PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy Revolution XT6F @ £699

bonus
02-01-2019, 19:48
Hello,
There are some deals around at the moment and Im looking for a bit of advice on a new set of speakers.
Thinking of getting the Tannoy XT6F as they seem to have some good reviews and may sit well with my Rega ELEX R amp and P6. Also came across a review in What HiFi where they set out a £3k system with the Rega RP6 and the same amp that I have. https://www.whathifi.com/features/best-turntable-hi-fi-system-ps3000

Currently running Ditton 33 and they have a great sound (sound OK to me) but with only a set of Ditton 120 and Tannoy 603 to put them up against, I am unsure if they are at their best. I would also like to get something new rather than used.

I have up to £800 as a budget and the Tannoys seem good value at £699.

Any suggestions or comments?

Cheers
Bruce

hifinutt
03-01-2019, 12:05
bruce , there are always deals on speakers , no rush to buy . get a listen before you buy so you can hear them . tannoy are great but for many years i avoided the rooms with them in as i found them bright . however i run a pair now which are just superb .

Macca
03-01-2019, 13:49
I'm sure the Tannoy's are competent although moving from the Ditton 33 to a speaker with 'modern' voicing might be a bit of a shock.

Personally I'd go for something second hand, £800 will buy you some very good speakers in that market.

struth
03-01-2019, 13:54
Hello,
There are some deals around at the moment and Im looking for a bit of advice on a new set of speakers.
Thinking of getting the Tannoy XT6F as they seem to have some good reviews and may sit well with my Rega ELEX R amp and P6. Also came across a review in What HiFi where they set out a £3k system with the Rega RP6 and the same amp that I have. https://www.whathifi.com/features/best-turntable-hi-fi-system-ps3000

Currently running Ditton 33 and they have a great sound (sound OK to me) but with only a set of Ditton 120 and Tannoy 603 to put them up against, I am unsure if they are at their best. I would also like to get something new rather than used.

I have up to £800 as a budget and the Tannoys seem good value at £699.

Any suggestions or comments?

Cheers
Bruce

i would suggest hearing them first, but if then you like, buy.. they are good speakers

bonus
03-01-2019, 23:49
Unfortunately, there is nowhere local for me to listen to them. I have thought about new crossovers for the Ditton's as well, there are some on eBay for £100.
However, I've just seen Peter Tyson have the Tannoys for £499, box damaged but speakers ok. I'm going to get them and if I don't like them I'm sure to get my money back at that price.

Thanks all for your advice

hifinutt
05-01-2019, 18:43
well keep us informed how you get on , sounds quite a bargain

Edward
08-01-2019, 23:26
In addition to auditioning/buying more speakers do also consider replacing the capacitors in your Ditton 33s. Cheap to do (far cheaper than buying the crossovers from eBay) and relatively easy to do. You may be surprised how much improvement you will hear. I'm assuming your Dittons have not had their caps renewed.

bonus
16-01-2019, 12:39
New speakers received and very happy with them.

They sound great and look good too. Now I am busy playing all sorts and enjoying them.

Purchased from Peter Tyson via ebay for £499, I think that is a bargain, they have more as well.

Edward, I shall be replacing the capacitors, I just need to know best type to get. I looked inside the cabinet and they do look original. Ill post some pictures and start a new thread.

cheers