PDA

View Full Version : FR-64S on SL-1200

Ammonite Audio
10-03-2019, 14:39
A bit of fun here today swapping tonearms on the Technics SL-1200GR. This time, a Fidelity Research FR-64S, here in one of my Ammonite Audio machined modular Technics SL-1200 armboards. The arm is sporting an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B in a Timestep ebony headshell. The FR-64S has classic Japanese heavyweight build and still delights. I shall listen to some SPUs later!

The FR-64S is just about the longest tonearm that will fit properly on a Technics SL-1200

https://i.imgur.com/5PnFsJq.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/tFMaIss.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/W6v9kv1.jpg?1

montesquieu
10-03-2019, 14:51
Great minds Hugo .. I stuck on an FR64S last night. This is my old one from years ago that has made its way back to me after me originally swapping it for a 12in SME.

How's it with the Kontrapunkt? I've always found it more forgiving of more compliant cartridges than the effective mass calculations might suggest.

I can imagine that it's quite a winner on that Technics deck. Pretty cool you have an armboard that fits.

https://i.imgur.com/65XMV91.jpg

Ammonite Audio
10-03-2019, 15:06
The Kontrapunkt B is one of those cartridges whose compliance specs suggest it should not really work in a heavyweight arm like the FR-64S, or my Glanz, but it does work, and the measured fundamental resonance (using Analog Magik) is actually around 9 Hz, so OK. The Kontrapunkt is the very epitome of a modern clean sounding MC cartridge with a somewhat 'etched' top end, but that's tamed beautifully by adding 1.5uF input capacitance on the Miyajima ETR-STEREO SUT. It's very engaging, but does not quite tug at my musical heart strings like an SPU, or a Miyajima.

The armboard is actually one with a blank centre plate (https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product/technics-sl-1200-armboard-blank-centre-plate-copy/) and I had the mounting hole cut specially for the FR-64S, which does fit with the lid closed. A typical 10" arm wouldn't fit.

mikeyb
10-03-2019, 16:37
Snap ! ( Almost )

Black FX (s) version normally with Kontrapunkt B and Orsonic headshell, but I was road testing an ADC MKIII [emoji23]

[emoji4]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190310/97a1a6ada889db330738b85bb0148bae.jpg

Lee Henley
11-03-2019, 21:31
The FR64s is an arm I’ve always fancied trying out they have an awesome reputation that’s for sure

Lee Henley
26-03-2019, 09:37
A small follow up to my last post, I managed to buy one of the from Tom on here, picked it up the weekend and got it up and running on sunday, all I can say is WOW, these are incredible arms, absolutely slaughtered my Jelco 750, the bass and dynamics is on another level

I may get another one when funds permit or possibly an Ikeda arm, need to save up for that one though

montesquieu
26-03-2019, 18:36
A small follow up to my last post, I managed to buy one of the from Tom on here, picked it up the weekend and got it up and running on sunday, all I can say is WOW, these are incredible arms, absolutely slaughtered my Jelco 750, the bass and dynamics is on another level

I may get another one when funds permit or possibly an Ikeda arm, need to save up for that one though

Glad it's doing the business :)

Ammonite Audio
26-03-2019, 19:36
Glad it's doing the business :)

As is mine, presently sporting the Miyajima Saboten L stereo cartridge (https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product/miyajima-sabotenl-stereo-cartridge/), which together sound utterly sublime. The Glanz MH-94S is definitely a better sounding arm than the old FR-64S, but the FR is still way better than most modern arms, at least with low compliance cartridges,

Hammer
26-03-2019, 22:21
How do you find the Timestep headshell have been considering trying one

Ammonite Audio
27-03-2019, 06:09
How do you find the Timestep headshell have been considering trying one

Rather lovely. It lives up to preconceptions about what something made from ebony should sound like, eg civilised, delicate and sonorous.

Marco
27-03-2019, 08:43
Looks great, Hugo! How would you say the FR-64S changes the musical presentation of the Techy - essentially what does it bring to the party?:)

The Kontrapunkt is the very epitome of a modern clean sounding MC cartridge with a somewhat 'etched' top end, but that's tamed beautifully by adding 1.5uF input capacitance on the Miyajima ETR-STEREO SUT. It's very engaging, but does not quite tug at my musical heart strings like an SPU, or a Miyajima.

Quite, which is why the latter is the flavour I much prefer with vinyl replay. You can keep yer 'etched top end'!;)

Marco.

Ammonite Audio
27-03-2019, 09:24
This is the SL-1200GR, which has a completely different drive system to older models; and IMO far better for it, in particular having a musically ordered and lyrical character that the previous generations did not (IME/IMO) quite have. The standard tonearm fitted to the SL-1200GR is pretty awful, and significantly worse than what Technics provided with the old models, and not at all to be confused with the magnesium arm fitted to the SL-1200G/GAE. The SL-1200GR's stock arm does its very best to obscure the musically deft character of the new motor system, sounding constrained and disorganised. Technics make the GR in Japan and that clearly costs money compared to lower cost countries, so in aiming for an affordable retail price, some aspects of design quality had to give, and in the case of the GR it's the tonearm that's compromised.

So, there are many arms that improve the SL-1200GR and the FR-64S is just one of them. It has real 'heft' both in the physical sense and in providing a solid 'foundation' and 'depth' to the music that the stock GR totally fails to achieve. Japanese 'battleship' arms like the FR-64S also manage to put across rather more subtle and nuanced aspects of a musical performance, such as what I like to term 'musical anticipation', which for me is the rising tension as an orchestra is about to fire up. It's amazing how such an atmospheric aspect of a good recording can be lost with less accomplished tonearms. So, to answer your question directly, the FR-64S brings great dynamics, colour and musical expression to a deck that is technically awesome but otherwise flawed.

I should add that my FR-64S has been serviced by Phonomac of this parish, including new hybrid ceramic bearings and silver internal wire, so it's probably close in performance to how it came out of the factory nearly 40 years ago. It's such a lovely arm, to use as well as to hear, and it does hold up well against new high mass alternatives, although a Glanz is genuinely better to my ears. Of course, the FR-64S is still relatively affordable and will retain its value, and it does look so good on any deck, let alone the SL-1200GR.

One of these days I'd love to bring the GR up for you to hear.

Looks great, Hugo! How would you say the FR-64S changes the musical presentation of the Techy - essentially what does it bring to the party?:)

Quite, which is why the latter is the flavour I much prefer with vinyl replay. You can keep yer 'etched top end'!;)

Marco.