PDA

View Full Version : WTD Promitheus TVC pre amp

Mikeandvan
22-02-2019, 21:38
WTD Promitheus TVC pre amp.

Light Dependant Resistor
22-02-2019, 21:53
Why ? when there are far better choices to be made. I have heard the TVC model you are choosing
and it was dull and basically boring to listen to IMO and also its owners opinion.

I will PM you a link to read, which might provide some insight.

walpurgis
22-02-2019, 22:29
I think Mike may intend to use it with his Quad 306. It's an effective combination.

Light Dependant Resistor
22-02-2019, 22:43
I also use the Quad 306 - one power amp per channel, so I am advising from direct experience that there are far better alternatives to the TVC
when using the 306

southall-1998_mk2
22-02-2019, 22:48
I also use the Quad 306 - one power amp per channel, so I am advising from direct experience that there are far better alternatives to the TVC
when using the 306

People have different listening tastes!!

S.

Light Dependant Resistor
22-02-2019, 22:50
Agreed, the best thing to do would be to hear each.

walpurgis
22-02-2019, 22:54
when using the 306

There may be better combinations, but I have that particular pairing right in front of me at the moment and they're sounding very good together.

Mikeandvan
22-02-2019, 23:49
We have to remember people will be hearing the same component in different systems, different rooms etc. I have a little bear passive on the way, god knows when it will arrive! I don't expect it to be a keeper at only £25, and I am getting impatient for its arrival. May'be there isn't a whole lot of difference between passive pres, may'be there is!! TBH at the moment I would welcome almost any passive that I don't have to wait ages for so I can finally hear this 306!! Then I want to sort out my system good and proper.

walpurgis
22-02-2019, 23:57
I have the Little Bear and with the standard 20K pot the volume advance is too abrupt for the sensitivity of the 306. Don't get me wrong, the Little Bear may be cheap, but with most power amps it works well and sounds very decent. The Promitheus has volume steps and advance that suit the 306 perfectly.

The alternative is to change a couple of inexpensive resistors to make the 306 less sensitive, which is what I'm doing shortly, once my ordered bits arrive.

Mikeandvan
23-02-2019, 00:22
I have the Little Bear and with the standard 20K pot the volume advance is too abrupt for the sensitivity of the 306. Don't get me wrong, the Little Bear may be cheap, but with most power amps it works well and sounds very decent. The Promitheus has volume steps and advance that suit the 306 perfectly.

The alternative is to change a couple of inexpensive resistors to make the 306 less sensitive, which is what I'm doing shortly, once my ordered bits arrive.

Thanks Geoff, I've heard it mentioned a lot that changing the 306's input sensitivity is very easy.

keith1962
23-02-2019, 07:59
We have to remember people will be hearing the same component in different systems, different rooms etc. I have a little bear passive on the way, god knows when it will arrive! I don't expect it to be a keeper at only £25, and I am getting impatient for its arrival. May'be there isn't a whole lot of difference between passive pres, may'be there is!! TBH at the moment I would welcome almost any passive that I don't have to wait ages for so I can finally hear this 306!! Then I want to sort out my system good and proper.I have a brand new Tisbury still in box somewhere from a project that didn't progress. I will sell that if it suits your needs?
KR
Keith.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pepperamip
23-02-2019, 09:06
Mike ive used the tisbury and 306 together with great results. If its the newer version itll have a tweakable 2nd output from underneath.....very handy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk