PDA

View Full Version : My Technics 1200 journey

kininigin
28-04-2010, 15:04
I've been slowly changing my system over the last year and feel i am getting nearer to what i want.So far i have come from a Marantz CD63 ki signature, arcam alpha 9/9p and some wharfedale evolution speakers to the system in my signature.

The first system cost me about £1800 and served me well for about 10 years(speakers were a latter addition) or so but i always felt that better could be had,and went through a few speakers to get what i wanted but to no avail.

So a total overhaul was needed.I decided to go down the computer audio route and got a second hand silent custom pc for £150 next was a beresford 7520 dac cost was £170ish.I also decided to try active speakers for the first time and managed to get some Tapco S8 monitors for £140.I added some mark grant cables through out.Latest addition is the Croft micro 25 pre amp which I've got for £480(not recieved yet so cannot comment on that yet but I have had a croft micro basic25 in it's place till it arrives) Cost of current system around £900 with the basic 25 just over £1000 with the micro 25.

Without going into detail(im coming to the technics i promise:)) my current system absolutly spanks what i had before for around half the cost of my previous system.So a special thankyou goes out to Mr beresford,Mr croft,Mr grant and of coarse everyonr here at aos who have shown me you don't have to pay huge sums of money to get the sound you want.

So to the technics,at last i hear you cry:lol:.I used to dj a few years back and was missing having a mix so i thought i'd get a couple of tt,but soon realized i didn't have the time space or money to get back into dj'ing so i thought i would get one tt to transfer my records to my computer.

I got an old 1200 for £100 which had the paint worn in places but physicaly was sound.Now since i have no phono stage yet i haven't been able to transfer my records.So in the mean time i thought i would do some basic mods to it and get it resprayed.So i have stripped it down(youtube is your friend)gave it a good clean and rewired some new rca cables on the tone arm.I've never used a soldering iron before but after a bit of practice i found it not to difficult.

Im currently waiting for some kit to do the respraying myself after getting quoted £150 to repaint it :eek:

I will add pictures as soon as i figure out how to to it.

DSJR
28-04-2010, 17:46
Much as I hate "slurp" these days, I do have to admit that £150 to respray your deck-plate is about right at £50+ per hour labour charges these days.

I once had a body-shop spray a Quad FM3 case in matt black (around 30 years ago) and it cost me £50 then for a couple of coats. Looked good too ;)

Gdg
28-04-2010, 18:36
This may help.
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152098

It went out a good job, too.

The Vinyl Adventure
28-04-2010, 18:47
... That guy had the same "doesn't spin right" experience I did...
Be bloody carefull with the pcb if you do the respray matey!!

Gdg
28-04-2010, 19:18
... That guy had the same "doesn't spin right" experience I did...
Be bloody carefull with the pcb if you do the respray matey!!

I completely disassembled my MK5 7 or 8 times, doing some modifications to the PCBs, too. Maybe I've been lucky, but I always took care not to touch the pins of the IC, and... well... always dressing sinlg-use vinyl gloves (but, just because I hate leaving fingerprints around)

The Vinyl Adventure
28-04-2010, 19:29
Lucky... Or maybe just not a cack handed pleb like me :)

Stratmangler
28-04-2010, 19:35
Lucky... Or maybe just not a cack handed pleb like me :)

I rather think that the latter applies.;)

The Vinyl Adventure
28-04-2010, 19:39
I'm getting a bit of a rep for being a bit "special" when it comes to making/fixing stuff round here arnt I ...

Stratmangler
28-04-2010, 19:41
Well you're not known as "Bodger" Gill for nothing;)

The Vinyl Adventure
28-04-2010, 19:46
Can I have my sub name bit changed to...

"bodger" Gill

please ... Can I get a capital 'H' for my name too :)

MartinT
28-04-2010, 19:48
Shame, I still get a laugh from 'Bell-end boy' every time I see it. Which forum coined that name for you again?

kininigin
28-04-2010, 21:19
here's a couple of pictures of the deck as it looks now and the rca cable i put on the tone arm.

hopefully i will not bugger any thing up but im looking forward to doing this little project and will need some advice on further upgrades as i have no idea
which type of stylus to use for hi fi use,but that can wait for now.

The Vinyl Adventure
28-04-2010, 21:30
here's a couple of pictures of the deck as it looks now and the rca cable i put on the tone arm.

hopefully i will not bugger any thing up but im looking forward to doing this little project and will need some advice on further upgrades as i have no idea
which type of stylus to use for hi fi use,but that can wait for now.

Well your in the right place for that sorta advice :)

sorry I high jacked your thread a bit... :)

it was someone on wigwam over my critism of what hifi's bizzare review of marks gh1000d

SteveW
28-04-2010, 21:57

"bodger" Gill

You'll always be Bodger Bell End to me.:)

The Vinyl Adventure
28-04-2010, 21:59
:( no one with the means to help me has noticed my plea ...

kininigin
29-04-2010, 13:02
Well your in the right place for that sorta advice :)

sorry I high jacked your thread a bit... :)

it was someone on wigwam over my critism of what hifi's bizzare review of marks gh1000d

no problem,if the abuse gets too much let me know and i'll tell them to cut it out:)

kininigin
29-04-2010, 13:10
here is the deck after i have sanded it.i didn't bother
with the inside as i did it by hand and it looked too fiddly.

Im waiting for some primer for the next stage.

MartinT
29-04-2010, 13:12
Looks good.

Is it only me who finds your avatar strangely unsettling?

Stratmangler
29-04-2010, 13:13

"bodger" Gill

:D

Stratmangler
29-04-2010, 13:15
Looks good.

Is it only me who finds your avatar strangely unsettling?

kininigin's avatar ?
Me too !
Perhaps that's the point ?

kininigin
29-04-2010, 13:38
ha ha,reminds me of my clubbing days.

I see what you mean if you look too long at it i'll try and find a still image.

Marco
29-04-2010, 14:05
:( no one with the means to help me has noticed my plea ...

Shorted now, ya wee daftee! ;)

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
29-04-2010, 20:16
Coolio :)
fixed my deck today :) sounding propper bo now!

Stratmangler
29-04-2010, 20:27
Coolio :)
fixed my deck today :) sounding propper bo now!

Excellent !
Must have summat to do with having a "proper" audio diy'ers handle;)

The Vinyl Adventure
29-04-2010, 20:32
:lol: yeah must be it...
Now it's working, I'm gonna leave it well alone! I'm gonna hang up my screwdriver for a while I think! :)

Stratmangler
29-04-2010, 20:34
:lol: yeah must be it...
Now it's working, I'm gonna leave it well alone! I'm gonna hang up my screwdriver for a while I think! :)

Wimp !!!!!:lolsign:

Stratmangler
29-04-2010, 20:36
What was causing the problem ?

The Vinyl Adventure
29-04-2010, 21:39
How the fuck should I know..
Something wrong with the pcb or motor ... Sent it to dave yesterday for him to play with ... Hopefully he should be able to fix it and report back on what ever it was I managed to do to it...

Stratmangler
29-04-2010, 21:45
What part did you swap out that allowed the motor to turn properly ?
Was it the motor PCB ?
I didn't expect anything more than I've just asked. :rolleyes:

The Vinyl Adventure
29-04-2010, 22:10
the issue wasn't down to anything phisically preventing the platter turning correctly, I had either warped the motor somehow or damaged a integrated circuit on the main board... So I just swapped out the whole thing ... Problem solved!

The Vinyl Adventure
29-04-2010, 22:17
ha ha,reminds me of my clubbing days.

I see what you mean if you look too long at it i'll try and find a still image.

This was the 'human traffic' avatar right? Brilliant film, it reminds me of my clubbing days too, especially going to raves in Cardiff in dodgy ice rink (I think) function rooms... Loadsa fun!

Marco
29-04-2010, 22:50
the issue wasn't down to anything phisically preventing the platter turning correctly, I had either warped the motor somehow or damaged a integrated circuit on the main board... So I just swapped out the whole thing ... Problem solved!

Admit it, you found a weevil having a kip inside it, right? ;)

Weevils - one day they will take over the world........

Marco.

MartinT
29-04-2010, 22:53
Glad you got it sorted, Hamish. Now back to the important business: how is it sounding and has the OC-9 run in nicely yet?

The Vinyl Adventure
29-04-2010, 22:56
What's with you and weevils anyway? Always with the weevils...

Marco
29-04-2010, 22:59
I just don't trust them. They're two-faced b*stards!

Much as I wouldn't trust a cat that looks like this:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6765/madcat.png (http://img28.imageshack.us/i/madcat.png/)

Marco (resident weevil-worrier).

The Vinyl Adventure
29-04-2010, 23:01
Glad you got it sorted, Hamish. Now back to the important business: how is it sounding and has the OC-9 run in nicely yet?

It's getting there martin, I'm gonna leave it a little longer and do me a little "hamish's TT write up - with piccys" thread, to include the info on what was broken and all that sort millarky as it's all been a bit spread over the shop... I was thinking it might come in handy if someone else makes the same mistakes as me etc

The Vinyl Adventure
29-04-2010, 23:10

before I properly comment, I'm gonna leave it a little longer and do me a little "hamish's TT write up - with piccys" thread, to include the info on what was broken and all that sort millarky as it's all been a bit spread over the shop... I was thinking it might come in handy if someone else makes the same mistakes as me etc

it's sounding really good though, hannah worked later today so I had a good 4 or 5 hours uninterupted with it at good volumes this evening, got through UNKLE 'never, never, land', miles davis 'kind of blue' pink floyd 'wish you were here', nightmares on wax 'smokers delight', love 'forever changes' and a justice vs, simian single what's name escapes me... Bloody loved every minute of it!!

colinB
29-04-2010, 23:33
Glad your project worked out Hamish and hats of to you for getting stuck in and giving it a go. Your a brave man.

kininigin
30-04-2010, 11:24
This was the 'human traffic' avatar right? Brilliant film, it reminds me of my clubbing days too, especially going to raves in Cardiff in dodgy ice rink (I think) function rooms... Loadsa fun!

yeah that's right very funny film.Never made it to cardiff even though i used to live in hereford which aint too far away.Those were the days...very messy nights but we won't go into details;)

kininigin
30-04-2010, 11:31
I just don't trust them. They're two-faced b*stards!

Much as I wouldn't trust a cat that looks like this:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6765/madcat.png (http://img28.imageshack.us/i/madcat.png/)

Marco (resident weevil-worrier).

Your right not to trust them marco,in fact if you do some research you'll find that cats with toupe's are actually shapeshifting space weevils from beyond the stars...your in deep now

The Vinyl Adventure
30-04-2010, 12:22
Glad your project worked out Hamish and hats of to you for getting stuck in and giving it a go. Your a brave man.

ta, yeah, very happy with it now... i have a spare top bit too now... im thinking about a pitch fade and stylus light removed version now :)

The Vinyl Adventure
30-04-2010, 12:25
yeah that's right very funny film.Never made it to cardiff even though i used to live in hereford which aint too far away.Those were the days...very messy nights but we won't go into details;)

i couldnt do it now... not without a week off after.. i have mates who unied in cardiff ... it certainly opened certain doors to me ... ;)

colinB
30-04-2010, 18:47
Hamish, i would love to paint the top part of my deck white but the only thing putting me of is the cost and the fact you lose the transfers.
I noticed on e bay last night ( as i was buying some isonoe feet) some guy sells Technics transfers for the deck. £10 i think.

kininigin
30-04-2010, 19:58
Hamish, i would love to paint the top part of my deck white but the only thing putting me of is the cost and the fact you lose the transfers.
I noticed on e bay last night ( as i was buying some isonoe feet) some guy sells Technics transfers for the deck. £10 i think.

If you decide to spray yourself the cost comes right down.I got primer,2 cans of red paint and 2 cans of clear lacquer for around £15-20.

I noticed the graphics on ebay aswell,i'll see what my deck looks like after it is finished then decide if to buy them or not.

Im starting the primer tomorrow so it will be a good few days before it is finished.

The Vinyl Adventure
30-04-2010, 20:06
Ive gone for the de-badged look ... :)

colinB
30-04-2010, 20:31
Nice lookong cable you got there. Good luck with the paint job.

kininigin
03-05-2010, 11:33
Here's the new mains cable for the psu on the technics it's belden 83803

it's a bit stiff but wasn't too bad to solder.Manage to get a 1M length for £11.

Iv'e not got a decent camera so the picture quality isn't that great.

kininigin
08-05-2010, 14:37
so here is the deck after painting,i still need to add a couple of coats of lacquer which i will try to do today but the wheather doesn't look great so i might wait.

The Vinyl Adventure
08-05-2010, 14:49
coming along well!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECHNICS-BLACK-PITCH-TRIM-SL1210-GENUINE-NEW-PART-/300417414163?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item45f245f413#ht_1062wt_939

kininigin
08-05-2010, 14:55
ha i have just bought one five minuits ago.I've got a silver one as well as i got it before i knew what colour i wanted and thought it wouldn't quite look right.

The Vinyl Adventure
08-05-2010, 15:17
Did you manage to remove the stylus light surround without cracking it? I cracked mine :doh:

kininigin
08-05-2010, 17:24
only just,it's got to go back yet though.

Just put a couple of coats of lacquer on and wet sanded it down and have now got some chips in the paint work nothing major and mainly on the edges.

Im not sure if i can be arsed to sort it out properly.I just want to get it back together now.One more coat of lacquer some compound and a polish and im done hopefully tomorrow.

The Vinyl Adventure
08-05-2010, 17:47
Jus make sure you strip the residue of the old glue away and it will slot back in peice of piss!
Good luck with it, it's looking good so far - I nearly went for red myself

kininigin
11-05-2010, 15:48
so iv'e nearly finished the deck put the last coat of lacquer on yesterday
wetsanded it today and then put some rubbing compound on to blend the paintwork.

Just need to polish it up and put it back together.

here is a photo of it semi put together to give an idea of the finished deck,not too bad for my first atempt.

Be nice to get this finished it's taken a bit longer than i thought.

MartinT
11-05-2010, 16:04
Looks very smart, Darren.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-05-2010, 16:11
nice!

i want to have a go at doing another one my self... you sound like you know what your doing as regards getting a good finish... can you give me a run through of how you did it, what sandpapers to use (and where to get them) and what paints and lacqures(?) and what wetsanding means ... sorry to be a pain :)
also, got any ideas where i might get some appropriate metal filler? i want to try a pitch slide remove mod

Stratmangler
11-05-2010, 16:26
Deck's looking good Darren.
I wonder how good a 3 tone sunburst a la '62 Fender Stratocaster would look ?

Stratmangler
11-05-2010, 16:26
also, got any ideas where i might get some appropriate metal filler? i want to try a pitch slide remove mod

Why ?
What other means is there to adjust rotational speed ?

The Vinyl Adventure
11-05-2010, 16:32
Why ?

coz it looks cool as

http://www.12x0.de//include/images/usergallery/img_844.JPG

What other means is there to adjust rotational speed ?

thats telekinesis chris, i got the power to move... erm... it ... ...
why would i want to?

im even thinking about removing the buttons and 45rpm adapter hole

Stratmangler
11-05-2010, 16:41
I've got a strobe on my Thorens TD125 MkII and I have a check on rotational speed quite often.
It's pretty stable, although on occasion I have to make minute adjustment to the rotational speed.
I personally think that removing the pitch control is equivalent to painting yourself into a corner in that respect - I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole no matter how cool it looked.

Gdg
11-05-2010, 16:48
coz it looks cool as

im even thinking about removing the buttons and 45rpm adapter hole
Grrrr... Hamish, you stool my ideas !
just kidding, of course ;)

Anyway, I planned an extreme mod, removing everything from the upper side of the base, included the strobo tower (no pitch control, no need for the strobo).

The Vinyl Adventure
11-05-2010, 17:02
Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking

chris, it's quartz locked... If it's spinning at the wrong speed it's broken... I do take your point, but respectfully, I'm gonna ignor it completely :)

MartinT
11-05-2010, 17:20
Chris, you don't need the pitch control on a Techie because it locks to exact speed on the centre detent. It's for DJs only.

Hamish, that's a strange one: tick-tock on a Techie? I wouldn't lose the cueing light tower as I find it very helpful in the near-dark.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-05-2010, 17:24
tick-tock?
i never use the cueing light

kininigin
11-05-2010, 17:25
nice!

i want to have a go at doing another one my self... you sound like you know what your doing as regards getting a good finish... can you give me a run through of how you did it, what sandpapers to use (and where to get them) and what paints and lacqures(?) and what wetsanding means ... sorry to be a pain :)

will do hamish,im off to the cinema tonight so will tell you how i did it either later tonight or tomorrow.

MartinT
11-05-2010, 17:29
tick-tock?

Isn't that a Linn Ittok arm?

Stratmangler
11-05-2010, 17:32
Chris, you don't need the pitch control on a Techie because it locks to exact speed on the centre detent. It's for DJs only.

Hamish, that's a strange one: tick-tock on a Techie? I wouldn't lose the cueing light tower as I find it very helpful in the near-dark.

I had a look at the manual Martin - I'm aware that the pitch control is primarily a function for DJ's for synching up their BPM's on choons, but I'm more concerned about the impedence of the sliding potentiometer in the centre detente position.

Is that the fix - replace the slider for a fixed resistor ?

Stratmangler
11-05-2010, 17:34

Looks like a Tik Tok.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-05-2010, 18:08

OOOOOHH i see... i dunno... i found it on 12x0 forums...

The Vinyl Adventure
11-05-2010, 18:11
I had a look at the manual Martin - I'm aware that the pitch control is primarily a function for DJ's for synching up their BPM's on choons, but I'm more concerned about the impedence of the sliding potentiometer in the centre detente position.

i know how to do it... i read it here

http://www.12x0.de/index.php?forum-showposts-1116

The Vinyl Adventure
11-05-2010, 18:11
will do hamish,im off to the cinema tonight so will tell you how i did it either later tonight or tomorrow.

that would be great, cheers buddy!!

Stratmangler
11-05-2010, 18:26

Seems simple enough to do - I'd be inclined to use a DMM to check impedences with the fader in the centre detente myself, just to be doubly sure.
After all, if the impedence (or lack of it in the example posted) is incorrect then the oscillator will be working at the wrong frequency and the pitch will be incorrect.

MartinT
11-05-2010, 18:29

Actually, I suspect there is a switch in there since the 'locked' LED comes on in the centre position, so I don't think the slider resistance is relevant when centred.

Stratmangler
11-05-2010, 18:50
Actually, I suspect there is a switch in there since the 'locked' LED comes on in the centre position, so I don't think the slider resistance is relevant when centred.

You can understand my "approach with caution" stance ?

Stratmangler
11-05-2010, 19:03
I've just been looking at the service manual - interesting reading.
It has the impedence values that should be seen when testing out a SL1200.
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-1200.shtml

MartinT
11-05-2010, 20:06
Direct links to Vinyl Engine don't work :(

Stratmangler
11-05-2010, 20:45
You need to join to access the library.

MartinT
11-05-2010, 21:43
I am joined, so no problem for me it's just a shame that two forums can carry a dispute on for so long.

Stratmangler
11-05-2010, 21:45
I see what you mean - I've just tried the link.
I hadn't realised.

Marco
11-05-2010, 22:18
Hi guys,

There's no dispute as far as we're concerned. No-one from AOS admin has had any contact with VE for over two years, including me. The head honcho from VE appears to have other ideas though in terms of creating bad feeling between the two forums, and appears to be harboring some sort of rather petty grudge..... :rolleyes:

No matter, we just simply ignore it and move on! :)

Marco.

Gdg
12-05-2010, 07:13

eheheh, that was me asking for that mod :eyebrows:
Happy that it was a useful thread for you, Hamish ;)

Alex_UK
12-05-2010, 19:37
coz it looks cool as

... a normal turntable, like a Pro-Ject Debut 3, for instance? :scratch:

http://www.insound.com/noteworthy/images/project3blue.jpg

;)

Surely part of the appeal is that the Techie doesn't look like an everyday turntable like a Pro-Ject or Rega? No? OK, I'll get me coat! ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
12-05-2010, 19:46
Shh alex what do you knows?! Hehe ;)

:doh:

kininigin
13-05-2010, 16:21
so i have finished putting the 1200 back together after giving it a polish and everthing works fine thank god.

I've set it up as best as i could with what i've got.I could do with a decent single shelf rack and some sugestions on headshells and cartridges at the budget end of things as im skint atm.

Im using a technics headshell and a stanton 500-II cartridge doesn't sound to bad in fact it sounds more 3-d than the tc7520 and more projected not sure if this is due to the croft though.

colinB
13-05-2010, 16:29
Well done sir , looks great. Tempted to do mine in white.
I got a sumiko headshell for my arm. Looks great but didnt notice any difference. It used to be recommended a lot but i think there is differing opinions. Its heavier than the standard and i had to use the arm balance weight because of my cart being light.
I started with a AT 120e as a cart which worked well and then got a good deal on e bay for a ortofon 2m blue which im very happy with. The red version would look good on your deck!

kininigin
13-05-2010, 17:07
Here's the materials i used and how i did it.I did everthing by hand.

Halfords Aluminium oxide sand paper-Assorted grades 2x40 1x 60 1 x80

Halfords wet and dry sand paper-Assorted grades 1 x240 1x 600 1x 800 1x 1x 1200.

Simoniz Grey primer Acrylic spray paint 500ml

Hycote audi laser red double Acrylic spray paint 150ml x 3

Carplan clear Acrylic lacquer 400ml

Carplan rubbing compound

Carplan triplewax car polish

First i used the 80 oxide paper to take the paint down to the aluminium.
then wiped with a damp cloth and allowed to dry.

I put the primer in some hot water for 5 mins to help get a finer spray(read this somewhere) put about 3- 4coats on with about 15- 30mins between each coat.I didn't sand it till i couldn't see any aluminium.Not sure if i was holding the can too far away as it took a few coats to cover.

On the 3-4 coat i allowed to dry for 24hrs then used the 600 wet sand paper to smooth off.you soak the paper for 10-15 mins.Wet sanding is used because the paper doesn't clog up and cause scratches.

I then put another coat on left for 30mins then wet sanded with 800 grade.

Then one more coat and final wet sand at the 1200 grade each time kepping the primer in hot/warm water.Left for at least 24hrs

I went through the same process with the laser red paint.

Bit of advice if you do it out side make sure it's not windy and do it away frome tress and bushes where bits of flowers and insects are about.
Also make sure you get the edges and corners well covered or you will keep having to touch it up after you sand it.

After the last coat of laser red i left for 24 hrs.

With the lacquer i didn't put it in any hot water.I put the first coat on and left it to dry for about 30mins.When it drys it leaves an orange peel effect so when it comes to wet sanding it make sure it's all gone.you will have to wipe with a dry cloth as you do it to see if it has gone.
I repeated thr process 3 times working my way up to the 1200 grade paper.

Again left for 24hrs.Next was the rubbing compound just apply with clean damp cloth and rub evenly until surface is smooth.then wipe again with clean wet cloth and allow to dry.

Finally apply the car polish spread evenly allow to dry to a haze then buff the shit out of it with a lint free cloth.

colinB
13-05-2010, 17:31
Thanks for the great guide, feeling a bit braver about it.
I have a few dents from its previous life as aclub deck. Im wondering if there is good filler i could use pre paint job.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-05-2010, 17:33
excelent stuff... cheers for that!... i supose if i went to halfords they could no doubt advise on metal filler to use

The Vinyl Adventure
ha!

The Vinyl Adventure
Thanks for the great guide, feeling a bit braver about it.
I have a few dents from its previous life as aclub deck. Im wondering if there is good filler i could use pre paint job.

odd timing

colinB
13-05-2010, 17:40
Just to make sure ive got this right, with the lazer red did you follow every step you took from the prime paint stage? In other words 3-4 coats then sand coat finer sand coat and so on.

kininigin
13-05-2010, 18:02
yes colin the first few coats i applyed thinly then i would apply more thickly when it came to sanding.Just take it steady and you should be fine don't rush it.By the way i used 3 cans of lazer red at 150ml each this was just about enough so if you buy 600ml or more that should be enough.

Also i read that it you use red paint to not use a grey primer as this dulls the colour and to use something like orange.Not sure how true that is,but something to consider.

Hope this helps.

kininigin
13-05-2010, 18:06
Well done sir , looks great. Tempted to do mine in white.
I got a sumiko headshell for my arm. Looks great but didnt notice any difference. It used to be recommended a lot but i think there is differing opinions. Its heavier than the standard and i had to use the arm balance weight because of my cart being light.
I started with a AT 120e as a cart which worked well and then got a good deal on e bay for a ortofon 2m blue which im very happy with. The red version would look good on your deck!

i'll look into these carts and headshells i haven't got a scooby about this side of things so plenty of reading and research ahead of me.

ReggieB
14-05-2010, 18:39
kininigin, your TT looks splendid.

Very interesting thread. I think I am starting to understand why there is so much enthusiasm for Technics 1200 here. I particularly liked seeing the pictures of the deck at different stages during the process.

kininigin
14-05-2010, 21:10
cheers reggie,this is my first deck that i've used for hi fi use so it's new to me in that respect,but love the way you can upgrade a bit at a time for not ridiculous amounts of money.There's allways going to be replacement parts if it did bugger up,although thats highly unlikely.

I bought mine for £100.It was used in a club and had seen heavy use.After a bit of tlc it's as good as new.

chris@panteg
20-05-2010, 09:50
Impressive Darren, i should think your system is very effective running the Micro25 into active speakers and so simple .

DSJR
20-05-2010, 16:49
Micro 25 driving active speakers - via long interconnects? Not sure it's ideal, but if it works, that's great for you - my old Crofty preamp didn't like it one bit.

kininigin
20-05-2010, 17:56
Micro 25 driving active speakers - via long interconnects? Not sure it's ideal, but if it works, that's great for you - my old Crofty preamp didn't like it one bit.

Is there some technical reason why this is not ideal?

It's my first time with valves and active speakers for that matter.

kininigin
06-06-2010, 21:01
i have just recieved my rca jack plate from kab to connect decent cables to and am thinking i might rewire the tone arm aswell.

I was thinking maybe some of this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120574719506&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT would this be suitable for the technics tonearm?

If not can anyone reccomend some wire?

Also there are 5 wire coming out the tonearm the 5th being the ground if i went for the cardas how would i address this?

colinB
06-06-2010, 21:24
Hi Darren, theres some really good photos on Audio origami forum which will show you what you need to do. I thought about doing it my self but i chickened out despite having experience as a spark many years ago. When you solder Litz wire you have to use a small soldering iron and literally touch the wire quickly when you tin it. I was also told by a technics service engineer that getting the wires through the tube is very fiddley.
Jon at audio origami is the best person to go to if you wanted someone to do it for you, he is a nice bloke and he will check your bearings and put foam into the tube but your looking at £125.

jonners
07-06-2010, 08:02
i have just recieved my rca jack plate from kab to connect decent cables to and am thinking i might rewire the tone arm aswell.

I was thinking maybe some of this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120574719506&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT would this be suitable for the technics tonearm?

If not can anyone reccomend some wire?

Also there are 5 wire coming out the tonearm the 5th being the ground if i went for the cardas how would i address this?

Hi Darren

That wire has an external diameter of 3.2mm, so it's going to be far too thick and you will never get it through.
A search on eBay for tonearm wire will turn up several alternatives. I used this to rewire my Technics arm: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TONEARM-WIRE-QUALITY-COPPER-LITZ-99p-METRE-/180494808653?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0654364d#ht_3464wt_925

Gdg
07-06-2010, 08:39
Hi Darren

That wire has an external diameter of 3.2mm, so it's going to be far too thick and you will never get it through.
A search on eBay for tonearm wire will turn up several alternatives. I used this to rewire my Technics arm: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TONEARM-WIRE-QUALITY-COPPER-LITZ-99p-METRE-/180494808653?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0654364d#ht_3464wt_925

I used just this kit for my SL 1210 MK5. This wire is really easy to work with, and it really sounds good.

kininigin
07-06-2010, 10:40
Hi Darren, theres some really good photos on Audio origami forum which will show you what you need to do. I thought about doing it my self but i chickened out despite having experience as a spark many years ago. When you solder Litz wire you have to use a small soldering iron and literally touch the wire quickly when you tin it. I was also told by a technics service engineer that getting the wires through the tube is very fiddley.
Jon at audio origami is the best person to go to if you wanted someone to do it for you, he is a nice bloke and he will check your bearings and put foam into the tube but your looking at £125.

I cannot afford £125 atm unless i sell something so that is not an option for me.

Im not 100% confident at doing this but enough to give it a go.

After the rewire a new headshell(sumiko?) and cartridge(nagaoka?) that's me done for a while with upgrades and i can concentrate on buying some music.

kininigin
07-06-2010, 10:44
Hi Darren

I thought it looked a bit thick,i'll go for the litz in that case and it's nice and cheap just like me.

One more thing how do i ground the tone arm?

The Vinyl Adventure
07-06-2010, 10:47
This may be of use... This is the thing I was looking for the other day

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-148792.html

jonners
07-06-2010, 11:09
I thought it looked a bit thick,i'll go for the litz in that case and it's nice and cheap just like me.

One more thing how do i ground the tone arm?

There's a ground connection in the base of the arm. You don't have to pass a ground wire through it.

Gdg
07-06-2010, 11:16
Better view of Hamish link:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=148792

Darren *WATCH OUT*
The link above was the one I used to learn how to rewire my TT. The guy twisted the 4 signals wires AND the ground wire (the black one) togheter. *DON't DO IT*. Just fix the black wire somewhere by itself. It is fixed to a plate inside the tonearm and if you try to remove it, sure you will break the welding and then you have to disassemble the whole tonearm.
I did myself that silliness :steam:.

You really don't need to touch or change the ground wire, just use like it is.

Then, remember two things you don't need to do it to rewire, but you will be tempted to do if you are a curious person:
1)
don't remove the tonearm from the base (you don't need to do it to rewire), since it's a difficult matter to set the VTA spring at is original place (not impossible, but a real pain)
2)
never, never, never, try and unscrew the screws of the pivot bearings. They are machine fitted with a very high accuracy (and are glued, too). If you unscrew them you'll have to dump the tonearm.

HTH

jonners
07-06-2010, 13:12
I used just this kit for my SL 1210 MK5. This wire is really easy to work with, and it really sounds good.

OK Giovanni, thanks for putting me right on that. I struggled to get the really thin stuff through!

kininigin
07-06-2010, 13:35
Better view of Hamish link:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=148792

Darren *WATCH OUT*
The link above was the one I used to learn how to rewire my TT. The guy twisted the 4 signals wires AND the ground wire (the black one) togheter. *DON't DO IT*. Just fix the black wire somewhere by itself. It is fixed to a plate inside the tonearm and if you try to remove it, sure you will break the welding and then you have to disassemble the whole tonearm.
I did myself that silliness :steam:.

You really don't need to touch or change the ground wire, just use like it is.

Then, remember two things you don't need to do it to rewire, but you will be tempted to do if you are a curious person:
1)
don't remove the tonearm from the base (you don't need to do it to rewire), since it's a difficult matter to set the VTA spring at is original place (not impossible, but a real pain)
2)
never, never, never, try and unscrew the screws of the pivot bearings. They are machine fitted with a very high accuracy (and are glued, too). If you unscrew them you'll have to dump the tonearm.

HTH

nice one Giovanni that's cleared a fewv things up for me i now feel confident to do this now and those pictures helped alot.Sorry to hear about your problems with the rewire.Hope it wasn't too much hassel putting it right.

kininigin
07-06-2010, 13:40
This may be of use... This is the thing I was looking for the other day

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-148792.html

I was looking for some videos on how to rewire a technics tonearm.Someone can talk me through things but a picture paints a thousand words

colinB
07-06-2010, 17:00
I saw the original link Hamish posted a while back when i was thinking of it and that put me of! The guy seemed so frustrated by the whole thing, but when you see the pictures it makes a big difference.
When you open up the pipe, it may be worth considering putting in a little cotton wading or a pipe cleaner. I read this helps keep the wires in place when your working on it and will help dampen resonance.
Good luck

leo
07-06-2010, 18:26
Nice thread guys, got to say I'm tempted to re-wire my 1210mkII with this stuff http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TONEARM-REWIRING-KIT-4m-LITZ-WIRE-TAGS-HEAT-SHRINK-/180494808735?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0654369f if the improvement is worth the effort

jonners
07-06-2010, 18:54
I think that the guy in Hamish's link makes it sound like a tougher and longer process than it is. You do have to be very careful though when you remove the headshell connector, since if it comes off with a sudden jerk the wires will probably break off and get lost down the tube. Also make sure the solder joints between the old and new wires are secure - one of my new wires came adrift and it took a bit of fiddling to retrieve it.

The Vinyl Adventure
07-06-2010, 19:43
I think that the guy in Hamish's link makes it sound like a tougher and longer process than it is.

yeah i thought that, im fairly cack handed, but i think that guy is making a lot more fuss over it.
why dont you make a photo "blog" of you doing yours to show us

leo
07-06-2010, 20:11
When I get around to having a bash (not sure when it'll be) I'll be sure to take some pics. I'm much faster with pcb electronics than fiddly wiring :lol:

Apart from the wiring what else could do with improving on the Technics 1210mkII arm? Late to vinyl so have a lot of catching up to do

jonners
07-06-2010, 21:29
Apart from the wiring what else could do with improving on the Technics 1210mkII arm? Late to vinyl so have a lot of catching up to do

Damping the arm tube is one possibility but I never seriously tried it.
The KAB fluid damper is a good addition: http://www.kabusa.com/TD1200X.HTM
It's fairly expensive for what it is though, and I believe some people have made diy versions.

colinB
07-06-2010, 21:32
The technics guy i bought my deck from told me when baring the wires ready for tinning the best thing to use is fine sand paper. Could be a useful tip.

leo
07-06-2010, 21:42
Damping the arm tube is one possibility but I never seriously tried it.
The KAB fluid damper is a good addition: http://www.kabusa.com/TD1200X.HTM
It's fairly expensive for what it is though, and I believe some people have made diy versions.

Ok ta, well its good to get a few idea's of things to look into.
I always prefer to diy when possible, helps you learn much more imo:)

leo
07-06-2010, 21:46
The technics guy i bought my deck from told me when baring the wires ready for tinning the best thing to use is fine sand paper. Could be a useful tip.

Yes, just be careful not to do it too much making the copper brittle, my solder station has a hot air gun which is usually ok for stripping the enamel off the copper. It looks like the type of litz cable seen in headphone cables

kininigin
10-06-2010, 14:02
i need some help,got my litz wire today so thought i'd start today.

To cut a long story short i fooked up and need some advice on how to thread the new cable through as the solder joint broke.

I also tried to use the ground wire with an extra length of litz attached but that broke aswell:doh:

Gdg
10-06-2010, 14:42
Darren,
can you post some pics of the messed parts of tonearm?
If you broke the inner soldering of the ground wire you have to remove the tonearm from the base. Not real difficult, don't worry.....

kininigin
10-06-2010, 15:09
hi Gdg,I've managed to sort it now and get the ground wire back through.

It was extremely fiddly though.I must admit i wouldn't like to do it again any time soon,all part of the learning curve i suppose.

colinB
10-06-2010, 18:47
Hows it sounding Darren?

kininigin
10-06-2010, 20:19
i have got to fit the jack plate yet after having a few frank spencer moments,
so should be done tomorrow.

kininigin
11-06-2010, 12:42
i need some help again i have got as far as soldering the 4 core cardas cable to the turret and now need to solder to the rca jack plate here im a little confused:scratch:.

im not sure how to connect the 4 cables to the two rca connectors,anyone know how it should be done?

kininigin
11-06-2010, 20:26
sorted

colinB
11-06-2010, 21:35
Glad to here it. I had problems tonight putting on my new arm tonight .
The cartridge ofset was so deep i couldnt push it back far enough because the wire tags were in the way. Managed to break one but luckily i had some spare and im now listening to some tunes. Very satisfying after all that drama isnt it.

kininigin
12-06-2010, 09:06
Glad to here it. I had problems tonight putting on my new arm tonight .
The cartridge ofset was so deep i couldnt push it back far enough because the wire tags were in the way. Managed to break one but luckily i had some spare and im now listening to some tunes. Very satisfying after all that drama isnt it.

It would be if i could get rid of the hum i now have :scratch:

I cannot seem to work it out,another day messing about ahead of me.

I've not listened properly yet but can already tell that it is miles better than the stock wire.

Glad to hear your listening to tunes now,how you finding the arm?

colinB
13-06-2010, 15:26
The arm sounds great Darren , really noticing it with vocal music.
I would say though i dont think the stock arm is a bad arm and a bit of extra TLC on it is worth it. One thing ill miss is the detachable head , it is just so much easier to work with.
Sorry about the dam hum, hope you get it sorted. I had hum once , some kind of earth loop fault in a new amplifier that was thankfully fixed under warranty.
You might have to get the multi meter out and check the earth i guess.
Have a word with the members on the DIY section. Leo and Ali are very knowlegable with that kind of thing. Good luck

kininigin
14-06-2010, 21:24
ok i'll ask on the diy pages.

I know a sparky so should be able to get a multi meter off him and maybe he can help find the problem,but i'll see if someone in the diy section can help first.

colinB
14-06-2010, 22:51
Like the ninja tunes avatar. Its made me dig out some old neglected stuff

kininigin
17-06-2010, 16:45
ninja tunes is one of my favorite labels,such a variety of different sounds which suits me as there is someone who covers the type of music i like.

Ninja tunes is the only label which i will buy from without listening to first as im sure i will get a quality album.

Sorted the hum problem i think it was an interconnect,im not sure but it's gone now :scratch:

Had another problem though.I was using different i/c's one of which was a pair of profigold's which have locking clamps on them.One of them got stuck on the left female rca on the croft.

So trying to twist it back off the whole rca connector must of been twisting and broke a solder joint :doh:

After losing sound in the left channel i thought it was something to do with my wiring on the 1200.So i rewired everthing again taking more care and time as i rushed it a bit the first time.

Still no sound in the left channel :steam:

So after a couple of days scratching my head i took a look in the croft and found the problem,quick blast with the solder iron and problem solved :)

All i need now is a decent cartridge.

Vinyl wise i will be buying funk,dub and electronic music mainly so something which can convey rhythm well,has good control of bass and is detailed my budget is up to about £100 but would like to keep it under if possible.

I know nothing about different cartridges and this is likely to be my last purchase for a while so would like to get right.

So what should be on my shorlist?

p.s. the croft is mm only

Marco
17-06-2010, 17:15
Hi Darren,

I've got the very thing for you, cartridge wise, and if you're interested it'll cost you the princely sum of £25!

I have a virtually unused Shure SC35C MM cartridge, which sounds better than it has any right to through my Croft phono stage, especially for playing the kind of music you're into. It would be ideal for that, and sounds pretty much just as you describe :)

I'd say that mounted on the Techie arm, which really suits MM carts, it's as good as anything else up to £100 (although it costs less much less than that new because it's sold through the DJ market), especially through a quality phono stage like yours.

It'll certainly get you on the way to spinning some tunes, and you can spend the remaining £75 on records!

PM me if you're interested :cool:

Marco.

kininigin
17-06-2010, 18:12
pm sent marco

Marco
17-06-2010, 18:39
Sorted, matey :cool:

Marco.

Alex_UK
17-06-2010, 18:50
Cinematic Orchestra, Bonobo, Mr. Scruff to name but three (off the top of my head) - yep, brilliant label.

Sorry, as you were.

colinB
17-06-2010, 20:55
Roots Manuva. Best UK rap artist , no question.

Alex_UK
17-06-2010, 21:07
Roots Manuva. Best UK rap artist , no question.

Wouldn't argue with that - Rodney Smith (don't you love some of the real names!) is at the top of his game, though I'm less inclined to listen to rap/hip-hop these days- pipe & slippers beckons!

kininigin
17-06-2010, 21:13
love a bit of manuva,such a distintive voice.

Also phi life cypher love there style.

colinB
17-06-2010, 21:16
Even at my age im up for the ocasional block rockin beats.
I had to draw the line when some friends recently asked me to an oldies House night at Ministry of Sound.
Thats just not going to happen.

kininigin
17-06-2010, 21:18
Cinematic Orchestra, Bonobo, Mr. Scruff to name but three (off the top of my head) - yep, brilliant label.

Sorry, as you were.

I've been listening to lots of bonobo latley great stuff but my favorite artist from ninja has got to be herbaliser,funk,hip hop great collaborations dj sets live band sets they rock it everytime.

The Vinyl Adventure
18-06-2010, 05:56
Just bought black sands the other day my self... Bonobo have always skirted my music collection, although I have no idea why I have always liked it!

Sounds like you have had a bit of a rollercoaster with that turntable of late, although I'm glad it sounds like it's going your way now!

kininigin
18-06-2010, 08:57
i'll have to put that on the list then.Did you buy vinyl version or cd?

You have no idea hamish,i have taken apart the 1200 so many times now i reckon i could do it in my sleep.

Had my first proper listen with the jack plate and mark grant cables last night and im impressed (mainly due to the croft i suspect) but none the less it's impressive to me.

From what i read the psu should bring big improvements but that will have to wait for now,a few hundred quid can get a lot of vinyl.

Should have a bigger improvement after recieving a new headshell and cart (thanks marco :)).

The Vinyl Adventure
18-06-2010, 09:04
Cd version, Ita a little compressed to be honest, buts it's still good!
Have you heard four tets new ablum? That worth a listen too... Got that on vinyl te other day... It's a bit more commercial than the early stuff - more conventionaly dancey bu still comes highly recomended from me...
What's te best bonobo album? I like the slightly more flowery aspect to bonobo if that makes sence ... Good and relaxing!

Alex_UK
18-06-2010, 11:08
I'd recommend ALL the Bonobo albums - but Days to Come is probably my fave... apart from the odds & sods they're all on Spotify so try before you buy... http://open.spotify.com/artist/0cmWgDlu9CwTgxPhf403hb

Alex_UK
18-06-2010, 11:13
And check these out too - http://open.spotify.com/album/7MMzqrV0u3ATHCPfOhXo3W

http://open.spotify.com/album/4mhfKYYJHYVp6gKAkOxRkA

Sorry for thread drift, mods - feel free to make a Ninja Tunes thread from this crapping!

kininigin
19-06-2010, 07:11
I'd recommend ALL the Bonobo albums - but Days to Come is probably my fave... apart from the odds & sods they're all on Spotify so try before you buy... http://open.spotify.com/artist/0cmWgDlu9CwTgxPhf403hb

i'll second that Days to come is the pick of the bunch.Dial 'M' for monkey comes second for me,has a light and breezy feel to it.

kininigin
19-06-2010, 07:21
Cd version, Ita a little compressed to be honest, buts it's still good!
Have you heard four tets new ablum? That worth a listen too... Got that on vinyl te other day... It's a bit more commercial than the early stuff - more conventionaly dancey bu still comes highly recomended from me...
What's te best bonobo album? I like the slightly more flowery aspect to bonobo if that makes sence ... Good and relaxing!

Not heard of four tets before i'll try and check them out.

There's so much music out there to remember and find i lose track of what im looking for half the time :)

Days to come should be in your collection if you like bonobo and dial m for monkey.

The Vinyl Adventure
19-06-2010, 10:38
Four Tet is what your looking for...

kininigin
29-06-2010, 17:37
After buying a Shure SC35C Cart,Audio Technica headshell and clearaudio cart leads off marco (thanks again :)) and using them for about a week i thought i'd give my impressions of it.

Marco suggested a tracking force between 2.8g and 3.0g and after a few hours listening i settled for 3.0g.

I put on charles wright and the watts 103rdstreet rythhm band's 'do your thing'
turned the volume to a suitably loud level and sat back next thing i know im doing some sort of funky chicken dance on the sofa.I listened to that track 5 times in a row.

Now i have no experience with other carts (apart from the stanton 500 al) so can only compare it to that but the SC35C has clear but smooth presentation and a much more tuneful bass than the stanton which was bloated and pretty poor.I find this cart quite musical as in im listening to tracks as a whole and not being drawn to one particular area.
I've been impressed with the trebal as well,before it was congested and somewhat harsh now i can clearly hear different hi hats playing in a non fatiguing way.
I now have a much better defined soundstage as well so all in all im very happy with it.

If i had to be picky i would like a bit more sparkle to the top end and a bit more forceful tight solid bass but for the money the shure cost's i have no complaints.

DSJR
29-06-2010, 17:47
Not sure (sorry :)) if it fits the body, but the M75-EJ might just have what you're looking for. Tracks at 2 grammes safely, has a similar "feel" to the SC35C and official styli are still around if you google.. The M95-EJ didn't light any fires, but the M97-EJ was well liked for it's smooth but punchy delivery..

These things are so cheap you could take a punt and sell on if not happy.

P.S. The EJ series LOVE the Lenco L75 tonearm...

Gdg
29-06-2010, 18:25
Some time ago, looking for info about the Denon DL 103, I found this interesting thread about the Shure SC35C:
http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21307

I don't know if the ex-Marco's is a vintage one, but it seems to be a nice pro cart anyway.

DSJR
29-06-2010, 18:44
Interesting about the "official" stylus types. I can't remember the one I had - directly from the BBC, but it possibly had the white writing on the stylus (mid eighties production). It sounded rather like an M75-EJ, hence my post above.

Marco
29-06-2010, 18:48
Hi Darren,

I'm glad it's hitting the spot :)

I found it to be quite an incredible sounding cartridge for the money - I mean way, way better than it's price suggests, so I'm glad you seem to be experiencing this, too.

It should suit the arm you're using very well, and the AT headshell should give it that bit more mass, which the Shure likes to make it sound very controlled and 'unflustered'.

I suspect that mine wasn't one of the 'fancy' US versions (the article on VE also intrigued me) but it should do the job for you nicely until you decide to spend rather more on something else to better it :cool:

Marco.

kininigin
29-06-2010, 21:08
Not sure (sorry :)) if it fits the body, but the M75-EJ might just have what you're looking for. Tracks at 2 grammes safely, has a similar "feel" to the SC35C and official styli are still around if you google.. The M95-EJ didn't light any fires, but the M97-EJ was well liked for it's smooth but punchy delivery..

These things are so cheap you could take a punt and sell on if not happy.

P.S. The EJ series LOVE the Lenco L75 tonearm...

thanks for the suggestion but im happy enough with what i've got and would rather buy records atm.

Out of curiousity what do you make of this http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1495?

Marco
29-06-2010, 21:22
That's very interesting, Darren. Jico have an excellent reputation (as mentioned too on the thread on VE), so that stylus might really make your SC35C fly!

If you can afford it, I'd be very tempted to try it :)

If it does the same job the Shure N21D stylus does to an M3D cartridge then you'll be laughing.

Marco.

kininigin
29-06-2010, 21:45
temptations temptations what to do?

More vinyl or another stylus :scratch:

Marco
29-06-2010, 21:50
Lol - if you have to choose between one and the other, I'd go for more vinyl. The stylus thing can easily be done a later date.

For the moment just enjoy your choons with your new cartridge :)

Marco.

kininigin
29-06-2010, 21:54
no i've made my mind up im buying records im happy with what i've got so for the time being it's staying as it is.

Anyone have any suggestions for isolation for a t/t.I need a single shelf type due to space and cannot wall mount as im renting.

kininigin
29-06-2010, 22:01
Lol - if you have to choose between one and the other, I'd go for more vinyl. The stylus thing can easily be done a later date.

For the moment just enjoy your choons with your new cartridge :)

Marco.

yep my thoughts exactly

colinB
29-06-2010, 22:07
For a cheap support you could always go for the legendary hi fi support the IKEA LACK table. Linn owners sware by them. That and four lumps of sorbothane.

kininigin
29-06-2010, 22:16
not sure if that will be any better than what i've got now but it's cheap enough to find out i suppose.

colinB
29-06-2010, 22:25
Single Quadraspire shelves can go cheap on E bay. Always coming up. Be very low but you can always plonk it on your table.

kininigin
02-12-2010, 20:08
bit of an update on where i am with the 1200.

After buying a timestep from marco,which wasn't fun,think missed delivery, sciatica and long walks to a delivery depot which has moved limping in pain the whole way, i was eager to get it up and running.

In anticipation i had all ready prepaired the 1200 for the new psu.This is when i ran into my first problem.As this was bought from marco he had the original dc lead which runs from the technics to the psu still attached to his t/t.

Marco supplied a new lead and new pin connector so i carried on fitting the dc cable when i suddenly realized that i didn't know if the centre pin on the psu was positive or negative polarity so had a hold up on that for a few more days till my sparky mate could test it for me (centre pin is positive).

By the time everything was up and running i was still in pain with sciatica so could not sit down and listen to music and then i had a 2 week trip to the alps so didn't get a listen till i got back.

So was all this time,pain and frustration worth it?

Hell yeah.Now im not brilliant at describing what i hear so i wont,but i will say this i now have a basket at juno records waiting for a payment of a few hundred pounds and i have just come back from a record fair with a bag full of records.

It's also the reason i have not been on the forum for a few weeks :eyebrows:

Im really enjoying my music atm so if you are considering upgrading your technics,i would put a new psu on the list.

p.s. i won a nagaoka mp 110 on ebay for £31 with a stated 12hrs use which i hope will bring me even more enjoyment.

colinB
02-12-2010, 22:23
Thanks for the review Darren. Let us know how the Nagaoka works out.

kininigin
03-12-2010, 19:16
Thanks for the review Darren. Let us know how the Nagaoka works out.

the nagaoka turned up today but im off to france sunday and working tomorrow so will have to wait till i get back.