PDA

View Full Version : MQA enabled

Tmltech
20-01-2019, 21:22
Hi is the latest Caimen SEG MQA enabled? I'm quite new to this so bear with me. I use a Yamaha WXC 50 as a streaming device and according to specs can output 24/192 I use Tidal HQ and according to another forum to actually hear files in 24/192 you need the DAC to be MQA enabled hence asking

Theadmans
21-01-2019, 18:05
Hi is the latest Caimen SEG MQA enabled? I'm quite new to this so bear with me. I use a Yamaha WXC 50 as a streaming device and according to specs can output 24/192 I use Tidal HQ and according to another forum to actually hear files in 24/192 you need the DAC to be MQA enabled hence asking

The Caiman SEG is not MQA enabled.

Is the only way to listen to Hi-Res on Tidal via MQA files?

I use Qobuz Streaming and they don't use MQA for their Hi-Res streaming. I have streamed 24-96 and 24-192 via Qobuz on my SEG.

struth
21-01-2019, 18:19
Audirvana or roon will un fold mqa with a normal dac

Silent
21-01-2019, 18:40
The Caiman SEG is not MQA enabled.

Is the only way to listen to Hi-Res on Tidal via MQA files?

I use Qobuz Streaming and they don't use MQA for their Hi-Res streaming. I have streamed 24-96 and 24-192 via Qobuz on my SEG.Have you done any comparison between Qobuz and lossless CD rips?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tmltech
21-01-2019, 19:22
My understanding is through Tidal that it needs a hardware and software unwrap for MQA files, I can't use Audivarna or Roon as stated I'm using Yamahas own software with the WXC 50. I'm not sure that Quoboz is even supported by Yamaha. I can't change the WXC 50 as its part of a multiroom setup. Any ideas?

struth
21-01-2019, 19:29
Is it upnp enabled. You can then send it from say audirvana to the yamaha unfolded by the program. I send mine to an rpi or to my oppo player. Works seemlessly.

Mr. C
22-01-2019, 10:34
MQA is a solution to a problem that does not exist, are the files any better absolutely NOT are they any worse, NO are they different YES.

Audiophiles need only apply imho

Macca
22-01-2019, 12:30
MQA is a solution to a problem that does not exist,

So were the 'hi res' formats for that matter.

struth
22-01-2019, 12:34
all a matter of opinion tho; folk shouldnt say that it doesnt do anything, when it does. if you dont like it then fair comment

Macca
22-01-2019, 12:37
all a matter of opinion tho; folk shouldnt say that it doesnt do anything, when it does. if you dont like it then fair comment

it only does something for those of us who can hear frequencies over 20Khz i.e nobody. That's fact.

Although I can appreciate why people want to access hi res to obtain the different masterings which they may find sound superior.

StanleyB
22-01-2019, 13:37
MQA is a rebranding of the good old pilot tone as used on FM stereo broadcasts. It was designed to do a frequency lift of the high frequencies in such things as mp3 files, which traditionally has those frequencies rolled off. If you have tone controls on your amp, you can achieve the same result as MQA.

Landloper
22-01-2019, 18:15
MQA isn't for me either. Nothing to do with its sound, but solely because I believe it to be prejudicial to my interests as a consumer.

Theadmans
22-01-2019, 18:22
Have you done any comparison between Qobuz and lossless CD rips?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Most of my CDs are older ones from before the loudness wars (mainly 80s and upto mid 90s).

I do still buy old 80s discs by consulting the DR Database and the Steve Hoffman Audio forum.

I also do streaming (Qobuz) to get the best of both worlds. Qobuz is great for going on holiday - when you don't want to have to spend time loading flacs on SD cards. My new Fiio M9 DAP streams Qobuz at HiRes:-

FIIO M9 DAP (https://www.hifihelper.com/fiio-m9-review/)

Hi-Res albums tend to be based on later and louder masterings - so in most cases no comparison is possible with my CDs.

Occasionally modern Hi-Res stuff will beat out old 80s CDs. The latest 24-44 resolution 2018 Kate Bush masterings sound better than my old 80s discs. Kate clearly has a decent set of ears - they did a great job on these remasters.

struth
22-01-2019, 18:55
Mqa rocks [emoji106]

Sherwood
22-01-2019, 19:11
Mqa rocks [emoji106]

I agree. I'm sorry others have not heard benefits from MQA files but for me the improvement over standard resolution files is significant. Of course, I am using a lot of processing power to umpsample these files to DSD128 but I am happy to do this for the smoother more analogue sound!

struth
22-01-2019, 19:33
I agree. I'm sorry others have not heard benefits from MQA files but for me the improvement over standard resolution files is significant. Of course, I am using a lot of processing power to umpsample these files to DSD128 but I am happy to do this for the smoother more analogue sound!Yup I've started using a i7 processor and 16gig ram. It does smooth things even more for the rpi