PDA

View Full Version : Twelvebears Slate Monster Speakers up for sale!

twelvebears
30-04-2010, 05:41
Controvercial I know, but a recent cash injection means I'm grasping the chance to make some major system changes, plus I came across an amazing deal on a pair of Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. :)

Up shot is that my monster slate speakers need to go. :(

Personally I'd LOVE to keep them, but I just don't have the space so they are now on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wilmslow-Audio-Vortex-Speakers-Volt-Morel-Drivers-/320524532421?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpea kers&hash=item4aa0c03ac5)

The BIN price represents approx 50% of what they cost to build so a real bargain if anyone's interested. Obviously open to direct offers from AOS members via PM

I'm investigating cheap storage options that would allow me to keep them but the weight means there practical limitations - no way these babies can be popped in the loft!!

Cheers

MartinT
30-04-2010, 09:55
plus I came across an amazing deal on a pair of Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers

Steve, are you serious? Have you heard them? I only ask because I think WB speakers are horrible. Every time I have heard them they have sounded cold, clinical, lifeless.

Just my opinion but I hope you know and like them.

twelvebears
30-04-2010, 10:23
Steve, are you serious? Have you heard them? I only ask because I think WB speakers are horrible. Every time I have heard them they have sounded cold, clinical, lifeless.

Just my opinion but I hope you know and like them.

Indeed I have Martin. I lugged my M3 amp and Sony SCD777ES down to KJ West Oner and listened to the very pair I have bought.

Personally I loved them with my stuff but I did also have a quick listen to the same with an Esoteric CD player and a Chord pre-power and it sounded very different, so I suspect it's just how things work out.

MartinT
30-04-2010, 10:55
Ok, glad they're doing it for you.

Mark Grant
30-04-2010, 12:05
Just had a look at the slate website mentioned in your ebay auction.

http://www.slateage.com/stone-products/hi-fi-furniture/index.php

They look fantastic. ( And I am sure they sound fantastic :) )

Good luck with the sale :)

Mark.

The Vinyl Adventure
30-04-2010, 12:17
i like the avatar mark :)

Mark Grant
30-04-2010, 12:34
I cropped that from a series of photos by this guy :)

http://www.hamishgill.com/

Mark.

The Vinyl Adventure
30-04-2010, 12:42
yes, ive seen his work before... not bad with a camera... shit with a screwdriver though from what i hear :)

Alex_UK
30-04-2010, 19:04
yes, ive seen his work before... not bad with a camera... shit with a screwdriver though from what i hear :)

His spelling seems to be getting better though ;)

John
30-04-2010, 19:18
Steve think carefully about this I used to have the same speakers many years back and was not sad to see them go

DSJR
30-04-2010, 19:32
Indeed I have Martin. I lugged my M3 amp and Sony SCD777ES down to KJ West Oner and listened to the very pair I have bought.

Personally I loved them with my stuff but I did also have a quick listen to the same with an Esoteric CD player and a Chord pre-power and it sounded very different, so I suspect it's just how things work out.

I'm so sorry sir, but I really don't think you'll keep the WB's for long. I'd better not say more and leave it to you to find out, but my ACT 1's (Tactic equipped)just stood in the lounge looking great and were rarely used, the Acts being even toppier I remember.

I know KJ too well (:lol:) - and their very over-damped dem room which makes Martin Logans sound so good.......

Good luck, and sincere apologies for being so negative about your new purchase..

DSJR
30-04-2010, 19:35
i like the avatar mark :)

Hamish, why don't YOU go for these if you possibly can?????????

jandl100
01-05-2010, 08:50
Best of luck with the sale of your Slatie Monsters, Steve, but I think you will be hard pressed to get a "realistic" price for them - selling DIY jobbies, no matter how good they are, is a very tricky proposition.

I would have thought that ads on the forums and http://hifi-adverts.co.uk/secondhand/item/list/43/off/0 with a home demo (your home! - you can't be expected to lug those monsters around) would be your best bet, rather than eBay.
The trick is to get someone to listen to them - that makes a sale so much easier!

And I do hope that you like your new WBs.

twelvebears
01-05-2010, 10:13
Hamish, why don't YOU go for these if you possibly can?????????

Actually Hamish and I may try and work out a way to let him have an extended home trial to see if they suit him.

No commitment other than the effort of shifting them (actually that is quite a commitment in itself).

If it works out then cool, if not I'll probably just put them into storage until the listening room gives me sufficient space to bring them home again.

DSJR
01-05-2010, 10:43
Just a hopefully positive P.S. -

Wilson Benesch speakers were designed to work with HUGE big hearted Class A amps and a primarily vinyl source, so why they teamed up with Chord Electronics for so many shows is totally beyond me, as the foul noises emanating from their exhibition rooms was totally unmusical, the large Bishop speakers sounding laughable IMO.

Just make sure you use SMOOTH sounding ancilliaries with no "edge" and the sweetest toned CD player you can, even if it's falsely sweet.. I just found that with neutral sources and amps that I couldn't get any musical "colour" at all and every recording sounded the same, unlike the same pre and sources into the replacement active ATC 20 Pro's, which themselves struggled compared to modern Harbeth passives....

jandl100
01-05-2010, 11:19
Wilson Benesch speakers were designed to work with HUGE big hearted Class A amps and a primarily vinyl source, so why they teamed up with Chord Electronics for so many shows is totally beyond me,

I share your views on the horibbleness of the WB/Chord sounds at shows, Dave - but based on my experience with the little Chord CPM2600 integrated, it is anything but harsh and forward - a truly sweet-toned thing of pure sound. Mayhap the bigger Chord amps are different?

Macca
01-05-2010, 11:25
I'm investigating cheap storage options that would allow me to keep them but the weight means there practical limitations - no way these babies can be popped in the loft!!

Cheers

Shame we don't live closer Steve - you could 'store' them at my place for as long as you wanted:)

MartinT
01-05-2010, 11:45
so why they teamed up with Chord Electronics for so many shows is totally beyond me, as the foul noises emanating from their exhibition rooms was totally unmusical, the large Bishop speakers sounding laughable IMO.

I couldn't agree more, and I challenged John Franks on it on one occasion. He wasn't interested. I have been a Chord power amp owner for many years and know how well the Chords work, so I remain puzzled at the Chord/WB partnership.

UV101
01-05-2010, 12:13
Shame we don't live closer Steve - you could 'store' them at my place for as long as you wanted:)

I'm only a short drive away Steve!!! lol Don't suppose you'd take a load of PSU upgrades in part ex :lolsign:

twelvebears
01-05-2010, 13:18
Best of luck with the sale of your Slatie Monsters, Steve, but I think you will be hard pressed to get a "realistic" price for them - selling DIY jobbies, no matter how good they are, is a very tricky proposition.

I would have thought that ads on the forums and http://hifi-adverts.co.uk/secondhand/item/list/43/off/0 with a home demo (your home! - you can't be expected to lug those monsters around) would be your best bet, rather than eBay.
The trick is to get someone to listen to them - that makes a sale so much easier!

And I do hope that you like your new WBs.

Hi Jerry.

Yes I suspect you're right, I really don't expect to get any serious bids on eBay.

The reality however is that moving them off to a worthy new home to give me the space is more important than the money. I don't have anywhere for them at the moment, the listening room won't be finished for months (assuming it does happen of course) and storing them is just going to cost me money.

Can I also just say a big thank you for actually being positive and wishing me well with my new purchase rather than just passing opinions and hinting that I've made some kind of mistake.

Some of the comments posted since I announced that I'd bought a pair of WBs have been rather disappointing. Not from what people have said - I've heard the speakers in person with my own equipment and trust my ears enough to be completely happy with my decision - but because so many have been so quick to voice their own views and pour cold water on my choice.

I'd like to think that if a fellow member was excitedly awaiting a new toy, I'd at least be polite enough to be pleased for them, regardless on what I thought of them personally.

If I'd been asking for opinions before looking for a speaker it would be a totally different matter but I wasn't. I'm just a little disappointed. Not with my new speakers, I'm delighted with them, but with some of the members of this forum.

John
01-05-2010, 13:30
Sorry Steve I am one of them I really do hope it works out for you

Ali Tait
01-05-2010, 13:32
Likewise.They are lovely looking speakers.

MartinT
01-05-2010, 16:01
I didn't know you had already bought them when I first posted. Apologies and I do hope you are pleased with them.

Themis
01-05-2010, 16:19
I haven't heard a single pair of speakers that were *clearly* disappointing in my whole life.
I've heard speakers that fitted better my taste, though. Also, amplifiers that fitted some speakers better than others.
But "disappointing speakers" ? Never.
Disappointing rooms and setups, certainly. ;)

I believe *all* speakers over £500 are excellent transducers. :)
You can't be wrong if you like them, Steve ! :cool: (me, I never heard them)

Macca
01-05-2010, 16:22
I haven't heard a single pair of speakers that were *clearly* disappointing in my whole life.
. ;)

You've never heard any Studio Power MC2000s then. Your lucky.

Themis
01-05-2010, 16:31
You've never heard any Studio Power MC2000s then. Your lucky.
What are these ? :scratch:

Macca
01-05-2010, 16:37
What are these ? :scratch:

The worst speakers I ever owned - no sign of them on t'internet - I think all traces have been deleted from history. They did everything badly except when playing Dub and I hate Dub.

Spectral Morn
01-05-2010, 19:19
Anything by Gerwin Vega :( Yuck!

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
01-05-2010, 19:34
Sorry I couldn't help steve... Was nice to chat to another member though! How did you get on with the bench thing in the end?

DSJR
01-05-2010, 21:36
Anything by Gerwin Vega :( Yuck!

Regards D S D L

You snob you.... :ner:

The DC12 and Dc15 were huge fun and as for the 6' tall goodies with twin 15" bass units - why, I've not heard led Zep sound more "gig-like" since I went to one of their Earls Court gigs in '75.....

I'll tell you summat, despite the empty cabs (no lining or damping) and small driver magnets, the crossovers used decent parts and there was HUGE potential for bodging... HiFi dave and I love 'em..... :D

Spectral Morn
01-05-2010, 22:14
You snob you.... :ner:

The DC12 and Dc15 were huge fun and as for the 6' tall goodies with twin 15" bass units - why, I've not heard led Zep sound more "gig-like" since I went to one of their Earls Court gigs in '75.....

I'll tell you summat, despite the empty cabs (no lining or damping) and small driver magnets, the crossovers used decent parts and there was HUGE potential for bodging... HiFi dave and I love 'em..... :D

Your own your own Dave, Boom and Tiz...............

Regards D S D L

goraman
01-05-2010, 23:51
Thats 275 US pounds EACH!
For a total of 550 pounds!
How much is over night to the USA West Coast?
Just kidding...

twelvebears
02-05-2010, 05:08
Thats 275 US pounds EACH!
For a total of 550 pounds!
How much is over night to the USA West Coast?
Just kidding...

Yup. One quarter of a tonne for a pair of speakers....

twelvebears
02-05-2010, 05:14
Sorry I couldn't help steve... Was nice to chat to another member though! How did you get on with the bench thing in the end?

Not a problem Hamish and it was good to chat to you too. Let's be honest, they look like they're the monoliths from 2001 and are hardly going to blend into any average domestic environment....

Besides which, it sounds like your room is a similar size to mine and they are quite imposing.

oh and yes, finally finished it, though no help whatsoever of THE worst set of instructions ever! Eventually decided that working it out myself was less confusing then trying to follow them. :D

markf
03-05-2010, 20:43
One way to store them would be to just remove all the drivers ,cable, connectors, xover etc and just
leave the empty cabinets outside in the back yard.
I doubt the slate would come to any harm and would probably clean up fine even after
several years of exposure to the outside elements.

The Vinyl Adventure
03-05-2010, 20:44
I said that, I even suggested making a water feature out of them..

twelvebears
04-05-2010, 05:39
Well I'm delighted to say that I've struck a deal on the speakers, and best of all, they're staying in the AOS 'family'.

Ian (UV101) has promised to give them a good home and continue tweaking them in the true AOS tradition.

My only question is whether Ian's better half knows what she's let herself in for... :)

Alex_UK
04-05-2010, 11:06
My only question is whether Ian's better half knows what she's let herself in for... :)

My question is does his house foundations know what they've let themselves in for! :eyebrows:

Well done on the sale, good to see they will be going to another enthusiast too - enjoy them Ian.

twelvebears
04-05-2010, 11:35
My question is does his house foundations know what they've let themselves in for! :eyebrows:

Well done on the sale, good to see they will be going to another enthusiast too - enjoy them Ian.

When I visited, I noted that the left-hand speaker was prone to being knocked by people walking past.

Anyone walking into these puppies is going to bounce off like a rubber ball. :)

UV101
04-05-2010, 11:40

er! should I tell the misses? :doh:

What can I say except I can't wait! I'm over the moon

:champagne::mex:

I know Steve was keen to see these go to a new home that fully appreciates what they are. I'm really glad to fit that bill.

Thank you Steve :cool:

All in all an awesome weekend! Deal done and Oxford United won the play off's! Off to Wembley in two weeks to contest the final promotion spot! I've come back to work for a chill and a rest! :lolsign:

UV101
04-05-2010, 11:42
When I visited, I noted that the left-hand speaker was prone to being knocked by people walking past.

Anyone walking into these puppies is going to bounce off like a rubber ball. :)

We'll be OK if the kids look where thery are going!

No danger of speaker damage :lolsign:

twelvebears
04-05-2010, 11:55
We'll be OK if the kids look where thery are going!

No danger of speaker damage :lolsign:

You may want to consider decorating the left hand edge with some of that striped yellow and black hazard tape.....