PDA

View Full Version : The Brexit effect on HiFi?

CageyH
02-02-2019, 08:56
(Disclaimer: This is a bit of a tongue in cheek post to get away from the current farce that is the I portance of Brexit during the skiing holidays. You don’t have to read it if you don’t want to.....)

Out of interest, has anybody thought about the implications of Brexit on their HiFi?
Once the Brexit deadline passes, and after the adjustment period EU law will no longer be applicable in the U.K., as British law will stand. Does that also mean that the use of European standard plugs will not be allowed? They won’t me British regulations, so will your HiFi sound worse as you are “obliged” to change your plugs back to BS approved plugs.

Will that mean I will have a large choice of second hand power leads at cheap prices, as they will become worthless? :eyebrows:

nonuffin
02-02-2019, 09:00
I just hope that there won't be a raft of import taxes imposed and huge customs delays when buying kit from the EU countries, as there is some super gear being made in Germany and Poland to name just two.

CageyH
02-02-2019, 09:42
I have the same thoughts, but about stuff from the “United” Kingdom.

struth
02-02-2019, 09:48
it really should go back to what it was supposed to be.. a trade alliance. ive no problem with free temporary movement(within reason) either. Permanent movement should be by application tho. I might add im not a brexiteer.:lol:

Macca
02-02-2019, 10:02
Electrical safety regs are unlikely to change, the EU laws are already duplicated in English law anyway.

Import tariffs are a different matter, anything made in Europe and shipped here might have duty on it in the future. Should make British built kit look more competitively priced in its home market though and encourage more British based manufacturing so every cloud has a silver lining.

CageyH
02-02-2019, 10:38
True, but it may make British HiFi more expensive, and less competitive in the European market.
I wonder how much kit in the U.K. is exported to the EU market as a percentage of the manufacturers total sales volume?

Macca
02-02-2019, 11:31
True, but it may make British HiFi more expensive, and less competitive in the European market.

No question about it. If we tax them they'll tax us. It's all swings and roundabouts this economics malarkey. If euro is strong against sterling that would be offset to some extent though.

hifinutt
02-02-2019, 12:51
the brexit effect on hi fi for me is i am 1] very cautious about buying european kit that needs support from eu dealers i.e italian etc

2] extremely nervous about interest rate rises which could increase mortgage costs and therefore much less disposable income for hi fi

CageyH
02-02-2019, 13:30
Here in France, the interest rate on a mortgage is fixed for the entire term of the mortgage.

My other concern would be the increased cost of living as some imported goods will be more expensive.

hifinutt
02-02-2019, 13:48
my word , fixed for whole time . so if you take out a mortgage at 5 % and rates reduce to 2 % you are stuck with your rate of 5% ?

here we tend to have new deals every 2-5 years to fix rates

CageyH
02-02-2019, 13:51
It is up to you to renegotiate if that happens.
However, if you have a low rate, then you are laughing. You know your monthly costs don't change much.

paulf-2007
02-02-2019, 14:56
No question about it. If we tax them they'll tax us. It's all swings and roundabouts this economics malarkey. If euro is strong against sterling that would be offset to some extent though.so it's the common man that suffers wherever they are, no change there then.

Marco
02-02-2019, 15:16
What concerns me more is not the effect of Brexit on hi-fi, but importing wine from France and Italy!

We're going on holiday to Italy this year, taking the car with us, through France and Switzerland, and always bring back a shed-load of food and wine (which has normally been much cheaper over there, than in the UK), so after Brexit, how much more expensive will it be...?:hmm:

One thing we're doing, to save some hassle, is Del's going to apply for a German passport, which she should get, as her dad was German. I've already got an Italian one, and if we both have non-British passports (as well as of course our British ones), then it should make things easier for us traveling around the EU:cool:

Marco.

dave2010
02-02-2019, 15:41
One thing we're doing, to save some hassle, is Del's going to apply for a German passport, which she should get, as her dad was German. I've already got an Italian one, and if we both have non-British passports (as well as of course our British ones), then it should make things easier for us traveling around Europe:cool:

Marco.Lucky you two! This used to work for Brits living in the USA - have a US passport and a UK one - but I'm not sure if it causes hiccups now with the "need" to show a passport to the airlines at either end. As I recall, strictly speaking the USA requires other passports to be surrendered (or am I wrong ....?), so that the US officials might get a bit officious if they found people had more than one passport.

I don't think the UK insists on this rule.

The thinking about having two passports was that it would speed up progress through immigration at either end - providing one remembered which one to use.

Doesn't help much for wine or other alcoholic drinks these days, as can't really take much by air now.

StanleyB
02-02-2019, 15:41
Out of interest, has anybody thought about the implications of Brexit on their HiFi?
Once the Brexit deadline passes, and after the adjustment period EU law will no longer be applicable in the U.K., as British law will stand. Does that also mean that the use of European standard plugs will not be allowed? They won’t me British regulations, so will your HiFi sound worse as you are “obliged” to change your plugs back to BS approved plugs.
In the UK even the HiFi stuff has UK plugs, not the mainland EU type. The UK plug is actually superior to the general EU type.

Edward
02-02-2019, 15:42
Electrical safety regs are unlikely to change, the EU laws are already duplicated in English law anyway.

Import tariffs are a different matter, anything made in Europe and shipped here might have duty on it in the future. Should make British built kit look more competitively priced in its home market though and encourage more British based manufacturing so every cloud has a silver lining.

Will the UK be obliged to impose import duties on EU exports to the UK? If so under what rules?

I understand that UK exports to the EU, in the event of a 'no deal', may have duties imposed by the EU.

I also understand, under WTO rules, that if we choose to impose duties on anything then we have to apply the same duties regardless of origin. But it is a choice that the UK has to make items more expensive for UK consumers (for example to protect weak or sensitive sectors).

Macca
02-02-2019, 15:50
Will the UK be obliged to impose import duties on EU exports to the UK?

As I understand it there's no obligation for a host country to charge duty on anything. Even if there were you could get round it by just not enforcing it.

walpurgis
02-02-2019, 16:26
I wonder if we can look forward to electronics imports that are properly designed to work at a real 240 volts. Fat chance I expect!

CageyH
02-02-2019, 16:39
In the UK even the HiFi stuff has UK plugs, not the mainland EU type. The UK plug is actually superior to the general EU type.

In what way is it superior?

willbewill
02-02-2019, 18:33
In what way is it superior?

https://www.fastcompany.com/3032807/why-england-has-the-best-wall-sockets-on-earth

CageyH
02-02-2019, 19:55
Oh yes, it is bulky and has a fuse. Much better.

Barry
02-02-2019, 23:56
https://www.fastcompany.com/3032807/why-england-has-the-best-wall-sockets-on-earth

Link doesn't work for me - it only pops up for a second or two, before disappearing.

DSJR
03-02-2019, 09:59
One thing not mentioned is that UK manufacturers often have to import or buy imported raw materials.components.

One well known UK speaker manufacturer seemingly was very concerned over Brexit as he exports most of his production (90% or more I gather) and imports a lot of the 'stuff' that goes into making them up despite making their own bass-mid drivers (I suspect the chassis', magnets, coils etc come from out of the UK), even 'reminding' his staff of this this when the referendum was nigh. It's a successful business and I'm sure he'd hate to see it fall away due to already high pricing being subject to extra tarrifs on his exports and more expensive imported parts.

Macca
03-02-2019, 10:13
One thing not mentioned is that UK manufacturers often have to import or buy imported raw materials.components.

One well known UK speaker manufacturer seemingly was very concerned over Brexit as he exports most of his production (90% or more I gather) and imports a lot of the 'stuff' that goes into making them up despite making their own bass-mid drivers (I suspect the chassis', magnets, coils etc come from out of the UK), even 'reminding' his staff of this this when the referendum was nigh. It's a successful business and I'm sure he'd hate to see it fall away due to already high pricing being subject to extra tarrifs on his exports and more expensive imported parts.

Do they import the 'raw materials' from the EU though? If not then nothing will change for them regardless, there will already be import tariffs on them (unless they get them from South Korea).

Gaz
04-02-2019, 14:02
The effect on hifi?

There will be no hifi.

Don't you watch the news?
A no deal Brexit will bring 40 years of famine, plague, and pestilence, real biblical holocaust style, all that will be left is a Mad Max style wasteland inhabited by nothing but cockroaches.

It must be true, the BBC said so and they're unbiased

Gaz
04-02-2019, 14:08
Won't effect me even if we do somehow survive
Amp and CDP are Japanese
Speakers are British

No EU made stuff for me apart from my turntable and I wouldn't replace that if it broke

struth
04-02-2019, 14:25
most of mine bar my tt and my speakers that are homebuilt, is far east. not sure where the zbook is made but its components will be from over there. dunno where the nuraphones are made, but its an Aussie company. even the quad vena2 is china now.

paulf-2007
04-02-2019, 16:57
Speakers American, tt and amp Japanese, anyhoo, Dave my tech guy can fix anything.

rdpx
06-02-2019, 00:12
We're going on holiday to Italy this year, taking the car with us, through France and Switzerland, and always bring back a shed-load of food and wine (which has normally been much cheaper over there, than in the UK), so after Brexit, how much more expensive will it be...?:hmm:

You should bear in mind that as well as any extra costs involved due to tariffs and the weak pound we might also have to contend with the old GOODS TO DECLARE lane at customs.

If limits are to be the same as they are currently for entry from non-EU countries that would limit you and Del to 4 litres of wine each, which is just 10.6 bottles.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Marco
06-02-2019, 00:18
Yeah mate, that would be right shite!:rolleyes:

We shall see what transpires in due course...

Marco.

Jimbo
06-02-2019, 07:10
When I see how many Lorrys turn up with raw materials for our factory from Europe, which I would say is about 90%, I only hope that they are simply waived off the ferry and not hindered on their journey. We only need one material to get held up and production stops. We had issues a few years back where raw materials were not turning up and I think we were a few weeks away from liquidation!

The knock on effect of none supply of goods is dramatic in terms of costs so not only do we get fined we also don't get paid for products and so the snowball effect gathers pace!

walpurgis
06-02-2019, 09:53
The potential effects of the forthcoming departure from the EU are being blow up out of proportion in my view. There are a huge number of European run businesses in the UK and EU businesses that trade all the time with us. They'll kick up an almighty stink if it's not 'business as usual' after our membership ends. I actually think that we won't see much obvious change.

rdpx
06-02-2019, 11:16
They'll kick up an almighty stink if it's not 'business as usual' after our membership ends. I actually think that we won't see much obvious change.

It does really make one wonder what all the fuss is about over EU membership if it doesn't make any difference.

CageyH
06-02-2019, 12:30
It will make a difference. It is just a question of when it starts.

Macca
06-02-2019, 13:09
Stuff coming into UK won't be an issue, if they get a backlog they can just wave it through. Stuff going from here to Europe is where the problems (if any) will lie. Especially if the French decide to be difficult about it. Which they probably will given they have a track record for it even when we were in the EU.

But that seems to be more of a problem for those in the EU waiting on our supplies, not the other way round. Given they ship a lot more in to us than we ship out to them I'd suggest that the problem (in the event of no deal) will be mostly theirs to deal with.

Everyone overlooks the fact that goods coming from China already require customs clearance, and duty and VAT to be paid - and yet the shops are full of Chinese-made goods. Same with Taiwan, Malaysia, Japan, Indonesia....

As someone who works in import/export logistics it's my opinion that it's a storm in a teacup. Would also note that neither I nor any of my colleagues have had any of the business we deal with raise any issues at all with us about what is going to happen post Brexit. It just isn't a serious concern.

Marco
06-02-2019, 13:35
It just isn't a serious concern.

It is, old boy, when one's stocks of burgundy and claret are running dangerously low. The very thought of boeuf bourguignon, without Nuits-Saint-Georges, borders on savagery.

Marco.

Edward
06-02-2019, 13:46
It is, old boy, when one's stocks of burgundy and claret are running dangerously low.

Marco.

Why is that a concern Marco? The UK govt have said they will not impose anything in the case of no deal and I doubt the French govt will impose restrictions on their exports to the UK.

Marco
06-02-2019, 14:30
What Robert said earlier, if implemented, would be a major issue:

You should bear in mind that as well as any extra costs involved due to tariffs and the weak pound we might also have to contend with the old GOODS TO DECLARE lane at customs.

If limits are to be the same as they are currently for entry from non-EU countries that would limit you and Del to 4 litres of wine each, which is just 10.6 bottles.

We usually bring back about five times that amount, especially if visiting some vineyards, en-route!:eek:

Marco.

Edward
06-02-2019, 14:31
Oh dear, yes that would be a problem. :)

Marco
06-02-2019, 14:41
Indeed, old chap - it would jolly well be a travesty.

Marco.

rdpx
06-02-2019, 14:54
Stuff coming into UK won't be an issue, if they get a backlog they can just wave it through.

Taking back control of our borders!

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

montesquieu
06-02-2019, 15:00
The effect on hifi?

There will be no hifi.

Don't you watch the news?
A no deal Brexit will bring 40 years of famine, plague, and pestilence, real biblical holocaust style, all that will be left is a Mad Max style wasteland inhabited by nothing but cockroaches.

It must be true, the BBC said so and they're unbiased

Lol you beat me to it. And don’t forget the asteroid strikes.

walpurgis
06-02-2019, 15:03

Yup. I think we should build a wall along the south coast and ask Trump to get the Mexicans to pay for it! :eek:

Macca
06-02-2019, 16:06

It's people that were the problem, not stuff. Right to work, that sort of thing. No-one voted for Brexit because they wanted a clampdown on the charging of duty and VAT at Dover.

paulf-2007
06-02-2019, 16:24
Yup. I think we should build a wall along the south coast and ask Trump to get the Mexicans to pay for it! :eek:
The Mexicans are upset about the wall but said they'll get over it.

rdpx
06-02-2019, 16:26
It's people that were the problem, not stuff. Right to work, that sort of thing. No-one voted for Brexit because they wanted a clampdown on the charging of duty and VAT at Dover.That's a very good point, Martin.

Sounds like it will all be fine then.

Marco
06-02-2019, 17:04
As long as I can get my claret, the world is good:)

Marco.

CageyH
06-02-2019, 17:33
I think the French will be awkward. Why shouldn’t they be?
I am sure that they will push freight going to the U.K. through at the ports giving the U.K. the problem of letting it go through if they so wish. Freight coming into France is likely to be disrupted with the motorways leading to the ports effectively becoming car parks.

struth
06-02-2019, 17:39
I am sure that they will push freight going to the U.K. through at the ports giving the U.K. the problem of letting it go through if they so wish. Freight coming into France is likely to be disrupted with the motorways leading to the ports effectively becoming car parks.

two could play that game of course, depending if supplies can be sourced elsewhere.. the whole thing just becomes more childish by the day

CageyH
06-02-2019, 17:42
They are not the ones doing a Brexit.
They love their processes and will be quite happy to work to rule and collect any customs duties from the associated imports if no agreement is struck. Why would you want to deliberately lose money?

walpurgis
06-02-2019, 17:45

Because they have billions invested in business here?

struth
06-02-2019, 17:47
They are not the ones doing a Brexit.
They love their processes and will be quite happy to work to rule and collect any customs duties from the associated imports if no agreement is struck. Why would you want to deliberately lose money?As I say it's all childish and on both sides. These things usually lead to war becoming closer.
And Scotland didn't vote for brexit either.

CageyH
06-02-2019, 17:55
As I say it's all childish and on both sides. These things usually lead to war becoming closer.
And Scotland didn't vote for brexit either.

Unfortunately, until independence is granted to Scotland, you are stuck with the majority.

CageyH
06-02-2019, 17:56
Because they have billions invested in business here?

But how much do they export from those businesses?

walpurgis
06-02-2019, 18:00
But how much do they export from those businesses?

I wasn't specifically referring to exports. Look at the French involvement in utilities and communications for instance. They need the goodwill!

rdpx
06-02-2019, 18:08
Because they have billions invested in business here?Sir Ivan Rogers gave a talk at UCL a couple of weeks ago and one of the bits I recall speaks about economic interests, and how they had seemingly disappeared from consideration:

"Suddenly, you are dealing with a UK elite
which seems not to be deriving its negotiating positions from any analysis you recognise
or remember of the UK’s vital national economic interests."

CageyH
06-02-2019, 18:09
I don’t think they do. Annoy them, and they cut off your phone/electricity.

Who is going to get upset?

I just hope that the Government manage to get a deal, but I fear that the bunch of clowns are only in it for their own interests and what makes them and their wealthy pals better off.

Barry
06-02-2019, 18:18
It is, old boy, when one's stocks of burgundy and claret are running dangerously low. The very thought of boeuf bourguignon, without Nuits-Saint-Georges, borders on savagery.

Marco.

Yes - I'm down to my last 60 bottles of claret, and have no burgandy left whatsoever! :eek:

Macca
06-02-2019, 18:22
Just realised my 'speakers are French, do you think I'll have to get a license for them or something?

Pre-amp was built in Britain, don't know if all the parts are UK though. Power amp is American. CD player Japanese. If I could get a German tuner, an Italian turntable and a Russian something or other I'd have all the major WW2 Axis and Allied powers represented.

walpurgis
06-02-2019, 18:23
Annoy them, and they cut off your phone/electricity

They'd hardly cut their own throats financially by defaulting on contracted services.

Marco
06-02-2019, 18:32
Yes - I'm down to my last 60 bottles of claret, and have no burgandy left whatsoever! :eek:

I know it's almost unthinkable, but we could be forced into drinking some vulgar dirge from the New World!

Marco.

walpurgis
06-02-2019, 18:45
I know it's almost unthinkable, but we could be forced into drinking some vulgar dirge from the New World!

Marco.

Treat yourself to some Blue Nun mate. :D

rdpx
06-02-2019, 18:46
They'd hardly cut their own throats financially (...)

[emoji636][emoji378]

CageyH
06-02-2019, 18:51
I don’t think the EU27 are in a difficult position.
What are they losing?

Marco
06-02-2019, 18:56
Treat yourself to some Blue Nun mate. :D

Ha - I heard you've got some quality creosote in the shed!

Marco.

struth
06-02-2019, 18:57
What are they losing?Sure they are losing a lot or they wouldn't be playing silly buggers

CageyH
06-02-2019, 19:00
They have negotiated a deal, and refuse to change it as they have a good deal and are intent on making an example of the UK to put other countries off from doing the same thing.

Marco
06-02-2019, 19:02

I've always preferred the ECC83.

Marco.

CageyH
06-02-2019, 19:04
I have always preferred a good Côtés du Rhône, but each to their own.

Crackles
08-02-2019, 19:14
https://www.whathifi.com/news/industry-voices-concerns-over-uk-safety-mark-in-event-of-no-deal-brexit?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1141&utm_content=What+Hi-Fi%3F+Newsletter+08_02_19+&utm_term=

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Gaz
08-02-2019, 21:00
https://www.whathifi.com/news/industry-voices-concerns-over-uk-safety-mark-in-event-of-no-deal-brexit?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1141&utm_content=What+Hi-Fi%3F+Newsletter+08_02_19+&utm_term=

Why do people take any notice of these invented complications and their illogical ramifications?

Whatever the EU standard is simply becomes the British standard after Brexit, believe it or not we used to import electronics from abroad before the EU standard came along.

Even IF we wouldn't accept the EU standard marking anymore does anybody actually believe that manufacturers will lose the UK business over it? I don't know how much our market is worth but I bet it's substantial

alphaGT
10-02-2019, 12:37

Marco.

As some friends of mine do, when you reach your destination, buy up all the wine you like, and have it shipped UPS to your house! The store you buy at will quite often take care of it for you. No carrying bottles on the plane.

Here in the US only a few states have recreational marijuana sales. In VA where I live it’s still completely illegal. But people I know fly to Colorado and shop for their favorites, and the store ships it back to them UPS right to their door in VA. Sounds illegal? Probably is. But unlike the US post office, UPS really doesn’t care what’s in the box.

If you order from Italy while in the UK, they’ll have to charge you the tax, but if you buy it in Italy, and then ship, well that’s different.

Just my two cents. The EU has a lot of dead weight. It is likely that once separate from the EU, the Sterling will do quite well, while the Euro will flounder further. A stronger currency always gives better buying power.

Russ

montesquieu
10-02-2019, 14:06

Classic Remoaner knickers in a twist about something that will never actually be an issue. Its highly unlikely there will ever be divergence on these matters and the industry knows this. Still the news media loves a good vested interest whinge dressed up as a ‘warning’.