PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Anyone got a nice old retro cassette deck lying around?

Phil Bishop
08-02-2019, 16:57
Hi Chaps,

I may be mad but for some bizarre reason I fancy trying cassettes again. Ostensively, I can justify this by claiming to be building a nice little retro system for my daughter but, of course, that's somewhat of a ruse :-)

Ideally, I'd like a 70's/80's model with meters to take me back to my Uni days and the mixtapes that sustained me but that's not essential. Looking on Gumtree, eBay, etc there's loads for sale but ideally I'd want one that I knew had been looked after and worked properly hence my asking here. It would not surprise me if there is a member, or more likely members, with several decks stored away in the cupboard or attic.

Thanks for your consideration all.

Phil

Firebottle
08-02-2019, 17:10
I have a Technics RS-271 but it needs attention.
I will have a look at it next week.

Phil Bishop
08-02-2019, 17:13
I have a Technics RS-271 but it needs attention.
I will have a look at it next week.

Thanks Alan - just googled it - now that's retro! :)

robpark9
08-02-2019, 17:32
No vu meters but reliable Sony :) tc-k555es

Jason P
08-02-2019, 20:10
Denon DRM-44HX. Good nick, nice condition, no marks. I think I even have instructions somewhere.

dave2010
08-02-2019, 21:16
No vu meters but reliable Sony :) tc-k555es
I think that’s my model too - was brilliant. Not ready to part with it yet - sorry. My dad had a Sherwood model which was also very good - indeed slightly better for some big orchestral music. Unfortunately that got “lost”.

If Rob’s willing to part with his Sony it should be very good as long as it’s in good condition. You should find it’s almost impossible to distinguish between CDs and CDs recorded on that machine - even despite the measurements.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/tc-k555es.shtml

Phil Bishop
08-02-2019, 23:00
Thanks chaps, I have dropped Rob a note and I believe he's looking it out. Sounds like it would fit the bill nicely if it works OK and he is OK to part with it.