PDA

View Full Version : Low quality signal to harm the speakers?

Sansiiro
09-03-2019, 08:37
Hello!

I have noticed that some audio-fans don't connect their TV-s to their
precious sound systems.
This makes me wonder, do they/YOU(?) consider this to potentially damage their
pricey speakers, considering that the signal from TV may not be as
good as say from the CD-player?
The audio signal I get from my TV is definitely very poor.
It comes via internet to "box" then via scart to TV, then via RCA to Receiver.
I am also experiencing occasional cracklings and bass-thumps from speakers when operating
the TV, say turning it off/on.

I have no fancy speakers but would you warn against such practice?

Thank you!

Stratmangler
09-03-2019, 08:55
I've had my TV connected to the audio gear for years, without problems.
It's a great way of bypassing the crappy TV audio internals.
In my case the TV has a Toslink out, so that is connected to my external DAC, which also has my Squeezebox Touch connected to it.

That is 95% of my audio playback on just one amplifier input - the other input I use is for my turntable setup.
I don't have problems with cracks and bangs.
If I did have such problems I would switch inputs or at least mute the amplifier output before doing anything with the TV. A remote controllable amp is a godsend in such instances.

Macca
09-03-2019, 09:01
unless the sound is heavily distorted and cranked up loud you're not going to damage the speakers.

I use HDMI from box to telly then optical cable from telly to amplifier (with built in DAC). Most channels don't have a cd quality sound feed but they all sound acceptable. Although I still miss NICAM, that gave a great sound IMO.

Sansiiro
11-03-2019, 20:46
Thank you so much.
The distortion however sometimes happens.
A family member uses the box remote, and tunes the volume down - then another member likes the receiver remote, and tunes it way up on receiver - and she pushes it way up, if the box is at minimum volume.
Then she calls on me and says: "whats wrong with the sound?" - The sound has picked up a lot of electric noise. I think I will do smth with the box remote, I will disable it somehow.
I have been trying to use "one4all" remote, I think I will give another go.

Thank you so much again for your time!!

Macca
11-03-2019, 21:02
I think your family member is telling you that they want a more powerful home cinema system :)

YNWaN
11-03-2019, 22:17
The reason I don’t have sources like my phone or TV connected to my hi-fi isn’t because they will do any harm, it’s just that they sound awful!

YNWaN
12-03-2019, 09:11
Oh, the distortion you are sometimes getting is because you effectively have two volume controls, and amplifiers, in series in the system - turn the source one up to maximum and use the other to actually adjust the volume - don't use a combination of both.

spendorman
12-03-2019, 11:58
Going back many decades, TVs might have had what they called a live chassis. In this case, one side of the mains (hopefully neutral) is connected to the TV chassis.

This would make connecting an external speaker or speaker / amplifier pretty dangerous. I used to do this safely using an isolating transformer.

struth
12-03-2019, 12:02
Going back many decades, TVs might have had what they called a live chassis. In this case, one side of the mains (hopefully neutral) is connected to the TV chassis.

This would make connecting an external speaker or speaker / amplifier pretty dangerous. I used to do this safely using an isolating transformer.

yup, you had issues with connecting a scope too:steam: philips made one that had a tendancy to give you shocks or blow up if you were not careful... probably late 70's early 80's

sumday
12-03-2019, 15:15
If your TV box has a digital output, Virgin has optical...Sky both optical and coaxial, you can purchase a DAC from Amazon for less than 30 quid which will give a much improved sound quality.
You could, of course connect via your TV's optical out....most TV's made over the past 12 years have one.
Your box will likely have a setting buried deep in the menus to adjust sound delay if you experience lip synch issues

alphaGT
13-03-2019, 22:43
Playing crappy signals can contribute to blowing a speaker, but in and of itself will not harm it.

Speakers are harmed by too much power, that will either throw the voice coil all the way out of the gap, or melt the voice coil, shorting it out. Unless you tear the paper on an old speaker, (and I’ve done that! I added an amp to the stereo in my truck, and it ripped the center out around the voice coil former! I used contact cement to reattach). But just playing crappy noise will not readily damage speakers.

Using too small of an amp, or in other words, trying to make it play louder than it should, will push the amp into clipping, and that DC current in the signal will heat up the voice coil and melt it.

A speaker is a very simple machine, with only one moving part. Sure, no one wants to listen to a bunch of noise, (although a lot of Pop music makes me wonder?) but if we are worried about damage, Loud pops and unexpected transients can send the voice coil out of the gap! And clipping will melt the coil. Avoiding those scenarios should be easy enough?

Russell

Sansiiro
18-03-2019, 15:49
Thanks to all. Avoiding scenarios would be very easy if it were just me pushing the buttons :)
I have a lot of ground to cover here. Currently all of my listening-habits and soft- and hardware are in the process of renewing and rethinking. Phew.
I have entered the realm of caring about T.H.D. and the manufacturers wont make it easy for the customer with their tilted spec-sheets. I will hit that forum again very soon.