PDA

View Full Version : Clyde and the Kelvin

wee tee cee
11-03-2019, 10:33
Ive got my mits on Brians two new cables the Clyde and the Kelvin.

I have only put about 10 hours on them both but have been massively impressed.

My system is solid state so just out of interest plumbed them into my sons Croft set up.

A bottle of Bourbon later we had established that both cables are outstanding.

I will get my head round what they do and post up my impressions.

wee tee cee
13-03-2019, 15:25
Gave the Clyde and Kelvin another ten hours,took them back over to Brians this morning.

Brian has decided to change the recipe in the Kelvin so wont be getting sent out this week.

The Clyde has been finalised spec wise...Ive commissioned one and Brian has made one up for himself.

Nick (silent) has had his for just over a week.

I used the Clyde between my TQ Claymore and Elsdon Wonfor audio M50 utilising the DAC in the TQ.

Flac fed from a Innous zen mini via a silver lavri reference twin headed usb cable.

Speakers are Reiver acoustic Eddingdale SRs,speaker wire EWA LS25/TQ ultra black jumpers.

Power fed from a airlink bmu.

Streaming courtesy of a Google chromecast audio/battery powered/spotify premium/glass optical into a Beresford SEG with the latest firmware and dorado psu.

Headphone listening on Sennhieser 700s.

Initial impressions are of the dynamics, very fast starting and stopping...just the sheer amount of air they shift is a head scratcher.

Detail resolution is the best ive heard, loads of well known tracks are showing up double and triple tacking on vocals.

Soundstage is very wide with proper positioning of instruments and rock solid vocals.

Lack of distortion is very noticeable.

I cant detect any sonic anomalies, treble is sweet with a beautifully resolved multi layer bass with no smearing.

Vocals are gorgeous, I have a bit of a weakness for female vocals Ella /Aretha/London grammar/Allison Kraus/Skin/Sarah Jarosz/Aiofe o donavan.

Plumbed two pairs into Brians system this morning, between dac/ pre and the other pair between the pre and power.

Once he stopped swearing at me we established that it was another noticeable upgrade.

IMHO these cables are tantamount to a system upgrade, we have sent nearly a year on different cable configurations-Silver end to end.

Brian has tried numerous combinations of plugs/solder/wire and implementation...we reckon we are onto something with this combo.

Proofs in the pudding...will get the Clyde sent out this week to the first listener.

Apologies for not getting more hours on them but i reckon they will do justice to all the development and testing that has let us settle on them.

Look forward to reading members impressions of them.

Gazjam
15-03-2019, 20:50
Over to Brian’s today for a long belated visit, and kinda catching up on forumland schennanigans n stuff.
Sorry I missed you Tony, didn’t know you were coming over today...need to catch up mate, been a while.

Seen and heard Brian’s new cables, very very nice.
He’s made a few changes in DACs and amps since last time I was over, and suspect I’m hearing what his kit can really do.

I like the cables a lot.

brian2957
15-03-2019, 21:00
Good to see you both today guys . We really need to get a ' board meeting ' arranged soon :)

VanDerGraaf
15-03-2019, 21:08
Nice to see the products bearing local names! Curious to see how this all turns out.:)

wee tee cee
16-03-2019, 07:48
I bet Gary didnt bring top notch sugar donuts!!!

brian2957
16-03-2019, 07:55
Nope , but he did bring me a couple of Napkins from Cheers ( remember that comedy ) in Boston :)

brian2957
16-03-2019, 07:57
Nice to see the products bearing local names! Curious to see how this all turns out.:)

Thanks Rohan . We're working on it :)

wee tee cee
19-03-2019, 15:14
The Clyde and Kelvin have been dispatched to the first member.

Apologies they dont have more hours on them.

Both myself and Brian run 50cm cables, Nick \(silent) is running 25cm between his dac and hpa.

The demo cables are 1m to let more folk fit them in theyre set ups.

My Clyde was reconfigured to the final spec last week but differs from the others in that my cable( not the plugs) has been run in for maybe six months.

Both myself and Brian agreed it sounds smoother having had loads of hours on the wire....

rather excited to get another set of ears/different system/room/music to get some feedback.

Bigman80
19-03-2019, 15:36
The Clyde and Kelvin have been dispatched to the first member.

Apologies they dont have more hours on them.

Both myself and Brian run 50cm cables, Nick \(silent) is running 25cm between his dac and hpa.

The demo cables are 1m to let more folk fit them in theyre set ups.

My Clyde was reconfigured to the final spec last week but differs from the others in that my cable( not the plugs) has been run in for maybe six months.

Both myself and Brian agreed it sounds smoother having had loads of hours on the wire....

rather excited to get another set of ears/different system/room/music to get some feedback.Hi Tony,

I may have missed it somewhere so if its already been stated, I apologise.

What's your connection to 20/20?

Are you a customer or are you part of the brand?

wee tee cee
19-03-2019, 15:49
Hi Tony,

I may have missed it somewhere so if its already been stated, I apologise.

What's your connection to 20/20?

Are you a customer or are you part of the brand?Test driver....always complaining it needs more horsepower!!

Bigman80
19-03-2019, 15:56
Test driver....always complaining it needs more horsepower!![emoji23][emoji23] yes, more ponies the better!

So are you officially a part of the 20/20 set up or a customer?

Making announcements on the whereabouts and status of the cable could suggest you are invested in 20/20.

struth
20-03-2019, 12:55
had a short listen to a set on my vinyl side. interesting they are, and certainly change the presentation. Wasnt long enough to give a verdict on but, yes they are different

brian2957
20-03-2019, 13:28
Long overdue visit Grant , sorry I couldn't stat longer for an extended listen :)

struth
20-03-2019, 13:30
good to see you mate. cables do something fairly dramatic; more so than ive heard with any other. you spot it straight away

brian2957
20-03-2019, 13:32
Yup , agreed mate , on the short listen we had :)

wee tee cee
20-03-2019, 14:21
Out of interest, how did they sound in a vinyl rig?

struth
21-03-2019, 14:33
Out of interest, how did they sound in a vinyl rig?

As I say it wasnt in long, but it had a bit wider soundstage, detail was more too, but my system inst the average one and has a lot of copper cable in and is thus quite laid back so it brightened it up a bit.
Wasn't long enough to say whether it was a good thing or not, but most definitely noticeable from the off. I can imagine it will help a lot of systems, and probably more digital side than vinyl. Only cables ive ever put in where the difference was so obvious tho:) He is on to something for sure...
Just my immediate impressions.

brian2957
21-03-2019, 14:55
Thanks for posting your take on these cables Grant . It was good to see you mate .

struth
21-03-2019, 14:58
Thanks for posting your take on these cables Grant . It was good to see you mate .

indeed; you too... shouldnt have gone to shop after tho :doh: nearly killed me. gonna have to stop trying to walk it :(

struth
21-03-2019, 15:52
Might add if he ever pops over with a 1 metre set I might like to try them between oppo and pre.... might be interesting. but thats for another time

wee tee cee
21-03-2019, 16:04
Thanks for the feedback Grant....both cables that are out and about are both 1m.

It would be good to get your feedback on both.

All my listening has been done on digital,dont know if Brian listened to the Lenco with them.

I tried to evaluate each iteration on both main rig and cans, it was great fun.

brian2957
21-03-2019, 16:23
Turntable out of action at the moment , so only digital here :)

wee tee cee
21-03-2019, 16:33
That poor Lenco must have PTSD after the drunken abuse i inflicted upon it.

brian2957
21-03-2019, 16:34
That's OK I'll let you know the ( high ) cost of treatment :ner:

It's hiding in the loft just now :)