PDA

View Full Version : Technics 1200GR vs Further mods on existing 1200MK2

chipcalzada
04-01-2019, 06:53
Hi all, this is my first thread. I have an existing 1200MK2 with the following mods: Rega 251 arm with michell tecnoweight, upgraded IC's (van den hul), isonoe feet and funk firm achromat. My cart is an AT PTGii MC and my phono stage is an eastern electric minimax phono. I'm already getting good sound however a friend that came over to listen commented that my cart would be a better match with an arm that has VTA since the stylus is sensitive to VTA.

My original plan was to proceed with my upgrades consisting of the KAB psu and a new bearing (undecided as to which one) as well. Upon checking the price of both upgrades I thought I could stretch my budget and get the 1200GR which allows the VTA adjustment and is easier to swap out cartridges as well.

I've read on another forum of a gentleman who had the 1200mk2 with all the KAB upgrades and then bought the 1200gr and said that it sounded "slightly" better i.e. more refined in the treble and louder. Has anyone gone through the same upgrade path? Is it worth getting the new 1200gr instead of adding mods?

Thanks in advance.

Wakefield Turntables
04-01-2019, 08:56
Very few people (if any) on here have "upgraded" to the gr deck. I would assume they are happy with the 1200/1210 in a modded guise.

DSJR
04-01-2019, 09:44
Too many mods may well affect resale value as it's a long discontinued model and not standard if you go too far. Not sure an RB251 is the best arm choice for this thing either (happy to be corrected). The new model is expensive in forum terms and maybe, just maybe, that's one reason few have bought one (the 1200mk2 series could be got new for Rega 3 money here in the UK and there used to be a good supply of fair-condition used ones to keep prices low for a while). Technics aren't probably selling anything like the number of units they used to, now the DJ fraternity has moved on, so that may play a part in the pricing of the current model, which may have motor 'dynamics' better suited to domestic vinyl playback.

Just some thoughts. By the way, you can fine tune VTA on cartridges like this by adjusting playing weight 1/10g either way - equivalent to a mm or two up and down at the pivot I gather...

Ammonite Audio
04-01-2019, 10:19
I do very much recommend the SL-1200GR and indeed upgrading it; and following my own experiences I wrote a blog piece on my website here https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/is-it-worth-upgrading-the-new-technics-sl-1200gr-turntable/ . The new SL-1200 decks have motor units that are technically and subjectively (in my view anyway) significantly better than the old models, and it’s only surprising that Technics took so long to adopt the direct drive motor topology favoured by Kenwood etc 30+ years ago! The new Technics decks have real musical grace.

Very few people (if any) on here have "upgraded" to the gr deck. I would assume they are happy with the 1200/1210 in a modded guise.

chipcalzada
04-01-2019, 10:27
Thanks for the replies. @Dsjr David surprisingly the Rega 251 tone arm works well with the techie. I had mine installed before I found out about possible mods to the original arm. I forgot to point out on my first post that the fellow that bought the new GR said that there was only a slight improvement from his modded 1200mk2 to the GR. Point being I’d rather implement mods slowly and grow my record collection rather than splashing out for the new GR. But if the difference in SQ is huge then will bite the bullet so to speak.

antonio
06-01-2019, 07:52
I have read the only mod needed on the new Technics is the KAB damper, ok and maybe the tonearm cable.

tlscapital
08-01-2019, 07:16
...commented that my cart would be a better match with an arm that has VTA since the stylus is sensitive to VTA.

There are VTA spacers mods parts exiting out there for the Rega 251 tonearms if ever. Just dig out on the net some and you might find different options. There's mat thickness and shims as well...

Turntable to tonearm combination can be a match or not so much but the cartridge/tonearm resonance is a much more critical combination point on the resonance factor for optimal performance.

The Technics tonearms are not my cup and are admitted by some of the SL-1200's defenders to be their "weakest" feature on the phono point of view. The GR's are even of the lighter mass kind.

Keep on modding your old Techie IMO.

CageyH
08-01-2019, 13:55
Would a Michell VTA adjuster fit?
I had an RB251 arm on an SL1200 and I found it clumsy due to the positioning of the arm lift.

walpurgis
08-01-2019, 15:16
Would a Michell VTA adjuster fit?
I had an RB251 arm on an SL1200 and I found it clumsy due to the positioning of the arm lift.

I've pointed out numerous times that Rega arms are a pain on Techies, but nobody listens.

It's not even a decent sounding combo, but if people have heard nothing better they wouldn't know.

Cycleallday
08-01-2019, 16:52
Totally disagree Geoff.

You may not like them but many of us do.

Have I heard anything ‘different’ - my Orbe with SME V and Ortofon Kontra b.

There is no ‘better’ items in HiFi world - only ‘different’ ones to appeal to different tastes.

Mel

Macca
08-01-2019, 17:51
I've pointed out numerous times that Rega arms are a pain on Techies, but nobody listens.

It's not even a decent sounding combo, but if people have heard nothing better they wouldn't know.

I've had a listen to an SL1210 with a Rega arm and it was excellent. Which is not to say you couldn't fit a better arm than a Rega ofc.

Spectral Morn
08-01-2019, 18:14
I've had a listen to an SL1210 with a Rega arm and it was excellent. Which is not to say you couldn't fit a better arm than a Rega ofc.

I have as well, and Origin live and all worked well.

CageyH
08-01-2019, 19:43
I had an AO modified RB251 and it sounded fine. The sound is not in question, but the arm lift was very annoying.
It was replaced by a Funk FX1200 which is in another league in my opinion.

tlscapital
09-01-2019, 08:52

These might be your conclusions, but what are your descriptions on this combination to come to that conclusion if we may ask ? We heard about the cue mechanism issue.

Oh, and turntable do not make a sound (hopefully). So are tonearms not even though they both have a "sound signature". The cartridge do make sound.

Hence the combination of cartridge to tonearm are the combination reference. Tonearm to turntable often quoted as but less in theory maths match. So more open to "creativity".

chipcalzada
14-01-2019, 02:52
Thanks to all for the constructive and helpful replies. I decided to hold on to my modded 1200 for the time being as I enjoy the sound and music that I'm hearing so that's enough for me (for now) :eyebrows:

I have the same issue with the arm lift which can be annoying but its an inconvenience that I'm willing to put up with until I have a record collection big enough to justify a turntable upgrade.

I'm currently on the fence about the outboard PSU upgrade, there seems to be polarizing views on this as some people claim sonic benefits (blacker background, etc) and others hear no benefits at all. So I did some research and found a local guy that has installed 1 or 2 outboard PSU upgrades on 1200's and this is what he told me: unless you have the hearing of a dog or a horse I wouldn't go through with it.

I think the PSU upgrade applies to those experiencing audible hum which is not the case of my 1200.

jda99
15-01-2019, 08:58
I would recommend a SoundDeadSteel mat underneath the Acromat, to damp down the platter.

But then you would need the raise the arm, although that might help with any issues with the lift.

Regards,

John

jda99
15-01-2019, 12:07
Silly me, just remembered, I had a Michell Tecnoarm (which is Rega based) on it in that configuration (SDS+Achromat) and there were absolutely no problems with operating it.

John

chipcalzada
16-01-2019, 00:58
Silly me, just remembered, I had a Michell Tecnoarm (which is Rega based) on it in that configuration (SDS+Achromat) and there were absolutely no problems with operating it.

John

Hi John,

I'll look into the SDS mat, thanks for the suggestion. What would you say it added to the sound quality besides properly damping the platter?

jda99
16-01-2019, 07:15
If you go to www.sounddeadsteel.com/HIFIWORLD ISOPLAT REVIEW, you will find HiFi World review of it.
It was considered a bargain at £100.
Just make sure to get the version for the Technics 1200 which is slightly smaller in diameter.

Regards,

John

worrasf
16-01-2019, 11:25
You might also want to consider the SDS damping puck while you're on their website. I have been extremely impressed with the sonic improvement over my previous Bruil weight. My thoughts of it here: https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?47643-SDS-(Soundeck)-damping-puck-query&p=1046422#post1046422

Steve

Spectral Morn
16-01-2019, 12:12
I would caution against over loading the platter. A Funk Firm mat on its own is all thats required and any who use metal/glass mats then an Oyaide BR One underneath works well.

Never had a problem with any Rega arm or arm based on a Rega on a Technics, so I am a bit bemused by others having a negative experience with one on a Technics.

chipcalzada
21-01-2019, 03:25
Hi Neil, in connection with your comment I did some experimenting and I realized that I prefer listening without any puck or weight on top of the record. I used to always use a rek-o-kut disc stabilizer with the achromat because it did change the sound to what I can best describe as more "airy" but as time went on I found that it was also smearing the sound. This is more noticeable with piano notes, with the puck on, it sounded smeared with an unnatural timbre compared to without. So I do all my listening now without the rek-o-cut.

rick76
02-08-2019, 08:13
Hello Chip,

I’m from Manila.. Do you know who is the local dealer for the new 1200GR? Thank you..