PDA

View Full Version : The worst digital transfer ever

magiccarpetride
05-05-2010, 19:28
I vote for Frankie Goes to Hollywood "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome" CD. Atrocious!

I used to have this double LP back in the '80s, and remember how lush the production was on that record. The digital transfer to the CD is so pathetic, that I can barely recognize the music.

DSJR
05-05-2010, 21:36
I have a three disc compilation of 2000 era "dance" music which is so overloaded in volume, every track sounds like it's being played by a Denon 103 - apologies (:ner:) - granny's old BSR groove-grinder with a knackered needle.

More recently, the CD album by Sam Sparro sounds loud, dead and monotonous when compared with the Depeche Mode CD's which gave an influence.

goraman
08-05-2010, 20:13
That award would have to go to pirate copiers of Bollywood movies.
Some of these jokers will put three movies each over 3 hours for a totle of 9 hours onto one DVD.
It is a horrable crime.

DSJR
08-05-2010, 21:16
Steve Hillage - "L" original CD, which had terrible distortion. Latest remastered version is superb..

Original release of Tago Mago by Can - the sound had gone through an RIAA pre-eq judging by the lack of bass and screaming top end when compared with the beefy LP release. I understand the Can remasters have corrected this...

Siouxsie & Banshees "Peek-A-Boo" - the 12" mixes of these tracks had bass, perspectives and dynamics. the album mixes on LP and CD were much "smaller" sounding for some reason.

The Fixx "Walkabout" - We Fixx fans waited years for this release, yet the Cd on release sounds awful, with vague "inner" detail compared with the LP, especially if the latter is played with a Decca! The later remasters of Fixx albums are superb..