PDA

View Full Version : Extra/Bonus Songs On CD

Macca
21-01-2019, 15:55
Am in the process of duplicating my vinyl albums on CD. Yes, 35 years too late but what can you do? Note I'm duplicating rather than replacing since I can't bring myself to actually sell the vinyl.

Anyway quite a few of the CDs I have bought have either bonus tracks at the end of the standard album or additional ones in the body of the album that due to the playing time constraints of a 12 inch disc were omitted from the vinyl release.

Frankly it's really getting on my tits. These are mostly albums I have owned for 30 plus years and listened to dozens, in some cases hundreds of times. The bonus tracks at the end annoy me because I'm used to how the album used to end. There's a sort of satisfaction you get as the last note dies away, a sense of completion if you will. Now after a 1 second pause another song starts up! Just wrong.

Even worse are the interspersed tracks. I'm used to the songs being in a particular order, how one follows another seems natural and right. For example with Jethro Tull's 'Crest Of A Knave' there are two songs not on the vinyl interspersed with the ones that are. Seriously, this ruins the whole thing for me. I don't mind if there are extended versions of the songs - such as with 'Brothers In Arms', in fact I quite like that. But the interlopers are not welcome!

Is this just me or does anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing if you stream an album it can have all this unwanted tat on it as well?

Pigmy Pony
21-01-2019, 18:28
I don't mind if there are additional tracks at the end- I can either listen to them or stop the CD. But putting extra tracks inside the album - that would bug the shit out of me. I mean, the original album stands as a self-contained body of work and shouldn't be messed with. Like buying a print of Constable's "The Hay Wain", and finding someone's added a Land Rover with a winch :(

Macca
21-01-2019, 21:20
I don't mind if there are additional tracks at the end- I can either listen to them or stop the CD. But putting extra tracks inside the album - that would bug the shit out of me. I mean, the original album stands as a self-contained body of work and shouldn't be messed with. Like buying a print of Constable's "The Hay Wain", and finding someone's added a Land Rover with a winch :(

In the case of the songs in the album they have been there all along - if you got the CD. They just aren't there on the vinyl versions that I'm used to. I can never find the remotes to my cd players either so by the time I've walked down the room to stop the CD the bonus track has started.

struth
21-01-2019, 21:23
Most can be programmed to miss tracks out

Macca
21-01-2019, 21:25
Need to find my remote don't I?

Hidden tracks do me in too. Get distracted by something after the albums finished, next thing you know it blasts out and scares the shit out of you.

struth
21-01-2019, 21:33
Get one of those logitech things. Do everything in house

Macca
21-01-2019, 22:05
Too complicated. I was up to needing 7 remotes at one point which did start to get silly but I've scaled it back to four.

struth
21-01-2019, 22:08
Once set up they are easy enough. Gary has one I think. They are often on offer. I've got 6 remotes upstairs alone. More in living room. I probably should get one

Macca
21-01-2019, 22:20
The first time I ever got a bit of kit that had a remote was 1995 when I bought a CD player. First thing I ever had with a remote was an Hitachi telly I rented in 1994. So never thought it essential, not for the hi-fi anyway.

When VHS came out my father rented the cheapest, crappest machine in the shop. No remote and it ate tapes all the time and we kept having to call the man out to sort it. In the end he caved and rented the next crappy model up and not the Ferguson 'Videostar' that we wanted. 'This one comes with a remote control!' he says.

Turned out the 'remote control' actually required it to be attached to the VCR by a length of cable. Now my father was an intelligent man with a degree in Physics from Manchester University but man, he carried on arguing with my brother that it was a 'remote' control for a good thirty minutes before finally giving in.

Pigmy Pony
22-01-2019, 11:44
The first time I ever got a bit of kit that had a remote was 1995 when I bought a CD player. First thing I ever had with a remote was an Hitachi telly I rented in 1994. So never thought it essential, not for the hi-fi anyway.

When VHS came out my father rented the cheapest, crappest machine in the shop. No remote and it ate tapes all the time and we kept having to call the man out to sort it. In the end he caved and rented the next crappy model up and not the Ferguson 'Videostar' that we wanted. 'This one comes with a remote control!' he says.

Turned out the 'remote control' actually required it to be attached to the VCR by a length of cable. Now my father was an intelligent man with a degree in Physics from Manchester University but man, he carried on arguing with my brother that it was a 'remote' control for a good thirty minutes before finally giving in.

Ah, Ferguson Videostar, I remember them, quality stuff. You could programme them with your foot iirc. A bit of a target for burglars, so you had to put a cushion in front when going out so potential thieves didn't see the display.

Pigmy Pony
22-01-2019, 11:48
Non of my gear is remote controllable, except for the Densen CD player, which needs something called a "Gizmo", and they cost silly money so that's not going to happen. I'd rather walk the eight feet from me sofa.

Pete The Cat
26-01-2019, 07:09
I sometimes feel that the identity of an album has been messed with through adding tracks. I'm not talking about reissues since you know where the original ended (I quite like getting extras on those) but about new releases in recent years which may come in several different versions. It's sometimes hard to tell what the actual album is and what's the fluff that's been added. In the CD era albums have gone on too long anyway, IMHO, to have as consistently high a standard as say in the 70s. I'd rather have 8 tracks / 40 minutes of "Let There be Rock" than 15 tracks / 55 minutes of "Black Ice".

Pete

Pigmy Pony
26-01-2019, 08:57
I'd rather have 52 minutes of total silence than have to sit through "Trevor Horn Reimagines The Eighties". Don't need a remote for that one, just a strong arm and a canal.

Stratmangler
26-01-2019, 08:58
Additional, "bonus" tracks wind me up no end.
Sometimes it's material that sits well with the album, but more often than not it's material that was rejected first time around, and it should have remained that way.
I buy CDs all the time, rip them to my home server, and stream them.
With the bonus stuff I tag it as "bonus tracks" or "bonus material", and it shows up as a separate location, and doesn't play unless you add it to the playlist.

Crackles
26-01-2019, 19:56
Bonus tracks get on my nerves too. They are supposed to add value to the cd, but what was a great album when originally released rarely needs a load of additional fluff to enhance it. If anything it detracts.

Another thing with albums from modern times on CD or stream is that they go on too long. How often can an artist sustain brilliance over 16 tracks? It's hard enough over 10. Just cut out the weakest tracks and make it a better but shorter album.

Oh, and bonus discs with out-takes and alternative mixes. I wonder how many of them get played more than once, if at all.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

struth
26-01-2019, 20:01
Another dislike is 2 albums on same CD, or boxsets where to save a dics they have say 4 or 5 albums on 3 discs.

Joe
26-01-2019, 21:51
Most 'extra tracks' are a pile of shite that never made the original album for the simple reason that they were shite. The only exceptions I can think of are Love's first two LPs, where the CD versions have singles added on. The singles were at least as good as the album tracks, and I never owned the original LPs, so the running order isn't embedded in my subconscious.