PDA

View Full Version : Best albums/songs to showcase your gear

magiccarpetride
06-05-2010, 16:24
These days when friends visit, they invariably get intrigued by my huge Magneplanar speakers which are domineering our living room. The visitors get curious and express their wish to hear how do these imposing speakers sound. I then get faced with the dilemma: what music should I play that would best showcase not only my Maggies, but also the rest of my audio system (including my latest prized possession, the very impressive sounding Beresford Caiman DAC).

I have recently discovered that Stevie Wonder's "Talking Book" CD sounds really, really nice on my system (with the added bonus that it's such a heartwarming music to begin with, and also very nicely recorded and produced).

Do you have any other recommendations, or stories to relate? What music do you choose to play for your visitors if you want to showcase the amazing capabilities of your audio gear?

John
06-05-2010, 16:34
Always best just to play music you love or know the person might enjoy

magiccarpetride
06-05-2010, 16:38

Some of the music I love and know some of my guests will enjoy is unfortunately not that well recorded/mastered. Like, The Incredible String Band CDs, for example. Or, Jethro Tull "Stand Up". Nevertheless, brilliant music, that's for sure.

John
06-05-2010, 17:14
my ethos brillant music first but nice when u have both So for vinyl Ganalon Aerial View
Cd Stunz and Farah Bola live version, Surinder Sandhu Amiriah and perhaps Jeff Buckley Lover you should've come over because its always good to hear great music

Beechwoods
06-05-2010, 18:00
I had an amusing moment at Scalford with my music choices... some field recordings of the Baka Forest People from South-East Cameroon, as released on Heart Of The Forest by Rykodisc... 'not hi-fi show stuff' I was advised :lol:

Personally I'm looking forward to a show where it's all my choice of music. At least I'll be happy!

Uv7Bm7mzARA

Barry
06-05-2010, 18:33
I had an amusing moment at Scalford with my music choices... some field recordings of the Baka Forest People from South-East Cameroon, as released on Heart Of The Forest by Rykodisc... 'not hi-fi show stuff' I was advised :lol:

Personally I'm looking forward to a show where it's all my choice of music. At least I'll be happy!

Uv7Bm7mzARA

Hi Nick,

I have that CD. Very good to play late at night - after you have listened to it, you almost feel privileged to have spent time in their company.

Regards

Stratmangler
06-05-2010, 20:49
http://isohunt.com/img.php?mode=release&path=58072.jpg

beek
07-05-2010, 02:34
Standing in the safety zone - The Fairfield Four :)

twelvebears
07-05-2010, 03:32

Agreed, though I do have few personal favorites:

Superstition by Stevie Wonder - Love that funky eletric piano and brass section, plus EVERYONE loves this song. ;)

Enter Sandman by Metalica - FEEL the bass!

Pretty much anything from Leftism by Leftfield but particularly Melt and Song Of Life (especially when it kicks off about 2/3 of the way through)

You And Your Friend by Dire Straits - Great acoustic, soundstaging and subtle details from the guitars and percussion.

:)

Alex_UK
07-05-2010, 12:35
It has had its fair share of discussion on this forum recently, but Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight always goes down well when it all kicks off once the gorilla is thumping those skins heavily... ;) Private Investigations is another good Dire Straits track to use - and has lots of dynamic range like the Phil Collins track... Going to have to play them now!

Jason P
07-05-2010, 13:51
Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky is Crying. In particular his version of Little Wing - hearing drums like that and his amp buzzing gets people every time.

Aerial Boundaries - Michael Hedges. Great dynamics.

The ubiquitous Colour of Spring by Talk Talk - still I think one of the finest recordings ever.

Anything by Eric Bibb on Opus

Anything by Roger Waters, though he's more of acquired taste!

Yello - The Flag

plus a few more I can't remember right now!

Ali Tait
07-05-2010, 15:24
"Nickel Creek" by Nickel Creek.One of the best sounding recordings on cd I've come across.Great music too,if you like bluegrass.

goraman
08-05-2010, 20:06
If you wan't to show the speed of electrostates, The Dead Kennedy's Fresh fruit for rotten vegtables.

Ali Tait
08-05-2010, 20:29
I'll give it a go!