin BB ply and sound great when fitted with Fostex FE206E's.

These are what they look like...

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/images/Sachico.gif

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/aquapiranha/Sachiko/CIMG3057.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/aquapiranha/Sachiko/CIMG3006.jpg

They are not 'perfect' but represent a not inconsiderable investment in terms of time and materials. There are a few people here who heard them when they had the fostex's fitted, and I think they would agree they sounded great.

One point, they are heavy, very heavy and 6 feet tall, so you are going to need an estate car at least to pick them up from the wirral.

Thanks, Steve :)

NB the clamps shown in the last pic were used during construction, and are no longer required! lol..

John
07-05-2010, 21:17
These should sound great for anyone who has the room

Stratmangler
07-05-2010, 21:23
I've heard Sachiko's with a Fostex 208Sigma and FT17H supertweeters, and they sounded unbelievable.

I wish I had the space Steve.

electric beach
26-08-2010, 10:31
Hi Mr Piranha

I am seriously tempted. I've been looking into building a horn loaded, full range driver speaker and realise they need to be on a grand scale. Searches for Fostex 206 brought me back home to your ad (fate! :eyebrows:) I need to check-out some reservations about my amp compatibility though.

Having got to the point of a finished working pair, and sounding great - what happened?! Did you find them too big for your room after all? Did the WAF fail?It seems a lot of work to abandon :scratch:

I had large TDL transmission lines in the past but they were way too boomy. I went down the Sat/Sub route because of this experience and I want to be careful not to repeat it, but I've only ever heard tight bass from the horns that I've heard at shows, even in very small rooms. I also want to get a speaker that sounds "grown up" at mid volume. My Scanspeak's do need top have their ass kicked!

aquapiranha
26-08-2010, 10:49
Hi Steve.

I simply had a go at trying other speakers, and I also swapped the 206's for a pair of Visatin B200's more suited to what I was building. The Sachiko sounded great when I was using them (ask Marco)

They are not 'perfect' in terms of finish etc but if like me you put the music before appearance you won';t be dissapointed! Just let me know if you decide you want them. WAF has never (and never will be) an issue for me, I have a pair of balls...lol

Steve

Mike
26-08-2010, 10:53
I wish I had the space Steve.

I wish I had the bottle!

If I brought those home I reckon they'd end up buried in the garden quite quickly.

With my dismembered body inside! :lol:

Alex_UK
26-08-2010, 11:50
I wish I had the bottle!

If I brought those home I reckon they'd end up buried in the garden quite quickly.

With my dismembered body inside! :lol:

On the other hand, she might beg you to keep the Yammies! :eyebrows:

electric beach
26-08-2010, 18:54
Thanks Steve

I need to do a little more research but now I know you've still got them, I'll continue.

I can see us losing a couple of cats in there! We've got a fearless kitten at the moment that might end up as organic damping :hmm:

Val said they look cute. Which is nice.

aquapiranha
26-08-2010, 19:42
No problem Steve. I will be around for about another month or so after which they will either have to be gone, or will have to be dumped!

Steve

Mike
26-08-2010, 19:48
or will have to be dumped!

No way! :stalks:

I'll come and get them anyway... even if they DO become my multiple coffins! :eek:

Reid Malenfant
26-08-2010, 19:48
Ooooh look at the old Wharfedales :)

Steve they are a cracking pair of enclosures & i'm talking about the Sachicos ;) If i had a car & license i'd snap your hand off & drive over asap & pick them up just to see what they actually sound like ;)

Unfortunately like you are contemplating i have had to get rid of a few enclosures myself & i'll be dumping at least 3 sets in the not too distant future :rolleyes:

I hope they go to a good home, shame to waste what looks like very good quality workmanship :doh:

aquapiranha
26-08-2010, 19:50
Haha lol mike!

Mike
26-08-2010, 19:53
Haha lol mike!

I'm serious!

They just CANNOT go onto the tip/bonfire! :trust:

Ali Tait
26-08-2010, 19:55
What's the dimensions Steve?

John
26-08-2010, 19:55
Try some of the DIY sites these are to good not to find a decent home

Stratmangler
26-08-2010, 19:57
What's the dimensions Steve?

A bit taller than yer average coffin when stood upright (the coffin, that is):eyebrows:

John
26-08-2010, 20:01

One point, they are heavy, very heavy and 6 feet tall, so you are going to need an estate car at least to pick them up from the wirral.

Thanks, Steve :)

Hope that helps Ali

electric beach
26-08-2010, 20:06
Whoah! Give me a chance boys! :lol:

Steve's had them posted for a couple of months. I've only been checking them out for a day. Don't give up yet - a very good and loving home may not be so far away....

Mike
26-08-2010, 20:08
Don't give up yet - a very good and loving home may not be so far away....

I hope so... otherwise they're MINE! :mad:

Reid Malenfant
26-08-2010, 20:10
First time i have seen them to :eyebrows: I haven't trawled through the old FS threads & it's probably better if i don't :lol:

I hope you manage to give them a good home Steve ;)

aquapiranha
26-08-2010, 20:19
Thanks Mark. It would be a shame for them to go to waste as despite not being perfect they sound great. There was a company in the US who were making them and charging $5K for them! Mind you they were nicely veneered etc.

:lol:

electric beach
01-09-2010, 19:53
No firewood available for this winter I'm pleased to say. Going to pick them up from Steve at the weekend. It will be a while before they're singing though; we've only just finished decorating the lounge so postponed disruption (which these will surely require :stalks:) is only fair exchange for a trial acceptance.

I've done a bit of research and getting quite excited at the prospect. I intend to get the EnABLed FE206eN^2 drivers from Planet10 Hi Fi. Sounds like I'm going to need the winter just to run the drivers in!

John
01-09-2010, 21:11
You will have some awesome speakers I once heard Dave the bass speakers and was pretty blown away with what they did with acoustic music

aquapiranha
01-09-2010, 21:26
Steve, see you saturday. I had essentially the same drivers, and I doubt you will be disappointed.

Ali Tait
02-09-2010, 09:37
You will have some awesome speakers I once heard Dave the bass speakers and was pretty blown away with what they did with acoustic music

Hi John,Dave's speakers are Saburos,look similar bit much smaller and use a 4 inch driver.The Sachikos use an 8 inch.

John
02-09-2010, 10:56
Ahh so should be even better scale
Gosh I thought Dave were pretty big!

electric beach
02-09-2010, 11:47
I must admit I've been able to find considerably more about the build process (wow - fair play to you Steve!) and cabinet damping questions than I have about the actual sound properties. I'm expecting a large, authoritive sound due to the horn connection with the air; I experience this with my nOhr standmounts when I introduce the REL sub that is designed to "lock-in" the room. I expect a very imposing and intimate sense of presence, mainly from hearing horn designs at shows. I know they will play loud and supposedly represent all types of music well - something that I value because I want to hear what I want to hear, not just stay whithin a system's limited genre ability. Beyond that... :confused:

It's hard to look at those boxes and imagine imaging, delicacy or tone. :lol:

John
02-09-2010, 11:50
It sounds like it be huge step up in performance but if you putting in a new pair of drivers they take lots of time to burn in so do not judge sound for a good few months

Ali Tait
02-09-2010, 12:21
Ahh so should be even better scale
Gosh I thought Dave were pretty big!

Yes,they are,but the Sachikos are even bigger! I heard a pair at one of the Owstons,and they have a huge sound.Everyone ended up standing about 20 meters away,and that was with a 2w/ch valve amp.You need a big room for these!

john blackburn
02-09-2010, 16:43
Hi electric beach.

I've heard them on a number of occasions, you will not be disappointed.

If my rooms were big enough I would have snapped his hand off for them.

They sound even bigger than they are, a feat in itself.

John