PDA

View Full Version : Grace

Rare Bird
30-04-2010, 17:03
When was the last time someone saw a used Grace 'G-727'/'747' arm for sale in the UK, I'd be intrested if so please..I never like the 'G-707' too much, the arm itself was fine but i hate that plastic clamp together arm lift mountinting pillar & horrible headshell!

DSJR
30-04-2010, 17:12
I don't think they were ever sold in the UK Andre, as Russ Andrews took Grace and Supex over from Linn in 1980 when the Asak and Ittok appeared and the G707 was prematurely pensioned off with honours.....

I have two 707's, one in good working order and with fine bearings (they were too fine for ham-fisted Linnies to be honest). I know what you mean about the headshell, but the Supex 900 doesn't upset it too much and modern carts like the OC9 have pretty inert bodies which don't generate upper-mid resonances in it like some mm's do. I'm just going to have to get the SL-150 going this weekend and fit my spare Supex into the 707....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/Sl150_Grace707a.jpg

hifi_dave
30-04-2010, 18:05
The Grace was a very cheap/inexpensive arm which happened to work well. I can't recall the exact price but back when it was all the rage on a Linn, one of my customers from Hong Kong brought me back a couple of 707's. I believe they were something like 15 quid each and only became expensive when they passed through the UK distribution network..:rolleyes:

Alex_UK
01-05-2010, 05:42
The Grace was a very cheap/inexpensive arm

According to DSJR's picture, 2 for £3 - that IS cheap! :lol:

Themis
01-05-2010, 07:22
According to DSJR's picture, 2 for £3 - that IS cheap! :lol:
You forgot the "very" : very cheap ! :lolsign:

DSJR
01-05-2010, 10:49
Actually, both items cost me nowt!!!!!!!

The arm came from a friend to whom I sold an Ittok twenty five years ago and when he moved, he found the arm in a cupboard somewhere and gave it to me. the deck was a service return (usual old techie speed shenanigans) and was given to me last year when a local HiFi shop closed down - I cleaned the speed pots, all four of them, together with the on/off switch, lubed the main bearing and all's now perfect and stable.. It's just the trusty old Dual has sounded so fine I haven't bothered to mess about..