PDA

View Full Version : Jelco SA-750E damping silicone oil and Denon DL-103

magiccarpetride
28-02-2019, 03:13
Last year I realized that my Denon DL-103, fitted on the Rega RB300 tonearm, is not giving me the sound I was after. So I decided to upgrade my tonearm to Jelco SA-750E. The vendor who fitted Jelco on my turntable recommended I try Ortofon OM20, which I agreed to do (out of curiosity). Immediately after I made that change (replaced RB300/DL-103 combo with Jelco/OM20 combo), I noticed an improvement in resolution.

After spending some time with the new configuration, I decided to try using the damping silicone oil that came with Jelco tonearm. I poured the entire content from the silicone oil container into the chamber on the Jelco arm. The damping really made a difference, as the sound became more precise, with finer details emerging. Quite impressive, I must say.

Fast forward to February 2019. On a whim decided to try and hear DL-103 on Jelco (never heard that combination before). After fitting Denon DL-103 on Jelco, was immediately struck with much improved presentation. This definitely was not my crusty old DL-103 that was suffering on Rega RB300. This was a real powerhouse cart, with loads of fine details, stunning realistic textures and timbres, and mouth-gaping enormity of a soundstage!

OK, so the question: while silicone damping oil definitely made a big positive impact on Ortofon OM20, does DL-103 also benefit from damping, or should I try emptying the Jelco chamber and allowing it to vibrate more lively?

AJSki2fly
28-02-2019, 06:22
As I understand it the damping oil is there to limit tonearm vibrations which if occurring will upset the vibrations that should be going up the stylus cantilever
from the stylus. So not sure that just changing the cartridge would mean you would not need the damping oil.

Why not change the cartridge and then see how it sounds with the damping oil in the arm. If you don’t like it the remove the oil and see if it’s improved.

I have an SME IV with a damping trough (it was a special order virtually a V) and as I have never used damping oil have often wondered if it would improve sound. I might try it soon just to find out.

karma67
28-02-2019, 17:00
it worked to great effect on my rock 2 turntable,give it a try,if its too thick though it will rob the top end.