PDA

View Full Version : SPOTFIRE speaker cable

Bigman80
07-03-2019, 14:13
Having recovered just enough to do some cabling, I have taken on a couple of orders for speaker cables, which will be completed before I get my thumb cut off and put back on in the right place!

I thought it me be interesting to show you the lengths I go to!

I currently have 20m of very thick cable stretched out and now have to find a nice neat way of cutting it up.

Any suggestions [emoji38]

Only kidding, I have some very useful cutters from my days as a sparky.

Hopefully some more picks when the sheath arrives and it's all suited and booted. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190307/afb3c5e9f493d59dc7cb3830f2fca67e.jpg

STD305M
07-03-2019, 17:37
Hi Oliver,
I'm looking forward to getting the Spotfire Speaker Cable and trying it out, watch you don't slip with the cutters
or you might not need the surgeon to do the cutting :eek:

Steve...

Bigman80
07-03-2019, 17:54
Hi Oliver,
I'm looking forward to getting the Spotfire Speaker Cable and trying it out, watch you don't slip with the cutters
or you might not need the surgeon to do the cutting :eek:

Steve...[emoji23][emoji23] oh man! I am not looking forward to that one bit.

Yes mate, as soon as it gets here I'll get them made up and on the way.

brian2957
07-03-2019, 19:00
[emoji23][emoji23] oh man! I am not looking forward to that one bit.

Yes mate, as soon as it gets here I'll get them made up and on the way.

I wouldn't be looking forward to that either mate :(

Speaker cable looks the biz Oli :)

Bigman80
07-03-2019, 19:58
I wouldn't be looking forward to that either mate :(

Speaker cable looks the biz Oli :)It looks like it might be an endgame speaker cable with the spec. I just hope it sounds as good as I think it will.

It's a B@stard to work with [emoji26]

brian2957
07-03-2019, 20:46
It looks like it might be an endgame speaker cable with the spec. I just hope it sounds as good as I think it will.

It's a B@stard to work with [emoji26]

hah!..they usually are :)

Bigman80
07-03-2019, 20:48
hah!..they usually are :)Oh man. I'm not fully capable of handling the cable as my hand barely works and it weighs a tonne. I've got three sets of these to make [emoji38]

struth
07-03-2019, 20:54
Use your good hand. Will teach u to be ambidextrous Oli.

STD305M
07-03-2019, 21:51
Oh man. I'm not fully capable of handling the cable as my hand barely works and it weighs a tonne. I've got three sets of these to make [emoji38]

Hi Oliver
Work like Alan, iron in one hand and solder between his lips

Bigman80
07-03-2019, 23:51
Use your good hand. Will teach u to be ambidextrous Oli.I am, Grant. My good hand is my right hand and I'm right handed.

It's the lack of grip and thumb power in my left which usually holds the cables. I started soldering left handed, I had to re do it [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Bigman80
07-03-2019, 23:53
Hi Oliver
Work like Alan, iron in one hand and solder between his lipsI could've done with holding the cable in my teeth[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Anyway, my set are finished and I've had a listen. It's been worth the effort. More speaker cable arriving tomorrow for the next pair.

I'll have to see if I'm too sore to do them but as they are only a 1.5m pair I might be ok.

Bigman80
08-03-2019, 08:11
Listening already. Low levels ATM but the difference is very apparent.

Not entirely fair to compare as the Fisual S-FLEX was only £2.50 per meter and still ranks highly for VFM.

This stuff is over 10x the price so I'll be looking to get Jimbo back with his Chord epic twin for a fair fight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/ebebea6e42be9bf1f3917181631ed22a.jpg

Bigman80
09-03-2019, 17:31
Finished!!!

Finally managed to dress the cable as I wanted and do the last little bits of finesse. Taken me far longer than usual for obvious reasons but I'm really happy with the finish.

These SPOTFIRE reference speaker cables will be residing here in my system. There are two pairs of these currently sold so fingers crossed, feedback will be sent in due course.

I'd really love to explain what my impressions of these are but being the maker of them, it's a bit pointless. Well just have to wait for feedback.

If you are wondering what the third black wire is connected to the Krell plate, they are the shield connection. You can have it on or off. Does the shield make a difference? I certainly think so but as usual, it may be different in every system. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190309/6951ea84ec8c1355237fba6e908693dd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190309/07e29378698fa560f90dd182180394a9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190309/7fdd9dc1779a520bf7736b2d90182ed8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190309/1abfa4823a5cad6ffc2691b8c7ece7e6.jpg

brian2957
09-03-2019, 17:43
That's nice work mate , they certainly look like quality speaker cables . I look forward to the feedback on these :)

Bigman80
09-03-2019, 18:21
That's nice work mate , they certainly look like quality speaker cables . I look forward to the feedback on these :)Thanks Brian.

Because of the size of the cable, there isn't all that much available for sensible money for things like fit and finish. I had to get a bit creative with the heat shrink but its turned out good.

Bigman80
14-03-2019, 18:53
First order of SPOTFIRE Reference speaker cables are currently being put together, with another pair on the to do list. A bit Slower than usual but getting there!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190314/6d3db02377f9e1680c9383b1ee80fbe6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190314/135d38298ca46d77d6d23ae38c1ac471.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190314/0d3fa8c1064b3e9d854ffbf878561af5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190314/9d8623cb9bc488fc521f9144969b573e.jpg

brian2957
14-03-2019, 19:50
Very nice mate . Build looks excellent . I look forward to the feedback on your new speaker cables . Good luck with this new venture Oli :)

Jimbo
14-03-2019, 19:54
Looking great Oli and I expect is sounds superb!:cool:

Bigman80
14-03-2019, 19:56
Very nice mate . Build looks excellent . I look forward to the feedback on your new speaker cables . Good luck with this new venture Oli :)Thanks Brian, it's been a while finding a cable suitable but I'm very happy with this stuff.

I am looking forward to the feedback as much as anyone!

Macca
14-03-2019, 20:02
I'm going to be visiting the Bigbottle Audio complex tomorrow for a demo of these. Despite my initial (enormous) scepticism at even trying them, the interconnects really do it for me in my system so I'm keen to see what these speaker cables have to offer.

Bigman80
14-03-2019, 20:02
Looking great Oli and I expect is sounds superb!:cool:Hi Jim,

Thanks and yes, I'm very pleased indeed. Certainly shown me what I've been missing, just wish I'd pushed on when I first decided to investigate speaker cables.

Better late than never.

Bigman80
14-03-2019, 20:16
I'm going to be visiting the Bigbottle Audio complex tomorrow for a demo of these. Despite my initial (enormous) scepticism at even trying them, the interconnects really do it for me in my system so I'm keen to see what these speaker cables have to offer."Bigbottle Audio Complex"

[emoji1787][emoji1787] Quality.

Yes, the sceptical approach was eventually unravelled, which is no mean feat!

The Reference speaker cables build on the foundation of the interconnects and as such follow the same principles for the cable choice. It all add up to a very Interesting set of cables.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Jimbo
14-03-2019, 21:05
I'm going to be visiting the Bigbottle Audio complex tomorrow for a demo of these. Despite my initial (enormous) scepticism at even trying them, the interconnects really do it for me in my system so I'm keen to see what these speaker cables have to offer.

The cables maybe one thing but when you hear the Pi you may well throw your CD player in the bin!:lol:

Bigman80
14-03-2019, 21:13
The cables maybe one thing but when you hear the Pi you may well throw your CD player in the bin!:lol:

It's aking over the responsibility of providing my music mate! Honestly, i never expected to like it so much that i'd go and buy the 1.2 version of the Allo Boss. Ive been watching Hans Beekhuyzen again lol

Jimbo
14-03-2019, 21:27
It's aking over the responsibility of providing my music mate! Honestly, i never expected to like it so much that i'd go and buy the 1.2 version of the Allo Boss. Ive been watching Hans Beekhuyzen again lol

He kinda becomes compulsive viewing :lol: I am sure the BOSS 1.2 will give you another uplift especially as you can power the BOSS DAC separately. Would be interesting to hear what 2 PSU will do?

Firebottle
14-03-2019, 21:38

You are going to be impressed. I heard these earlier in the week and it was :eek:

Bigman80
14-03-2019, 21:46
He kinda becomes compulsive viewing [emoji38] I am sure the BOSS 1.2 will give you another uplift especially as you can power the BOSS DAC separately. Would be interesting to hear what 2 PSU will do?Oh yes,. We can do that experiment!

Bigman80
14-03-2019, 21:48
You are going to be impressed. I heard these earlier in the week and it was :eek:Had you considering how to chisel your existing cable out of the wall didn't it lol

STD305M
14-03-2019, 22:20
Hi Oliver
I'm really looking forward to getting mine
If they're anything like the spotfires I'm gonna be a happy chap....

Next on the list is power cord :lol:
A durabottle cord........

Steve

Bigman80
14-03-2019, 22:22
Hi Oliver
I'm really looking forward to getting mine
If they're anything like the spotfires I'm gonna be a happy chap....

Next on the list is power cord [emoji38]

SteveYours are next in the "To do" list, Steve. I can't rush because the hand can't cope with it.

I'll have them done as soon as I can. They will be worth the wait!

STD305M
15-03-2019, 12:51
No rush Oliver,In your own time mate, was just expressing how much im looking forward to getting them

Regards Steve...

Blackmass
15-03-2019, 14:33

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. The pair Oliver is making at the moment are mine. To say I'm excited is a massive understatement.

Macca
15-03-2019, 17:46
I have heard them and they are good so I'm buying some.

I'm not sure I can go into the details of how they sound until I get them into my own system. Ollies system is pretty similar to mine except for the two main factors - speakers and room. But we tested against another cable which I brought with me and the differences, whilst by no means night and day, did seem enough to justify the expenditure. My overall perception was that they were just letting a bit more through right across the range, if that makes any sense.

And I spotted Ollie's crafty interconnect swap. Not only blind but I didn't even know I was being tested! Not as mutton as I thought I might be.

Blackmass
15-03-2019, 18:02
Thanks for your your feedback Martin. Parting with your cash is the biggest endorsement you can make.

Bigman80
15-03-2019, 18:31
I have heard them and they are good so I'm buying some.

I'm not sure I can go into the details of how they sound until I get them into my own system. Ollies system is pretty similar to mine except for the two main factors - speakers and room. But we tested against another cable which I brought with me and the differences, whilst by no means night and day, did seem enough to justify the expenditure. My overall perception was that they were just letting a bit more through right across the range, if that makes any sense.

And I spotted Ollie's crafty interconnect swap. Not only blind but I didn't even know I was being tested! Not as mutton as I thought I might be.The differences, I believe will become far more apparent once you get them in your system, Macca.

For me, the differences were a little more night and day but I understand that the unfamiliar (to a degree) speakers and room will have made it harder for anyone to easily discern the differences. However, I have had a lot of time being stuck in the house and heard it pretty much instantly.

There was a track we used which really showed the differences and that was:

"Peter Schneider - St James Infirmary"

This track is superbly recorded and was recorded live. With the SPOTFIRE reference cables, the soundstage was very developed. It's deep, wide and most importantly, gave the ambience of the venue. Applause was naturally presented with, "I was there" feel. The vocals are gravelly and there's a few sections where they are belted out. The vocals never pierced of gave any cause to wince. Guitar had great tone and sustain but overall it was just a very natural sound. Not forced or pressured, just natural.

When we put Macca's speaker cable in, that ambience disappeared and with it went the soundstage. The bass was overpowering too. The reason it lost it ambience is, to loosely quote Macca, "it's not letting all the sound through" and that was the rub, Macca's cables weren't transparent enough to allow the ambience and sounstage to be recreated.

Macca and I agreed on this assessment

Everything flattened out and sounded a bit 2D, Macca and I agreed on this too.

IMO it all got a little bit shouty. I also noted a harshness to the guitar which made me squint at one point.

Macca disagreed over this point and laid blame at the speakers for being "uncouth" and suggested he felt it was a bit shouty earlier on when listening to "Earth Wing & Fire - September" with the SPOTFIRE.

We played "E,W&F - September" via Macca's cables and my feelings were that it was tonally thin and lacking in energy. It was almost too smoothed over and the dynamics of the track were a bit....flat.

Macca and I kind of agreed but I think we were trying to say the same thing with different words.

Personally, I think the main issue was the track itself. Whilst the cables demonstrated a noticeable tonal difference and contrasting soundstaging ability, the track sounded lean to me with both cables. I have since listened to it on headphones and it has the same characteristics. Personally, I think it's a poorly mixed album and put that down to the version of the album I have.

We listened to Steely Dan, which, with the SPOTFIRE reference cables had a really joyful sound, full of bounce and vigour bit again when Macca's went in, it lost it and the bass seemed a little OTT again.

We listened to a lot of diverse music groups and for me the biggest endorsement of any piece of kit is when it goes in, and stays in. The SPOTFIRE reference speaker cables went back in, and stayed in.

Macca
15-03-2019, 19:11
Yes pretty much agree with all that. But having had a couple of sessions now with your Pioneer speakers I'm sticking with 'uncouth' :D

Bigman80
15-03-2019, 20:09
Yes pretty much agree with all that. But having had a couple of sessions now with your Pioneer speakers I'm sticking with 'uncouth' :D

.Lol, fair enough. I am sure that when some speakers of a specified quality arrive here, I will agree but until then.......

Bigman80
29-03-2019, 12:12
Another set on the way out of the door for STD305M (Steve)

Still waiting for the materials to make the other orders. I'll be in touch!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190329/5eea6a37df71ddf5b56bdbad96c8d148.jpg

Macca
29-03-2019, 13:17
But I want mine now!

YNWaN
29-03-2019, 16:01
What is the situation with the earth wire? Presumably this is attached to a chassis screw on the power amp?

Bigman80
29-03-2019, 16:08
But I want mine now!Mate, I'm gonna email them on Monday and see what's going on. They said they would have it out to me by today and I haven't got any email confirmation, which they always send out.

Sorry [emoji26]

antonio
29-03-2019, 16:09
Those speaker cables look rather fetching, and you Macca have gotta wait. :lol:

Bigman80
29-03-2019, 16:09
What is the situation with the earth wire? Presumably this is attached to a chassis screw on the power amp?Yes. Its optional and entirely subjective as to whether it makes any difference BUT it is connected in my system and I noticed when it wasn't but can't exactly describe why. I know, mad! But true.

Macca
29-03-2019, 16:10
Mate, I'm gonna email them on Monday and see what's going on. They said they would have it out to me by today and I haven't got any email confirmation, which they always send out.

Sorry [emoji26]

I'm only messing about, there's no hurry.

Bigman80
29-03-2019, 16:11
Those speaker cables look rather fetching, and you Macca have gotta wait. [emoji38]Thanks, Antonio.

They are the result of weeks and weeks of searching for the right materials, and testing samples.

I am very pleased with them.

Bigman80
29-03-2019, 16:11
I'm only messing about, there's no hurry.I know, but I hate waiting too. I have to keep remembering that they are on my to do list.

That and multiple other cable related things!

Macca
29-03-2019, 16:14
Those speaker cables look rather fetching, and you Macca have gotta wait. :lol:

You can't really see in the picture but they are thicker than a baby's arm.

Really heavy equipment connected by really thick cables - that's a sure-fire recipe for hi-fi success.

Marco
29-03-2019, 16:28
Ollie, please respond here ASAP: https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?63542-Old-listings&p=1074232#post1074232

Cheers!:cool:

Marco.

YNWaN
30-03-2019, 16:51
Is there an actual shield surrounding the cable then Oliver - a braid or a surrounding twisted wire?

Bigman80
30-03-2019, 16:59
Is there an actual shield surrounding the cable then Oliver - a braid or a surrounding twisted wire?Yes, there is a shield.

The cables intended use wasn't for audio but I have repurposed it for use as a speaker cable.

I may seem to be playing my cards close to my chest. That's because I am [emoji6]

Bigman80
30-03-2019, 17:02
You can't really see in the picture but they are thicker than a baby's arm.

Really heavy equipment connected by really thick cables - that's a sure-fire recipe for hi-fi success.Haha, yes indeed they are VERY chunky and not entirely flexible.

My latest Victim, Ahem! Customer said, "I could loan these to the National Grid if they need some cable [emoji23]"

Seriously though, it's a very chunky cable and does require a bit of room behind the amp to allow for the cable to fit. I'd recommend spades if your amp will take them. The angle will be better on the connection and terminal of the amp.

YNWaN
30-03-2019, 17:06
Hmm.... there is an inductive impact of having a screen present, even it is left disconnected. Interesting though - some Chord speaker cables include screens and they are not the only company - though it is not common with speaker cables.

Bigman80
30-03-2019, 17:23
Hmm.... there is an inductive impact of having a screen present, even it is left disconnected. Interesting though - some Chord speaker cables include screens and they are not the only company - though it is not common with speaker cables.No, I agree. The reason I plumped for this specific cable was that experiments were done with Chord Rumour, Epic Twin, Oddysey and MANY others.

The ones I prefered were of similar construction. I researched their construction and spoke to one of the biggest dealers in the UK for Chord about the design principles around the Epic Twin and Chord's "Phase stable" (according to Chord) speaker cables.

Ultimately I had an idea what I wanted to do and here they are.

YNWaN
30-03-2019, 17:38
Genuinely, very interesting - good for you. They do look excellent by the way :).

For those not aware, I have it from very good authority from those ‘in the know’ (I still have friends in the business) that many, if not all, of Chords cables are repurposed cables originally developed for non-audio use so Oliver is not taking an easy, or DIY, route in building these cables.

Bigman80
30-03-2019, 17:43
Genuinely, very interesting - good for you. They do look excellent by the way :).Thanks, Mark!

YNWaN
30-03-2019, 17:48
I hope you get a set of the Spotfire I can try - I’m really very interested....

Bigman80
30-03-2019, 17:53
I hope you get a set of the Spotwire I can try - Iím really very interested....I will have a think on it. Maybe if a loan list was to run again, I could do that, but having one pair sitting here costing me £8 every time I send them out, which this month would have been £32, doesn't sound good for me [emoji23]

I don't want to put prices up to cover the loan either. I'll have a think.

The Chronicals
30-03-2019, 19:37
I will have a think on it. Maybe if a loan list was to run again, I could do that, but having one pair sitting here costing me £8 every time I send them out, which this month would have been £32, doesn't sound good for me [emoji23]

I don't want to put prices up to cover the loan either. I'll have a think.

Just have the loaner pay for the postage there and back, I'd be more than happy to do that to try out new cables before purchase.

I currently use Chord Epic Super Twin...so I'm definitely curious :)

Bigman80
30-03-2019, 20:17
Just have the loaner pay for the postage there and back, I'd be more than happy to do that to try out new cables before purchase.

I currently use Chord Epic Super Twin...so I'm definitely curious :)Well, that's definitely an option for the Interconnect as RMND is about £8.

The SPOTFIRE Speaker cables cost £20 to send to Northampton, so I'm not sure that's gonna work (8m in total)

Also, the Speaker cables can't really be a universal size for loan. Most People can accommodate a 1m Interconnect for evaluation but I need 3.5m of speaker cable. I couldn't loan a 1.5m pair because I couldn't get them to the amp/speakers

Jimbo has heard the Chord Epic Twin and The SPOTFIRE Speaker cables. Both in my system. I'm sure he'd let you know what he thinks of the SPOTFIRE.

Jimbo
30-03-2019, 20:30
Well, that's definitely an option for the Interconnect as RMND is about £8.

The SPOTFIRE Speaker cables cost £20 to send to Northampton, so I'm not sure that's gonna work (8m in total)

Also, the Speaker cables can't really be a universal size for loan. Most People can accommodate a 1m Interconnect for evaluation but I need 3.5m of speaker cable. I couldn't loan a 1.5m pair because I couldn't get them to the amp/speakers

Jimbo has heard the Chord Epic Twin and The SPOTFIRE Speaker cables. Both in my system. I'm sure he'd let you know what he thinks of the SPOTFIRE.

Swapping either the Chord Epic Twin or SPOTFIRE speaker cable in Oli's was not a subtle difference compared to the cable Oliver had been using. Just about every aspect of the sound improved.

I have a feeling the SPOTFIRE maybe even better than the Chord Epic Twin but I need to evaluate this in my own system which will happen sometime soon I hope.

I would go as far to say I think the SPOTFIRE speaker cable is as significant in its improvement in SQ as the SPOTFIRE IC in Oliver's system.

So if you have heard the SPOTFIRE IC and were impressed then expect the same from the speaker cable. It will make you think differently about speaker cable and its role in your system which is often an area that is neglected.;)

Bigman80
30-03-2019, 20:33
Swapping either the Chord Epic Twin or SPOTFIRE speaker cable in Oli's was not a subtle difference compared to the cable Oliver had been using. Just about every aspect of the sound improved.

I have a feeling the SPOTFIRE maybe even better than the Chord Epic Twin but I need to evaluate this in my own system which will happen sometime soon I hope.

I would go as far to say I think the SPOTFIRE speaker cable is as significant in its improvement in SQ as the SPOTFIRE IC in Oliver's system.

So if you have heard the SPOTFIRE IC and were impressed then expect the same from the speaker cable. It will make you think differently about speaker cable and its role in your system which is often an area that is neglected.;)I'm gonna have to get over and infiltrate the Croft!

I warn you though, Jim. I'm taking the speaker cables home with me lol

Jimbo
30-03-2019, 20:45
I'm gonna have to get over and infiltrate the Croft!

I warn you though, Jim. I'm taking the speaker cables home with me lol

:lol:

Jimbo
30-03-2019, 20:48
Be warned anyone using the SPOTFIRE speaker cable it is very substantial, baby's arm is a good description.

When I saw it at Oliver's I thought 'Industrial'but there again it was connected to an Industrial amp!:lol:

Bigman80
30-03-2019, 21:10
Be warned anyone using the SPOTFIRE speaker cable it is very substantial, baby's arm is a good description.

When I saw it at Oliver's I thought 'Industrial'but there again it was connected to an Industrial amp![emoji38][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Its not that bad. Just under 20mm when made up.

It is slightly rigid TBF

The Chronicals
30-03-2019, 23:37
Well, that's definitely an option for the Interconnect as RMND is about £8.

I dunno, if someone was keen to try something before purchase, paying the shipping dosent seem all that offensive, but yes I can see your point regarding the lengths, difficult one. Id probably just say have a 2.5m loan pair, and if anyone wants to try them and they are too short, they can just move the amp for that trial. Just an idea anyway.

The Chronicals
30-03-2019, 23:39

So if you have heard the SPOTFIRE IC and were impressed then expect the same from the speaker cable. It will make you think differently about speaker cable and its role in your system which is often an area that is neglected.;)

I use the Chord Epic SUPER Twin, not the standard Twin, I didnt like the standard one, it to me was very empty sounding, almost nasly in places. The Super Twin was a huge increase in everything, but also more natural and with a bigger bass heft and detail. I've had it for a while now, but am demoing some DCT Mogami 3104 soon as just had an itch to scratch with it!

Bigman80
31-03-2019, 00:21
I dunno, if someone was keen to try something before purchase, paying the shipping dosent seem all that offensive, but yes I can see your point regarding the lengths, difficult one. Id probably just say have a 2.5m loan pair, and if anyone wants to try them and they are too short, they can just move the amp for that trial. Just an idea anyway.I know loans are really useful for everyone to try before they buy, but a loan pair of 1m SPOTFIRE ic's and a 2.5m pair of SPOTFIRE speaker cables would put me in at least £450.

Its not something I can do at the minute and am reluctant to again. I did nearly 12 months of continuous management of the original loan scheme. Lots of people tried, and bought them. I feel there is enough feedback available on the interconnect cables from users and loanees to give a good description of their performance.

The reviews will come soon enough for the speaker cable too. There are four sets in existence, another set going to Jims for evaluation, and I believe will leave his opinion and Macca has a set in the pipeline.

Just takes a bit of time.

Anyone is welcome to bring their speaker cable here and try them against mine. I'll happily facilitate that.

Jimbo
31-03-2019, 07:27
I use the Chord Epic SUPER Twin, not the standard Twin, I didnt like the standard one, it to me was very empty sounding, almost nasly in places. The Super Twin was a huge increase in everything, but also more natural and with a bigger bass heft and detail. I've had it for a while now, but am demoing some DCT Mogami 3104 soon as just had an itch to scratch with it!

Chords cables are constantly evolving as they change plugs, dielectric, core etc etc so my very early Epic Twin may not have been the same cable as the Epic Twin you heard. In my system it sounds superb however I have not tried the SUPER or indeed MUSIC! However I have heard all the Chord speaker cables at great length over the years in other systems and I am quite happy to stay with the Epic Twin as it works well.Indeed we tried it in Oliver's system and it sounded rather good there too.:)

It will be interesting to hear the SPOTFIRE speaker cable in my own system which I hope to do shortly but as we all know ALL cables are system dependent and can produce very different results in different set ups. Having said that the SPOTFIRE RCA IC has been acknowledged as a significantly good sounding IC in many systems including my own and as a result a fair few people have bought this cable.

I agree with Oliver that financially it is a big ask to build and send out on demo a pair of the SPOTFIRE speaker cables and I can understand why he maybe reluctant to do this at the present time. As has been alluded too they are heafty and quite expensive for 2 x 4 metre pair but I am sure Oliver will have a think about it. Maybe a shorter pair might be the answer?

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 07:32
I know loans are really useful for everyone to try before they buy, but a loan pair of 1m SPOTFIRE ic's and a 2.5m pair of SPOTFIRE speaker cables would put me in at least £450.

Its not something I can do at the minute and am reluctant to again. I did nearly 12 months of continuous management of the original loan scheme. Lots of people tried, and bought them. I feel there is enough feedback available on the interconnect cables from users and loanees to give a good description of their performance.

The reviews will come soon enough for the speaker cable too. There are four sets in existence, another set going to Jims for evaluation, and I believe will leave his opinion and Macca has a set in the pipeline.

Just takes a bit of time.

Anyone is welcome to bring their speaker cable here and try them against mine. I'll happily facilitate that.

For me, I wouldn't ever buy blind especially when it comes to cable, but there will be others who don't mind that.

Although theoretically, under CC Regs, anyone can return a item for a refund within fourteen days, so essentially there is a 'try' scheme, I just thought maybe having a standard 'loaner' set that punters would pay for shipping to trial would stop say too many returns for folks that did not like them in their system and ending up with multiples of used cables.

Anyhow, just my tuppence worth, good luck with the venture!

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 07:37
Chords cables are constantly evolving as they change plugs, dielectric, core etc etc so my very early Epic Twin may not have been the same cable as the Epic Twin you heard. In my system it sounds superb however I have not tried the SUPER or indeed MUSIC! However I have heard all the Chord speaker cables at great length over the years in other systems and I am quite happy to stay with the Epic Twin as it works well.Indeed we tried it in Oliver's system and it sounded rather good there too.:)

It will be interesting to hear the SPOTFIRE speaker cable in my own system which I hope to do shortly but as we all know ALL cables are system dependent and can produce very different results in different set ups. Having said that the SPOTFIRE RCA IC has been acknowledged as a significantly good sounding IC in many systems including my own and as a result a fair few people have bought this cable.

I agree with Oliver that financially it is a big ask to build and send out on demo a pair of the SPOTFIRE speaker cables and I can understand why he maybe reluctant to do this at the present time. As has been alluded too they are heafty and quite expensive for 2 x 4 metre pair but I am sure Oliver will have a think about it. Maybe a shorter pair might be the answer?

The Epic Twin is by far a good cable and does sound very good, but it wasnt the whole picture for me (as you are finding yourself with these Spotfire ones being an improvement over them), but in comparison to the Super Twin, it's very far away. The Super fills in all those caveats of the standard.

But as you have said, cables will all sound different in different systems - I agree, and it was partly my point about having a loaner set. I love a bit of cable, and if I found these Spotfire ones where better than what I have, I would have gladly jumped in for a set, but not something I'd do without a trial (although CCR does mean I can trial them but it's just hassle that way).

Bigman80
31-03-2019, 07:47
For me, I wouldn't ever buy blind especially when it comes to cable, but there will be others who don't mind that.

Although theoretically, under CC Regs, anyone can return a item for a refund within fourteen days, so essentially there is a 'try' scheme, I just thought maybe having a standard 'loaner' set that punters would pay for shipping to trial would stop say too many returns for folks that did not like them in their system and ending up with multiples of used cables.

Anyhow, just my tuppence worth, good luck with the venture!Yup, buying blind is not for everyone but sometimes you just have to take a punt!

I've bought blind loads of times and my experience of the hobby is all the better for it. Also had some lovely surprises, Basically my entire system was bought blind lol

Of course, if someone was totally disappointed with the cable (hasnt happened yet!) I'd do what I could to help them.

Bigman80
31-03-2019, 08:16

I agree with Oliver that financially it is a big ask to build and send out on demo a pair of the SPOTFIRE speaker cables and I can understand why he maybe reluctant to do this at the present time. As has been alluded too they are heafty and quite expensive for 2 x 4 metre pair but I am sure Oliver will have a think about it. Maybe a shorter pair might be the answer?I did consider it Jim, but I have ask, what other manufacturer/one-man band offers loans? I cant think of any.

Yes, some offer a 30day return scheme and that's a good way to go about it BUT let's not forget. I do this as a hobby and am only "Trade" because it was required or I couldn't continue selling the cables here.

The SPOTFIRE cables, Tonearm cables and speaker cables were built and designed to offer forum members a cable, of high quality, for extremely reasonable price.

If I don't sell any, that's ok. It means I don't have to sit in the garage, freezing my spuds off, making cables lol.

Its a hobby for me. The Trade status was required of me. I'm not in it for the money.

Jimbo
31-03-2019, 08:33
I agree with what you have stated Oli, after all you are a hobbyist and not Trade / Business, if you were and had to cover all the costs of marketing, manufacturing etc you would not be selling them at the exceptionally reasonable price that you are currently.

They are certainly not Nordost or Chord prices but from what I have heard they are up there with the best at a fraction of the cost.:)

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 08:36
I did consider it Jim, but I have ask, what other manufacturer/one-man band offers loans? I cant think of any.

Yes, some offer a 30day return scheme and that's a good way to go about it BUT let's not forget. I do this as a hobby and am only "Trade" because it was required or I couldn't continue selling the cables here.

The SPOTFIRE cables, Tonearm cables and speaker cables were built and designed to offer forum members a cable, of high quality, for extremely reasonable price.

If I don't sell any, that's ok. It means I don't have to sit in the garage, freezing my spuds off, making cables lol.

Its a hobby for me. The Trade status was required of me. I'm not in it for the money.

Sadly 'hobby' selling was outlawed by the HMRC a while back, no matter what ones ethics around making high quality products for affordable prices are. Theoretically, if you buy to sell or manufacturer to sell, its a real bonfide business no matter if you are one man in his garage making a £1 on each set or a huge warehouse with thousands of staff making hundreds, so Consumer Contract Regulations 2015 cover any purchases from said business.

You don't need to offer a 30 day returns, just 14 days is required by law. So all one man bands do offer returns as its the law, it's one of those annoying things you have to take on board when selling things. That includes the old dear on eBay selling wool from her single garden sheep (yes thats a real person :))

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 08:39
I agree with what you have stated Oli, after all you are a hobbyist and not Trade / Business, if you were and had to cover all the costs of marketing, manufacturing etc you would not be selling them at the exceptionally reasonable price that you are currently.

That is NOT a thing when selling the hobbies fruits..

https://www.cheapaccounting.co.uk/blog/index.php/when-does-my-hobby-become-a-business-2/

https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself

Jimbo
31-03-2019, 08:40
Sadly 'hobby' selling was outlawed by the HMRC a while back, no matter what ones ethics around making high quality products for affordable prices are. Theoretically, if you buy to sell or manufacturer to sell, its a real bonfide business no matter if you are one man in his garage making a £1 on each set or a huge warehouse with thousands of staff making hundreds, so Consumer Contract Regulations 2015 cover any purchases from said business.

You don't need to offer a 30 day returns, just 14 days is required by law. So all one man bands do offer returns as its the law, it's one of those annoying things you have to take on board when selling things. That includes the old dear on eBay selling wool from her single garden sheep (yes thats a real person :))

Does that include all the folks on eBay selling?

karma67
31-03-2019, 08:43
i would say so yes,going by and ebay pay-pal rules.

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 08:44
Does that include all the folks on eBay selling?

Yes it does as long as they are registered as a business seller on eBay (i.e the law).

Some business's try to illegally operate under private accounts where ebay does not enforce mandatory returns, but eBay will often force them to convert to a business account when its clear they are selling and acquiring as a business.

Although eBay does force 30 day returns in some categories when the law is only 14 days.

Bigman80
31-03-2019, 08:48

You don't need to offer a 30 day returns, just 14 days is required by law. So all one man bands do offer returns as its the law, it's one of those annoying things you have to take on board when selling things. That includes the old dear on eBay selling wool from her single garden sheep (yes thats a real person :))I wasn't aware of that!

Like I said, being a hobbiest, which isn't really a thing, i never Intended to be a Trade.

If it becomes a PITA, I'll just knock it on the head to be honest. Defeats the object of a loan pair though doesn't it.

You might loan a pair, think you like them, buy a pair but then decide you want the money for something else and return them in 14 days.

Then I'd be stuck with two pairs of cables.

That's sorted that out for me. No loan pairs.

Jimbo
31-03-2019, 08:52
That is NOT a thing when selling the hobbies fruits..

https://www.cheapaccounting.co.uk/blog/index.php/when-does-my-hobby-become-a-business-2/

https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself

Interesting and enlightening, thanks for that information. I was not aware of this but it may have implications for everyone selling on this site?

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 08:55
I wasn't aware of that!

Like I said, being a hobbiest, which isn't really a thing, i never Intended to be a Trade.

If it becomes a PITA, I'll just knock it on the head to be honest. Defeats the object of a loan pair though doesn't it.

You might loan a pair, think you like them, buy a pair but then decide you want the money for something else and return them in 14 days.

Yep its annoying, but it happens, and thats the caveats of selling things and using the internet to advertise. Distance Selling so to speak.

This was why I was advising having a loan set, rather than making new cables for every sale that could potentially all be returned. So instead of having say five sales, and four returns, you'd only have one sale and no returns, as the people where able to try them beforehand.

Granted you cant stop people returning them within fourteen days, for reasons like you say, because they needed the money etc, but thats the CCR regs, they can be unfair to the business at times, but they where developed to protect the buyer, but the law is the law.

You can 'evade' this somewhat by not distance selling, and only selling in 'store' , i,e your house. The law is more relaxed on in store purchases than it is Distance Sold. You still have to have a returns policy for faulty goods, but you don't need to offer 'unwanted item or didn't like it' returns. This is why most savvy people buy over the phone or internet when wanting to trial products, as you have more far rights that way. I personally always try to get a demo unit of something before ordering a brand new boxed on to try and save the retailer the costs of reselling open box if it goes back.

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 08:56
Interesting and enlightening, thanks for that information. I was not aware of this but it may have implications for everyone selling on this site?

Only folks buying to sell or manufacturing to sell. So the majority of personal sellers, no it won't, anyone in the trade section, or selling multiples of the same items in the private section, yes. The law is the law.

brian2957
31-03-2019, 09:27
I wasn't aware of that!

Yup , I was at the wrong end of this once , guy compared the Klotz MC5000s against a £400 set of interconnects and decided his were better and decided to return mine :steam:

I had to sell these interconnects as used , so it does happen :rolleyes:

Macca
31-03-2019, 09:32
The law does make an exception to the 14 day return if the item was bespoke or a custom build.

Bigman80
31-03-2019, 09:38
The law does make an exception to the 14 day return if the item was bespoke or a custom build.Ha! All cables I make are bespoke. Job done.

Macca
31-03-2019, 09:38
Ha! All cables I make are bespoke. Job done.

That would be for the Courts to decide :)

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 09:41
The law does make an exception to the 14 day return if the item was bespoke or a custom build.

This is very true.

The term bespoke is very open to interpretation though, generally it means 'outside of standard manufactured items' or words to that effect, so if you wanted your name inscribed on something, that becomes bespoke. It would be interesting to see how it would work for lengths of cable though because 'handmade' and 'custom made' do fall into different areas, a 2m cable is not unique, but a 2m cable in bright pink glued on braid with Cheryl stamped on them would be.

I think you'd have to make out an invoice with the specific details of why something is custom made, and have those t'cs' published before sale to hold weight in the event of a return situation.

I'd be interested to hear anyones advanced knowledge in this area though.

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 09:42
That would be for the Courts to decide :)

Yes exactly, I personally don't think a 2m set of cables would be as I mentioned above, unless you have OJ's legal team.

struth
31-03-2019, 09:46
Guess if you say you do them in 2 metre lengths but can custom build to any length you ask for then they become custom cables

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 09:52
Guess if you say you do them in 2 metre lengths but can custom build to any length you ask for then they become custom cables

Yes I imagine if you make it that the most common size is available as standard, say 2m (industry standard), then anything outside of that would be custom. But because each cable is theoretically custom made, I am not surely this would wash with a judge. But i feel it does show good intent by offering the standard size as a 'retail' option, so would maybe go some way in the event of a claim.

Obviously though the company would need to be registered with the Companies House or HMRC in this eventuality as you'd definitely lose if it wasn't.

Macca
31-03-2019, 09:55
The example given is usually something like curtains. If you order a set of curtains made to measure for your windows you can't send them back because the manufacturer is going to struggle to find someone else to sell them to who wants exactly that same length.

Seems to me this could also apply to speaker cable and interconnects where the buyer has specified a length. Can't seem to find anything about any test cases though.

Macca
31-03-2019, 09:58
Obviously though the company would need to be registered with the Companies House and HMRC in this eventuality as you'd definitely lose if it wasn't.

Why would that make any difference? A trader is still a trader regardless of whether he is an LLC, PLC, LLP or none of those things.

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 09:59
The example given is usually something like curtains. If you order a set of curtains made to measure for your windows you can't send them back because the manufacturer is going to struggle to find someone else to sell them to who wants exactly that same length.

Seems to me this could also apply to speaker cable and interconnects where the buyer has specified a length. Can't seem to find anything about any test cases though.

Possibly, although with each window being different, a set of curtains would be an exact measurement which would be very specific, a 2m or 3m set of cables with standard oplugs wouldnt. Although a set of 3.257mm cables with XYX Gold plated supersonic platinum enriched banana plugs would.

Definitely a grey area it would seem, which there are many in CCR regs.

I don't think you'll find any test cases as most companies just offer returns now, which was the point of the regulations,just to bring it all inline.

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 10:00
Why would that make any difference? A trader is still a trader regardless of whether he is an LLC, PLC, LLP or none of those things.

Yes, your point? A trader would need to be registered as any of those, or sole trader etc, I agree?

Why would it make a difference? Walking into a judge and saying you are a business that isnt registered with the HMRC in any shape or form while trying to argue Consumer Contract Regulations isnt going to be sensible is it?

mikmas
31-03-2019, 10:02

Worth stressing that the tax man can also get quite nasty when it comes to 'grey areas' like this.

Many years ago (and not in the UK - long story) I had a very unpleasant experience where I got hammered for income tax and VAT for selling stuff I made, essentially as a hobby.
There was no profit involved so in the end I was only held liable for VAT over the goods sold during the tax year in question.

The only way I survived was getting good advice from an accountant friend who helped me sort out the books.
Fortunately I had kept copies of material receipts and also logged bits and bobs I sold, otherwise I would have been in a right pickle.
Needless to say, I knocked it on the head .... simply not worth the aggro.

I am still even wary of selling stuff on ebay - it's a fooking minefield nowadays :eek:

Macca
31-03-2019, 10:08
I don't know. Seems to me that if you have a customer who is taking you to Court because they claim you are refusing their consumer rights then you are trading as a business whether or not you are paying tax on your profits. The fact that you have a customer is proof of that.

If you are self employed you don't need to register with HMRC, you either declare your income and pay tax (if liable) or you don't and hope they don't notice. You only register for VAT and you only have to do that if turning over £85K or more. Del Boy flogging tat out of a suitcase down the market is still a business and is subject to Law regardless of whether he admits it or not.

karma67
31-03-2019, 10:11
HMRC! those 4 letters scare the sh*t out of me :eek:

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 10:11
I don't know. Seems to me that if you have a customer who is taking you to Court because they claim you are refusing their consumer rights then you are trading as a business whether or not you are paying tax on your profits. The fact that you have a customer is proof of that.

If you are self employed you don't need to register with HMRC, you either declare your income and pay tax (if liable) or you don't and hope they don't notice. You only register for VAT and you only have to do that if turning over £85K or more. Del Boy flogging tat out of a suitcase down the market is still a business and is subject to Law regardless of whether he admits it or not.

All self employed people have to register with HMRC, its how you do your end of year tax return. I have no idea what you are talking about to be honest. You seem to be arguing your own statements!

If you're not registered and manufacturing products to sell, a Judge isnt going to find you a reputable person are they?

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 10:16
HMRC! those 4 letters scare the sh*t out of me :eek:

lol, aint that the truth!

Macca
31-03-2019, 10:17
All self employed people have to register with HMRC, its how you do your end of year tax return. I have no idea what you are talking about to be honest. You seem to be arguing your own statements!

All self employed people are supposed to declare their income to HMRC for tax assesement, not the same thing as registering for VAT or being registered as a Limited Company. A lot don't. HMRC are well aware that there are loads of people making a living from flogging tat on eBay etc and not declaring it but they can't go after all of them, they don't have the resources.

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 10:20
All self employed people are supposed to declare their income to HMRC for tax assesement, not the same thing as registering for VAT or being registered as a Limited Company. A lot don't. HMRC are well aware that there are loads of people making a living from flogging tat on eBay and not declaring it but they can't go after all of them, they don't have the resources.

Yes, I didnt mention registering for VAT? I said and/or. I thin you've misread or i've mistyped.

HMRC have actually began to tackle eBay sellers with the new voluntary agreement with online platforms, meaning anyone approaching VAT levels of sales get automatically blocked by the platform which wont be unlocked till a VAT number is added.

However eBay have taken this with complete misunderstanding and have started blocking sellers no where near the VAT threshold,so its been causing mayhem.

Macca
31-03-2019, 10:23
My point is even if HMRC have never heard of you, if you are operating as a business then you are operating as a business and the law applies to you and to your customers just the same as far as the Court is concerned. So not being registered or not paying tax won't make a blind bit of difference to the Court's decision.

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 10:25
My point is even if HMRC have never heard of you, if you are operating as a business then you are operating as a business and the law applies to you and to your customers just the same as far as the Court is concerned. So not being registered or not paying tax won't make a blind bit of difference to the Court's decision.

You dont think? Course it will, it will show you where evading taxes, means you instantly become less credible.

Macca
31-03-2019, 10:41
You dont think? Course it will, it will show you where evading taxes, means you instantly become less credible.

You might have only just started and so not filed a tax return yet. Regardless just because you are evading taxes doesn't mean you are not a business as far as the law goes.

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 10:45
You might have only just started and so not filed a tax return yet. Regardless just because you are evading taxes doesn't mean you are not a business as far as the law goes.

You have to register immediately.

Seriously, I have absolutely no idea what you are going on about, It has to be some of the most confusing statements/arguments I've ever read. Of course a person is a business even if they are evading taxes, thats not rocket science, Amazon do it on a daily basis, the point is, ensuring you are registered means you become somewhat more credible in a court if you are arguing consumer law with a customer/magistrate.

So lets just say 'ok, we get it' and move on as I don't think you are going to rest till you keep repeating the same thing.

BigBottle is a business (not a hobby), and requires to register with the HMRC as a sole trader or limited company and must adhere to Consumer law when offering services or products for sale.

Bigman80
31-03-2019, 11:29
Well, according to HMRC I don't need to register. Such is the beauty of my business model ([emoji1787]) I'm not even close enough in terms earnings for the tax year. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190331/179610c930d383c6f06f342beaa62fd0.jpg

struth
31-03-2019, 11:35
Yup you need to make a certain amout before it becomes taxable. Worth checking tho as a nasty bill and fine can really screw you

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 11:41
I think it means what you have taken in actual money, not just the profit, I may be wrong in terms of Sole Trader and then theres you other employment, if you have another job, which would essentially put in the higher tax bracket and then rebated come tax time. It was brutal for me for a while working full time and also having freelance contracts.

Macca
31-03-2019, 11:43
Y
Seriously, I have absolutely no idea what you are going on about, It has to be some of the most confusing statements/arguments I've ever read. Of course a person is a business even if they are evading taxes, thats not rocket science, Amazon do it on a daily basis, the point is, ensuring you are registered means you become somewhat more credible in a court if you are arguing consumer law with a customer/magistrate.

Amazon et al avoid taxes they don't evade them. There's a massive difference between the two i.e the difference between breaking the law and going to prison and behaving entirely legally.

Sorry you were confused by the point I was making, the point I was making was that the statement you have written above (in bold), and which you stated also in your previous post which I replied to, is complete bollocks. Hopefully my previous comments now make more sense in context.

The Chronicals
31-03-2019, 11:48
Sorry you were confused by the point I was making, the point I was making was that the statement you have written above (in bold), and which you stated also in your previous post which I replied to, is complete bollocks. Hopefully my previous comments now make more sense in context.

Its not complete bollocks at all, not in the slightest, and please watch your language on a family friendly forum, that is unpleasant to read.

Anyhow, agree to disagree.

Bigman80
31-03-2019, 11:50
I think it means what you have taken in actual money, not just the profit, I may be wrong in terms of Sole Trader and then theres you other employment, if you have another job, which would essentially put in the higher tax bracket and then rebated come tax time. It was brutal for me for a while working full time and also having freelance contracts.Its still under. Just. No sales will be made in the next week, deliberately, so that'll end the Tax year nicely.

Same again next year.

I'll investigate the ins and outs of it.

Macca
31-03-2019, 12:03
Its not complete bollocks at all, not in the slightest, and please watch your language on a family friendly forum, that is unpleasant to read.

Anyhow, agree to disagree.

I'm fine to agree to disagree but many years experience in taking several dozen companies and individuals to Court is what convinces me I'm correct.

Actually it is okay to swear on this site, we don't make any claims to be 'family friendly'. Nevertheless I do apologise for being overly direct.

walpurgis
31-03-2019, 13:08
I didn't know I could swear on this site. Thats wonderful news :)

I was going to say 'it's fucking amazing', but unfortunately my natural restraint precludes that.

YNWaN
31-03-2019, 17:56
Indeed.

walpurgis
31-03-2019, 18:00
Can members please stick to enquiries about and discussion of Oliver's cables. The thread has been getting pretty off-topic. Thanks.

Marco
01-04-2019, 12:34
Can members please stick to enquiries about and discussion of Oliver's cables. The thread has been getting pretty off-topic. Thanks.

Indeed, and moreover, remember that this is someone's trade thread, where the purpose is for a trader to sell their wares without anyone spoiling that or being negative, same as applies on private sales threads.

Therefore. as per the rules, no further thread-crapping will be allowed [indeed the last examples of that have been removed], and anyone guilty of this from now on will be banned in accordance with the rules, clearly outlined at the top of this section of the forum!

So, let's now return to discussing Oliver's cables, nothing else. Cheers.

Marco.

Marco
03-04-2019, 17:33
Just a reminder to everyone of the rules for this part of the forum :https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?13935-***-WARNING-everyone-PLEASE-READ!!!-***

Please comply with them accordingly.

Marco.

STD305M
06-04-2019, 20:52
Hi All,

I recently bought myself a pair of Oliver's New Speaker cables and thought I would post my thoughts.

Setup was the new Project 2xperience SB DC fitted with At33ptg through a Pure Sound T10 sut into P10 phono stage

DCB1 turbo preamp into a Pair of Firebottle Monos

Speakers were Spendor S6e floor standers

All cables for the review were Spotfire RCA and Spotfire Speaker Cables.

Albums were Pink Floyd - The division Bell,

Yello - Toy

Queen - Re Mastered Greatest Hits.

Ill keep this short, I hate waffle. I've used many cables from cheap Qed 79 Strand through to Chord Silver Spiral with many others in between and noticed a little change in how the sound was
presented, liking some and hating others, the best to date in my system had been Tellurium so stuck with that for the past year or so.
Yesterday I finally had the chance to hook up the Spotfire ( massive cables by any standard ) and oh my god what a revelation. These cables Slaughter anything I have used before, the have the biggest widest deepest soundstage ive ever heard, you can pinpoint every instrument and voices hover right in front of you almost as if you could close your eyes, reach out and touch the artist...
treble is well extended without being over bearing bass is tight and very low but its the mids that impressed me the most, absolutely no grain full of air and plenty of space around the vocalist.
I think Oliver has done the same with this speaker cable as he did with the interconnects. Full blooded hard hitting and very musical cable with the best sound stage I've heard at any price.. I would gladly pay double what I paid and still think Id got a bargain.

My only criticism would be how stiff the cable is and you need plenty room behind your equipment rack to use this cable but, if you have the room boy are you in for a treat
Regards Steve
Well Done Oliver -- nice one mate, top notch cable:cool:

http://i63.tinypic.com/1177mlx.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/33c5281.jpg

Bigman80
06-04-2019, 20:56
Thanks Steve!!

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Blackmass
10-04-2019, 10:57
Iíve had my Spotfire speaker cables for three weeks now. The first official pair of ĎReference Spotfireí speaker cables (plus matching jumper cables) I believe? The first thing which strikes you is how thick and substantial looking they are. The next thing is the build quality. The fit and finish is top notch, very neat and tidy. This came as no surprise as I already own a pair of the Spotfire interconnects.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/6XfnYL.jpg

Oliver said they require circa 100 hours running in before they reach their optimum level. I would say mine have 50 odd hours on them at the moment so please bear that in mind.

I bought a pair of Spotfire interconnects last May and Iíve been extremely impressed with them. When I saw Oliver was making Spotfire speaker cables I contacted him immediately.
Sadly, as most of you will be aware Oliver had a motorcycle accident and wasnít in any fit state to make any cables. He asked if I could contact him a month later and see how he was feeling then. I did just that and even though he wasnít feeling 100% he said heíd make the cables for me. An order was placed and within 10 days I had the cables in my hand.

My previous speaker cables were Chord Co Signatureís (the MK1 version) which Iíve had since 2014 which and been very happy with them.
At first you arenít quite sure what the differences/improvements are but itís not long before they start to show their true colours.
The soundstage is a lot wider with space and depth between the instruments. Instruments have a more authentic sound and you can feel the way they were struck. Itís hard to describe but itís all there in front of you.

I agree with James @jimbo with his and his wifeís findings (by chance I contacted Oliver last week to give him an update on how I was getting along with the Spotfireís and I used the same analogy as @jimbo I too found the change from the Chordís to the Spotfire cables similar to the move from MM carts to a (very) decent MC cart. Everything has a move real/authentic sound plus the presentation is more relaxed and easier to listen to. Iíve been amazed at the extra detail the Spotfireís have retrieved.

Going back to the Chord Signatures they initially impressed but itís not long before you start missing the Spotfireís.
Iíve now sold the Chord Signatures and Iíve also placed an order for another set of Interconnects. So I think thatís the best recommendations I can give.

One last thing. Oliver has been a pleasure to deal with. Even though heís still far from fully recovered from his accident heís got back to emails quickly and turned around the order very quickly.

Cheers
Rob

PS: I haven't connected the Shielding cables yet so can't comment on whether they make a difference or not.

Bigman80
10-04-2019, 11:38
Iíve had my Spotfire speaker cables for three weeks now. The first official pair of ĎReference Spotfireí speaker cables (plus matching jumper cables) I believe? The first thing which strikes you is how thick and substantial looking they are. The next thing is the build quality. The fit and finish is top notch, very neat and tidy. This came as no surprise as I already own a pair of the Spotfire interconnects.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/6XfnYL.jpg

Oliver said they require circa 100 hours running in before they reach their optimum level. I would say mine have 50 odd hours on them at the moment so please bear that in mind.

I bought a pair of Spotfire interconnects last May and Iíve been extremely impressed with them. When I saw Oliver was making Spotfire speaker cables I contacted him immediately.
Sadly, as most of you will be aware Oliver had a motorcycle accident and wasnít in any fit state to make any cables. He asked if I could contact him a month later and see how he was feeling then. I did just that and even though he wasnít feeling 100% he said heíd make the cables for me. An order was placed and within 10 days I had the cables in my hand.

My previous speaker cables were Chord Co Signatureís (the MK1 version) which Iíve had since 2014 which and been very happy with them.
At first you arenít quite sure what the differences/improvements are but itís not long before they start to show their true colours.
The soundstage is a lot wider with space and depth between the instruments. Instruments have a more authentic sound and you can feel the way they were struck. Itís hard to describe but itís all there in front of you.

I agree with James @jimbo with his and his wifeís findings (by chance I contacted Oliver last week to give him an update on how I was getting along with the Spotfireís and I used the same analogy as @jimbo I too found the change from the Chordís to the Spotfire cables similar to the move from MM carts to a (very) decent MC cart. Everything has a move real/authentic sound plus the presentation is more relaxed and easier to listen to. Iíve been amazed at the extra detail the Spotfireís have retrieved.

Going back to the Chord Signatures they initially impressed but itís not long before you start missing the Spotfireís.
Iíve now sold the Chord Signatures and Iíve also placed an order for another set of Interconnects. So I think thatís the best recommendations I can give.

One last thing. Oliver has been a pleasure to deal with. Even though heís still far from fully recovered from his accident heís got back to emails quickly and turned around the order very quickly.

Cheers
Rob

PS: I haven't connected the Shielding cables yet so can't comment on whether they make a difference or not.Thanks mate!

Bigman80
10-04-2019, 18:17
And we go again!

Macca's cables are now in the midst of construction. Still waiting for the bits to finish of the two Naim cables I'm currently building which is frustrating but again, great patience from the guys. Thanks again!

A sneak peak https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190410/43b101af4e24696a93d16878c9967b75.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190410/c55593aa0216d71d95bb1ebb3b209926.jpg

Blackmass
10-04-2019, 18:22
Oliver they are worth the wait.

Bigman80
10-04-2019, 18:31
Oliver they are worth the wait.[emoji4]

struth
10-04-2019, 18:41
I will be wanting a metre set with plugs all round at some stage

Bigman80
10-04-2019, 18:51
I will be wanting a metre set with plugs all round at some stageNo worries Grant. Just let me know whenever you're ready. I'm currently up to my eyeball in cable mind you lol

Bigman80
13-04-2019, 14:40
Macca's cables finished, tested and just about to be packed up for the postie on Monday.

Now for some interconnects before Crimsondonkey's speaker cables get made up.

Lovely stuff. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190413/131c4b54637743078a87a8d31521bf7b.jpg

Macca
13-04-2019, 17:20
Very tasty. Just in time for the holidays too.

Bigman80
13-04-2019, 17:26
Very tasty. Just in time for the holidays too.Yes mate, I'll get them in the post tomorrow

struth
13-04-2019, 17:30
Look good.

Bigman80
13-04-2019, 17:36
Look good.Thanks, Grant.

They take far too long to build lol. That said, I'm very pleased with the fit and finish and they sound great so they're a winner. Imo anyway [emoji38]

Macca
17-04-2019, 17:46
I took delivery of a set of these cables yesterday and have got them hooked up this evening and am now having a listen. They are very thick and heavy cables, about the same gauge as you would use to moor a boat (I'm not exaggerating either). My Krell is out of action so system is Sony SCD-XB790, DCB1 pre-amp, XTZ power amp and JM Lab 926 speakers.

Interconnects are the Bigbottle Spotfires which I bought a while back. I was impressed by these and also by the DCB1 pre-amp (which is from Nelson Pass but was recommended to me by Ollie) so I've good reason to have some faith when Ollie told me he was making a Spotfire speaker cable since he does seem to have an idea for what good sound is that is very similar to mine.

I did have a listen to them at Ollie's place where they were compared to another set of cables that get good user reviews and which I consider good. There was certainly a difference in the presentation of the two cables although I did not think it a big difference (Ollie disagreed) I do have trouble with Ollie's vintage Pioneer speakers which are so different to what I use it takes me the whole time to acclimatise to them whereas he lives with them and I guess can listen through their faults.

Nevertheless there did seem to be a noticeable and repeated difference so I thought I would give them a go in my own system. I don't know about the intricacies of cable design but a far as I'm concerned if the cable is very high purity copper and there is a lot of it then it won't be far off perfect and these cables fit both criteria.

I specified spades for the amp end and banana plugs for the speaker ends and these are all of good quality and the bananas are solid fit in the sockets, I hate it when the plugs just slide in because you know they can slide out again and clearly are not fitting tightly inside. There's nothing worse.

My substitute amp is not as good as the Krell. If you heard it in isolation you'd say it was fine but back to back with the Krell you notice how by comparison it just slightly slurs all the transients and makes everything sound just a little less real (this is true of most amplifiers IME so not really a slight on the XTZ. It's just that the Krell is exceptional, it makes every note sound beautiful).

There's nothing worse than having to downgrade even if it is only temporary, because you don't forget. Anyway just to explain I was not using these cables with my full 'A' system which may compromise the review a little but can't be helped.

On the other hand I was hoping that they would make at least a small improvement. I was quite surprised then to hear just in the first few bars of the first album I played (Robert Plant: Principle Of Moments) that the sound had cleaned up a little and the bass had a little more presence. The XTZ was not turned into a Krell but it had stepped the sound up a gear - or maybe half a gear, there's no night and day stuff going on here. Essentially it is the same difference I heard at Ollies, a slightly cleaner, slightly more precise sound. At the same time it is slightly more relaxing and pleasant on the ear.

I'm sure Ollie recommends a hundred hours burn in or whatever, which I don't buy into and in any case I don't think I could spot it happening anyway. I never noticed any change over time/use with the Spotfire interconnects but that may just be me. But I will try listening out for it again and see.

I have not connected the 'drain wire' yet but will do so and report back.

Bigman80
17-04-2019, 18:09
I took delivery if a set of these cables yesterday and have got them hooked up this evening and am now having a listen. They are very thick and heavy cables, about the same gauge as you would use to moor a boat (I'm not exaggerating either). My Krell is out of action so system is Sony SCD-XB790, DCB1 pre-amp, XTZ power amp and JM Lab 926 speakers.

Interconnects are the Bigbottle Spotfires which I bought a while back. I was impressed by these and also by the DCB1 pre-amp (which is from Nelson Pass but was recommended to me by Ollie) so I've good reason to have some faith when Ollie told me he was making a Spotfire speaker cable since he does seem to have an idea for what good sound is that is very similar to mine.

I did have a listen to them at Ollie's place where they were compared to another set of cables that get good user reviews and which I consider good. There was certainly a difference in the presentation of the two cables although I did not think it a big difference (Ollie disagreed) I do have trouble with Ollie's vintage Pioneer speakers which are so different to what I use it takes me the whole time to acclimatise to them whereas he lives with them and I guess can listen through their faults.

Nevertheless there did seem to be a noticeable and repeated difference so I thought I would give them a go in my own system. I don't know about the intricacies of cable design but a far as I'm concerned if the cable is very high purity copper and there is a lot of it then it won't be far off perfect and these cables fit both criteria.

I specified spades for the amp end and banana plugs for the speaker ends and these are all of good quality and the bananas are solid fit in the sockets, I hate it when the plugs just slide in because you know they can slide out again and clearly are not fitting tightly inside. There's nothing worse.

My substitute amp is not as good as the Krell. If you heard it in isolation you'd say it was fine but back to back with the Krell you notice how by comparison it just slightly slurs all the transients and makes everything sound just a little less real (this is true of pretty much all amplifiers IME so not really slight on the XTZ. It's just that the Krell is exceptional, it makes every note sound beautiful).

There's nothing worse than having to downgrade even if it is only temporary, because you don't forget. Anyway just to explain I was not using these cables with my full 'A' system which may compromise the review a little but can't be helped.

On the other hand I was hoping that they would make at least a small improvement. I was quite surprised then to hear just in the first few bars of the first album I played (Robert Plant: Principle Of Moments) that the sound had cleaned up a little and the bass had a little more presence. The XTZ was not turned into a Krell but it had stepped the sound up a gear - or maybe half a gear, there's no night and day stuff going on here. Essentially it is the same difference I heard at Ollies, a slightly cleaner, slightly more precise sound. At the same time it is slightly more relaxing and pleasant on the ear.

I'm sure Ollie recommends a hundred hours burn in or whatever, which I don't buy into and in any case I don't think I could spot it happening anyway. I never noticed any change over time/use with the Spotfire interconnects but that may just be me. But I will try listening out for it again and see.

I have not connected the 'drain wire' yet but will do so and report back.Hi Martin,

Ha! My Pioneers are wonderful!!! Lol.

Yes, the difference in speakers that we listen to is quite obvious BUT both sets are capable of clearly portraying any difference between samples of any kit. So, as you say, I listen through their minimal faults with ease [emoji38]

Yes, once again, if you are considering a set of these cables PLEASE ensure you allow for very minimal flexibility when measuring up. They are big, they are stiff and they will not bend to your will! I recommend spades at the Amplifier end and Zplugs/Bananas at the speaker end. I use Gold plated Copper termination for this.

Its a real shame that your Krell is being investigated as I really think, and have proved beyond doubt here, that the better the amplification, the more the speaker cables can show their quality. I don't mean to say that the XTZ is inferior, but when you get the Krell in, you'll hear more of a difference due to the Krell's ability to make everything sound wonderful. Remember, i know exactly where you're at the the Krell, DCB1 and SPOTFIRE combo. Its glorious.

The cables you brought here were good, and we both agreed that they did perform well, however, even with my Kabuki speakers, it was obvious that they weren't as transparent. I agree that I thought the difference was bigger but it was my system and I am very in tune with what's going on, as you are with yours.

I am convinced that as soon as you plumb your Krell back in, you'll know for sure.

As for Burn in, again, I think it happens and always recommend a Full 100 hours to be sure but, I also accept I might be mad, I mean, I am convinced the Nylon braid on the cables makes a difference lol

Anyway, enjoy the cables and give us an update when you get the Krell back. Hopefully it's home soon. Very difficult listening to anything else, you have my sympathy.

Glad they have shown you an initial improvement. It must be "enough" because you rarely comment without fair consideration. I'm happy with that.

Macca
17-04-2019, 18:23
Anyway, enjoy the cables and give us an update when you get the Krell back. Hopefully it's home soon. Very difficult listening to anything else, you have my sympathy.

Yeah you're not kidding. You don't realise until you go back just how good the goddamn thing is. It's shocking. I'm seriously thinking of buying another one (if I can find one) to tide me over. And yes I agree that I need it back in my system to fully evaluate the cables.

User211
17-04-2019, 18:25
I took delivery of a set of these cables yesterday and have got them hooked up this evening and am now having a listen. They are very thick and heavy cables, about the same gauge as you would use to moor a boat (I'm not exaggerating either). My Krell is out of action so system is Sony SCD-XB790, DCB1 pre-amp, XTZ power amp and JM Lab 926 speakers.

My substitute amp is not as good as the Krell. If you heard it in isolation you'd say it was fine but back to back with the Krell you notice how by comparison it just slightly slurs all the transients and makes everything sound just a little less real (this is true of most amplifiers IME so not really a slight on the XTZ. It's just that the Krell is exceptional, it makes every note sound beautiful).

I have not connected the 'drain wire' yet but will do so and report back.Nice, honest write up Martin.

When I played with speaker cables a while back I did hear quite marked differences especially with dissimilar bi-wire cables.

Multi-strand copper for bass and thinner solid core copper for the mids/treble worked really well on Martin Logans.

Then I got some Nordost Red Dawn and even though I don't really like the brand it was better.

Kept it ever since. But that is probably a bad idea. The Nordost seemed to work wonders on Martin Logans. There probably is better cable for Apogees. But until I bother to try...

I also always thought interconnect makes less difference than loudspeaker cable.

Bigman80
17-04-2019, 18:27
Yeah you're not kidding. You don't realise until you go back just how good the goddamn thing is. It's shocking. I'm seriously thinking of buying another one (if I can find one) to tide me over. And yes I agree that I need it back in my system to fully evaluate the cables.There aren't many about so if one crosses my path, I'll let you know. In all honesty, a spare is not a bad idea at all! I may do that myself.

struth
17-04-2019, 18:34
Nice, honest write up Martin.

When I played with speaker cables a while back I did hear quite marked differences especially with dissimilar bi-wire cables.

Multi-strand copper for bass and thinner solid core copper for the mids/treble worked really well on Martin Logans.

Then I got some Nordost Red Dawn and even though I don't really like the brand it was better.

Kept it ever since. But that is probably a bad idea. The Nordost seemed to work wonders on Martin Logans. There probably is better cable for Apogees. But until I bother to try...

I also always thought interconnect makes less difference than loudspeaker cable.Used to think that, and still do to a point. But those silver rca cables of Brian's shocked me with the difference.
Still to get something sorted re a set of these.

Oli the gap between the two sets of sockets is about 65cm. What u think

Bigman80
17-04-2019, 18:37
Nice, honest write up Martin.

I also always thought interconnect makes less difference than loudspeaker cable.Justin, I agree, Martin is very adept at an even handed report on what he hears so I am glad to have his feedback. If they were crap I know he'd say so! Thankfully that's not the case lol

Interesting perspective on what cable makes the most difference. I suppose it all comes down to where you invested in the first place.

Speaker cable is often neglected due to the sheer price of the stuff, mine included. The other thing to consider is that most speaker cable, if gauge is taken out of the equation, is generally copper of a similar standard.

Interconnects on the other hand, seem to come up for sale everyday and it's relatively easy to get up to a decent level for simple money.

Personally, I have had experience that both interconnects and speaker cables can give you big steps in performance in equal measure bit again, it depends on where the starting point is.

Either way, we're all in this for improvement and as long as that is being achieved, I am happy.

Bigman80
17-04-2019, 18:40
Used to think that, and still do to a point. But those silver rca cables of Brian's shocked me with the difference.
Still to get something sorted re a set of these.

Oli the gap between the two sets of sockets is about 65cm. What u thinkWell, I'd defo get 1m because 0.65m would be the same price [emoji23]

I swapped 4m fisuals for 3.5m SPOTFIRE and got away with it because I have no tight angles to worry about.

I recommend spades at the amp end for this exact reason. As long as you have decent clearance, say 10cm beging the speaker, they should be fine.

Also, take into account the route of the cable, any tight angles won't be followed closely.

I'll post some pics to show what I mean.

struth
17-04-2019, 18:43
If you could measure how much cable is needed to get vertical from horizontal with plugs it will let me know for sure.

Bigman80
17-04-2019, 18:50
If you could measure how much cable is needed to get vertical from horizontal with plugs it will let me know for sure.How high are the terminals on the speakers?

Bigman80
17-04-2019, 18:55
So, a 10cm gap allows for the use of bananas

As you can see, the cable is significantly thicker than the SPOTFIRE Interconnect!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190417/6e446c06ceff0e44b12da03f2fbb9608.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190417/1311d40a8437e11be4608d934e3e2faa.jpg

struth
17-04-2019, 19:03
They are halfway up. Bottom of speaker socket to top amp socket is 65cm maybe slightly less. Leaves 35cm for 2 bends. so as long as the bend doesn't make them stick out a foot a meter might do. I don't like spades

Bigman80
17-04-2019, 19:15
They are halfway up. Bottom of speaker socket to top amp socket is 65cm maybe slightly less. Leaves 35cm for 2 bends. so as long as the bend doesn't make them stick out a foot a meter might do. I don't like spadesOk, understood.

Macca
21-04-2019, 12:16
Had a longer listen with these speaker cables in place now and am pleasantly impressed. Had some incompatibility between DCB1 pre and the XTZ so am now using the XTZ as an integrated which is a surprising improvement. That aside I can now hear that the cables really do deliver the subtle resolution required to make those little things that are so important work - like getting cymbals to ring and decay just right. The sound is very precise and 'tidy' (can't think of a better word right now). Bass resolution is excellent.

Only drawback is that with their huge girth and fancy braided covers it does make it look like I've spent thousands on audiophile speaker cables which is a bit embarrassing. Fortunately I don't get many visitors.

If you can live with that shame I highly recommend checking these cables out.

Bigman80
21-04-2019, 14:15
Had a longer listen with these speaker cables in place now and am pleasantly impressed. Had some incompatibility between DCB1 pre and the XTZ so am now using the XTZ as an integrated which is a surprising improvement. That aside I can now hear that the cables really do deliver the subtle resolution required to make those little things that are so important work - like getting cymbals to ring and decay just right. The sound is very precise and 'tidy' (can't think of a better word right now). Bass resolution is excellent.

Only drawback is that with their huge girth and fancy braided covers it does make it look like I've spent thousands on audiophile speaker cables which is a bit embarrassing. Fortunately I don't get many visitors.

If you can live with that shame I highly recommend checking these cables out.Oh the shame!!!

[emoji38] That made me laugh Martin.

Yes, they may "look" fancy but it's all about the sound. It does take a few days to get your brain around the sound and as you say, when starting from a position of having decent speaker cables, the subtle differences take a bit longer to register. That's been a common statement since I started selling them but everyone has confirmed my opinion of these cables, which is all I can ask.

I started from a position of bang average and the improvement blew me away. I'm still enchanted by the sound I get. I'm hoping you get the Krell back up and running soon, as the combination of DCB1>Krell will really demonstrate their ability.

Thank you for the update and I'm really pleased they are working for you.

Bigman80
29-04-2019, 15:31
Another set under construction!

5m this one! Longest one yet and it's like wrestling a Boa!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190429/cfaf2c3cc53610cbd7ce4b84e4c282b3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190429/a71a67f6bc1f2540e318653fb0ea144c.jpg

User211
29-04-2019, 15:38
Another set under construction!

5m this one! Longest one yet and it's like wrestling a Boa!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190429/cfaf2c3cc53610cbd7ce4b84e4c282b3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190429/a71a67f6bc1f2540e318653fb0ea144c.jpgImagine the bi-wire version - a large octopus?

Need to find an excuse for a quad wire.:D

Bigman80
29-04-2019, 16:25
Imagine the bi-wire version - a large octopus?

Need to find an excuse for a quad wire.:D[emoji38] yes indeed!. I did make a Bi-wire pair recently? Can't find the pic.

Bigman80
29-04-2019, 17:11
Finished!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190429/2a2b6543a9d7e46d84de4209abcc64e6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190429/5a579a033fe893b18fb78c2b275f2ee2.jpg

Bigman80
13-06-2019, 08:39
I've spent the last few days letting the shorter cables I built, burn in.

The first critical listen came last night. Not critical as in performance but to whether I could hear any difference between the old pair and the new pair as they both had different connectors.

My old pair originally had a couple of GP brass spades. I swapped them for GP copper zplugs at the request of the new owner. When I Re-auditioned them prior to posting, I noted a marked rise in micro detail. I was pleasantly surprised by this so ventured off to the Internet to seek top class bling for the terminations.

I settled on some very interesting bananas with a spring loaded arm which are reminiscent of Chords own plugs.

They are screw on connectors. Why screw on?! I hear you say.

I felt that due to the size of the cable if was the only method I was happy with. Simple.

Listening yesterday, I hoped that the new plugs would provide and improvement over the standard zplug. Well, I have to say honestly, I'm not sure if it does or whether it's the fact the brass connectors are still in my memory from before. These cables are now better for the change but I'm not sure if it's better than the zplugs now.

I prefer the connection but they cost a lot more to get that satisfaction.

That said, who doesn't like a bit of bling.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190613/9c8d8f7cc0ca479690e84b609a945e91.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190613/8474fdfb60bceaf23f976c3d2deae18d.jpg

Blackmass
13-06-2019, 17:52
I've spent the last few days letting the shorter cables I built, burn in.

The first critical listen came last night. Not critical as in performance but to whether I could hear any difference between the old pair and the new pair as they both had different connectors.

My old pair originally had a couple of GP brass spades. I swapped them for GP copper zplugs at the request of the new owner. When I Re-auditioned them prior to posting, I noted a marked rise in micro detail. I was pleasantly surprised by this so ventured off to the Internet to seek top class bling for the terminations.

I settled on some very interesting bananas with a spring loaded arm which are reminiscent of Chords own plugs.

They are screw on connectors. Why screw on?! I hear you say.

I felt that due to the size of the cable if was the only method I was happy with. Simple.

Listening yesterday, I hoped that the new plugs would provide and improvement over the standard zplug. Well, I have to say honestly, I'm not sure if it does or whether it's the fact the brass connectors are still in my memory from before. These cables are now better for the change but I'm not sure if it's better than the zplugs now.

I prefer the connection but they cost a lot more to get that satisfaction.

That said, who doesn't like a bit of bling.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190613/9c8d8f7cc0ca479690e84b609a945e91.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190613/8474fdfb60bceaf23f976c3d2deae18d.jpg

Thanks for reporting back. I’m relieved in a way as I’m totally skint!

Bigman80
13-06-2019, 18:48
No worries matey.

Bigman80
04-10-2019, 10:13
Just to provide a little update on these,

I have been using the new Bananas for about three months, plugging and unplugging them twice a week in that time. I am pleased to see the Gold plating hasn't shown any sign of wear at all. The little spring arm that forces a tight fit Is also as good as when I fitted them.

All concerns have been tested for and from now on, they will be on every pair of Spotfire Speaker cables I make.