PDA

View Full Version : Hola from Austin, Texas

musicmatters
05-05-2010, 01:30
That's hola and not holla, by the way!

I've been lurking since last August, so it's about time I introduced myself. I'm a committed vinyl junkie, in combination with being an electronics hobbyist and being a cheapskate. The exception to my, ahem, frugality, is my habitual vinyl purchases, as I can't ever have enough of the stuff. Come to think of it, most of those purchases are used, too. My girlfriend once asked if she thought my having some shelves-full of records was enough. I laughed. She now understands. My audio gear is mostly used and mostly heavily modded.

As I've gotten older, one thing that has made a forceful impression on me in audio is that it's all about the system as a whole, with minor changes often having huge synergistic effects, for better or worse. We all hear differently and bring different expectations to our listening sessions, and that's before anything electronic/mechanical is turned on! I recognize a certain Flat Earth kinship, which is explicitly expressed in the Ethos thread(s). If I'm off-base here in my interpretation, it wouldn't be the first time.

I lived in Holland for five years as a teen, so I've visited most western European countries, though I prefer traveling in Asia these days; I like cooking and eating; love cycling (sold my two-year-old car last year--yes some Texans don't fit some stereotypes. :rolleyes: I read too much/not enough. I pay the rent by doing sysadmin functions during the day. The last thing I want to do when pouring a glass of beer/wine and preparing to hear some recorded music is dealing with anything digital! :cool:

One reason I enjoy checking out AoS is that I find that there are like-minded people who have quirky and independent tastes in music. I am not a fan of "audiophile classics" like the risible Jazz at the Pawnshop. I like anything from Built to Spill to Elvis Costello (early stuff) to Miles Davis to James Brown to (some) Sun Ra to Lutosławski to Can to gamelan to highlife to shakuhachi flute to norteņos to conjunto--you get the picture.

Okay, enough of the prolix jibber-jabberin'!

--Alan

Barry
05-05-2010, 11:35
........ I like anything from Built to Spill to Elvis Costello (early stuff) to Miles Davis to James Brown to (some) Sun Ra to Lutosławski to Can to gamelan to highlife to shakuhachi flute to norteņos to conjunto

Alan

Welcome to AoS Alan. With musical tastes like that, you're a man after my own heart!

Would be interested to hear more about the equipment you use and some photos would be nice if you can manage that. Don't worry if you can't; I've been here 15 months and have yet to provide any pictures.

Enjoy the forum

Regards

Stratmangler
05-05-2010, 13:19
Howdy Alan

Welcome to AoS.
Austin had a reputation for buzzing with live music.
Is this still true ?
I'm thinking of the late, great Stevie Ray, and also Eric Johnson here.