PDA

View Full Version : It's official: 4K is pish - say hello to 8K!

Marco
08-01-2019, 14:16
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/picture-quality?cpint=SG_PRODUCT_DETAILS_SEC-TOUT-PDP-Z9G_SERIES-EN_GL-2018-11-M03-STEPINTO-TOUT01-STEPINTO#eightk-technology

Time to chuck yer 'fours' in the bin, folks! I wonder when they'll introduce 10K, 12K or 16K? How long before you'll need a special pair of eyes?:eyebrows:

Marco.

Jimbo
08-01-2019, 14:32
Problem is there is barely any 4K material available so the chance of getting 8k material is very remote!

struth
08-01-2019, 14:34
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/picture-quality?cpint=SG_PRODUCT_DETAILS_SEC-TOUT-PDP-Z9G_SERIES-EN_GL-2018-11-M03-STEPINTO-TOUT01-STEPINTO#eightk-technology

Time to chuck yer 'fours' in the bin, folks! I wonder when they'll introduce 10K, 12K or 16K? How long before you'll need a special pair of eyes?:eyebrows:

Marco.

99% of pop wont be able to stream 8k. so it will have to be discs I guess.

Marco
08-01-2019, 14:56
99% of pop wont be able to stream 8k.

Reckon I'd manage it with the download speeds I get!:eyebrows:

But like you (and Jim) say, it's getting the material available to start with. It'll happen eventually though, such is the nature of technology. We never thought we'd have 4K!

Marco.

Jimbo
08-01-2019, 15:18
Reckon I'd manage it with the download speeds I get!:eyebrows:

But like you (and Jim) say, it's getting the material available to start with. It'll happen eventually though, such is the nature of technology. We never thought we'd have 4K!

Marco.

Best 4K I have seen is the Sony OLED 4K - stunning and I believe it upscales from HD to 4K.

tapid
08-01-2019, 15:22

Marco.. Surely they tried the extra eyes with 3D glasses ?

Markiii
08-01-2019, 16:01
4k is bullshit anyway, its not even close to full bitrate

Marco
08-01-2019, 16:23
Yeah, but it's much better than standard HD!:)

Marco.

struth
08-01-2019, 16:36
streamed hd isnt at blueray level for that matter but its difficult to see the errors at times. maybe more obvious on big screens mind.

Marco
08-01-2019, 17:00
streamed hd isnt at blueray level for that matter but its difficult to see the errors at times. maybe more obvious on big screens mind.

I find that anything available on Virgin Media in UHD (films or sports channels) looks pretty much as good as a Blu-ray. However, where it's really at is watching a 4K HDR Blu-ray direct, though your player. The clarity, on a suitably equipped 4K TV, is outstanding.

I look forward to one day seeing what 8K can do!:)

Marco.

dave2010
08-01-2019, 17:26
I look forward to one day seeing what 8K can do!:)

Marco.I saw some early 4K TVs in shops years ago, and one actually had an 8K TV before they were available for consumers. It was very good, but the problem is getting source material.

Also with some of the higher res models the processing doesn't always keep up, and there can be slight jittering between the left and right sides of the screen, though probably newer kit will have overcome some of those problems, or at least reduced them largely.

A lot of video material which we may watch is actually "optimised", to reduce the effective bandwith (bitrate) requirements. Either movements are restricted so that adjacent frames are very similar, or colours are chosen appropriately. Another way is to allow blurred images - for example a sharp foreground with a blurred background. Strictly the blurred background might require more data if done exactly, but some algorithms might "know" that there's little point, so the background coulld be reconstituted approximagely. Even now there are some types of image and/or video which don't work well with TV, so broadcasters make sure they don't happen, or put in filters to kick them out. I think film makers also use tricks to try to optimise film, or avoid certain techniques which they know will cause problems.

Rapid panning still causes obvious problems for most of us with video, I think - whereas I can stand in a room and turn round quickly and AFAIK my vision keeps up.

Gazjam
08-01-2019, 19:34
Best 4K I have seen is the Sony OLED 4K - stunning and I believe it upscales from HD to 4K.

It does indeed.

...and me too.

Adam D
09-01-2019, 12:57
I saw an 8K 75 inch Samsung television in John Lewis at the end of December.

It was looping through its demo and looked pretty impressive.

My son and I would have bought it there and then, but SWMBO said "no way", boo!

Marco
09-01-2019, 13:44
And she always gets the last word?;)

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
09-01-2019, 19:12
And she always gets the last word?;)

Marco.

Mrs. P used to have the last word Marco, these days it's you :D

It's only five minutes ago we were told that HD had become shit, and we must have 4K. Now we're expected to ditch that thousand quid plus telly, and spend another grand or so. Feels like I'm being manipulated to sign up for the latest must have - well when I'm ready for sharper images I'll visit the optician first.

Mind you, all those that are ready to bin their 4K sets, there's a skip on my drive with plenty of room :) Pm me for address (and don't forget the remote!)

Pigmy Pony
09-01-2019, 19:14
Panasonic plasma and proud!

Marco
09-01-2019, 19:32
It's only five minutes ago we were told that HD had become shit, and we must have 4K. Now we're expected to ditch that thousand quid plus telly, and spend another grand or so. Feels like I'm being manipulated to sign up for the latest must have

I completely agree. That's why, as far as I'm concerned, 8K can take a run and jump, as I'll be keeping my 4K Sony for the foreseeable future, most likely until it dies!

Marco.

tapid
09-01-2019, 19:46
Don't think anybody said that HD was shite, but there s always the next BIG thing on the horizon. Always been like that always will be.

Pigmy Pony
09-01-2019, 20:29
Don't think anybody said that HD was shite, but there s always the next BIG thing on the horizon. Always been like that always will be.

No, it isn't expressed, just implied.

Anyway, I'm in no hurry to have the last word in picture sharpness. Any more than I need my hifi to throw every single musical detail in my face. My eight year old plasma does everything I need it to do, and with a sharpness that's easily a match for my dodgy peepers. Best of all faces actually look like they belong to human beings, not characters in a video game.

I was told after buying it that plasma panels lasted five years on average, so I'm determined to see how far past that we can get. Telly's on about 6 or 7 hours a day.

Marco
09-01-2019, 21:24
Best of all faces actually look like they belong to human beings, not characters in a video game.

Lol - and I can assure you neither do they now on the best flatscreens, especially in 4K UHD... Just breathtakingly real!;)

Marco.

Jac Hawk
15-01-2019, 18:04
Yes it's better, but not night and day like standard def to HD, in my opinion it's another case of diminishing returns, 4k is better than HD but I find HD is more than acceptable, apparently your eyes can't see better than 8K so anything more is pointless and if you need glasses then your eyesight won't even be that.

Marco
15-01-2019, 18:20
Interesting, Mike... Even at 53, I don't wear glasses and still have very good eyesight, so don't have any problem differentiating between HD and 4K. I find the difference quite marked, with the latter being notably superior, in terms of overall clarity and definition!:)

No idea about 8K, as that's unlikely something I'll be entertaining anytime soon.

Marco.

Jac Hawk
15-01-2019, 19:08
I was at an Extron event a few years ago and one of the things they were showing was their new 4K switcher scaler, anyway one of the demos sent 2 identical video clips, 1 in HD and 1 in 4K to two 55" Samsung displays, 1 HD and 1 4k, they sat us 3 meters away and asked us which was which, out of a room of about 15 people their wasn't a definitive answer and it wasn't until you were sat considerably closer that the difference was apparent, the guys from Extron said that unless you sit really close or you go for larger than 55" you're going to struggle to see a massive difference from a normal viewing distance, they also said that the need for higher resolution only becomes necessary on very large screens 75" and higher as each pixel in larger and therefore more obvious

Gazjam
15-01-2019, 19:09
Not all 4K is the same,
even when you take variable quality streamed 4K from Netflix and the like out the picture.

Like mastering in audio, depends on on the movie was shot and on how it’s been transferred to bluray.
Special effects driven modern movies, due to expense and time doing the effects tend to be shot in 2K resolution (as cheaper to render the effects?) and the “4K” Blu-ray is in fact upscale 2K.

4k digital scans of 70mm film stock will be quite different from these, despite both being ‘4K’.
Know what I mean?

Have a few 4K discs now, some don’t look that different from 1080p Blu-ray (though colour pop is usually better due to HDR) and others...like anything Chis Nolan shot on IMAX or older films 4K’d PROPERLY like 2001 or Blade Runner are absolutely stunning, night and day better than the standard Blu-ray.

So,
like most things..

It depends.

8K...naa.

Marco
15-01-2019, 19:25
I was at an Extron event a few years ago and one of the things they were showing was their new 4K switcher scaler, anyway one of the demos sent 2 identical video clips, 1 in HD and 1 in 4K to two 55" Samsung displays, 1 HD and 1 4k, they sat us 3 meters away and asked us which was which, out of a room of about 15 people their wasn't a definitive answer and it wasn't until you were sat considerably closer that the difference was apparent, the guys from Extron said that unless you sit really close or you go for larger than 55" you're going to struggle to see a massive difference from a normal viewing distance, they also said that the need for higher resolution only becomes necessary on very large screens 75" and higher as each pixel in larger and therefore more obvious

Fair enough, and again also interesting. We do sit pretty close to the TV, as it's only a small room, so probably no more max 3.5m, from chair to screen:)

Marco.

Marco
15-01-2019, 19:27
Not all 4K is the same,
even when you take variable quality streamed 4K from Netflix and the like out the picture.

Like mastering in audio, depends on on the movie was shot and on how it’s been transferred to bluray.
Special effects driven modern movies, due to expense and time doing the effects tend to be shot in 2K resolution (as cheaper to render the effects?) and the “4K” Blu-ray is in fact upscale 2K.

4k digital scans of 70mm film stock will be quite different from these, despite both being ‘4K’.
Know what I mean?

Have a few 4K discs now, some don’t look that different from 1080p Blu-ray (though colour pop is usually better due to HDR) and others...like anything Chis Nolan shot on IMAX or older films 4K’d PROPERLY like 2001 or Blade Runner are absolutely stunning, night and day better than the standard Blu-ray.

So,
like most things..

It depends.

Yup, also my experience - and totally concur with your last two paras...

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
15-01-2019, 20:20
Fair enough, and again also interesting. We do sit pretty close to the TV, as it's only a small room, so probably no more max 3.5m, from chair to screen:)

Marco.

Bet you sit closer when watching C4's "Naked Attraction"... :booty:

Marco
15-01-2019, 20:40
Lol - not heard of it... Would I need to fit some windscreen wipers on the TV?:D

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
15-01-2019, 21:34
It's a dating show, where someone comes on, gets to view a line up of 5 or 6 "hopefuls" - showing their downstairs bits first, then the chest areas, then their faces. Then one is chosen, and they go on a date. It's very graphic, not very sexy, and I don't know how they get away with it.

I suppose with 4K you could check whether they had crabs. Won't help the person doing the choosing though, who doesn't get as close a view as the camera.

Clive
15-01-2019, 23:36
I've a 4 year old HD 65" TV, the picture is pretty good so I can't justify a 4K set yet. What has made a difference though is using 4K fire stick (of course it's only HD on my set), the HDR in the stick makes a BIG difference with Amazon and Netfix; even iPlayer is better than the live feed.

Pigmy Pony
16-01-2019, 08:23
I suppose it's a bit like hifi, where even "lesser" components will show an improvement when fed a better signal. My HD set is going nowhere. Mrs. P is talking about us getting a Sky Q box -I'm assuming this has some 4K content, and if so I'll be interested to see if that yields any improvement.

Hypnotist
17-01-2019, 23:06
Panasonic plasma and proud!

Same here my Panasonic Plasma is gone 10yrs old and still a brilliant picture

Jac Hawk
19-01-2019, 17:53
My Pana 55" HD TV recently developed a problem with the picture, so I've bought a 55" Philips ambilight, it's 4k and the picture is a bit better, I play HD and 4k content from amazon and Netflix and to be honest I have to be consciously looking for the difference, it is there but I find when I'm watching TV HD is as good as it needs to be, what I mean by that is that I don't feel like I'm missing out or NEED the picture to be any better.