PDA

View Full Version : BritBox

Spectral Morn
27-02-2019, 11:57
So a service that has been trading in USA for awhile will now be available in the UK, with a tweaked service for our market. This on the face of it isn't a big deal except its the BBC and ITV and it will be a paid service, Netflix pricing at a guess as its aimed at NetFlix customers.

First thoughts are that Netflix will probably loose BBC content, I wasn't aware there was any, but seems there is. Second thought is BBC and ITV content which is available on iPlayer and ITV Hub will maybe be there so, doubling up on the service that TV Licence payers have paid for and through that licence fee have access to already. So BritBox will require payment for content licence payers have paid for already.

Now if BritBox is available as a stand alone service that anyone can pay for that does not have a licence, because they are not watching live TV, that could be an interesting proposition, but I suspect BritBox will require subscribers to have a licence, otherwise people may flock to BritBox to avoid the TV Licence fee.

Now avoiding the TV licence to get BBC/ITV content legally via BritBox will rob the BBC of a lot of revenue. Bit of an own goal in the making I think.

ianlenco
27-02-2019, 13:31
This has just been on the BBC news. Apparently the cost will be £5. Also it will have content that has dropped off iPlayer or ITV hub - the content there is time limited now. I suppose the argument about already paid through licence fee is valid but then if you want to see older stuff you probably have to go to one of the paid for streaming services anyway.

willbewill
27-02-2019, 13:34
I expect they'll move the box sets from iPlayer over to the new platform

Spectral Morn
27-02-2019, 13:53
I expect they'll move the box sets from iPlayer over to the new platform

Nods.

Time will tell.

stairpost
27-02-2019, 19:02
So a service that has been trading in USA for awhile will now be available in the UK, with a tweaked service for our market. This on the face of it isn't a big deal except its the BBC and ITV and it will be a paid service, Netflix pricing at a guess as its aimed at NetFlix customers.

First thoughts are that Netflix will probably loose BBC content, I wasn't aware there was any, but seems there is. Second thought is BBC and ITV content which is available on iPlayer and ITV Hub will maybe be there so, doubling up on the service that TV Licence payers have paid for and through that licence fee have access to already. So BritBox will require payment for content licence payers have paid for already.

Now if BritBox is available as a stand alone service that anyone can pay for that does not have a licence, because they are not watching live TV, that could be an interesting proposition, but I suspect BritBox will require subscribers to have a licence, otherwise people may flock to BritBox to avoid the TV Licence fee.

Now avoiding the TV licence to get BBC/ITV content legally via BritBox will rob the BBC of a lot of revenue. Bit of an own goal in the making I think.

I was wondering about that myself. You can't legally use BBC iPlayer without a licence, even if you are not watching live content. So to need a licence and to then have to pay a subscription fee for the new service, really does seem like charging people twice for the same output.

AJSki2fly
27-02-2019, 19:33
I was wondering about that myself. You can't legally use BBC iPlayer without a licence, even if you are not watching live content. So to need a licence and to then have to pay a subscription fee for the new service, really does seem like charging people twice for the same output.

I might be wrong but at one time I think you could not use BBC iPlayer when abroad due to licensing issues. I believe this no longer applies to BBC Radio stations as loads listen from abroad, but not sure about TV. Maybe it's a move to make BBC and ITV programmes more available across the world.

willbewill
27-02-2019, 19:34
I might be wrong but at one time I think you could not use BBC iPlayer when abroad due to licensing issues. I believe this no longer applies to BBC Radio stations as loads listen from abroad, but not sure about TV. Maybe it's a move to make BBC and ITV programmes more available across the world.Can't watch iPlayer in USA

Pigmy Pony
28-02-2019, 15:02
Can't watch iPlayer in USA

Looks like you may be right Adrian - while I have no interest in "Bargain Hunt" box sets, the Americans probably love that sort of thing.

AJSki2fly
28-02-2019, 17:11
Looks like you may be right Adrian - while I have no interest in "Bargain Hunt" box sets, the Americans probably love that sort of thing.

anything to make a buck nowadays on the WorldWideWEB of intrigue

willbewill
28-02-2019, 19:45
Very little I watch on BBC nowadays yet I still have to have a licence! What winds me up more though is the BBC Radio Sounds app etc, I used to be able to catch up on radio shows using iplayer on TV or via LMS Squeezebox but now it's either my phone or laptop, neither of which are connected to HiFi.

ianlenco
28-02-2019, 20:01
If you've got an oldish iPad like me that Apple won't let you upgrade to the latest OS then BBC Sounds won't even install! That's 2 uncaring corporations for the price of one.

willbewill
28-02-2019, 20:08
To continue my rant...does anybody still listen to radio 2 breakfast show or drivetime? They both used to be a quite entertaining listen to/from work but the recent changes have finally killed them for me. Just the occasional listen to the blues show now.

Pigmy Pony
28-02-2019, 22:23
Not mad keen on Zoe Ball, but I still prefer her to Chris Evans. I do like Sara Cox but for me the ideal would be Sara Cox at Breakfast and keep Simon Mayo at teatime.

But I'm a creature of habit so I'll stick with it until they put on someone who really makes my toes curl. Preferable to the alternatives - Radio 1 no thanks, and commercial radio just makes my workday seem longer :(