PDA

View Full Version : Stan's new speaker switch (TC-7220) ?

Peter Galbavy
05-05-2010, 10:18
Looks like Stan has snuck this past us - or me at any rate:

http://www.beresford.me/products/TC-7220.html

Care to share more info Stan ? At £50 it looks like a good deal :)

StanleyB
05-05-2010, 16:33
I have been so busy modifying my web site that I completely forgot to mention the TC-7220 :doh:. Thanks for the introduction Peter :).

Well I got fed up swapping over amps and speakers when testing my DACs, and decided to buy a high quality one instead. Unfortunately the only ones I could find had cheap speaker connectors, couldn't take two amps, and technical construction was nothing short of disgraceful. There was no way I was going to connect my equipment to anything of that sort of poor quality.

So I ended up designing my own, using the best material I could get hold of at not to high a cost. I had to make at least 100 pieces in order to get some of the parts made up. That includes those lovely speakers sockets, the 2mm thick solid steel case, specially selected OFC high current wiring, and switches rated at 40 amp and at least 10K presses without failure.

Each TC-7220 is hand built and individually tested. Because of the high current capability of many power amps, I use the far more expensive silver solder. The reason for that is because silver solder has a far higher melting point compared to the standard lead free solder.

The actual price I should be selling them at is more like £150, judging by the ones similar to mine that I eventually found on a US website. But I am not making them for profit. Rather, I am sure many more people have a need for a high quality speaker switch.

I am even prepared to match in price any other speaker switch of the same functionality and quality if you can find it cheaper anywhere in the world. And my usual guarantee applies: if you can find any other speaker switch within one month of buying mine that outperforms mine in terms of SQ and build quality, and at a similar or lower price, you can have a refund.

Spectral Morn
05-05-2010, 16:56
Finally someone has filled this particular hole in the market. This will allow a hifi amplifier and an AV amplifier to be used together with one set of front speakers, as well as the way Stan has been using it.

Before I went down the road of having two systems in the living room I had looked for something like this but I could not find one. The previous QED and Ixos one's having been discontinued....though they would not have been up to this quality. Nice one Stan.

Regards D S D L

StanleyB
05-05-2010, 17:01
Hi Neil, if you got the time to test one out for an impartial view, PM me your address and I'll put one in the post for you on my way to the polling booth tomorrow.

Spectral Morn
05-05-2010, 17:10
Hi Neil, if you got the time to test one out for an impartial view, PM me your address and I'll put one in the post for you on my way to the polling booth tomorrow.

No problem Stan

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
08-05-2010, 14:29

Unit arrived quickly, next day. Thank you Stan.

Regards D S D L

Themis
08-05-2010, 20:53
This is an excellent idea, Stan. I was like you, desperately looking for such a unit. ;)

Rare Bird
10-05-2010, 10:41
I could do with one of those. Only thing i'm a bit worried about is will the box tip back slightly with a fully loaded back pannel?

StanleyB
10-05-2010, 11:13
I could do with one of those. Only thing i'm a bit worried about is will the box tip back slightly with a fully loaded back pannel?
It stays put with the 330 strands cable I use. But hopefully Neil will be able to give his findings on that once he has tested the unit.

Rare Bird
10-05-2010, 11:34
Ok Stan thanks just that i'm using Chrord 'Carnival' Silver Screen which is very bulky & heavy

Spectral Morn
10-05-2010, 17:40
Ok Stan thanks just that i'm using Chrord 'Carnival' Silver Screen which is very bulky & heavy

I can use Atlas Marvos and QED Genesis but more than likely it will be Audio Spec Latitude as I have enough to cover all the things I need to hook up to keep the cabling the same through out.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
13-05-2010, 17:50
I'll conduct equiry via PM

aquapiranha
13-05-2010, 20:09
Nice one Stan, as Neil says there really are not many of these things around, at least not good quality ones like this. I am sure it will be a success!