PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Short Break - Loch Lomond

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
06-05-2010, 16:00
Hi Guys

Just had a short 5 day break in Scotland. Stayed in a place Called Tarbet on the shores of Loch Lomond. Found a dog friendly cottage in 3 acres of enclosed gardens which was fantastic for Faye and Cookie. They could be let out and I felt they were safe and not going to disappear.

Had a couple of trips out. Drove over to Fort William through Glen Coe. What awe inspiring scenery, very stark and foreboding, though fantastic all at the same time. Had a walk around Fort William though I was a touch disappointed. Not too sure what I expected either.

Also had a drive out to Oban via Inveraray and Lochgilphead again very nice run. Oban quite a nice place . Had the chance to let the dogs of for a good walk both days on the way out.

While out found the Hydro-Electric Power Station to visit at Cruachan on the shores of Loch Awe. The whole place mined into the mountain and dammed at the top. They use the dam water to generate electricity at peak demand times then pump it back up to the dam ready to use when needed again.

Also stopped off at a very Gothic (to me anyway) church. Saint Conan's Kirk at Loch Awe. Nice place and well kept and preserved, still in use too.

All in all had a very enjoyable time, will be back soon I hope. It was the first visit in a long time to Scotland and I shouldn't leave it as long again.

A couple of photo's below out of interest.

Faye and Cookie - 'On Us Holidays, The Git Walked Us Legs Orf''
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/DSC_0032.jpg

Loch Lomond - View From The Cottage Near Tarbet
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/DSC_0086V1.jpg

The 3/4 Mile Walk Back To The Cottage - Knacked Me, Never Mine The Dogs
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/DSC_0076.jpg

The Main House - Cottage Behind House, But This Is A Far Nicer View
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/DSC_0075.jpg

Glen Coe - A Stark Yet Awe Inspiring View
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/DSC_0052.jpg

St Conan's Kirk - Loch Awe
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/DSC_0090V1.jpg

St Conan's Kirk - Interior, Very Nicely Restored And Preserved
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/DSC_0102V1.jpg

St Conan's Kirk - View From Loch Side
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/DSC_0114V1.jpg

Andy - SDDW

Rare Bird
06-05-2010, 16:18
That looks really nice in the bottom pic. i could easily live in that

06-05-2010, 16:29
That looks really nice in the bottom pic. i could easily live in that

I totally agree Andre, what an absolutely fabulous place to live.
Though I'm not too sure how the music would sound in there, you'd also need a 'Git Big' pair of speakers to fill the place :eyebrows:.

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
06-05-2010, 19:19
At least you didn't stay in Ballock :doh: Think nice bit of say Olton Broad sited in the middle of a rough housing estate.

I like the back road to Glasgow route and the Campsie area. We will be going to Sterling later in the year.

Nice photos.

Regards D S D L

06-05-2010, 19:30
Hi Neil

Sterling was on the 'To Do List' but didn't have the time in the end.
I will be looking forward to returning and visiting Sterling Castle etc.
Idealy venture a bit further North and West too.
Anyway, all that's for another time. maybe later this year.

Andy - SDDW

Ali Tait
07-05-2010, 01:31
Would that be STIRLING by any chance?? Not that I'm evanjelical,it's just where I was born.

Marco
07-05-2010, 06:12
Hi Andy,

Great pictures, mate (as usual!), and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in beautiful Scotland, especially in areas I know very well :)

But, guys, let's get the spelling right..... Sterling? Ballock?? Me thinks you've dropped a bollock!! :lol:

Try 'Stirling' and 'Balloch', ya dafties :lolsign:

Neil, you should know better, as it's supposed to be your favourite country. Don't tell me you also pronounce 'Loch' as 'Lock'! ;)

That looks really nice in the bottom pic. i could easily live in that...

Hehehehe... I could just see you in there, Andre, suitably dressed retro stylee, with a cheeky wee grin, and a spit-screen VW camper van parked outside....... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
07-05-2010, 07:14
Hi Andy,

Great pictures, mate (as usual!), and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in beautiful Scotland, especially in areas I know very well :)

But, guys, let's get the spelling right..... Sterling? Ballock?? Me thinks you've dropped a bollock!! :lol:

Try 'Stirling' and 'Balloch', ya dafties :lolsign:

Neil, you should know better, as it's supposed to be your favourite country. Don't tell me you also pronounce 'Loch' as 'Lock'! ;)

Hehehehe... I could just see you in there, Andre, suitably dressed retro stylee, with a cheeky wee grin, and a spit-screen VW camper van parked outside....... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Fair cop bad spelling :doh: But I prefer my spelling for Balloch (should really be bollock imho) as the place is a con.

Hi Andy well you have done the side of Scotland that we haven't yet and we really should, soon!

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
07-05-2010, 08:19
Andy,
Great stuff - the dogs look like they had a great time too.

Marco,
This business of the pronunciation of place names and the little buns you eat with jam and cream etc.
It's always niggled me a bit this, because pronunciation is largely based upon how the speakers accent deals with the emphasis of various syllables. In England, it's generally considered a bit funny when an American talks of 'Lice Esther Square' and the like, but we don't take it nearly as much to heart as you haggis-munchers.
For example, how do you pronounce the name of the country to the south of the USA ? I expect that like me, you call it Mex-ico, while the people who live there call it Meh-hico. For us to use the native method feels unnatural because of the way our accent forms words, but for someone with the appropriate accent, it's perfectly normal.
With many Scottish words too, it's natural for an English accent to place the emphasis differently – the one I used to hear a lot when I lived in Scotland was the Scots berating the English by saying, "It's not Glenmor-angie, it's Glen-mor-angie." As for loch & lock – the English accent just doesn't really get into talking from the back of the throat gutturally, so it often comes out in the way that so offends you guys.
Personally, I learnt at the age of 4 or 5 to use Scottish style pronunciation as a means of self preservation – young kids can be pretty cruel to anyone who's overtly different. When I moved back to Scotland as an adult though, I used to be pretty disgruntled at times about the intolerance expressed, both verbally and through belittling looks, that my neighbours and co-workers had of 'incorrect' pronunciation by other English people.

I did laugh mercilessly though, at the American tourist who pronounced Drumnadrochit as Drum-nagra-shite!

07-05-2010, 08:40
Would that be STIRLING by any chance?? Not that I'm evanjelical,it's just where I was born.

Hi Guys

Fair cop there guys, another example of me not concentrating while I am writing.

'Must try harder' :). Just had a flash back to when I was at school, a very long time ago now.

Andy - SDDW

07-05-2010, 08:44
Andy,

Hi Chris

The dogs loved it, and so did I. Mind you they were knackered in the evenings.

Though they were ready to start again the next day.

Andy - SDDW

Barry
07-05-2010, 08:45
Andy,

Marco,
This business of the pronunciation of place names and the little buns you eat with jam and cream etc.
It's always niggled me a bit this, because pronunciation is largely based upon how the speakers accent deals with the emphasis of various syllables. In England, it's generally considered a bit funny when an American talks of 'Lice Esther Square' and the like, but we don't take it nearly as much to heart as you haggis-munchers.
For example, how do you pronounce the name of the country to the south of the USA ? I expect that like me, you call it Mex-ico, while the people who live there call it Meh-hico. For us to use the native method feels unnatural because of the way our accent forms words, but for someone with the appropriate accent, it's perfectly normal.
With many Scottish words too, it's natural for an English accent to place the emphasis differently – the one I used to hear a lot when I lived in Scotland was the Scots berating the English by saying, "It's not Glenmor-angie, it's Glen-mor-angie." As for loch & lock – the English accent just doesn't really get into talking from the back of the throat gutturally, so it often comes out in the way that so offends you guys.
Personally, I learnt at the age of 4 or 5 to use Scottish style pronunciation as a means of self preservation – young kids can be pretty cruel to anyone who's overtly different. When I moved back to Scotland as an adult though, I used to be pretty disgruntled at times about the intolerance expressed, both verbally and through belittling looks, that my neighbours and co-workers had of 'incorrect' pronunciation by other English people.

I did laugh mercilessly though, at the American tourist who pronounced Drumnadrochit as Drum-nagra-shite!

Excellent post Chris.

Our palate hardens up by the age of 20, so unless by that age we have learnt to produce certain sounds correctly, we never will.

I'm still having trouble with the 'Ll' sound in Welsh (as in Llandudno): it's not Clan-did-no, but more a breathy sound made at the back of the throat with the tongue placed behind the upper teeth. Even though I know how it should be pronounced, I still can't do it properly.

I get around the pronounciation of Glenmorangie, by only drinking Laphroaig (not many people pronounce that properly!), Aberlour (because it's cheaper!) or Lagavulin.

However to my shame, it was only a few years ago that I learnt that the southern Californian town of La Jolla was pronounced 'La Hoya'. I should have know better.

Regards

PS There is nothing 'shite' about Nagra.

Marco
07-05-2010, 10:13
Just running out the door now chaps....

However, Chris and Barry, that's the problem with you non-Celts: you can only manage to pronounce the 'Queen's English' properly!! :lolsign:

You Sassenachs need to spend more time in rural Scotland or Wales (or even some parts of Ireland) and educate yourselves more........!

:eyebrows:

Laters,

Marco.

P.S I'm not saying that any of you come into this category, but what annoys Scottish people is the (often) complete unwillingness of the English to so much as even try to pronounce Scottish words/names correctly, and this is seen as a sign of disrespect, which may explain some of the problems you've encountered......... ;)

The Grand Wazoo
07-05-2010, 13:19
...... but what annoys Scottish people is the (often) complete unwillingness of the English to so much as even try to pronounce Scottish words/names correctly, and this is seen as a sign of disrespect, which may explain some of the problems you've encountered......... ;)

The point is that it's not necessarily an unwillingness to try. When some Scots folks say Sooth-ham-ton, I don't get offended or try correct them. I simply accept that it's a function of their accent that prevents them being able to easily & comfortably say the syllable 'sow' followed by 'tham'. Some people from Southampton say Saaff-amp-em but they don't expect others to copy them!

Barry:
Agreed on Lagavulin & Laphroaig.

Stratmangler
07-05-2010, 13:55
Just running out the door now chaps....

However, Chris and Barry, that's the problem with you non-Celts: you can only manage to pronounce the 'Queen's English' properly!! :lolsign:

You Sassenachs need to spend more time in rural Scotland or Wales (or even some parts of Ireland) and educate yourselves more........!

:eyebrows:

Laters,

Marco.

P.S I'm not saying that any of you come into this category, but what annoys Scottish people is the (often) complete unwillingness of the English to so much as even try to pronounce Scottish words/names correctly, and this is seen as a sign of disrespect, which may explain some of the problems you've encountered......... ;)

I spent my early years living in all sorts of places - my father was in the RAF and consequently changed postings on a fairly regular basis.

I developed the ability to assimilate accents from quite a young age.
It's a good self defence tactic - if you don't stand out then you don't get picked on. And there's nothing kids like to do better than pick on the kid who stands out from the general herd.
When my father had a posting to Glasgow the family followed, and I ended up sounding as though I'd lived there from birth.

As a consequence I also have a slightly disdainful attitude to people who make no attempt whatsoever to attempt to pronounce words properly.

There are some areas where I draw the line though.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch is just taking the piss !

Ali Tait
07-05-2010, 15:15
:lolsign:

Must admit,I have taken people to task over the Genmorangie thing in the past.I do take the mickey out my girlfriend's pronunciation from time to time too.She's from Surrey.I wouldn't say I'm intolerant though,just proud of my heritage.

Barry
07-05-2010, 16:05
I spent my early years living in all sorts of places - my father was in the RAF and consequently changed postings on a fairly regular basis.

I developed the ability to assimilate accents from quite a young age.
It's a good self defence tactic - if you don't stand out then you don't get picked on. And there's nothing kids like to do better than pick on the kid who stands out from the general herd.
When my father had a posting to Glasgow the family followed, and I ended up sounding as though I'd lived there from birth.

As a consequence I also have a slightly disdainful attitude to people who make no attempt whatsoever to attempt to pronounce words properly.

There are some areas where I draw the line though.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch is just taking the piss !

Even the locals are content to call it Llanfair P G. If you pronounced it correctly and in full, you would probably be regarded with suspicion.

Regards

Stratmangler
07-05-2010, 16:27
Even the locals are content to call it Llanfair P G. If you pronounced it correctly and in full, you would probably be regarded with suspicion.

Regards

I think folks 'round there lose the will to live before they've even managed to get halfway through the name.:eyebrows:

aquapiranha
07-05-2010, 20:47
Very nice Andy, lovely pics. I have spent the last few new years in cottages in the lakes and the area is lovely at the time of year. I should try to get up to scotalnd more often as the only times I seem to see it were drunken weekends in Edinburgh over hogmanay!

07-05-2010, 21:19
Very nice Andy, lovely pics. I have spent the last few new years in cottages in the lakes and the area is lovely at the time of year. I should try to get up to scotalnd more often as the only times I seem to see it were drunken weekends in Edinburgh over hogmanay!

Hi Steve

I will be back to Scotland ASAP. Really loved my time there.

If you have enjoyed the Lakes area why not travel a touch further East and get to the Yorkshire Dales. I live reasonably close by and as usual don't visit as often as I should, but when I do I realise what a great area it is. Qutre unique in a lot of ways. Give the Hawes, Leyburn area's a go

Andy - SDDW

aquapiranha
07-05-2010, 21:22
Hi Andy. I have done some wlking in the Dales and yourkshire in general. In fact I was in Kettlewell and Arncliffe recently, lovely area.

Steve

The Vinyl Adventure
08-05-2010, 19:38
Hi andy, like the piccys, it's amazing how tired a dog can get in one day and then have such a crazy amount of energy the next!

What did you take the photos with? The last 2 look a little bit hdr?

08-05-2010, 20:51
Hi Hamish

I've been out twice today with the dogs, 2 hours this morning and had a trip over to Richmond this afternoon. So another 2 hours nearly along the river Swale. Just got up to make a coffee and read any mails and they are both up and about ready and willing to go out again - Fat chance of that now.

The camera is a Nikon D40, bought it 2nd hand about 2 years ago. I use to be into photography in a big way during my teens and early twenties then nothing for years (I still have my original Minolta XG2 SLR). So it was a test to see if I got back into taking photographs again. It's worked out quite well. I like the camera so will be sticking with it.

Not too sure what you mean by 'hrd' if you mean a bit 'hard' looking I tried to get more detail of the Church to come out in the photo. Though I may have overdone it a touch. I wanted a more Stark look with a more contrast.

Richmond Today - River Swale
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/DSC_0018.jpg

Andy - SDDW

The Vinyl Adventure
08-05-2010, 21:25
ours are whippet and whippet/lab ... So I can sympathise, perhaps not the best choice since we live in a city, fortunately we live near a decent park that we walk and they run at great speed around. We have the malverns and quite a lot of decent common land near us too, but I do feel like we could quite easily spend all day every day walking them and they would still have stacks of energy. This all said they are both curled up dozing next to me hogging the sofa!

HDR is what I meant, I think my iPhone incorrected me!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging?wasRedirected=true

You certainly look like you know what your doing with a camera!

08-05-2010, 21:37
Hi Hamish

The original photo was taken the 'Easy Method' I just left the Nikon set in Auto to do it's job. It usually gives very good results.

But for the 2 last images I wanted a more Hard, Stark look so I dropped them into Photoshop.

I have both Faye and Cookie curled up at the door of the room, so there's no chance I can escape without them knowing, devious things they are:)

Andy - SDDW

The Grand Wazoo
08-05-2010, 22:51
Richmond Today - River Swale

Bloody 'ell Andy! Good job you didn't drop yer lens cap - that some bloomin' steep hill you took that photo from!

Alex_UK
08-05-2010, 23:04
Nice pics - #2 especially is a stunner, I do miss the hills.

The Vinyl Adventure
08-05-2010, 23:06
Devious, frustrating, pain in the butt... But take them away from me and and meet thine doom :)

murphy says hi

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/f824a543.jpg

d40's are very good indeed! 6mp cameras are hugely underated, ok the detail isn't quite that of some of the higher rez cameras, and technology is now getting a lot better, but that 6mp sensor is a goodun in my books!

The Grand Wazoo
08-05-2010, 23:12
Yes Alex - you don't exactly nestle in the Himalayas where you live!
Years ago, I moved to North Notts from SW Scotland & it's just as flat there as it is in your part of the world. At the time I was managing forestry for a minor member of the aristocracy & we were very proud to have a hill! It was about 80 miles inland but still only 30 metres above sea level!

When I was there, I missed the hills so much it wasn't true. I got lazy & forgot how to walk up 'em. Now, I live half an hour from the Lake District & the Trough of Bowland is almost outside my back door but I'm so bloody unfit, I can't walk up 'em.

09-05-2010, 08:54
Hi Guys

Cheers for your comments lads.

Chris, it was quite a big drop, the Castle walls were just behind me. The photo's of Richmond Castle are for another visit. The river looks quite calm now, but talking to a local he said it can change at a moment's notice. They get surge flood waters quite often after heavy rain in the Lakes.

Alex, the photo is a shot taken from the walk / drive down to the main road. I should have taken more shots from the same position as the scene changed almost every time I passed it. Though I liked that one the best.

Hamish, 'Devious, frustrating, pain in the butt... But take them away from me and and meet thine doom' I echo your sentiments totally. Faye & Cookie say Hi Murphy - We're about to go out fro a walk, the beach I think. They love the Sand Dunes to run about in. Though they knacker me out totally.
As for the camera, for what it is, I really enjoy it. It will be here for a while yet, as it does what I need for now. Though I suppose it will be changed sometime in the future.

Andy - SDDW