PDA

View Full Version : New System

bacobits
28-04-2010, 19:46
We moved again fortunately sold the house after 9 months on market. We are now outside Charlotte, NC.
A bit larger room this time. 15' X 12'.

Changed my amp out and speakers. Amp is a Pathos Classic One MKII, and the speakers are Usher CP-6371 (these are heavy!).the rest is a Rega P5 with TTPS and Dynavector 10X5, into an Eastern Electric Mini Max Phono pre, and a Raysonic 128 HDCD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/NewSystem2-1.jpg

Den

chris@panteg
28-04-2010, 23:51
nice system there

DSJR
29-04-2010, 07:12
So many of you guys place the system including turntable in between the speakers (I'm as bad as there's a CRT telly between mine..) :)

Any way that the speakers can be pulled out a bit more? Won't cure any bass getting back to the Rega, but may subtly improve imaging...

REM
29-04-2010, 14:34
Hi Den

What's hiding in the little valve (sorry toob) boxes?:)

DrMartin
29-04-2010, 19:20
So many of you guys place the system including turntable in between the speakers (I'm as bad as there's a CRT telly between mine..) :)

Any way that the speakers can be pulled out a bit more? Won't cure any bass getting back to the Rega, but may subtly improve imaging...

I can totally endorse that advice, having recently cleared the space between my speakers. I gained a huge improvement in image depth.

Spectral Morn
30-04-2010, 08:50
We moved again fortunately sold the house after 9 months on market. We are now outside Charlotte, NC.
A bit larger room this time. 15' X 12'.

Changed my amp out and speakers. Amp is a Pathos Classic One MKII, and the speakers are Usher CP-6371 (these are heavy!).the rest is a Rega P5 with TTPS and Dynavector 10X5, into an Eastern Electric Mini Max Phono pre, and a Raysonic 128 HDCD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/NewSystem2-1.jpg

Den

Hi Den

Nice set up. I love the Pathos Classic 1 mk2, its an amazing amplifier in more ways than one. If you need a bit more power at some stage buy a second one (S/H as a mk3 wont match) and flick the switch inside which turns it into a mono integrated amplifier and raises the power to 135watts. You then have one per channel.

I have done this myself and you don't loose the magic of the amplifier.

As to anything between the speakers that imho is a no no. You will gain a massive jump in sound quality particularly in the area of imaging, something the Pathos is excellent at. I would also try the XLR inputs if the Raysonic has them as outputs. It would be worth borrowing a set of such cables to try as imho the Pathos sounds better used balanced.

Anyway welcome to the forum.

Regards D S D L

twelvebears
30-04-2010, 16:29
I can totally endorse that advice, having recently cleared the space between my speakers. I gained a huge improvement in image depth.

IF my plan fo a dedicated listening room comes off, the system is defo going in a different wall the the speakers, which have one end of the room to themselves...

bacobits
02-05-2010, 01:25
Thanks to everyone.

This system has changed my opinion of solid state amps.
The Pathos matches well with the Usher's, these run at 90db and 4 ohms. So the Pathos is pushing closer to 135 watts than the 70 watts at 8 ohms. There is no lack of bass that this amp was criticized for in reviews. This amp is capable of some pretty nice sound. I heard a hint of that when I was running it with my Brines FT1600II's and sub. It did not like the sub. I could not dial it in properly. The first time that has happened running a sub for at least 10 years.
The Pathos needed full range speakers to excel. So the change to the Usher CP 6371. I would have loved to purchase Sonus Faber but most were out of my price category.

Yes, The speakers are not finalized in placed yet. They will be brought out into the room more. These run close to 150lbs ea., spiked and not easy to move on hardwood floors.
The Equipment has to stay in the middle unfortunately since I do not have room for the rack on either side of the room or length enough for the speaker cables. There are always compromises. I am very lucky to have a dedicated room and I don't have to keep this stuff in the living room like many others do.

I am very much enjoying the sound of this system.

Den