PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: turntable £150max preferably less

montesquieu
22-01-2019, 00:07
I've just moved on my Garrard 401, while my SP10 won't be ready for a few months yet. So I need a TT for the study for a month or two.

Can be something that needs fettling a bit that's fine. I have cartridges, I have Deoxit, I have linkage grease and bearing oil, I have screwdrivers and don't mind buying a belt off ebay ... but it would at a minimum need a working motor, a freely spinning platter and a working tonearm, preferably with an arm cable that uses RCAs though again I won't rule out one with a DIN plug.

I guess I'm open to more or less anything but I'm probably more interested in something I haven't had in the past... a B&O Beogram of some kind? TD150 or 166? A Dual idler? (Well actually I have had one of these but only briefly and I've have one again). My normal preference would be for a removable headshell but I'm open to fixed one here given the price bracket. Anything funky out there that needs a bit of TLC?

ianlenco
22-01-2019, 12:11
Click on the poster's name and up pops a menu where you can select pm :)

itskeith
22-01-2019, 13:04
Thanks Ian :-)

Wakefield Turntables
22-01-2019, 13:50
Buy a lenco.

WESTLOWER
22-01-2019, 14:01
Buy a lenco.

he's just sold one..

Wakefield Turntables
22-01-2019, 14:42
he's just sold one..

Buy another slightly different one then, no seriously the thorens td150-160 are quite fun.

Non-Smoking Man
22-01-2019, 17:21
I have an AR Legend that Martin has just fettled. Its in vg working order and has a J7 wired Xenon on board. Pics in the other place (you know where..haha..)
Jack
I can bring it up if interested - 'bout time I popped up again..

Liffy99
22-01-2019, 19:25
What about a direct drive JVC ?
Full working condition.
See advert entitled ‘one for the pre millenials.

I've just moved on my Garrard 401, while my SP10 won't be ready for a few months yet. So I need a TT for the study for a month or two.

Can be something that needs fettling a bit that's fine. I have cartridges, I have Deoxit, I have linkage grease and bearing oil, I have screwdrivers and don't mind buying a belt off ebay ... but it would at a minimum need a working motor, a freely spinning platter and a working tonearm, preferably with an arm cable that uses RCAs though again I won't rule out one with a DIN plug.

I guess I'm open to more or less anything but I'm probably more interested in something I haven't had in the past... a B&O Beogram of some kind? TD150 or 166? A Dual idler? (Well actually I have had one of these but only briefly and I've have one again). My normal preference would be for a removable headshell but I'm open to fixed one here given the price bracket. Anything funky out there that needs a bit of TLC?

montesquieu
22-01-2019, 22:25
What about a direct drive JVC ?
Full working condition.
See advert entitled ‘one for the pre millenials.

Saw that. Am pondering a few options at the moment.

itskeith
23-01-2019, 09:23
Mmmm: click on user's name and no facility to send message?
Ohh i get it, because your using mac > safari and things have just stopped working.
Tried Chrome and works fine!

Sent you a message Tom.
Cheers.
Keith

tankertop
23-01-2019, 09:33
Got a mint Pro-Ject Genie 1.3 - in black - with a new belt and an Ortofon Red. Unbelievably good...

montesquieu
23-01-2019, 20:38
Lots of interesting offers from people but in the end I went a bit above budget and plumped for a Technics SL10.

Never had a linear tracker before and novelty really was a driver for me here.

Now need to be looking out for decent P-Mount cartridges.:D

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and apologies for being picky. No doubt the SL10 will end up on here at some future date but in the meantime I'll have had some fund and learned something new (in theory anyway).

graham67
23-01-2019, 22:51
Nice leftfield choice Tom, will be interesting to hear your thoughts. Being an idler fan, it should give you the drive you like. Having now pulled apart a couple of Technics, I can safely say they are built to last.
Graham

tankertop
24-01-2019, 09:44
Lots of interesting offers from people but in the end I went a bit above budget and plumped for a Technics SL10.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and apologies for being picky. No doubt the SL10 will end up on here at some future date but in the meantime I'll have had some fund and learned something new (in theory anyway).

Have had both the SL-10 and SL-7 in the past. Ortofon OMP-10 is a reasonable budget option, albeit a little clinical for my tastes.

Idlewithnodrive
25-01-2019, 21:02

I think you might well be a bit surprised Tom.

I still have an SL-10 and a couple of SL-7 's. I prefer the SL-7 but either are extremely good for the money.