PDA

View Full Version : Completely Tapped

Haselsh1
31-01-2019, 12:25
Sue and I have been using our current system since 1st March 2018 which includes Spendor S3/5R2 speakers connected via the 4 Ohm output on the power amp. Yesterday we decided to swap over to the 8 Ohm output just for the hell of it. The result is a completely transformed sound. Sharper treble with way more detail, more dynamic, forceful sound and much more potent. Also, I have been whinging and whining about a stereo imbalance between the Spendors and came to the conclusion that it must be the room. Having swapped over every possibility I realised I hadn't actually altered the angles of the speakers. These speakers in our room must not be toed in towards the listening seat. Without any toe in the stereo is nicely balanced and located exactly where I would expect it to be. So, two bonuses in one.

I was always told that if your speakers dipped down below 8 Ohms then you must use the 4 Ohm speaker tap. This is clearly not the case here. Using the 4 Ohm output the sound is incredibly valve-y, warm, rolled off and quite flat. The 8 Ohm output though may prove to be fatiguing in the long term. Less than 24 hours later I can't really give a definite opinion. At least I have the ability to choose.

;)

southall-1998_mk2
31-01-2019, 12:28
Interesting.

S.

struth
31-01-2019, 12:32
6.2 ohm minimum, nominal 8 ohm, so 8 ohm tap is most likely the best i think

Ali Tait
31-01-2019, 15:15
No harm using either, just use the one that sounds best.

Clive197
07-02-2019, 17:35
Spendors are set up to use the 8 Ohm output of an amplifier.