PDA

View Full Version : Camera and projector question?

bumpy
19-01-2019, 11:47
I help out at an Art Group that has demonstrators visit regularly. During these evenings we use a camcorder and linked projector to beam up the demo onto a screen so the big audience can follow whats happening.

Now the camcorder is reaching the end of its days and needs replacing. It occurred to me that we never use the battery that's built in or or more importantly the recording facilities.

My question is, would it be better (cheaper) to find a camera system that plugs in the mains and dispenses with the recording side of it. Does such a thing exist?

Sherwood
19-01-2019, 13:12
Chris,

am I correct in thinking that you want to be able to project images of documents and photos using a data projector?

Geoff

I help out at an Art Group that has demonstrators visit regularly. During these evenings we use a camcorder and linked projector to beam up the demo onto a screen so the big audience can follow whats happening.

Now the camcorder is reaching the end of its days and needs replacing. It occurred to me that we never use the battery that's built in or or more importantly the recording facilities.

My question is, would it be better (cheaper) to find a camera system that plugs in the mains and dispenses with the recording side of it. Does such a thing exist?

Sherwood
19-01-2019, 14:11
Not sure what your budget is, but this device is very flexible. I used this or something very like it at a training event.

https://www.onedirect.co.uk/ipevo/ipevo-vz-r

It has the great advantage that it can be used without a pc, directly into a data projector, or even a flat screen tv (via hdmi).

If this is beyond your budget, you can of course use your smartphone or tablet as a document projector although this will require you to fabricate a cradle to position your phone/tablet above the documents in question. Just google smartphone as document projector or something similar.

Geoff

Sherwood
19-01-2019, 16:05
A cheaper though much less flexible solution is something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aibecy-Portable-Mega-Pixel-High-Definition-Classroom/dp/B07211RR9T/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547913449&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=Book%2BDocument%2BScanner%2Bwith%2BOCR&th=1

The downside is that this device needs to be connected to a PC. Remember though, you can always use it to scan your materials in advance of the presentation and copy the files to a memory stick. They can then be read directly from the memory stick on most new data projectors or large screen tvs. The downside is that it is not possible to add documents during a presentation.

As always, you get what you pay for with these things.

bumpy
19-01-2019, 17:08
Geoff, those devices look good, but our demonstrators (painting pictures) work at all sorts of angles such as on a table, on the floor, on a variety of easels at different angles, so a movable camera on a stand focussed on their developing pictures suits the purpose. No computers involved, so just need to interface with our existing projector.

Sherwood
19-01-2019, 17:14
Geoff, those devices look good, but our demonstrators (painting pictures) work at all sorts of angles such as on a table, on the floor, on a variety of easels at different angles, so a movable camera on a stand focussed on their developing pictures suits the purpose. No computers involved, so just need to interface with our existing projector.

Why don't you go for a basic digital camera with wifi or hdmi output. You might even find a webcam or security type camera will meet your needs.