PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone!

ss-7200
27-01-2019, 22:26
Hello all,

My name is David, i am 43, I live in Oxford and work for the university.

I have been handed down an amp (Yamaha AX496), and 4 x Sony ss-7200 speakers.

This was part of my fathers sound system that I grew up listening to.

I like all kinds of music from Pink Floyd, Ralph McTell and Cat Stevens to Stereophonics, Chilli Peppers and Pretty Odd.

The speakers that have been passed down to me are in excellent condition, but I would like to have the grills recovered as a couple of them are a bit tatty. I also have a cat so was thinking metal grills to stop him scratching them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

southall-1998_mk2
27-01-2019, 22:33
Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.

jandl100
28-01-2019, 05:04
Welcome David.

The Sony SS-7200 were my first ever hifi speakers, probably about 45 years ago!

You should probably start a thread about re-covering the grilles in the forum's DIY section - there are lots of experienced folk here who I am sure will be happy to advise.

walpurgis
28-01-2019, 08:20
Hi David. Welcome to AOS.

You should be able to put together a pleasant sounding system around the Yam amp and Sony speakers. Do you have any other gear?

Metal speaker grilles can be tricky, as they tend to buzz and rattle. Personally, I'd go with a good grille cloth.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

ss-7200
28-01-2019, 13:19
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

walpurgis - Many thanks for the welcome. :)

jandl100 - I will have a look and maybe create a thread, I was hoping I might be able to find a company in the UK that could do this for me, I would be devastated if I messed up the speakers by trying to do it myself.

Geoff - At the moment I have my PC/phone sending the audio through a Bluetooth receiver plugged in to the amp, I also have the TV in the front room running through it, it sounds awesome as I have 4 speakers in the corners of the front room, but I'm sure I could get more out of them with some better equipment. I'm struggling to find any kind of paperwork to explain to me what the dials on the speakers do, I'm assuming that they control the tweeter and mid range levels?? I really would prefer to have them recovered in as near to original grill cloth as I could find, but I'm worried the cat will damage them even more so was thinking about some sort of alloy.

Thanks again for all your help! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

MickeyBui
28-01-2019, 15:04
Welcome mate.
And good luck on the hunt.

Mickey.